One

Only You

The rain was pouring heavily on a Friday night and Choi Ae-Ra was sobbing uncontrollaby, looking at her father who was unconscious on her bedroom floor. Her hand was holding the lamp that she used to hit him on the head and it was still trembling. She placed the lamp down and looked for her phone. While trying to compose herself, she dialled 911.

"H-hello? T-this is Choi Ae-Ra.. I just hit my father on the h-head and n-now he's... Unconcious" Ae-Ra managed to get her words out.

"Ms Choi? Could you explain to me briefly what happened? And your address please. I will despatch officers right away"

"H-he... He was beating me u-up because i refused t-to s-sleep with his friends. My apartment is - He's waking up.. N-no.. Oh my god i need to - NO! APPA STOP!"

"Ms Choi? Ms Choi?!"

"HELPPPPPPPP!"

"Ms Choi stay on the line. Despatch is on their way, we've tracked your location"

"YOU STUPID - "

"APPA STOP! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The despatch officers arrived not long after, and had to break down the door when they heard Ae-Ra's frantic screaming. When they finally managed to break down the door, Choi Baek Joo was strangling her, pushing her body almost out of the balcony. Two officers rushed forward and dragged him back into the living room where they pinned him down and handcuffed him while a female officer helped Ae-Ra.

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!" Baek Joo shouted and spat at his daughter. 

Ae-Ra was still crying while the female officer was comforting her. "You're safe now. We'll get you to the hospital and then take your statement. Do you have anybody to call? Your mother?"

"I have nobody else. It's just me and Appa" She said softly.

The officer nodded. "We'll sort something out for you. Can you walk? The medics are on their way"

Ae-Ra nodded and stood up, ignoring her father's harsh comments thrown at her. She quickly grabbed her phone and followed the female officer out. There was one person she wanted to call. But he knew nothing about this. She kept it from him, and most of her friends. Gathering her courage, she dialled his number - Han Seo Jun. They broke up a month ago but still.... No answer. Ae-Ra sighed.

She was brought to Myeongwoo Hospital where there were detectives already there waiting to question her. The doctor in charge told them to wait until after she was treated before bombarding with questions. Ae-Ra was numb throughout. She heard so much medical jargon and understood very little. All she could pick up was, trauma, broken rib, ual abuse, abrasions, bruises - but it all seemed like it didn't happen to her. It seemed like it was supposed to happen to someone else. After everthing was done, Ae-Ra was finally brought to an isolated ward where detectives could question her.

"I'm Detective Park Ji Sung and this is Detective Lee Haerin. We have some questions about your father" 

Ae-Ra nodded. "Am i going to jail?"

"What? Why would you think that?"

"I did hurt him. He was unconscious..." She started tearing up.

"Oh honey..." Detective Haerin took a seat next to her and hugged her. "None of this was your fault. You're the victim. You're the kid, your father was supposed to protect you"

"I'm so scared.. What if he comes here and hurts me again? I don't have anywhere to go or anyone else"

"We will do everything we can to place him behind bars where he can never see or touch you ever again" Detective Ji Sung said. "Could you tell us everything from the beginning..?"

"It started when i was 7 years old. Appa got fired from his factory job and started drinking, gambling, hanging out with the wrong crowd. The abuse started with Omma... And when she couldn't take it.. She left... When i was 10 years old" Ae-Ra paused for awhile, recalling the day she saw her mom pack her stuff and left without looking back. All she told Ae-Ra was Baek Joo would never hurt her because she was his daughter. Oh how wrong she was.

"After she left, things became much worse, i was his punching bag  and his source of making money. When he couldn't pay off his debts on time to loansharks.. He just... Sold me instead. If i refused, he would beat me up and then made the guys come over to our house instead to the deed while he went out, not wanting to be involved"

"Do you know the names of these individuals?" Detective Ji Sung asked as he wrote down in his notebook.

"Y-yes.. I wrote them all down in my phone. In case one day i ever needed this info" Ae-Ra took out her phone and showed her notes to both the detectives.

"Good work Ae-Ra" Detective Haerin smiled at her. "Now tell us what happened earlier.. How did it all escalate"

"I got home from school and Appa was getting ready to head out. He told me to meet him at a pub at 7pm and i didn't answer. He took that as a yes. When the time came and i wasn't there, he kept calling me until he finally came back home and.. Slammed my head against the refrigerator. H-he kept saying i got him in trouble and now he has to pay 4 million won to.. I don't know who.. He kept beating me until i finally got to run and grab a lamp and hit him as hard as i could..." Ae-Ra took a deep breath. "What's going to happen to me now?"

"No harm will come to you. But, you might need to face him during the trial in court and possibly for the other perpetrators"

"That's... Scary..."

"I know, but i'll be right beside you since you're a minor and do not have a guardian now. And the prosecutor will be there also. We'll guide you through everything. And if it gets too much, let us know"

"T-thank you.."

"We'll leave you to rest now. Here's our card, contact us if you ever need anything.." Detective Ji Sung handed over two namecards.

Ae-Ra smiled weakly and both detectives left her room. Once alone, her tears came down again and she fumbled for her phone. She dialled Choi Soo Ah's number and waited patiently for an answer. 

"Yobseyo????" Soo Ah answered in a singsong voice.

"Soo  Ah...." Ae-Ra said then started sobbing.

"Wae???? Where are you i'm coming right now!"

"Myeongwoo hospital"

"WHAT? Sit tight. I'll come with Soo Jin"

When her two best friends came, she reencountered everything with them and all three girls sat sitting together crying while hugging each other. They knew some parts of it but didn't know the extent of how bad it was. 

"So.. He's going to jail for good?" Soo Ah asked cautiously.

"I hope so"

"He better" Soo Jin muttered angrily. "Did you call Seo Jun?"

Ae-Ra shook her head. "We broke up remember... But i did call earlier. He didn't pick up.."

"When are you going to tell him all of this? He broke up with you thinking you cheated. He's absolutely livid" Soo Ah said.

"I don't know. I'm so ashamed. Who would ever want to date me again? I'm like a used toy" Ae-Ra said and started crying again. "Please just promise you guys won't tell anyone. I'll handle the school.."

"How long do you think you're going to be absent?"

"I have no idea.. I still need to sort out my housing situation.. Am i an orphan now?" Her voice cracked.

"NO! You're not an orphan. We're your family. Always will be" Soo Jin hugged her tightly.

Ae-Ra was grateful to have Soo Jin and Soo Ah. They've been friends since kindergarten and the only ones who knew what really goes on in her family. It would be great if she could talk to Seo Jun as well, but she was so ashamed of everything. There were so many secrets she hid from him no wonder he always assumed the worst. Her father always reminded her nobody would want a piece of thrash like and maybe it's true. Han Seo Jun will never accept her now.