~ 1 ~

The son no one knew existed

20 years later

For 20 years, it's the talk of the town. 20 years ago, the first born son of the king was kidnapped and never has been seen again. Since then, the king hasn't stopped looking for his first child. Now, his second son has been chosen as the crown prince. But the king did say that as soon as he found his son, his first born son will be given the position of crown prince. And although many people said that the king should give up on his search, the king refuses to give up.

I hear a lot of people talk about it while I'm having lunch with my friends at a small restaurant. It's annoying, but what can I do? I mean, I'm just like them... with super powers or something. I discovered that I was different when I was 5 years old, but I don't use them that often. Some kids bullied me for it and called me a witch, but I managed to make them keep their mouth shut. The strangest thing about this, is that my parents are poor and wear worn clothes. Whereas I wear something completely different. At daytime, I have to dress myself as a scholar. But at night, I have to wear fancy clothes that no one has ever seen before. I have to wear a long black coat, with a purple shirt and black pants underneath. I wonder where this comes from, but apparently there are some strange people that bring these over and force me to wear them. Also, my eyes change color when I use my powers. When I use my powers, my eyes turn into cat eyes which are yellow.

I was forced in a secret organisation that people like me are a part of and they all wear an outfit similar to mine. My parents know about my super powers and they tell me to be cautious, since people are very talkative and they will expose me when they find out I'm not like them. Just like other men, my hair is quite long and up in a bun to perfectly fit under my hat. But my black hair has a silver grey shade to it, making it the most special color my town has ever seen. A lot of the time, people are talking about my hair color and they wonder what I used to get it like that. Well, I don't have an answer to that. I was basically born with it and there is nothing that I can do to make it look like a normal hair color. Because the silver grey shade will always return, no matter how many times I try to dye it.

We overhear a conversation of other scholars, who are close to the royal family, which is about the search to the king's first born son and that some maids believe that the first born son is still alive. And right at that time, some guards pass us and it scares me. It has always scared me, so I'm kinda used to it now. After the guards have passed us, without paying a single bit of attention to us, the conversation switches to the men being terrified of creatures that apparently are living among the people. They call them magicians, while they are labelled as dangerous people. This is when I feel fear taking over me, because I'm a dead man when they find out that I am one of those creatures that they just mentioned. My three friends look at me and wonder what is going on, but I hold my index finger against my mouth as I want them to keep their mouths shut and listen to what the scholars are talking about. My friends know about the real me and even they find it hard to keep their mouth shut about it, but they still do so to protect me.

''Does the king know about these creatures living among us? I'm sure he wants them dead.'' one of the scholars says and the others seem to agree, as I can only hear them hum. I have heard about that aswell, but it never stops me from feeling scared on the inside. If the king finds out what I am, I'm dead for sure. Well, dead? I found out that I'm immortal and that I can live forever. So I'm pretty sure that the king will torture the crap out of us.

''Yes, he does know about those magician type of creatures. I have heard that they don't die that easily, so the king might use a different method on them. Gosh, I can't wait to see them tortured.'' another scholar responds and shivers run down my spine. I don't want that fate to happen to me, so I wonder what my fellow people think about this. I don't even know how we are called, but I don't care either. Even though I am in this organisation, I still don't feel like I'm like them and that they see me as one of them.

''Ehm Taekwoon? Can you just stop paying attention to that? It'll make it even more obvious that you are one of them.'' one of my friends says and I nod while a big sigh escapes from my lips, because I know that it shouldn't bother me that much. I know I am one of those that they want dead, but I should save my power for later. How do they call this? Magic or something. Oh well, I don't care too much about it. I continue to enjoy my food and I shrug it off what just happened. I mean, I have to attend a meeting tonight and I want to be well prepared. They expect me to show up, so I have no choice actually.

''Hmm, you're right about that. But still, it creeps me out. I hate it to be different.'' I respond and I continue to eat. I can't wait to leave this place, but my friends won't like it if I leave before them. Ever since we were kids, we made the deal that we always would walk home together and that we always will wait for each other. And as much as I hate this deal, I am okay with it. I mean, I'm not alone when I walk home and I at least can hide myself behind them if someone is looking for me. For now, I didn't have to hide for anyone and I don't think that it'll happen anytime soon. But you never know how it will change at some point. 

''Taekwoon, there is no way to feel that way. You still have us right?'' the same friend asks and starts to chuckle. I can't help but to act the same way, shrugging it off by releasing a small chuckle. After a small laugh, we continue to eat and we leave the restaurant when we're finished and after we have paid. We make our way towards Jae Young's house and we talk a lot during our way there. We basically grew up together and we know nearly everything about each other and everyone knows when someone is hiding a secret. Jae Young wanted to continue a drink at his place and all of us can't help but agree. I mean, we are all in for great drinks. But we still pour them ourselves, since I refused to let a maid serve me and the others didn't want the maids to know that I refused them. So if one rejected, the others automatically did too.

Then, another small group of soldiers passes us by and I can hear them yell to look into every house to find some evidence that the first born prince is still alive. It annoys me that the king still hasn't let go of the thought of finding his first born son again, but who am I to talk about it? I mean, I'm a special person with powers and I am far from being an average human being. Even if I would look like the prince, I still refuse to come with them to meet the king. The king would rather throw me in jail than treating me like a human being. We turn our heads after we looked at the soldiers and all of us have a questionable look on our faces. What the heck just happened? Why are they looking for the prince now? Oh well, who knows?