Taemin POV: Ch. 01

A Prince in Disguise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taemin

 

With all my strength I try not to fall asleep. I can't tell for how long Siwon, the top general of Moonhill, has been talking. I only know that the grain of the long wooden table is far more interesting to me.

 

I understand that I have to learn how our armed forces are structured, what the military situation is and which commander is stationed where. But why do I need to learn all this now? It's not like I'm going to be declared king anytime soon. Father is in good health and I am not looking to get married soon.

 

The men at the table, however, listen intently to Siwon, nodding their heads as if everything he says makes sense and throwing in a question or two.

 

The big windows behind me can light up the whole room; there is not one dark corner.There is a bit of an echo in the large room. Without the loud repetitions of Siwon's voice, I would surely have already fallen asleep. But I am quite grateful that my eyes manage to stay open. My valet Kibum would surely have scolded me again afterwards.

I should learn to listen properly; it was important, and so on.

 

I should be angry with him that he sometimes has scolding words for me, but I am rather grateful for it. He, and also Siwon, are some of the very few people who don't just think of me as a prince. They are strict with me sometimes and are not afraid to voice their opinions in front of me. With them, I feel more like Taemin than Prince of Moonhill, heir to the throne of Taesun the Peacebringer.

 

That’s right, you heard that correctly. By accepting his throne, Father has brought peace to our kingdom and ended the war. Just very small footsteps for me to fill, aren't they?

 

My mother died after I was born. But I cannot say that I lack anything. Well, at least not in the palace. Father is not urging me to take the throne right away, but lately he has been talking more and more about the fact that it will be happening soon. But how can I manage to rule a whole country if I don't even know my own people.

 

Since my childhood I have not left the palace. Of course, I have more than enough space here, people who teach me things and every wish is read from my lips.

 

But from Kibum and also from Siwon I know that there are also people without servants. People who do everything themselves. Cooking, cleaning and even their clothes they have to buy or sew themselves.

 

I sit down a little more upright as a glass of water with freshly sliced cucumbers is placed in front of me. With a slight nod I thank the servant who immediately heads back. I wonder if the servants don't have backaches as often as they have to bow.

 

I take a big sip and turn my concentration back to Siwon. His black hair lies neatly to one side. His light blue robe, the colour of our coat of arms, is full of insignia of his countless achievements in recent years. I have heard many stories about his adventures, even though, modest as he is, he always plays them down when I ask him about them.

 

His finger lies on the village of Suju. "There are rumors circulating that Choi's gang has been seen there. We have the assumption that they are heading to Wayv." his finger on the other village, symbolizing which way the band of robbers will go.

 

"As you all know, the gang consists of five men in total." Siwon lays down a sheet of paper with a drawing on it. 'Wanted' is written above the painted image of a handsome man with high cheekbones.

"Kim Jonghyun. We can assume he's already familiarized the men with our fighting techniques, so we shouldn't underestimate them. He deserted a few years ago and has been a member for just under two years. Who knows, if he hadn't run away, maybe he would be standing in my place now." Siwon let out a noticeable sigh.

Personally, I never met Kim Jonghyun, but I know everyone always spoke well of him. He could have really gone far in the army.

 

"Lucas Wong." Siwon puts down the next sheet and I recognize a dark-haired man with a very youthful face.

"The former armorer wants his brother Mark back, who is currently in the dungeons of Wayv awaiting the gallows. To get there in time they have to pass through the Exo-pass so they don't just find a dead body." Siwon shows us the pass on the large map that takes up almost the entire table.

"They could take a less dangerous route, through the forest, here. But that would cost them time that they don't have."

The men nod, apparently understanding Siwon's plan.

 

"Shindong." This man is a bit more solidly built than the others. "He's a drifter, an opportunist. Started stealing when he was still in the orphanage. Once we catch the men he's our best chance for information. Whether they still have friends somewhere who could free them, for example. We have also worked with him before. As long as the price is right, he not only gives out information, he knows how to get it. Choi must be paying him a lot, because he's also now an integral part of the gang."

 

The next man doesn't look at all like a robber as I notice. He has nice eyes I think. "Lee Jinki. We don't know why he joined Choi. He was a simple farmer until then. We don't know much about him. He has no family."

 

Siwon puts down the last piece of paper from his hand. "And last but not least."  Dark hair, big eyes and full lips the leader shows.

"Choi Minho, or his nickname, the Merciless. Leader of the Choi gang."

 

'Dead or Alive' I read, which the others didn't say.

 

"Robbery, blackmailing, and murder. Starting his career by killing Cap

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter