LOML

Fortune tellers tell no lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/n: happy seulrene day everyone! This isn’t a new idea or anything but finally finally I’m getting around to writing it, and thank you my dear friend MeloMera for helping me decide on this particular fic :) since it turned out super well. I think you guys will really enjoy it, I think lol. Okay, happy Seulrene Day again, please enjoy!





 

The last place Bae Joohyun expected she would be was at a carnival. Not because she didn’t enjoy carnivals. She liked a carnival as much as any college student. After all, who didn’t like stuffing their faces with greasy delicious carnival food until they felt like throwing up? Or playing games until they won all the possible prizes. Joohyun sure did. She just had a lot of exams to study for right now. So coming to a carnival didn’t exactly seem like something she should be doing.

 

“Aw, cheer up, sis.” Her kid sister Yerim nudges her not so gently in the arm. “Aren’t you glad I dragged you out of your apartment today?”

 

Oh yeah. This is the reason why Joohyun is out here. Her sister is to blame. Instead of being in the comfort of her apartment, buried under her warm blankets, with her face in books. Only coming up for air when she needed to. She is outside surrounded by people. Lots of people. 

 

“Not really.” Joohyun sighs.

 

“You’ll change your mind, once we really start absorbing the carnival air.” Yerim actually inhales deeply and everything. 

 

“Are you high?”

 

“High?” Yerim raises a perfectly manicured brow toward her sister and laughs. “Silly sister, you ask silly questions. Now come on, you’ll feel better when you get some carnival food in you. You know you want some churros.” Yerim again nudges her not so gently in the arm. Curse her sister for being younger than her and actually a bit stronger than her too. Not that Joohyun would ever admit to Yerim she’s stronger than her or anything.

 

“Fine, but only because they smell good.”

 

They really did smell good too, in their golden deliciousness, perfectly fried and practically screaming for Joohyun to come have some. Yerim wasn’t helping matters either by going right up to the churro lady and ordering one each.

 

“Don’t say I never buy you anything.”

 

“Gee thanks, I’ll remember this the next time you ask me to buy you sushi from the expensive place you always order from.”

 

Yerim throws her head back and laughs. “Well, wait until I’m making the big bucks like you. I’ll pay you back.”

 

Before Joohyun can actually tell her sister that she isn’t actually making big bucks yet. On account she’s still in university, and her job pays her decently enough to survive on her own. But Joohyun wouldn’t say she’s making quote on quote “big” bucks.

 

“I thought you had a rich girlfriend you were seeing.”

 

“Shh!” Yerim shushes her suddenly. “Don’t jinx it, anyway. Competitive sis of mine. How about we play some games, I know how much you can’t resist the games.”

 

Now for the first time since they arrived Yerim sees a genuine smile on her sister’s face. Which was exactly her goal. She felt so sorry for Joohyun, wasting away in her apartment studying like a madwoman for her exams. Once she found out there was a carnival in town there was no way she wasn’t going to drag her sister out of the house so she could enjoy the day.

 

“You’re on, Bae Yerim. I hope you’re prepared to lose. Hold my churros.”

 

“You do know I’m just going to eat them, right?”

 

At that Joohyun laughs out loud, before hurrying up to finish the remainder of her churros. She sure wasn’t going to just hand them over to her kid sister who would definitely eat them. Now, all she had to do was figure out which game they could play. Joohyun figured that if she was going to spend her day here she might as well try and enjoy it.

 

“Come on, slowpoke.” Joohyun laughs, all childlike. “We’ve got a whole carnival to explore.”

 

Yerim frowns. “I think you’ve got a little too much carnival air in you, Hyun.” The younger sister chuckles and still follows her anyway. She had a good feeling taking Joohyun out to the carnival would be a good idea.


 


 

While, Kang Seulgi did enjoy a carnival as much as anyone. This wasn’t exactly how she thought she would be spending her one day out of her work week off, and yet here she was. She honestly had no idea what drew her here. Was it the bright and color attractions of the rides that reminded the young woman of her youth? Or the loud sounds of the games going off anytime someone one a prize? Suddenly, Seulgi’s stomach grumbled. 

 

“Ah….” She chuckled, embarrassed remembering very well the main reason why she stumbled upon this carnival. “I’m starving.”

 

And if Seulgi remembered anything about a carnival. Carnivals always had tasty carnival food. She could almost taste the ice cream, and various food on sticks now as she walked around in search of anything. Or she was on her way had it not been for one very strange lady waving at her.

 

“Yoo-hoo, nicely dressed woman in the grey suit!”

 

Seulgi turns to see the woman waving at her. Dressed in dark clothes from head to toe, a middle aged woman with a scarf on her head and beads all over, and standing outside of a fortune teller’s shop. 

 

“Uh, hello, Ma’am.” Seulgi smiles politely and tries to slowly back away.

 

“Come on, dearie. Come have your palm read. First one’s free of charge.”

 

“Oh no, thank you. That’s quite alright. I’m actually just going to uh…” Seulgi looks around for anything to be a good excuse as to why she’s standing around. She could say she’s about to run into the nearby gift shop? Or she’s about to run over to that tunnel of love, though she’s by herself and that fortune teller sure isn’t going to believe that.

 

“Nonsense, I insist. Come on, let me at least gaze into my crystal ball for you. It’s a shiny new ball and everything.” The old woman grabs a hold of her arm.

 

“But, I want to buy a candy apple. You will at least let me buy an apple, right?” She smiles charmingly, hoping it will work. But of course it doesn't. In fact, the old woman actually hits Seulgi upside the head with some strange looking stick and drags her inside the shop. Seulgi sighs and rubs her head before sitting down reluctantly. She supposes she will have to humor the old woman. 

 

“There, you can buy an apple anytime. Wouldn’t you like to hear about your future today?”

 

“Sure, why not? What does your brand new shiny crystal ball have in store for me?”

 

The old woman smiles and looks amused by Seulgi. This will surely be interesting. “Well, for one thing. I can assure you that you won’t be getting that apple.”

 

“Aw, really, oh darn…” Seulgi feigns saddness and places her hand over her heart and everything.

 

“But!” The fortune teller puts on a suddenly dramatic voice. “I can assure you that before you leave the carnival you will absolutely meet the love of your life today.”

 

There is a moment of silence as Seulgi has no idea what to say. She said she would humor the lady, sure. She just didn’t expect anything like that. Seulgi clears to break the silence.

 

“Are you sure I can’t just have the apple?”


 


 

Ding ding ding….

 

The sound of a machine goes off again as Joohyun wins yet another game. Yerim is used to her sister winning everything, and so she really sat on her phone texting her own school friends because what else is she going to do?

 

“Yes!” A loud excited cheer can be heard from Joohyun.

 

“Everyone’s staring at you.” Yerim speaks, while texting, since everyone is indeed staring at her college-aged sister acting like she’s the teenager in this scenario. Which reminds Yerim she probably should have been filming this for blackmail purposes. Though it’s not like it’s too late or anything. Since Yerim knows her sister and it’s not as if Joohyun won't act like this again. As soon as she wins another game, which will probably be in no time.

 

“N-No, they’re not…” Joohyun whispers and looks around to make sure that no one is looking at her. But of course there are people looking at her, just like Yerim said. Just how the hell does Yerim even know people are looking at her anyway, if her face is buried in her phone? Joohyun whispers a soft apology before grabbing the pink tickets from the machine and prepares to cash them in for more prizes.

 

“Hey, where the heck are you going to put all these things anyway?” 

 

“Maybe, your rich girlfriend can come pick us up?” The older sister teases and this time not so gently bumps Yerim’s shoulder.

 

“Please, she has better things to do than waste time carrying all your junk home. Anyway, if you’re done winning at games for a moment. How about we ride some rides for old time’s sake?”

 

“Hmm…” Joohyun doesn’t have a problem with riding the rides, necessarily. She just doesn’t want to get on anything that’s too high in the air, or goes too fast, so basically no roller coasters or ferris wheels, or anything like that and they should be fine.

 

“Come on, to the tallest ferris wheel in the whole park!” Yerim actually starts dragging her toward the exact one. Poor Joohyun actually screams. She screams so loud to the point that people actually think a dolphin has been let loose in the carnival. Only they all calm down when they realize they are in fact, at a carnival and not a zoo.

 

“Hyun!” Her sister complains and covers her ears. “I keep forgetting you’re part dolphin.”

 

“If I’m part dolphin then so are you.”

 

“Alright, alright, point taken. Let’s just walk around, until you feel better. I am sorry about the ferris wheel thing. I was teasing.” She does hug her sister in apology. Joohyun sighs and affectionately taps her sister upside the head. She isn’t all that upset since she does know Yerim is kidding.

 

“I know, I know. Come on, kid. I’ll treat you to some ice cream as we plot our next move.”

 

Yerim’s eyes light up. “Alright, now you’re talking! But you have to carry all this you won yourself, because I need both my hands for stuffing my face full of ice cream. Let’s go!”

 

“Fine.” Joohyun nods with a small laugh and does indeed carry her prize bag full of items that she won from the games they played. “But I get to pick the ice cream shop.”

 

“Aw….” The loud groan that escapes her sister could probably be heard from the whole carnival. Even from where Kang Seulgi sat at one of the food court tables, ice cream in one hand, and ice pack on her head.

 

“That old lady sure can hit.” She sighs, remembering how hard that fortune teller hit her with that strange looking stick the second time. All because Seulgi dared to question her so-called fortune telling. Seulgi seriously doubts that before she leaves the carnival today she will meet the love of her life. Seulgi was honestly happy she ended up with ice cream, something to help get through the hunger she was feeling. However, the strange thing was that the fortune teller insisted that Seulgi would meet the love of her life today. Going as far as saying she would give her a tarot card reading as well as palm reading too. If she didn’t believe the oh so mystical crystal ball.

 

Now, it wasn’t like Seulgi didn’t believe in a higher power. Sure, she believed that there had to be unexplainable reasons for things. She did like to believe in fate and things happening for reasons that might not always be clear. Seulgi just wasn’t sure if she wanted to place her faith in some maniac old lady who wasn’t getting many customers. 

 

“Ow…” Seulgi sighed again and placed the ice pack on the part of her head that hurt the most. She was nearly done with her ice cream and when Seulgi looked up. She did look up to see a couple passing by. They looked absolutely smitten with one another, in the way a new couple did. She could see it on their faces as they held hands, with those happy smiles and excited talk about going to the ferris wheel. Seulgi can’t help that she smiles. 

 

So maybe it’s not so wrong to want something like that too?

 

But first, Seulgi was going to finish her ice cream before she looked around to see what else the carnival had to offer. After all, she did have an entire day off of work. She might as well take full advantage of it, whether or not she met the love of or life or not.



 

 

 


 

They were so close to one of the ice cream stands. One that both she and Yerim agreed on, mostly since it was brightly decorated. Not to mention the shop owners had many different flavors, everything from your typical vanilla ice cream. To rainbow colored ice creams, multicolored sprinkles, and pretty bowls too. Joohyun could honestly feel watering and she wanted to try everything. 

 

“Almost there, almost there…”

 

“Hey!” Joohyun complained because her sister pulled her away from the shop. “What’s the big idea?”

 

“Change of plans.” Yerim grinned in a way that could only mean trouble. “How about we get our fortunes told.” The younger girl points to the fortune teller shop.

 

“Eh?” Joohyun raises her eyebrow in suspicion. “Oh, no, absolutely not. I am not walking into some weird and creepy shop.”

 

“Oh come on, live a little sis. I’ll do it too, come on, pretty please.” Yerim does her best puppy dog look and everything.

 

“Oh, alright, fine. But we’re getting ice cream right after this.”

 

“Yes, come on, it’ll be fun. How often can we say we had our fortunes told.”

 

Joohyun honestly can’t believe she allowed herself to be talked into this. Especially when they do walk into the shop, because it was just as creepy as she thought it would be. All sorts of dusty looking old books, wilted candles, and very dim lighting. For all they knew this place wasn’t even legit.

 

“There’s no one here. Let’s…”

 

“Oh, two very pretty young ladies.” The old fortune teller steps out right on time. Because that’s not creepy at all. Joohyun has to hold back a scream.

 

“Hi!” Yerim smiles and waves. “I’m Yerim and this old hag is Joohyun.”

 

“Hey, old hag!” That snaps Joohyun out of her thoughts long enough for her to not so gently hit Yerim in the arm. The old fortune teller chuckles amused at the sisters.

 

“Don’t tell me, sisters?”

 

“Oh my god, how did you know?” Yerim looks shocked.

 

“I’m a fortune teller, now who’s first? The first time you sit in the chair it’s free.”
 

Joohyun is honestly skeptical. She isn’t all that sure about this. Yerim volunteers and sits down across from the old woman, who first compliments how pretty she looks. Telling her that she resembles the idol-actress Im Yoona. The two of them actually start a full on conversation and everything.

 

“Can we speed this up, some time today? No offense but I have ice cream waiting for me.” Joohyun speaks and both her sister and the fortune teller send cold glares toward her.

 

“You remind me of a very rude customer from earlier who wanted an apple.”

 

“An apple?” Joohyun blinks, and says no more since the fortune teller simply tells her to wait her turn and proceeds to read Yerim’s palm.

 

“Look at this, nice long life line. You’ll live at least to be my age.”

 

“So my sister’s going to live to about 100?” Thank goodness, Joohyun doesn’t voice her opinion. She keeps herself amused by this fortune teller who keeps on saying what sounds like very amusing things to her sister.

 

“Oh, you’re going to have a fascinating love life. Filled with all sorts of torrid and passionate affairs. I see someone very wealthy in your future.”

 

“I have a rich girlfriend.” Yerim nods proudly.

 

“Oh my god…” At this point, Joohyun has no idea if she should laugh or not. This is pretty ridiculous. And her sister is really eating this whole thing up. Joohyun just zones out thinking about the ice cream she could be eating, when at some point the old woman taps her hard with some random stick.

 

“Ow….”

 

“Okay, you, it’s your turn.”

 

Again, Joohyun is questioning why she allowed herself to get talked into this. As in why didn’t she walk out of the shop when she had the chance. The old woman is already guiding her to the chair and telling her to sit.

 

“Are you going to read my palm too?” Joohyun asks.

 

“Hmm…” The fortune teller looks thoughtful. “No, I think for you, we’ll do a little crystal ball gazing. Look at how wonderfully shiny it is.”

 

“Uh-huh...so this uh wonderfully shiny crystal ball is going to tell my future.”

 

The old woman frowns. “I’ll have you know this crystal is of the highest and purest quality. Handed down from all t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter