moon in a starlight sky

in the break of dawn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ryujin sighs as she continues to walk the empty streets with her worn-out, brown journal filled with unfinished poems, stories and lyrics. The night’s high, the wind traveling with her as she pushes her hands in her pockets, the coldness slipping through the open gaps, chilling her skin.

She looks up as she passes by a convenience store, ducking when the cashier looks in her way.

She can’t have them calling the cops because they saw a minor strolling around the streets at 3 am.

No.

She can’t have that.

Not when she hasn’t found something to motivate her.

Not when she hasn’t found someone to motivate her.

Though Seoul is considered the most beautiful city in South Korea, Ryujin can’t find anything beautiful in the place.

Nothing tugs her heartstrings every time she takes a walk around, nothing makes her head spin and go into overdrive whenever she watches people pass by her, nothing makes her feel that weird feeling.

And you might be asking, why does she need to feel whatever it was that she’s trying to feel? What is she trying to achieve? What is she desperately wanting to find to the point that she’s wearing nothing under her coat but a shirt and her pants, her tattered shoes, and her journal, adventuring through the streets of Seoul with lost eyes and cold skin, but hopes high as the moon in the sky?

Ryujin, finds inspiration, to make her masterpieces.

Her masterpieces, her poems, her stories, her lyrics, her life.

“Where are you?” She lets out in the cold, her own breath saying hello and goodbye to her as she watches it appear and disappear in the ice-cold night.

She’s not like this normally, it’s just that something had told her that she needed to come out tonight.

She had felt that something would change tonight.

She would find something that might change her.

Change her life.

And then, there it was.

There…she was.

Running past her, Ryujin’s muse clad in nothing but a nightgown and slippers, run past the girl and towards the direction of a hill, ignoring the harsh winds as it pushes against her.

Her sobs wrack through the silent night and as guilty as she is, Ryujin finds beauty and art in her.

Ryujin finally found the one she’s been looking for.

She chases after the nameless girl, and with her squinted eyes and in dimly lit streets, Ryujin can see how her muse shivered in the night as every snow falls under the light, making everything look like something Ryujin would imagine as a movie scene.

And Ryujin wouldn’t pass up the opportunity to see more.

One runs away from pain while another chases for light.

Ryujin can’t take her eyes off of the girl as if she’s a firefly in a dark room.

As if she’s the bright yellow in the crowd of black and white.

As if she’s the moon in the starlit sky.

The girl finally stops as she reaches the peak of the hill, overlooking the downtown of Seoul, every building blinking like stars right before her very eyes, yet they do nothing to heal her wounded heart.

Pain grows from the core of her heart, and it spreads through her veins, crawls to her skin, makes her skin numb.

That’s why she’s been fighting off the cold until now.

Physical pain is nothing when you’re hurting deeply inside.

The sky is now more light-blue than a dark blue, and the bits of light sailing across the horizon reminds both of them that a new day is about to start, and one celebrates for her new found hope while the other trembles as she thinks of facing yet another gruesome day.

The girl finally lets tiredness seep in her legs, in her arms, and she plops down on the snow-covered ground, her eyes filling up with tears once again as she remembers her reason for sneaking out and running away.

Life is ed up for some people.

She wonders why she’s included in them.

As she watched the girl fall on the ground, Ryujin wonders about the reason why she’s crying.

Her heart starts feeling heavy when she hears the familiar sobs she heard earlier. She feels the need to make her stop crying, to comfort her, to do something to make her stop making those heart-breaking sounds.

And so without making her presence noticed, Ryujin moves from a few feet behind the girl to her side, and she’s about to make herself known when she stops.

This girl beside her, is the greatest thing she’s ever seen.

This girl is just…somethin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter