And so it was fate

Orange Scarf
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/n: Happy Seulrene Day, and I know Valentine’s Day is over, but because I didn’t have time to really do anything for that day, and this is still February, I figured why not do something somewhat Valentine’s Day inspired, so yes, it should be okay! Thank you for reading and happy Seulrene Day everyone!




 

Three women were talking in the longue area of their floor, one of them making coffee, while the other two pointed at their friend who was hard at work at her desk. It wasn’t like they didn’t have top secret conversations without her all the time. However, this was important. They are after all three concerned friends. 

 

“Well, should we ask Joohyun if she would like us to set her up for Valentine's Day?” Park Sooyoung is the one to ask. The taller, redhead decides she is done looking at their friend and would like a cup of coffee too. “A pretty woman like her, it would be too easy to find someone.”

 

“I guess we could.” Son Seungwan nods as she’s now done with her coffee, at least it was believed to be her coffee. As the blonde hands it over to Kim Yerim. The younger of the three women is still looking at Joohyun. But accepts the coffee.

 

“Oh thanks, Wan.” The pink-haired woman smiles. “Only you can make my coffee how I like.”

 

“Anything for you, Yerimie.”

 

“Ugh, come on you two. Cut that out, it's not even Valentine’s Day yet”

 

“Fine, fine.” Yerim sighs in exaggeration but still touches Seungwan’s hand anyway. Sooyoung is only messing with them. She’s honestly glad they finally got themselves together. Now they need to find someone for their friend. 

 

“Just look at her over there, so pathetic and alone.” Sooyoung points. But in truth Joohyun doesn’t really look all that pathetic or alone. She simply looks like a woman focused on her laptop. 

 

“She looks cold.” Yerim says in a deadpan voice since it’s true she is wearing a huge purple sweater when the office isn’t even all that cold. Seungwan laughs out loud in that (my girl is the funniest ever sort of way) and shakes her head.

 

“You know. In all seriousness, have you not considered the fact that maybe Hyun isn’t interested in anyone at this time.” Seungwan addresses Sooyoung in particular, because it’s a very real possibility. Their friend has turned down people, it’s not like Joohyun has not ever been asked out. Perhaps, she’s really not interested in anyone at this point in time. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

 

“No?” Sooyoung shrugs like that thought didn’t cross her mind at all. “Come on, let’s go and gauge her reaction to what we say.”

 

“Alright, not like I had actual work to do or anything.” Yerim sighs, thinking about the ton of papers on her desk waiting for her. Still, they all make their way to Joohyun’s desk where their friend is definitely working. At first, Joohyun doesn’t even notice them. That is until Sooyoung clears extra loudly. The raven-haired woman looks up and finally notices her friends. Sooyoung looks down impatiently. Yerim looks like she wants to be anywhere else, and Seungwan is smiling apologetically. 

 

“What’s wrong?” Joohyun wonders, assuming there must be something wrong. If they’re all standing around her desk instead of working. There just has something to be something wrong.

 

“Hey, why does something have to be wrong just because we’re standing at your desk, huh.” Sooyoung asks in an offended tone. 

 

Joohyun sighs. Why did she pick working at the same place with her friends again? Thankfully, ever the voice of reason. Seungwan speaks up.

 

“We’re sorry, Joohyun. Nothing’s really wrong, per say. We would just like to ask your opinion on something.”

 

“Okay?”

 

“You’re being too nice, now let’s get to the point.” Sooyoung interrupts again, and all Joohyun can do is sit helplessly as her three friends go on and on. Or rather Sooyoung is doing most of the talking, and Seungwan is trying to get her to see reason, while Yerim is on her phone playing a game. Joohyun has no idea what’s going on, and so she does the only thing she can at a time like this.

 

“They’re giving out free chocolate ice cream in the lobby, better go get some now.”

 

“What, free ice cream!” And just like that it sends all three of her friends running to the elevator. It’s a hilarious sight to see her friends running like madwomen to get to the elevator. Joohyun feels somewhat bad too that she lied about their being ice cream. However, things must be done sometimes in order to achieve peace, which was what Joohyun needed to get her work done. 

 

Joohyun had about five minutes of peace before the sound of angry footsteps were heard and Sooyoung slammed her hands on her desk.

 

“Excuse me, how dare you lie about ice cream!”

 

“Chocolate ice cream at that.” Yerim shakes her head.

 

“It was kind of mean to lie about chocolate ice cream.” Seungwan agrees. At the same time understanding why Joohyun did. They were kind of bothering her when it’s very clear she’s trying to work.

 

“I’m sorry, but I just have a lot of work to do. And none of you were making any sense.

 

“For the record, none of this is my idea. I have a ton of work on my desk too. This is all Soo’s fault as usual.” Yerim points to the taller woman who looks like she wants to hit the youngest. Only for a moment before taking a deep breath.

 

“Fine, it is my fault. Hyun, listen we just want to know if you’d like us to set you up for Valentine’s Day.”

 

“What?”

 

“Yeah, you can be a part of a cute couple like Yerimie and Wan.” She points to the two who of course just happen to be holding hands right on cue. Joohyun knows she’s staring, mostly as she has no idea what to say. Why do her friends think she wants to be set up with anyone? She’s not even expressed having interest in anyone at this time, and Joohyun has reasons for that.

 

“Thanks, but no thank you.”

 

“Aw, but Hyun. There’s plenty of pretty women around the office. What about that Jung Jessica woman? I know I saw her checking you out?”

 

“Jung Jessica is very married to my friend Hwang Tiffany.” Joohyun speaks in this sort of serious way that looks scary. Aka she isn’t about to be some homewrecker.

 

“She is…”

 

“Duh,” Yerim sighs. “Everyone knows that, Soo. Well, what about that Chaeyoung chick. I saw you talking to her.”

 

Sooyoung gasps suddenly. “Not Chaeyoung! That one is mine!”

 

“Um, Chaeyoung is dating Jennie.” Seungwan speaks up. Sooyoung places her hand over her heart and proceeds to cry out like she is utterly devastated. 

 

“Is this no longer a workplace or…” Joohyun sighs and rubs her temples. Again, why did she work at a place where her friends work.

 

“Alright, fine, but we’ll find you someone yet, Joohyun.”

 

“I don’t want anyone. At least no one here.”

 

“Hmm…” Now that was certainly worth notice. What does Joohyun mean she’s not interested in anyone here? Does that mean she already has someone special? No, that doesn’t seem likely. Because they are positive their friend would tell them if she had been seeing someone.

 

“What does that mean, Joohyun” Seungwan wonders.

 

“It means…” She begins and suddenly clutches her bright orange scarf around her like she’s freezing. “It means you all should get back to work and stop asking so many questions.”

 

“AWW…” There’s loud collective sighs among her friends, and that amuses Joohyun. They agree to get back to work. But that doesn’t mean they don’t want answers. They surely want answers, and claim that when it’s time for lunch. They will be back and ready for said answers. Joohyun doesn’t respond mostly as she’s typing again.

 

“Hey, Joohyun.”

 

“Oh my god, what now.” Joohyun slams the wrong buttons on her keyboard and she is startled. And looks up to see Sooyoung is gesturing to someone, a woman in a nice grey vest, white shirt and dark slacks. Someone they surely haven’t seen before but Joohyun does look again since there is something a bit familiar about her? But Joohyun isn’t all that sure.

 

“Look at that hot chick!” Sooyoung is so obvious that everyone is looking at her. For some reason, not the “hot chick” in question who has a tablet in hand, and is looking like she’s inspecting something. Maybe that’s what she’s here for, inspecting something from another floor? She’s not really dressed like a typical person working here.

 

“Shut up, Sooyoung!” Joohyun screams.

 

Kang Seulgi turns around the moment she hears the loud scream of the gorgeous dark-haired woman. It takes her about a second to realize who that woman is, though older now. Bae Joohyun is still the prettiest woman she has ever seen. Seulgi smiles to herself and almost calls out to her. But stops, realizing this is probably not the time.

 

“I’m sorry for my friend.” Joohyun turns to her in apology and it dawns on Seulgi that Joohyun doesn’t have any idea who she is. Seulgi simply nods and turns her attention back to what she is doing. After all, she is here on assignment anyway as a favor for the CEO of the company. Not to go connecting with people from her past. Although, Bae Joohyun is not just any person. She is her most important person.

 

“What, she is hot. Excuse me, hot woman!” Joy waves like a loonatic, causing Yerim and Seungwan to simply grab the taller woman and drag her away toward the side of the office they work at. But not before shouting apologies to Seulgi who only smiles in an awkward way. It seems Joohyun has certainly acquired some interesting friends now that they are adults. 

 

Joohyun wants to say she is surprised by that display. But isn’t really. That was honestly quite tame considering. Joohyun tries to turn back to the bespectacled woman in the vest, at least to apologize again. Sure the woman was definitely attractive. That didn’t make it okay to shout at her that she was. Only when Joohyun turned around the woman was already gone. 

 

“Oh….” Joohyun feels suddenly saddened by the fact that she’s gone. And finds herself hoping she will see her again, if for no reason but to seriously apologize on behalf of her friends. Or mostly Sooyoung as the case may be. For the time being Joohyun gets back to work.

 

And Kang Seulgi sits down in the temporary office she’s been given by the CEO while she’s on special assignment here. The monolid woman has the biggest smile on her face as she holds on tight to her work tablet. She always did hope to see Joohyun again, as it’s been many years since seeing her. Sure, the reunion would have gone a lot better and Joohyun wouldn’t have looked at her like she was a stranger. But Seulgi doesn’t fully blame her since they were small kids the last time they saw one another. Things have changed a bit since then. The one thing that gave Seulgi hope was the fact that Joohyun was wearing her scarf. If she was wearing the scarf then that meant she hadn’t forgotten about her.

 

“Which means there could still be a chance to at least talk to Hyunnie…” 

 

Why does she suddenly feel like that small kid again? Excited about the idea of seeing the one person who meant so much to her. 

 

“Okay, Kang.” Seulgi tells herself. “Pull yourself together, you are a professional working woman. You can’t just go forgetting you are here on assignment just because you saw Joohyun again.”

 

Oh, but how wonderful it was to see her again. Seulgi couldn’t help that she was taking it as a positive sign. Someone in the universe must have wanted them to meet again, for her to somehow end up at the exact place Joohyun is working. 

 

Now, she just had to talk to her again. Before Joohyun’s work day was over.

 

The same work day that was flying by faster than ever, especially as before Joohyun would have liked. The same friends were coming back to tell her it was time for lunch. Yerim seemed the most

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter