Minjeong doesn't know Yoo

Getting to Know Yoo

Minjeong really tries to understand the fuss over knowing who Karina Yoo is. But she simply doesn’t get it.

 

“What do you mean you don’t know her??” her friend Yizhuo almost looked offended when she told her, “She’s like the biggest name in the Korean industry right now!”

 

Minjeong simply raised a brow at the outburst, “So?” dedicatedly wiping the table where a couple just left. “Not everyone is interested in knowing who’s it in the Korean industry, Ning.”

 

“You’re ridiculous, unnie.” Yizhuo frowns, crossing her arms on her chest with much disdain for her friend’s blatant ignorance. “Karina unnie is everywhere. It’s impossible for you not to know her.”

 

“Karina unnie?” Minjeong gives the girl a weird look, “Since when are you on a first name basis?”

 

“I’m an avid fan.” Yizhuo defends with pride, “I can basically call her unnie coz that’s what you call people you idolize.”

 

Minjeong snorted at the girl’s explanation.

 

“Whatever floats your boat, Ning Yizhuo,” swallowing a smart remark that was ready to tip off her tongue, making her way back to the counter with a shake of her head instead. “As long as it makes you happy, I guess.”

 

But Yizhuo had drawn her card just before Minjeong could completely shun the conversation down.

 

“Oh you know what will make me happy alright.”

 

Immediately stopping Minjeong from her tracks.

 

“Oh no. Heck no,” comes her horrified statement when she whipped her head back at the younger girl. “The last time you said that line, I ended up lining up for your stupid fanmeeting with—” pausing as she tried (but miserably failed) to remember the name of that girl group Yizhuo was also an avid fan of, “…what’s the name of that group again? I know it was some sort of a cake... Tiramisu? No, no I think it’s Blueberry—”

 

“It’s Red Velvet.” Yizhuo corrected with passion, so done with her bestfriend’s uncultured . “Gosh you are so hopeless. They’re the best idol group alive! How can you forget their name?”

 

But Minjeong simply shrugs, “Told you I’m not interested.” Totally indifferent at the information Yizhuo was trying to indoctrinate on her, “Just like how I’m not interested in going to whatever event you’re planning to drag me into.”

 

And then the whining comes.

 

The earsplitting, skull-cracking, patience-depleting wail that comes automatic from Yizhuo when Minjeong starts off this kind of conversation with a rejection.

 

“Oh come on, unnie~” the younger moans, lips jutted out and eyes b with an expression akin to that of a kicked puppy begging to be spared from assault.

 

Ghad.

 

Minjeong still berates herself up to this date why on earth she told Yizhuo that she cannot resist it when the latter does those stupid face acrobats, immediately melting Minjeong into a pathetic puddle of goo.

 

“It’s not like you have anything to do on that day. It’s Saturday which means it’s your day off and I know your class schedule. You have no classes on Saturdays.” Yizhuo reasons. “Please unnie. It’s a big day for Karebears and I don’t wanna miss it.”

 

Minjeong’s ears zoom in to that word, Hold up. Karebears?”

 

“Yeah. Fandom name for Karina fans.”

 

The attack slipped off before Minjeong could even stop herself. “What an atrocious name for a fandom. Couldn’t you come up with something better?” face contorting into a combination of disgust and confusion because really?

 

Karebears?

 

(In her mind, Minjeong silently credits the Yoonaddicts and Yurisistables for coming up with the best, not to mention witty, fandom names. She could always rely on Sones to have big brains.)

 

But Yizhuo is not having any of her jab, a rehearsed line of defense easily slipping through yet with much gravity.

 

Please. You’re not a fan. Only we are allowed to clown our fandom name. Your opinion is invalid.” Yizhuo sassed, huffing at the audacity of her so-called friend to insult their fandom name. “Plus, it’s cute! Karebears forever!”

 

Minjeong could only face-palm. “Oh god.”

 

“C’mon unnieeeee~” Yizhuo pressed harder than ever, back to her previous point and is now shaking the life out of Minjeong. “Besides, I already got you the ticket. All you need to do is accompany me. Please please pleaaaassseeeee~”

 

“Alright! Alright..” Minjeong had enough of whiny Yizhuo. “Cheesus. You and your persistence,” sighing at the triumphant look finally painted across the girl’s face.

 

“Yey!! I know you secretly love it when I bring you to these events.”

 

Minjeong just rolls her eyes at the ridiculous statement before completely walking back behind the counter to resume her work.

 

“Never.”

 

 

 

***

 

 

(“I swear unnie, you won’t regret coming with me to the concert.”

 

“I’m actually regretting it now..”

 

“No seriously. Once you saw Karina unnie, you’ll be blown away by her mad talent and visuals. Godddd, her visuals. It’s so out of this world! She is also a warm-hearted person which makes her the ultimate artist ever. She’s the best girl! Aaaccckkkk!”

 

“But you’ve also said that about your other idols—“

 

“Yes but you see Karina unnie is—“

 

“Ghad here we go again…”)

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Minjeong hates the idea of being late. She believes that everyone should respect each other’s time because it is something that couldn’t be bought by money.

 

Time is precious and priceless. So the idea of being late irks her to the core.

 

So imagine her nausea at the moment because she is running late on her concert date with Yizhuo.

 

Her shift at the diner was supposed to finish hours before but pretty boy Renjun suddenly called in sick at the very last hour. She had no other choice but to cover for him or their boss would go berserk.

 

Yizhuo is the one going berserk as a result of a happy boss, however, flooding Minjeong’s phone with calls and texts that the latter was not able to respond to because of the tremendous amount of errands at the restaurant.

 

“Oh dear I’m so dead, I’m so dead..” Minjeong mutters under her breath as she opens her phone, pursing her lips in trepidation when she speed dials Yizhuo’s number.

 

It was immediately answered on the first ring as if Yizhuo was staring at her phone this whole time waiting for her call.

 

“Yizhuo..”

 

“Where are you Kim Minjeong??” the girl over the line welcomes, loud and threatening, making Minjeong flinch. “Did you bail on me??”

 

Despite the obvious menace in her voice, Minjeong can hear the girl’s deep sadness over the line, making her guilty beyond measure for not giving the girl a heads-up on the sudden change of shift.

 

“No, of course not. How can I bail on my favorite girl?” she coaxes, knowing fully well how Yizhuo loves being flattered. “It’s just that I had to cover for Renjun coz he suddenly called in sick just an hour before my shift was over. But I’m on way to the venue now. I’m sorry Ning Gingieeee~”

 

Minjeong can still hear Yizhuo’s pout over the line but the relieved sigh she caught told her she’s already forgiven, “Hmp. I thought you ditched me. I was already formulating plans in my head how to burn your apartment without getting traced.”

 

“Hey!”

 

Dolphin-shrieks of her friend filled Minjeong’s ear and she had to admit that, as annoying as the sound is, it somehow made her spirits soar. She was dead-tired for covering two shifts today and she wasn’t able to properly catch her breath before bolting out of the restaurant so she could get to the concert venue on time.

 

Yizhuo’s strange laugh, albeit unearthly, has become an instant serotonin boost for Minjeong right now.

 

Just like always.

 

But Yizhuo doesn’t need to know that.

 

“Bring me Pink Pringles as your peace offering then, peasant.” The girl suddenly commanded over the line. “I didn’t eat my lunch because I immediately went here before the line could get longer. I’m starving unnie.”

 

Minjeong bites back a sigh because, “Pink Pringles isn’t real food, Ning Yizhuo.”

 

But the girl begs to disagree. Yet again. “How dare you disrespect Pink Pringles like that?? The audacity! Take it back!”

 

Minjeong doesn’t really know why she’s arguing with the food-deprived, ear-fuming child right now. “Alright alright. Jeez. I’ll buy you that junk food no need to go cray cray,” scanning the area where she is currently at to look for the nearest convenience store. “Anything more princess?”

 

“Buy some water too. The SM water please. It tastes good and has electrolytes. I need my energy for the concert.”

 

It’s probably one of the very few things that Minjeong can totally agree with Yizhuo.

 

SM water, no matter how expensive, tasted the best and the most-water like among the bottles of water in the supermarket.

 

(When she and Yizhuo heard over the news that the manufacturing company was crappy, they were livid. But that didn’t stop them from patronizing their product. They have come into an agreement that it’s the quality of water they produce that matters anyway, not the darn, pathetic company.)

 

“Okay. Got it. See you!”

 

Minjeong hangs up and pocketed her phone safely inside her strap bag before walking towards the mini mart she spotted. She silently prayed to the universe that she finds Pink Pringles in this store or she would have to search the entire area.

 

This type of Pringles was not often stocked it’s almost a miracle to find them on grocery aisles.

 

So perhaps miracles do happen because Minjeong sees a lone, beautiful Mr. Pink Pringles standing tall in the shelf near the freezer area. It was the only one left and Kim Minjeong breathes a smile of relief as she reaches out for the treat.

 

She can finally get to Yizhuo and get this concert over with.

 

But just as Minjeong takes a hold of the Pink Pringles, a deep, velvety voice startles her.

 

“Yah! That’s mine!”

 

With a surprised gasp, she whips her head to the direction of the voice and sees a girl wearing a blue hoodie and a black mask covering her face. Her big, round eyes are staring down at Minjeong that if she was a weak-hearted dimwit, she probably would’ve fainted.

 

Thankfully, she isn’t.

 

Excuse me?” she spat, reciprocating the intense stare of the girl who is much taller than her.

 

“I said,” husks the taller girl, grabbing the bottom half of the Pink Pringles in Minjeong’s hands, “This is mine.”

 

On reflex, Minjeong tightens her hold over the container, scoffing at the girl’s boldness because, “Are you blind? It’s in my possession before you butted in. It’s mine.”

 

The girl’s round eyes turned into slits at Minjeong’s response, “But I’ve been eyeing this Pink Pringles even before you got here.”

 

“Well, too bad coz I’ve got it first, doofus.”

 

Minjeong pulls the Pringles away from the grasp of the taller girl to emphasize her point, raising her nose as if to challenge her. She heard the girl huffing, could feel her silent rage especially when the girl’s round eyes, that Minjeong may or may not find really enthralling, are now glaring at her.

 

“I don’t really wanna do this,” the girl warned, “But you left me no choice.”

 

For a second, Minjeong was scared of what the girl would do. She was inches taller than her and she seemed to have broad shoulders compared to Minjeong (not that Minjeong checked her out, of course not).

 

Anything could happen especially this time and age when people would hit other people just because (which is rude and barbaric by the way). Minjeong was lowkey preparing herself to take defense in case the girl turns out to be a lunatic of some sort.

 

She learned kendo when she was a kid. She could use the Pringles in her hand as an improvised baton or something.

 

But to her surprise and utter confusion, the girl simply pulled her mask and drawn her hood down, revealing what is probably the most beautiful face Minjeong had seen in her short lifespan.

 

The girl has a small, perfectly-sculpted face that is balanced by a long and slender neck. Her big, feline-like eyes are so captivating Minjeong had to quietly bite the inside of her cheek not to let out a squeal.

 

Okay so the girl’s darn attractive.

 

So what?

 

“Uhm…” she blinks, collecting herself from the short-lived trance the girl’s unearthly beauty has put her into. “..okay?”

 

Minjeong saw the girl's face getting confused, brows furrowing together at her response. “What do you mean ‘okay’?”

 

“Okay as in, okay, you lowered your mask down and you showed me your face. And for what exactly?”

 

The girl’s confusion just morphed into a deeper sense of bewilderment, eyes getting wider for reasons Minjeong couldn’t understand.

 

“Y-you don’t know me?”

 

Minjeong just raised a brow. She took a closer look at the girl, trying to remember if she ever encountered the face. Maybe she was a classmate in one of her classes? A usual customer at the diner perhaps?

 

(Minjeong thinks that if they have ever met before, she would remember. She never forgets a beautiful face. Especially not the kind of face the girl has.)

 

But nothing comes into mind. The girl’s face, despite how stunning, doesn’t ring a bell at all.

 

“I’m sorry but I really don’t. Have we met before?”

 

The girl gasped, as if what Minjeong said was the most appalling thing she ever heard.

 

But before the girl could even find her words, Minjeong’s phone rang, the latter noting how the flabbergasted girl infront of her jumped out of surprise. She fishes it out of her bag with a sigh knowing very well who it could be.

 

It’s her Highness Ning Yizhuo.

 

“I’m starving hurry upppp.

Or I’m burning your apartment.”

 

“For real this time.”

 

Comes the text message which, even though is quite impossible because Yizhuo is a sweetheart who can’t even hurt a fly, the girl’s threats always had the seriousness in it, shaking Minjeong to the core.

 

She needs to be there ASAP if she wants an intact apartment by tomorrow.

 

“Look, Miss..” Minjeong addressed the girl after pocketing her phone, “I don’t know what kind of prank you’re pulling or if this is some kind of a hidden camera show similar to that one I watched in youtube. But I just don’t have time for this,” giving her a wry smile, “I have a concert to attend to and my friend’s waiting for me so I need to go. Have a great day, alright?”

 

With that, Minjeong turned around, leaving the girl with the Pink Pringles in her rightful possession (but not without remembering the girl’s face just in case they ever meet each other again).

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

Jimin stayed frozen in her place, still processing what transpired just now.

 

Never in her successful career did anyone overlook her presence, let alone be ignorant of who she is.

 

But the girl…

 

The girl clearly doesn’t know her.

 

“Jimin what the heck?!” an enraged whisper suddenly pulled her out of her daze, her hood being shoved back at the top of her head, “What are you thinking?? Someone might have seen you! The paparazzis are everywhere you know that.”

 

But she isn’t having any of her manager unnie’s scolding, mind still occupied of the encounter, “She doesn’t know me..”

 

“What?”

 

Jimin, tall, famous Jimin who had millions of fans wrapped around her finger, twitches in displeasure because of one beautiful girl who doesn’t know her.

 

“That girl doesn’t know who I am unnie… She doesn’t know who Karina Yoo is..”

 

And it doesn’t sit right with her. At all.