Getting to know Yoo

Getting to Know Yoo

Minjeong didn’t sign up for this.

 

No, she doesn’t even remember agreeing to it.

 

When Karina Yoo so casually said that she finds Minjeong interesting and that she wants to get to know her, Minjeong didn’t believe her. She may look like one but Minjeong is anything but gullible. She watched enough trolling and pranks pulled on TV shows and movies that when she feels she is personally being confronted with the same kind of situation, Minjeong braces herself for any possible impact.

 

She just never expected that the said impact would come in the form of a childish Twenty Questions game.

 

“What are you, ten?” she shoots Karina Yoo an incredulous look when she told Minjeong on how they are going to do this getting to know whatever thing.

 

“No, I’m 21.”

 

Minjeong rolls her eyes at the answer. “This isn’t primary school for us to play that stupid game.”

 

“It’s not stupid,” Karina Yoo defends, munching on her chicken parmesan with a slight frown on her face. “It’s the best way to start getting to know each other. Begin with the basics and all that. I think it’s perfect.”

 

Minjeong thinks the perfect way of doing this is not doing it at all.

 

“Okay I’ll start,” Karina Yoo took her moment of self-grumbling as a yes, “When is your birthday?”

 

Minjeong can’t help the scoff from falling off at the very basic inquiry of all.

 

Ghad, are they really doing this?

 

“Yes we are doing this, Kim Minjeong,” Karina Yoo says, Minjeong silently cursing for saying her thoughts out loud. “Now answer the question.”

 

Looks like Minjeong doesn’t really have a choice in life anymore.

 

“January 1, 2001.” Minjeong finally grumbles. She sees Karina Yoo light up at her answer.

 

“Ooohhh, so you’re younger than me.”

 

This piqued Kim Minjeong’s interest, “Why? When is yours?”

 

Now that piqued Karina Yoo’s interest, “Isn’t my birthday already a known fact to everyone?”

 

Minjeong huffs at this because, “That’s not how this game works, smartass. You ask me a question, I answer and vice-versa. You can’t ask me a question yet without answering mine.”

 

Karina Yoo seemed to catch up on it pretty quickly. “Oh that’s right. Well, April 11, 2000. That’s my birthday.”

 

Minjeong nods at the information. “So you’re a year older than me, huh?”

 

“Yes. Isn’t my birthday already a known fact to everyone?”

 

“What?” Minjeong frowns. “That’s not even my question!”

 

“It’s still a question so boo-hoo,” Karina Yoo retaliates with a mischievous glint in her eyes. “Answer the question Kim Minjeong.”

 

Ugh. Minjeong can feel the looming headache courtesy of Karina Yoo and her naughty antics.

 

“Maybe,” Minjeong grumbles in defeat, “But I’m not everyone remember?”

 

This earned Minjeong a frowning Karina Yoo, Minjeong doing a mini happy dance inside her head for getting under Karina Yoo’s skin somehow.

 

“Right. Whatever.” The celebrity shrugs it off and immediately went back to her game face, “What’s your favorite color?”

 

“Wha—That’s not my question!” Minjeong protests again. “You have to wait for my question!”

 

“It’s still in a question form so it’s all the same Kim Minjeong,” Karina Yoo explains with an annoying calmness in her tone. “C’mon, just answer it.”

 

Minjeong takes a deep breath through her nose to keep herself from strangling one, maddening, Karina Yoo. “Pastel Coral. Yellow. Those light colors.”

 

Karina Yoo looked like she was just told that crocodiles can fly, “You’re not the type to like those light colors. You’re more of a black or red kind of girl from the looks of it.”

 

Minjeong stares at the girl in disbelief, “Wow, that’s big coming from someone who said that I’m a shallow person,” scoffing at the giggle Karina Yoo lets out from her comment, “How about you Miss Know-It-All? What’s your favorite color?”

 

“Blue.” Karina Yoo categorically replied, as if there exists no other right answer but the color, “All shades of blue. It’s been my favorite color since I was a kid.”

 

Minjeong just nods at the reply, no energy to formulate a smart comeback at the celebrity.

 

(Also because Karina Yoo and blue kind of matched in Minjeong’s perspective. She doesn’t exactly know why but Karina Yoo just radiates this blue color energy she might as well embody it. But that’s only on Minjeong.)

 

(And that’s only gonna stay inside her head. Karina Yoo will never know about her comparison as long as she lives.)

 

“Why do you always order Chicken Parmesan?” this time Minjeong was quick to ask her darn question.

 

“I like chicken and I like cheese. They’re both in the same dish so I win,” Karina Yoo explains looking like she really won in life, “What’s your favorite food?”

 

Now that is something that Minjeong always had a constant answer to. “Guo Bao Rou. It’s a Chinese Sweet and Sour Pork dish.”

 

Yizhuo’s mother always prepared them the dish whenever she visits the country so she grew fond of Guo Bao Rou ever since. Minjeong thinks it’s the best food she had ever tasted in her entire life.

 

Karina Yoo seems to feel the same.

 

“Oh! I like that dish too! Now that you mentioned it I want to eat some guo bao rou..”

 

Minjeong couldn’t help the small quirk of her lips when she saw how enthusiastic Karina Yoo became at the mention of the dish. Like a child on the first day of school, zealous and eager.

 

Yeah the girl’s a kid she gives Minjeong constant headache, that’s what.

 

The remainder of the twenty minutes was spent throwing questions back and forth. Minjeong eventually learned that the singer came from Suwon, scouted when she was at a very young age, trained for years, debuted when she was seventeen and has since then been the talk of the town. (Yeah, these are information that she can basically search in the internet. But does Minjeong care? No. She has the Karina Yoo right infront of her, might as well be her personal naver search.)

 

As for Minjeong, she answered Karina Yoo’s questions of where’s her hometown, (I’m from Yangsan); whether she’s studying (“Yes, I’m a college student”); what course is she taking up, (“Some business course minoring in finance, nothing big”) (“What do you mean nothing big? I can’t even do math with my fingers and here you are practically battling numbers every day.”) (“It’s not math all the time. Calm your horses.”); and whether it was actually true that she had no idea who she was during their first meeting at the convenience store.

 

“I swear, I didn’t have any idea who you were.” Minjeong replies, sincerity oozing from her brown orbs, “Thought of you as some goon for a second who was about to snatch my Pringles away, with the hoodie and mask and attitude you got going that day.”

 

Karina Yoo laughs, “The mask and hoodie was SOP. I could never go out in broad daylight without it,” scrunching her nose at the fact, “The attitude, well, who wouldn’t? Pink Pringles is my favorite flavor of Pringles and you happened to have it before I had it. You cannot blame me for being intense.”

 

“Intense is an understatement,” Minjeong comments, “You were all ready to pounce on me. Patience is a virtue, ever heard about that?”

 

“Patience is a virtue for those who aren’t desperate.” Karina Yoo retorts, putting down her spoon as she finishes her meal, “And I was a desperate girl craving for Pringles that day. Patience was simply an illusion, Kim Minjeong.”

 

She doesn’t know how it happened but Minjeong finds herself chuckling at the celebrity’s words. Maybe if she isn’t annoying, Karina Yoo can easily be one of the most hilarious persons Minjeong ever met.

 

Maybe.

 

“I did that.” Karina Yoo says out of the blue, confusing the heck out of Minjeong.

 

“Huh?”

 

Karina Yoo vaguely gestures at Minjeong’s direction, “That pretty smile on your face. I did that,” sporting a proud look akin to that of an Olympic player who just claimed victory.

 

Minjeong didn’t even know she was full-on beaming until Karina Yoo pointed it out, immediately dropping the smile and looking away from the celebrity’s blatant staring. She clears to mask her embarrassment, silently wished that Karina Yoo won’t see the creeping blush on her cheeks.

 

Dear lord..

 

“Oh come on. It was a sight to behold,” Karina Yoo whines, “Show me your smile again, Kim Minjeong.”

 

“No,” Minjeong deadpans.

 

“Kim Minjeong..”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Please?”

 

“Not gonna happen,” Minjeong was actually this close to blurting out a Yes (if Karina Yoo keeps on staring at her with that puppy eyes, maybe she would).

 

But thankfully (good gawd thankfully), Karina Yoo’s phone lights up, successfully interrupting the girl from torturing Kim Minjeong with her pleading eyes even more.

 

“It’s Wendy unnie,” Karina Yoo announces as she stares at her phone, “She’s already outside to me pick me up.”

 

Minjeong is not sure if the sigh she released was of relief or something else.

 

“Aww, you miss me already? You look sad, Kim Minjeong.”

 

Okay, it was definitely relief. Kim Minjeong can’t wait to get rid of the annoying girl who just wouldn’t stop teasing her for frappe’s sake.

 

“Don’t be fooled with my puppy face, I get that a lot.” Minjeong says flatly, “I actually feel the happiest when you’re about to leave.”

 

Karina Yoo cackles and Minjeong berates herself for kind of, just kind of, liking the sound of it. “You’re so mean.”

 

“If being mean would humble you from the high pedestal you put yourself into, then it’s fine by me.” Minjeong declares with certainty.

 

“Y’know, my fans would burn you alive if they know about the mean things you say to me.” Karina Yoo teases.

 

“They could try.” Minjeong replies with a challenging brow that only made Karina Yoo’s smile even bigger.

 

Stop smiling. Stop smiling. Stop smiling goddammit!

 

“Nah, they have to go through me first before they could even touch you.”

 

Besides being so annoying and self-absorbed, Minjeong thinks that Karina Yoo should also stop saying things like this because good gracious.

 

How does Minjeong even reply to that?

 

She must have been so flustered at the comeback because Karina Yoo had already stood up by the time Minjeong came back to her senses, the teasing smile on the celebrity’s face growing exponentially.

 

“Anyway, gotta run before my manager barges in and drags me like a kid.” Karina Yoo says, “See you again tomorrow, Kim Minjeong. I’ll be back with more questions.”

 

With a wink, Karina Yoo saunters away, leaving Kim Minjeong more mentally disheveled than ever.

 

Cheesus.

 

 

 

***

 

 

(“How is it? Has she been a pain in the to you, Minjeong-ah?”

 

“Most of the time. But she’s tolerable, unnie. Thanks for asking.”

 

“Yeah well, that kid’s such a brat. I don’t know why she’s pestering you of all people.”

 

“Trust me, I’ve been asking myself that everyday unnie.”

 

“Maybe she has a crush on you?”

 

“What?? T-that’s nonsense..”

 

“Oh my. Are you... are you blushing?”

 

“H-huh?! No I’m n-not!”

 

“You even stuttered. I’ve never heard you stutter until this moment Minjeong-ah..”

 

“Oh my god I’m going to help Renjun in the kitchen unnie goodbye.”)

 

 

 

***

 

 

“What’s in your bag?” Karina Yoo asks as she once again munches on a chicken parmesan for what seemed like a millionth time since she first tasted it.

 

“What like right now?” Minjeong asks.

 

“In general.” Karina Yoo clarifies, “Like what are the things usually found in your bag? Things you usually bring everyday.”

 

Minjeong ponders upon it for a moment, “I don’t know. My favorite notebooks that I use in class, a bunch of pens, my phone and airpods, I guess? And snacks. Yeah I always have snacks in my bag. I love snacks.”

 

Karina Yoo seemed delighted at her answer.

 

“A certified uni girl Kim Minjeong who loves snacks,” she teases which earned an eye roll from Minjeong.

 

“How about the famous Karina Yoo? What’s in her bag?”

 

“Lipstick.” The celebrity answers, “A lot of lipstick. And some compress for my joints for when I’m practicing.”

 

Minjeong scrunches her face, “Not really into lipsticks. I’d use tint and call it a day.”

 

“Yeah I figured.” Karina Yoo replies, making Minjeong stare at her in confusion. “I’ve been staring at your lips and I don’t see traces of lipstick in them.”

 

What.

 

“Why w-would you stare at someone else’s lips..” Minjeong stutters, feeling her face warming up at the revelation.

 

“Because I can’t stare at mine, duh,” Karina Yoo sassed. “And also because your lips are plump. They look so soft..” blatantly staring at the said lips as if its owner is not close to peeing her pants for the daring statements being thrown at her.

 

Minjeong swears that if she happened to be drinking something when Karina Yoo said those words, she would have choked to death already.

 

But thankfully she isn’t so she settles for a scoff and a scratch on her nose, a poor attempt of hiding her blush and lips that Karina Yoo claimed to be staring at.

 

Seriously this girl..

 

“How far is your place from here, by the way?” Karina Yoo suddenly asked.

 

“Not so far. If I walk on foot, I’d be there within 20 minutes. But since I have my bike with me today, around 10-15 minutes max.” Minjeong watched her curiously, “Why?”

 

For the first time, Minjeong saw Karina Yoo hesitate on the next words to say, looking a little bit conflicted compared to the confidence she always donned in their conversations. There was a pregnant pause on her part before going on.

 

“I was wondering if I could drop you there.” The celebrity says, playing with the rim of her glass as she speaks, “It’s not safe for a young girl like you to be out and about the streets at 12 midnight alone, you know.”

 

A swarm of something tugs inside Minjeong’s stomach. It’s analogous to churning; but it’s not something unpleasant. It’s just somewhere in between and it’s there.

 

“You’re kinda forgetting that we’re just about the same age.” Minjeong replies, deciding to ignore the feeling, “You’re out and about the streets at 12 midnight too, you know.”

 

Karina Yoo rolled her eyes at that and Minjeong doesn’t know why she finds it pleasing to get a reaction like that.

 

“I have a car and my manager is with me. You only have you and your bike. It’s different,” Karina Yoo argues, “It’s not safe.”

 

Minjeong sighs at the stubbornness of the girl, “I’ve been living like this since I started university. Haven’t encountered anything unsafe and I don’t think I will. Don’t worry about it.”

 

“But Kim Minjeong—”

 

“Miss Yoo.” Minjeong cuts her before she could go on about the dangers of dark alleys and quiet streets, “I like my space. I’m not introverted but I want to make sure that I have my me-time at the end of every tiring day from uni and work. It’s the only time I have for myself before I succumb to sleep.”

 

Karina Yoo stares at her, long and calculating. Minjeong stares back, dauntless.

 

“You want to get to know me right?” Minjeong pulls the card, seeing as Karina Yoo seems all-ready to push her point, “Then you have to know that this is me. I can tolerate you and your antics whenever we’re together. But I also value my freedom and independence. The few minutes between here and my place is where I get it considering my lifestyle. You have to give me this one.”

 

Minjeong pays no attention to the atmosphere of the conversation that suddenly sounded more like something that couples would have (space and freedom and independence? That’s a lot of big words for two people who aren’t even romantically involved). Instead, she focuses on looking a lot more serious, hoping that her mini lecture about her me-time wouldn’t get past Karina Yoo’s hard-head.

 

Luckily, it didn’t.

 

“Alright. Okay..” the celebrity sighs in defeat, for the first time since Minjeong started talking to her, and nodded her head. “But in one condition.”

 

Minjeong furrows her brows, “What?”

 

“Stop calling me ‘Miss Yoo’,” Karina Yoo replied, “We’re doing this getting to know thing and you’re still calling me Miss Yoo. That sounds so…formal.”

 

This simply deepened the crease on Minjeong’s forehead, “Then what am I gonna call you?”

 

“Jimin. Call me Jimin.” Karina Yoo answers, “Call me by my name.”

 

Minjeong once heard the name from the celebrity’s manager but didn’t really dwell on it. Now that she thinks about it, Karina is not really a typical Korean name and Karina Yoo, albeit undeniably gorgeous, looks like a pure-blooded Korean for her to have a foreign name like that.

 

“Jimin..” Minjeong repeats, testing the name in her tongue, “Is that your real name?”

 

“Yep.”

 

Minjeong nods in acknowledgment then adds, “That sounds quaint than your stage name Karina. A lot more ordinary too.

 

This earned her a scoff from Karina Yoo herself, “Please. I’m anything but ordinary, Kim Minjeong.”

 

“Whatever you say, Jimin.” Minjeong mocks in jest, feeling a little superior for a second when Karina Yoo all but huffs at her jab.

 

Minjeong decides that she likes the name Jimin more than Karina Yoo.

 

 

***

 

 

(“Why the stage name Karina then?”

 

“It’s from my baptismal name Katarina. It’s derived from there.”

 

“Ooohhh so you’re a Catholic?”

 

“Yes. Why? Do you have a problem with that?”

 

“No, not really. But does your church have a problem with that?”

 

“What?”

 

“I mean, they have a spawn of Satan like you in their congregation. It must've been extremely difficult for them..”

 

“Why you— yah Kim Minjeong!”)

 

 

***

 

 

“There you are. I was looking everywhere for you,” a familiar voice snaps Minjeong out from her concentration, making her look up from her book.

 

“Could’ve just texted or called me,” Minjeong stares at Yizhuo with a raised brow.

 

The younger girl plops down with an oof before turning to answer Minjeong, “Where’s the fun in that?”

 

Minjeong shot Yizhuo the most vacant stare she could muster, hoping she conveyed how ridiculous she just sounded.

 

“Anyway, does your shift still end the same time? 12 midnight?” Yizhuo inquires, pulling out a carton of strawberries from her bag.

 

“It’s 11 now,” Minjeong grabs a strawberry from the now opened carton Yizhuo always had for lunch, “Yeri unnie said that she’s getting old and needs to get to bed earlier than 12 midnight..”

 

“Or maybe Joy unnie threatened to really break up with her if she doesn’t give her time?” Yizhuo suggested.

 

Minjeong perks up at this, “Oh god that sounds more like it,” wrinkling her nose at the memory of her boss’ girlfriend almost making a scene at their restaurant because Yeri, apparently, forgot their anniversary dinner. “Remember when Yeri unnie had to immediately close the restaurant when Joy unnie appeared and was ready to burn the entire place down.”

 

Yizhuo made a face, “I don’t even want to remember that. Joy unnie is probably the sweetest thing to ever exist but gosh, that day she was the baddest beesh,” shivering at the memory of that fateful day.

 

“Serves Yeri unnie right,” Minjeong chuckles, “It was their first anniversary after all. How could she forget about that?”

 

“You were all so busy in the restaurant she probably didn’t notice the date,” Yizhuo reasoned, “I just know it was one heck of a process to win over Joy unnie after that fight. You just don’t forget anniversaries. It’s like, the golden rule in relationships.”

 

Minjeong stares at her bestfriend with amusement written all over face. “And how did you even know about this golden rule? You’re like ten.”

 

“I’m nineteen!” Yizhuo defends with a glare, “And I don’t have to be in some certain age to know about relationship rules. I simply know that I want my future partner to give me the time and attention I need when we’re together, much more remember about important dates in our relationship. Giving time is one of the key factors to a harmonious relationship, unnie.”

 

For some strange reason, Minjeong’s mind brings her to a certain tall celebrity whose lopsided smirk had permanently etched itself on the girl’s consciousness. Minjeong suddenly wondered if Karina Yoo is the type to put importance in remembering dates or giving time as what Yizhuo pointed out.

 

Now that she thinks about it, the celebrity had constantly visited the restaurant for the past weeks straight, not missing a single day of pestering Minjeong from her work and bombarding her with questions despite being a busy person herself.

 

Minjeong wonders if Karina Yoo is neglecting her own duties just to get under Minjeong’s skin every night. The sheer amount of time and dedication the celebrity is giving just so she could get to know Minjeong…

 

There it is again.

 

The swarm of something tugging inside Minjeong’s stomach. The feeling had been shaking her lately most especially at times when Karina Yo—Jimin (“I told you to call me Jimin. Call me Jimin, Kim Minjeong”) would do or say something that is beyond crazy for Minjeong’s liking.

 

(Not really. It’s more from the littlest things about the celebrity that made her feeling like this as of late. It’s not that she doesn’t like it. Minjeong just isn’t sure if she wants to know what the swarm of feelings is all about.)

 

And just like what Minjeong had been doing, she shrugs off the feeling, tucks it away in a compartment that she intends to open for when everything is quiet and peaceful and she’s alone.

 

Besides, it’s too early to dwell on things that Minjeong isn’t sure if the celebrity even entertains..

 

“Yeah whatever. Enough with your lab guru lectures,” Minjeong says, going back to the initial topic she and Yizhuo were engaged in, “Why are you asking about my shift anyway?”

 

Yizhuo seemed to have been reminded about her question, Minjeong rolling her eyes because of course, the girl got so distracted she had forgotten about what she came for in the first place.

 

“Oh yes! Silly me,” Yizhuo giggled, “I was wondering if you could cover up for me? The band’s having a session tonight but I cannot come because I have a paper due tomorrow and I am yet to start it..”

 

Yizhuo, together with their friends Renjun, Chenle and Haechan, have formulated a small band that has been playing for some pubs scattered around Seoul. It started when they busked one time just for fun and a bar owner who happened to watch their performance asked if they could commission them to play at their place sometimes. Minjeong eventually joined them especially when Yizhuo isn’t available.

 

Today seems to be one of those times the girl isn’t available for a session.

 

But Minjeong can’t help herself from frowning at the reasoning Yizhuo gave her, “You have a paper due tomorrow and you are yet to start it??” to which Yizhuo nonchalantly nodded her head to, “What kind of study habits are you developing? This is university, Ning Yizhuo. It’s a cut-throat institution unlike high school where things are a lot more lenient.”

 

As expected, Minjeong’s lecture flew past one Ning Yizhuo’s chill demeanor, “Don’t worry I got it. And cut me some slack will you? I’m just a freshman unnie.”

 

Minjeong could only scoff at the reasoning. She can already feel a looming headache all thanks to her friend’s blasé attitude towards her studies.

 

“Anyway, are you up to it? Coz I’ll inform Kyungsoo oppa that it’s you who will be there instead of me.”

 

Minjeong ponders upon it, “But my shift’s gonna end at 11PM. Kyungsoo oppa’s pub is twenty minutes away from the diner. So I’d be there probably around 11:30 max.”

 

“It’s okay. They don’t really open until 11:15. You’d be there just in time.” Yizhuo explains, swallowing a strawberry she was munching on.

 

Minjeong could only heave a deep sigh. “Alright alright. But next time I’m not gonna save you from a deadline you could have prevented. You can’t go on like this, Ning Yizhuo. Do your assignments on time and stop procrastinating.

 

The younger just rolled her eyes at Minjeong’s sermon, “Yes, mom.

 

“Oh wait until I tell auntie about this. You’ll never hear the end of it.” Minjeong warns.

 

“Stop threatening me with that! Aaahhh I hate you!”
 

Minjeong bursts into laughter at how Yizhuo paled from the mention of her mother possibly knowing about her study habits. Serves her damn right, Minjeong thinks.

 

 

 

***

 

 

“Hey guys!” Minjeong greets once she enters the diner. She came earlier today since her last class was dismissed early after their professor was suddenly called for an urgent department meeting. She found Renjun and Mark managing the diner with a few customers hanging around.

 

“Hey Minjeong..” Renjun sends her a warm smile, as always with the boy. “Yizhuo told me about later. So you’re gonna sing with us tonight?”

 

Minjeong nodded with a small smile, “Yup. That girl’s such a slob when it comes to making her assignments now she needs to double time just so she could pass her paper tomorrow,” sighing at her friend’s relaxed state of mind when it came to her deadlines. “So I’m covering up for her lazy .”

 

Renjun laughs at her explanation and sends her a charming smile. Minjeong can’t help but think that Karina Yoo’s lopsided smirk looked more…appealing than what the boy is showing her, surprising herself to the core for suddenly thinking about the girl out of nowhere.

 

Weird.

 

She pulls herself out of her reverie and looked around the diner, “Where’s Yeri unnie?” noticing the absence of their boss at the counter.

 

“She went to accompany Joy noona somewhere,” Renjun replies, “I’ve never seen her abandon the counter faster than when Joy noona appeared and told her to go with her.”

 

Minjeong bursts out cackling at the story. She and Yizhuo were just talking about the two at campus today. Seems like Yizhuo’s guess about their recent change in closing up time might have some truth after all, not with how their boss reacted with her girlfriend’s sudden presence.

 

Ghad, she’s such a whip,” Minjeong chuckles before she starts walking towards their employee room, “I’m just gonna change so I can start helping you guys.”

 

Renjun nodded his head and went to assist a customer who suddenly called him. Minjeong was on her way to the backroom when Mark suddenly called her from the kitchen.

 

“By the way Minjeong-ah, something was delivered here for you,” the boy hollered, his hands busy cutting something that Minjeong cannot see from where she stands.

 

“Oh? For me?” Minjeong asks, furrowing her brows because she doesn’t remember ordering something. “Was it a package?”

 

“Not really. I think it’s a paper bag or something.” Mark answered, “Haven’t really seen much because Yeri noona was the one who received it. I think she placed it in your locker.”

 

“Did you see who delivered it?”

 

“If I’m not mistaken, I think it’s that Wendy noona, Yeri noona’s guest for the past weeks?”

 

Minjeong was more confused than ever. She hasn’t really talked with the unnie before, only occasional smiles (apologetic ones for whenever Karina Yoo would be a little extra pain in the than usual) and grateful bows, perhaps for tolerating the celebrity above all things.

 

Thanking Mark for the information, Minjeong marches to the locker room to see the package herself. She fished out her own set of keys from her pocket and opens her locker, only to be welcomed by the said paper bag Mark was talking about.

 

Confused, she pulls out the medium-sized bag and finds a note neatly glued on the upper most part of the paper bag. Minjeong gently plucks it out so she could properly read the handwritten scribble on the paper.

 

“KMJ,

 

I can’t join you tonight because my schedule won’t allow me. So I give you these snacks in my behalf because I know I’m whole set of snack you can’t resist and you said you love snacks kekeke. This is like that KFC Special Combo Package courtesy of yours truly~

 

Wait a minute. Since I’m a snack and you love snacks, does that mean you love me? Hmmmm.. Anywayyyy, I hope Yeri unnie won’t steal something here. Tell me if there’s something missing ok? I’ll fight Yeri unnie for getting what’s yours!

 

Take care on your way home. Don’t miss me too much :)

 

- YJM”

 

Minjeong didn’t even know she was smiling the whole time she was reading the stupid note Karina Yoo left her. When she peeked through the bag, there were indeed a bunch of snacks inside, ranging from almonds, bread, chocolates and other more munchies.

 

She reads the note again and this time, Minjeong lets out a scoff before pursing her lips to stop herself from smiling again.

 

Stop it Kim Minjeong!

 

Too late. Minjeong is grinning at herself once again, shaking her head because agfkhdfkjhsdjkf! Karina freaking Yoo just sent her a bunch of snacks to eat, mentally rolling her eyes at the comparison of the celebrity herself to a bunch of snacks.

 

Seriously that girl..

 

That feeling of something in her gut swarms again and for the first time, Minjeong lets herself to fully feel it, letting the churning of her stomach to consume her, sending different kinds of jitters all throughout her body.

 

“Aish..” Minjeong mumbles, a small smile dangling off her lips as she stares at the note thoughtfully, “This is insane..”

 

Minjeong really tries to understand the fuss over knowing who Karina Yoo is. And recently, Minjeong thinks she may have been getting it.

 

Bit by bit. Little by little.

 

Minjeong believes she is finally learning the reason why the fuss over Karina Yoo is going on. And she’s scared, no, she’s petrified, that she might not be escaping the sensation any time soon.

 

“What are you doing to me, Yoo Jimin..”

 

 

____________

A/N:

Hi!

 

Listen, I have lots of plans for this story (coz apart from you enjoying this, I also genuinely enjoy writing the characters they’re like the babies I don’t have). But my review classes are going to officially start in the middle of next month and I don’t think I can serve two masters at the same time. I also don’t want you to be waiting for an update until my review is over (gonna be a long, tiring 6 months by the way + another one month for the exam) because you, sweetpokes, do not deserve to be waiting in vain. I’m a reader myself and I know that the waiting game before an update is just excruciating lmaooo.

 

So I decided to change just a bit of my og plot and fit the writing process within my remaining days of freedom. But worry not! I will try my best to write it as much fun and light as possible so y’all still get the maximum reading experience. I hope I won’t disappoint! Hehe..

 

Probably 2-4 more chapters and we’re done. Stay with me until then, JMJ enjoyers :)

 

-sj