smitten

playing cupid (is a bad idea)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I don't get it."

 

No one paid attention to Winwin as he stared at the open classroom door, an elbow on the table propping his chin up. No one except for Yuta, that is, who was leaned back against his chair beside him with his head tilted back snoring loudly. At Winwin's voice, he sat up bleary-eyed. "Huh?"

 

"I said I don't get it. I mean, just look at him."

 

Yuta followed Winwin's gaze to their homeroom teacher, Mr. Donghae, talking to coach Hyukjae by the open doorway of the classroom. He had a dopey smile on his face as the coach said something to him, shoulder leaning against the wall. Coach Hyukjae must’ve said something funny when Mr. Donghae suddenly burst into loud laughter, hands coming up to slap the other’s chest and shoulders playfully. It wasn't any different from watching a schoolgirl flirting with her crush. Winwin winced at the cringiness.

 

“He’s like, disgustingly in love with coach Hyukjae.”

 

Yuta sank back into his chair and crossed his arms, the hood of his oversized hoodie covering half of his face. “When is he not?”

 

It was an open secret to the students of class 3-1 that Mr. Donghae had a crush on their physical education teacher, coach Hyukjae. It really wasn't hard to miss, every time the friendly coach dropped by their class to say hi or when they passed each other in the hallways, Mr. Donghae would be blushing madly. It started when they were all first years when Mr. Donghae had transferred from the countryside to their school in Seoul. Coach Hyukjae had welcomed him with a gift of a coffee mug, a cartoon of a smiling banana farting printed on it along with the words "tooty fruity" above it. Mr. Donghae thought it was adorable, Lucas had offered money for Johnny to 'accidentally' throw the offending thing out the window.

 

("Lucas, no, I'm not doing it--,"

 

"20 bucks."

 

Johnny squinted at the money, then sighed as he got off his chair. "Well, 20 bucks a 20 bucks."

 

Doyoung ran after him as he made a break for the mug on Mr. Donghae's unoccupied desk. "Johnny, NO!"

 

Thanks to Doyoung's fast reaction, the mug lived and stayed on the teacher's desk, much to Lucas' dismay.)

 

All the girls thought it was cute to see, most of the boys in class just wished they would stop with the flirting and get together already. The man was so lovestruck it was painful to see. So one day, Jaemin got an idea. "What if we get them together?"

 

Jeno continued filling up the exercise sheet as he replied, "get who together?"

 

"Mr. Donghae and the coach."

 

Taeyong, who sat in front of them, turned around in his seat and glared at Jaemin. "Please don't meddle with their relationship."

 

"But look at him, it's so frustrating to see. We gotta do something,” Jaemin whined. The trio looked over at the front of the class, where Mr. Donghae was busy admiring the stupid coffee mug for the umpteenth time after handing the students exercise sheets to keep them busy.

 

Jeno sighed, laid his pen down and turned to his seatmate. “And how do you think we should do that?”

 

Ten, who was eavesdropping from the table besides Taeyong, also whipped around excitedly. “I know!”

 

 

“This isn’t gonna work, guys."

 

Ten shushed Taeyong as he continued writing the love letter. Jaemin and Yuta sat on his left and right relaying the cheesiest romantic pick up lines and puns they could think of while Jeno, Winwin and Taeyong stood behind the trio. 

 

"Aside from being y, what else do you do for a living?" Yuta suggested.

 

Jeno looked at him confused. "A gym teacher, duh?"

 

Jaemin grabbed the pen and letter away from Ten. "Is your mother a beaver? Because dammmm," he recited while writing.

 

Winwin winced. "Now that's just offensive."

 

The bell rang, signalling the end of free period and the start of lunch break. Ten quickly took back the letter, signed it with Mr. Donghae's name in a rush at the bottom and folded it up into the bright pink envelope they had bought from the school's stationery shop earlier that morning. The three boys hurriedly got off their seats and exited the classroom, pulling Taeyong, Winwin and Jeno along. The six of them raced down the school hallways towards the teacher's office. They planned to place the love letter on coach Hyukjae's desk while he was away and make it look like it was from teacher Donghae. Ten had been so sure of the plan, and at Yuta and Jaemin's insistence the other boys could only go along with it.

 

They only realized a kink in Ten's plan when they arrived at the teacher's office and saw the sign on the wooden double doors.

 

ONLY STAFF AND PREFECTS INSIDE
NO STUDENTS ALLOWED

 

"Well ," Taeyong said as the other boys groaned. 

 

Winwin glared at Ten. "What do we do now? This was your plan."

 

At that moment, the double doors opened. Kun jumped slightly at suddenly coming face to face with the six boys right in front of him. "Jesus Christ, you guys scared me."

 

Ten looked down from his shocked expression at the prefect uniform he was wearing. A lightbulb in his head. "Hey, Kun, could you help us out?"

 

The prefect squinted at them in suspicion. His classmates smiled innocently. After a few long seconds, he sighed. "Whatever you guys are up to, I don't want any part of it." He slipped past them and was close to escaping their grasp when Ten grabbed his wrist. 

 

"Kun, pleaseee," Ten begged while staring at the prefect with big, puppy eyes. He pouted desperately. "It's really important. Can you help me just this once, pleaseee?" 

 

The other five boys pretended they didn't notice the red blush creeping up the prefect's face as he stared at Ten in surprise. He cleared his throat and pulled his arm away from the other's grip. "F-fine. What do you need?"

 

Ten smiled brightly and frantically took out the envelope from his pocket. "Can you put this on coach Hyukjae's desk?"

 

Kun took the envelope cautiously and regarded it like it was a live bomb. "What is it?"

 

"Don't worry about it!" Yuta said as he opened the teacher's office door for him. "Just a little, uh, appreciation letter for the coach."

 

The prefect knew his classmates well enough to know that they were acting more suspicious than normal. He didn't bother wasting his time prodding them and walked into the room. The other boys stuck themselves on the door and watched through the glass window pane as Kun made his way to the coach's table next to Mr. Kyuhyun's desk. The Maths teacher looked up from the papers he was grading at the prefect. Kun bowed politely. "Just dropping something off," he explained, then placed the envelope on the table gingerly. Mr. Kyuhyun nodded silently and the boy walked back out the room unscathed. Right as the door closed behind him, Ten wrapped his arms around the boy excitedly.

 

"Thank you thank you thank you!" He said as he jumped up and down, dragging the boy along with him. Kun struggled to escape his hug while loudly protesting, though a part of him was secretly savouring his embrace, as shown from the prominent blush on his face.

 

 

The next day, the boys were in the locker room changing into their gym clothes for P.E. class when the door swung open and coach Hyukjae walked in. 

 

"Kun, can you follow me please?" Their coach said, his face blank.

 

Ten, Taeyong, Winwin, Jaemin, Yuta and Jeno stared at the prefect with wide eyes. Kun gulped and left his locker, trailing after their coach like a lost duckling. He looked behind him at the six boys, his terrified eyes begging them to help him. But there was nothing they could do but watch as Kun and coach Hyukjae exited the locker room, the door slamming close behind them.

 

They looked at each other worriedly then hurriedly packed their bags into their respective lockers and ran out of the changing room one after another. They notice Kun talking to the coach at the other end of the gym by the bleachers as they walk in. The boys awkwardly hung around for their conversation to end. Jaemin picked up a ball and started a 1v1 basketball match with Jeno while the others stood by the sidelines sneaking glances at the prefect.

 

A minute goes by before coach Hyukjae smiled and patted his head in a brotherly manner. The coach walked away to round up the class. Yuta, Taeyong, Winwin and Ten quickly jogged over to the dejected-looking boy.

 

"What happened?" Taeyong said as he laid a comforting hand on Kun's shoulder. 

 

The boy looked up and shoved something into Ten's chest. The latter looked down and grabbed the piece of paper from Kun's hand. They noticed the pink envelope and collectively realized what it was. 

 

"Did he--"

 

"Appreciation letter my !" Kun huffed angrily. "You signed this stupid love letter with 'Mr. Donghae' and the coach knew immediately it was forged. Then Mr. Kyuhyun told him he saw me place the letter on his desk and he thought I did it!"

 

Taeyong grabbed the crumpled envelope away from Ten and unfolded the letter. Right there, beneath all the terrible pickup lines they wrote, in Ten's obvious chicken scratch was a fake signature followed by a glaringly obvious 'Mr. Donghae'. Winwin cuffed the back of Ten's head.

 

"Ow!"

 

"Why the hell would Mr. Donghae write 'Mr.' in front of his own name in a love letter?"

 

Ten rubbed his head while pouting. 'I was in a rush…"

 

Jeno and Jaemin approached the group, dragging Chenle in between them. "So?" Jaemin asked with an oblivious smile. "Did it work?"

 

Taeyong passed the letter to Jeno. The three boys who just arrived at the scene read it and Chenle laughed out loud when he saw the mistake. "Idiot."

 

"So what do we do now?" Yuta asked.

 

Chenle looked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter