Of black nail polish and impromptu guests

Leave the light on (for me)

The amazing part of sharing a bed with someone you fancy is this:

It gives great opportunities for, well, a lot of things, as Taehyung realizes with glee.

Literally Jeongguk is doing nothing, just laying there when Taehyung wakes up after what feels like a refreshing 52 hours nap. Snuggled into Taehyung's pillow as if he owns it, dark hair fanned out on the cream-white silk and features relaxed. Calm, angelic. Not giving away what a spitfire the younger can be.

He's completely undisturbed in his sleep too. Doesn't notice the matress shift beneath him when Taehyung sits up. And Taehyung, well. He sometimes is an opportunist. Who is he even kidding, he's gonna be an opportunist many many times from now on when it comes to a certain younger co-worker of his.

So he has absolutely no shame in the way he stares at Jeongguk sleeping peacefully next to him. (In his bed, as his mind suppiles all-so-helpfully.) Has no shame in the way he leans over him to take his time to study Jeongguk's features for however long he wishes. With a pinkie he traces the dark lashes fanning the younger's cheeks. The soft hair is tickling, making him huff a little puff of warm air in the other's face.

Jeongguk doesn't budge.

Naturally, Taehyung decides to have some fun.

First he gets out his phone and starts to take lots of pictures. Lots. Of them. Going from a low-angle shot in front of the younger's feet to not so graceful closeups of his nostrils. Taehyung snickers the whole time.

After he's certain he got a good amount of blackmailing material, he pulls one of the pillows out of its linen and pokes around until finding a feather sticking out. Tickling a sleeping person until they smack themselves is a classy, and classics need to be upholded.

Taehyung does it thrice, traces the feather's soft tip across the younger's face and watches how he slaps himself. Hard. The smacking sounds echo in the silent room and there is a red mark blooming on Jeongguk's cheek.

Yet he's not disturbed at all. Doesn't even grumble and turn around or something, just continues sleeping with deep even breaths and occasional little snores that are way too cute for Taehyung's heart to handle.

After the third triggered facepalm he stops, getting slowly worried the younger's face will be swollen if he continues. Jeongguk's strength is no joke, even when he's passed out like that.

Taehyung switches to something more harmless. He gets up and into his closet to retrieve one of his makeup boxes. Settles with it on the edge of the bed and sorts through it, caution thrown out the window long since as packages rustle and tubes and bottles click against each other. Jeongguk won't wake up, not from that. That much is for sure.

With a devilish little grin Taehyung opts for an old bottle of black nail polish. It's one that glimmers metallically under the light, something Taehyung has gotten for a costume party ages ago and never used again ever since. But today it might come in handy. He grins as he carefully places one of Jeongguk's hands on his own thigh and positions it so it's comfortably splayed out. Checks again if the other is asleep and then gets to work.

 

Twenty minutes later Taehyung puts the makeup box away with a big pout.

Somehow Jeongguk actually pulls off the emo black nail look. It doesn't look half as silly as Taehyung anticipated.

Feeling kind of robbed, Taehyung fetches a box of matchsticks and starts stacking them on Jeongguk's forehead. Nobody could possibly look good with a little matchstick tower in their face, not even Jeongguk. Right? Right.

Pity that Taehung sneezes right into the younger's face the very moment he deems his work done. Effectivelly sending dozens of matchsticks flying in every direction.

Bummer.

Maybe he should bleach Jeongguk's hair blue next or something.

Or maybe-

Jeongguk smacks his lips and shifts, scratches at his chest. Rucking up his large white shirt and revealing endless planes of unmarred honey skin stretched taut over muscles.

Damn you Jeon Jeongguk.

Taehyung gulps.

Hesitates a moment with his hand hovering in the air before he lowers it and caresses the younger's toned stomach. Those are some fine abs here. Wait. Is this already to be considered ual harassment? But then again, it's Jeongguk's own fault, right? Uhm.

The thought disturbs him a little so Taehyung decides to just try one last thing. 

With bated breath he pinches at one of Jeongguk's s.

And.

Jeongguk instantly bolts up and stands in the bed, eyes wide, body strung like a bow as his head whips from side to side.

Headbumping Taehyung hard and painfully with the sudden movement and causing the older to loose his balance and tumble off the bed, landing on the floor with a humilating thud.

He groans and rubs at his forehead, then looks up to where Jeongguk is still hovering and scanning his surroundings for any danger. Until his gaze finally settles on Taehyung.

The younger takes some deep breaths before asking with an eerily calm voice,

"Did you pinch my s just now?"

Taehyung splutters.

Jeongguk is not impressed. Doesn't even budge.

"Wh-what, why are you asking such a thing all of a sudden?"

And yeah Taehyung is a little flustered.

"There are only very few things that manage to wake me up," Jeongguk says with a hum in his voice, corners of his mouth twitching upwards. "So, did you?"

The younger is awake since less than a minute yet somehow already has that intense gaze he gets around Taehyung so often lately. As if he doesn't need half an hour for his eyes to cooperate and do their job properly, like any other normal human being. Taehyung scowls. How is Jeongguk so wide awake in an instant? And able to give him a look that makes him tingle all over? Unfair. Taehyung himself looks pretty much like a dead man walking one minute after waking up. Jeongguk must've discovered some loophole in humanity, the little .

"I'm not answering that dumb question." 

Taehyung is just fine sulking on the floor, thank you very much.

Another hum from above.

"I take that as a yes then."

"Wh- you er, I literally never said-"

"Oh, but you did."

There is way too much satisfcation in the other's voice for Taehyung's liking. He sniffs.

"Pray tell, when and where and how was I ever saying-"

"Hyung, you can just cut the crap, admit to it and then maybe Imma let you touch while I'm awake too," Jeongguk says with an eyeroll.

Taehyung's mouth snaps shut. He blinks.

"Uhm."

And Jeongguk, that little menace, has the audacity to smirk down at him with raised eyebrow. "You gonna get back up here or what?"

Taehyung hoists himself up and onto the bed, flings out a hand to swat the younger's chest. Jeongguk doesn't even flinch. Taehyung scowls at the menace. Screw. Him.

Before there can be a complaint from the older, Jeongguk takes a hold of him, one arm wrapping around his waist and other hand gripping at his armpit to bodily drag him over until Taehyung is pulled up and sprawled all over Jeongguk.

He's got half a mind to think 'oh wow he is so strong, that's freaking hot' until there is the soft press of lips against his own and oh. Yeah, yeah he is cool with that too.

Talk about opportunities of sharing a bed.

Taehyung sighs against Jeongguk's velvety mouth and allows himself to get lost in the sensation of their mouths languidly molding against each other. Hums low in his throat where he's laying on top of Jeongguk and presses just that little bit closer. Nips at Jeongguk's bottom lip, pulling a hiss from the younger before soothing the sting with a feather-light peck and going back to a sweet innocent kiss. Kissing for the sake of kissing, one close-mouthed press of lips turning into many.

They stay like this for quite a while, Jeongguk's hands roaming Taehyung's back in the same unhurried manner the younger keeps kissing him. It's nothing short of blissful. Makes Taehyung feel all warm and secure. Content.

His body grows heavy again and eventually he finds himself drawing away from that inviting mouth in favour of nosing along Jeongguk's jawline and peppering his neck with little kisses. His breath slowing down and pulling the brakes on Taehyung's every action until he's just lazily nuzzling into that tender spot where Jeongguk's neck meets shoulder and sighing into the warm skin.

"You good?" Jeongguk asks with low and hushed voice.

One hand is carding through Taehyung's hair as he lets the older do whatever he wants.

"Mhm."

Taehyung's hand tightens where he's gripping a handful of the younger's shirt and then slackens once more.

"M sleepy."

Jeongguk chuckles into his hair. "You big baby. Still didn't sleep enough?"

"Not a baby," Taehyung grumbles. Is not even sure Jeongguk has any chance understanding him with how muffled it is. But he's too lazy to lift his head from Jeongguk's shoulder. Sue him.

The younger nips his side. Taehyung blindly swats at him.

"No? You're not a baby you say? Don't want me to call you that?"

He sounds perfectly smug and Taehyung rolls his eyes. Just where exactly does Jeongguk take all that not-asked-for sass from? Shouldn't there be a daily limit or something? The disrecpect, seriously.

"."

"Okay I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that just now."

"No no, don't, I absolutely said that."

Jeongguk huffs a laugh into his ear. "You don't know what's good for you, do you? Don't know when to stop, hm?"

"Why, what could you possibly do?"

And okay yeah Taehyung is aware there are quite a few things Jeongguk could do to make him pay but seriously? That kid needs a lesson. Lest he thinks he can act however he wants and behave like a brat unchecked. Nope, Taehyung is having none of it. He'll play it cool for however long he can.

"Well for one, I could not bring you breakfast - or lunch, honestly I have no clue how late it is - to your bed."

Taehyung rolls down from Jeongguk and flops down next to Jeongguk, belly up. He shrugs.

"So? I'm not hungry anyway. Just sleepy."

"What - for real?"

Jeongguk sounds a little disbelieving, a little stunned. 

Taehyung hums again.

"Yeah. So leave me alone with... with your empty threats. Just wanna rest."

He doesn't bother covering the yawn ripping out of him.

Next to him, Jeongguk chuckles and shifts, mattress moving under them.

"Alright, whatever. Go back to sleep then, pillow princess."

With an offended huff Taehyung turns onto his side and throws his right arm and leg over the younger.

"I- yo, what the -"

Taehyung kicks at him.

"Hush. You are the perfect body pillow. Stop complaining so much and let me snuggle."

"I never said I'm a snuggler too-"

Taehyung pulls away and gasps. Doesn't even have to feign the scandalized look on his face because what.

"What. You don't like snuggles?!"

"That's not what I-"

"Oh my god. I can't believe you. Do you have a heart made of stone? How is this possible? Snuggling is literally the best pastime ever, I can do this whole days long with Jimin and yet here you are, claiming you don't-"

"For 's sake!"

Jeongguk pulls Taehyung back down against him somewhat harshly. All but smashing the older's head against his chest and throwing his own arm around Taehyung with an annoyed grumble.

"Jeon Jeongguk, language!"

Jeongguk snorts. 

The nerves of that kid!

"Yeah yeah, whatever. All I'm saying is that maybe you shouldn't always assume everything. Now go back to sleep and stop being a drama queen."

"What- mind you, I'm not Seokjin," Taehyung mumbles into a sturdy chest.

It doesn't have the bite he intended it to have, not with how his eyes have been falling shut and his mind is already drifting off, words tapering off and slurring together at the end.

Jeongguk retorts something - because of course he does - but Taehyung doesn't hear anymore. Is almost asleep, safely wrapped around whatever parts of Jeongguk he can get and holding on tight.

This, he thinks right before entering dreamland, this is nice.

This feels like home.

 

The next time he wakes up, Jeongguk is nowhere to be seen.

The distant clatter coming from the direction of his kitchen gives Taehyung an idea of what the younger is up to. He takes the opportunity to check his phone in what feels like the first time since days. Which. Uh-oh. Wrong move.

Taehyung yelps at the baffling number of 173 unread messages. .

Loud stomping footsteps hurry down the hallway and Taehyung comes to face with a bewildered Jeongguk who all but flies into the room, grabbing the doorframe to halt his momentum and not crash smack-dab into the wall.

"What-what's wrong?"

He's panting, chest heaving, eyes all wide and scanning the room for threats.

Taehyung stares. Just how fond is the younger of him to come rushing like that as soon as he hears a little sound of distress. It's mind-boggling. Now Jeongguk is stepping closer and taking  his face in both hands to inspect him.

Taehyung stares and stares and stares. Can't wrap his mind around it all.

"Uhm." He his lips nervously, then holds up his phone for Jeongguk to see the 'you have 173 new messages' written all across the screen.

Jeongguk's jaw slackens.

The his shoulders start to shake, until he's laughing, loud and high and unrestrained, whole body trembling as he holds his stomach.

It' enough to get Taehyung out of his moonstruck state.

"Yah!" He slaps Jeongguk's arm, misses, loses balance and almost rolls off the bed. Making Jeongguk laugh even harder if possible.  "Yah, stop laughing at me and my misery! Yah Jeon Jeongguk, come here you little !"

Of course Jeongguk does very much not 'come here'. Darts out of reach instead with a playful smirk and then leaves the room with another cackle.

Taehyung srambles after him, picks up one of his loafers from the ground and runs after him yelling bloody murder.

 

They barely avoid slipping on the sleek marble floor and cracking open their heads on sharp corners for a total of four times.

Next time he's coming over, Jimin is going to kill him for that fact alone.

Taehyung gulps.

 

He spends the better part of the afternoon answering his horrid mountain of messages, most of them from Baekhyun but also some from Minjae, his boss and-

Taehyung turns around to where Jeongguk is sprawled all over the couch and squints at the younger.

"Jeongguk?"

"Hm?"

"Why does Yugyeom have my number?"

Jeongguk turns a spectacular shade of red.

"Story. Now," Taehyung demands from his end of the large circular couch.

"Hyung," Jeongguk whines. "Hyung, can we not?"

The older perks up at that. Jeongguk never calls him hyung unless he's in trouble. What exactly does Taehyung not know here? It makes him even the more curious. On the other hand...

"Alright, I'll let it slide. For now. Just because you called me hyung."

There is a telltale exhale and Jeongguk's whole body relaxes again from where it's gone all tense in a matter of seconds.

Damn, that must be a juicy story, if the reactions are like that.

Well. At least Jimin doesn't know yet about Taehyung collapsing at work.

 

"YOU DID WHAT?!?" Jimin screeches into the phone so loud Taehyung has to hold the device at a safe distance from his ears. "KIM ING TAEHYUNG I'M GONE FOR LIKE ONE DAY-"

"How do you even know?" Now Taehyung is the one whining and begging for mercy. Oh, how the turntables.

"Seokjin told me, obviously-"

"What, how does he know?!"

"From Namjoon, duh."

"Since when does Jin know my boss?!?"

Jimin calms down for the time being, too distracted by the new topic and Taehyung's apparent non-existing knowledge of... all this.

"What do you mean, since when?" Jimin sounds genuinely confused. "He's been in touch with Namjoon ever since you applied there for your new job. They are like, super close."

"WHAT!?"

"Why are you shocked? I'm the one supposed to be shocked during this phone call, you big fat moron."

Okay, time-out. Taehyung needs to process.

He says as much but Jimin is having none of it.

"No, you listen here you little er, you can't just up and go and kwarosa on me, you hear? I'm booking a flight ticket to Incheon right about now, just you wait..."

Somewhere next to him, Taehyung can hear the muffled laughter of Jeongguk. He throws an apple at him. Jeongguk dodges it and the poor fruit falls on the ground.

Taehyung scowls.

 

True to his word, Jimin makes an appearance on Taehyung's doorstep that same evening. He is still fuming, a little volcano ready to go off at any given moment. Taehyung wordlessly lets him in and prays for mercy.

He barely gets a hello from Jimin before his friend spots Jeongguk in the hallway and marches up to him with determined steps. Quick clacks of his heels on the floor a proof of his barely contained fury. About what, Taehyung can only guess as he watches the events unfold.

Jeonggun is already retracting from the approaching figure, obviously unsure what to expect.

It's safe to say he did not expect getting slapped in the face by one angry Jimin.

Hard.

The sound of skin meeting skin echoes in the room before everything falls silent for a moment.

Then,

"W-what-"

"Don't you ever hurt Taehyung again you scumbag," Jimin seethes. Gets up on his toes to spit the words right into Jeongguk's stunned face.

Short people fury is no joke.

And combined with best friend anger? Deadly.

Jimin it seems, is not quite done yet.

"Never again have him go into overwork mode, you hear me? Pull that stunt again and you will taste these fists."

Jeongguk's eye grow larger with each sentence.

"What, that's not what ha-"

Jimin explodes. "Of ing course it's what happened you dumb piece of ! You drove him away and closed him out and he coped with the only way he knows. The worst way. Don't you try to make excuses on me, I know more about the matter than you can imagine."

"Alright alright, that's enough," Taehyung steps in.

Literally; forcing himself between the two, shielding Jeongguk from his friend. He's not gonna let Jimin continue his tirade. Doesn't want him to act like that towards Jeongguk.

But also he really doesn't like where this is going. Both Jimin and him have been in a dark place not all that long ago. They're better now but Taehyung is affraid Jimin will bring it up in another uncontrolled burst of anger. He doesn't want that, doesn't want Jeongguk to look at him with pitiful eyes.

However.

During his whole grand plan of stepping in to save both Jeongguk and himself from more humiliation, Taehyung did not count on Jimin still being pissed at him too.

So the slap he has to cash in comes as a surprise.

"Don't get me started on your own stupidity and non-existent level of self-care, Kim Taehyung," Jimin hisses and jabs a pointed finger in his chest.

Taehyung rubs his burning cheek and gapes.

"Did-did you just hit me?" he asks in utter disbelief.

"Yes. And I will hit you again if you don't stop being stupid."

The way Jimin states it like a given fact makes Taehyung want to really never be stupid again. He fully believes Jimin will hit him again. Short people temper and best friend devotion, remember?

 

Two and a half hours later, Taehyung remembers a good retort.

Why does it always take so freaking long to come up with witty remarks?

The three of them are all squashed against each other and in the process of finding a comfortable position on Taehyung's bed. They're at it for at least ten minutes.

What started as Jeongguk leading Taehyung to his bed and the older pulling him down to wrap himself all around Jeogguk again, had been interrupted by Jimin charging at them with the energy of an angry rhino and jumping them. Forcing himself between the two with no remorse, ellbows knocking this and that way.

So now they are stuck in an advanced-level kind of shape-fitting riddle (others would say puzzle but that's too mainstream).

Taehyung bends his left arm just that little more to knock on Jimin's head with his knuckles.

"If you beat me again," he slurs against the impending heaviness of sleep, "I'll drag your sorry to my dentist."

Next to him Jimin blanches.

"No, come-on man." 

The model forces out a laugh that's way too strained. Taehyung would never buy it.

"Come on, don't be mean. You know how vulnerable I am around these creatures. It won't end well."

"You hurt him, you pay. Easy," Jeongguk simps from behind the Jimin-shaped wall.

Taehyung snorts.

There is no way the youngest knows anything about how deep Jimin's aversion against dentists runs. Still. Jeongguk is a human being made of muscles and spite, of course he would not let the opportunity pass.

He grins at the younger over Jimin's head. Jeongguk catches it and gives him a little wink. Taehyung has to turn around to hide hs blush. Disrupting their at long last found position with each other and earning himself a string of tired complaints.

"This is literally my bed, and I can lay in it however I want," he cuts both of his uninvited guests off.

Neither Jimin nor Jeongguk have something to counter that.

Ha, victory.

Soon enough sleep is claiming him. No wonder, he always sleeps best with Jimin hugging him tight. Although Taehyung is still a bit miffed about his friend's whole performance tonight, his body has no trouble identifying Jimin as homey and safe place. Lulling Taehyung into dreamland before he knows it.

The last thing he's conscious to notice is a tentative hand sneaking into his hair and coming to a rest just atop of his head, too big to belong to Jimin.

 

Morning comes and Jimin is gone.

It's disorienting as .

Taehyung hasn't even opened his eyes when he notices someone is missing, his hand - the one he can still feel and use, that's not currently smothered by an unmovable weight - patting around for the second body next to him. He finds none. Which, mind you, what the heck? Where did Jimin go?

He owlishly blinks around to confirm the absence of his best friend with his own  two eyes. Just to come to face with Jeongguk's collarbones, almost touching his nose. Uhm. Wow.

Taehyung bites his lip and starts praying.

Dear lord, please no morning wood, no morning wood, no morning wood...

"Jimin's gone shopping," Jeongguk rumbles into his shoulder.

Ignoring the wet patch forming on his sleeve under the younger's mouth, Taehyung basks in the raspy sound of that morning voice.

Until, wait.

"How did you know I'm awake."

"Excuse me," Jeongguk drawls, tightens his hold on where he's grabbing handfuls of Taehyung's before  letting go. 

Which is how Taehyung has known immediately who was missing, by the way. Jimin would never grab his while asleep. He's more of a lazy arms flung anywhere kind of person.

"Was that supposed to be a secret? You slapped me. Thrice."

Taehyung's tongue darts out. He keeps his head levelled with those teasing collarbones, will most definitely not look up to meet that pitch black stare first thing in the morning. Nope, no way.

"Oh," he croaks at last. Wants to slap himself. Eloquent, very classy Kim Taehyung. Good job.

"Also, before he jeft, Jimin told me to tell you this: 'I won't be gone for long. Don't you dare to make use of my absence and make out or start ing, Imma grill you both alive'."

Jeongguk does his best to immitate Jimin's voice.

And, truth be told? He's not even bad at it. Does a good job of copying that pouty attitude. Color Taehyung impressed.

The hands on his squeeze again and yeah, that's it. Taehyung tilts his head up to find Jeongguk indeed staring at him with an intensity that makes his skin crawl. Screw decency.

"Yeah well, we should absolutely not listen to him," Taehyung hushes.

The little smirk Jeongguk gives him is answer enough.