I Needed You the Most

Needed You the Most
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The cool breeze flew making Byulyi close her eyes to savor the coolness it offered. When she opened her eyes, she realized that the leaves of the trees had already changed colors, and her mind came to the conclusion that it was really autumn already. One year after she left…

 

 

Trying to shake off the melancholic mood she brought upon herself, Byulyi decided to walk around the community park for a while. When she arrives, people of all ages were also in park, spending their moments either with their loved ones or like her, alone. Children ran past by her, giggling while throwing leaves at one another, causing a smile to break on Byulyi’s face. She came to another conclusion; she really loved kids.

 

 

Byulyi decided that it was enough walking around when the breeze became a little colder. She decided to complete her wandering course by going to a tteokbokki house she frequented with—

 

 

Ah, I really should stop thinking about her.

 

 

Shaking her head, Byulyi walked inside the snack bar with pursed lips. The lady by the counter was already familiar with her after going there almost every day without consideration to time. The very lady smiled at her brightly when she enters the snack bar, bells jingling as she pushed through the door.

 

 

“The usual?” the lady asks.

 

 

Byulyi smiled at her. “Yes, thank you.”

 

 

Then proceeded to walk inside while looking for the spot she frequently sat at. It was the spot by the large window which offered a view of the outside, the very thing the Byulyi liked about it. She could observe as others took their time by walking, or rushing their way through thick crowds, and create scenarios in her head that would explain why they were doing what they did.

 

 

While waiting for her snack, Byulyi took out her camera and started taking pictures of the people outside without focusing on their faces. Faces that weren’t blurred would have to be edited later, she thoughts to herself. Can’t have people complaining about breaching their privacy when I upload this on my Instagram.

 

 

Taking photographs started out as her hobby until the marketing team of a famous studio contacted her and made her open up a commercial account. At first, Byulyi laughed it off, the idea that someone would be paying for her pictures was ridiculous to her. Sure, they were beautiful, but she didn’t think they were beautiful enough to be sold off. She was proven wrong when her first project became a through-the-roof hit, and hundreds of enthusiasts bid just to have her project.

 

 

Of course, after selling the project off, she had to take it down from her account but she still had the copy in her files. It was a sentimental project for her. She almost didn’t sell it even though the bidder offered 5 million won for it. That’s how much the project meant for her. It was also the last project she made with—

 

 

“Here.” The lady interrupted her thoughts which Byulyi didn’t mind if it meant not thinking about her. The lady placed in front of her a steaming pan filled with rice cakes and various shaped fish cakes. “I’ll have the Coke brought out later.”

 

 

After the promise, she left Byulyi to eat the snack in peace. At the first bite of the rice cake, Byulyi closed her eyes and groaned in content. She’s extremely happy that she was eating this right now, in this mood—

 

 

“Byulyi.”

 

 

Oh, . Am I dreaming? Please, do not let this heavenly tteokbokki be a dream.

 

 

“Byulyi.”

 

 

Or, maybe make it is a dream after all. It’s impossible to be hearing her voice in reality.

 

 

Slowly, Byulyi opened her eyes and looked at the person who was calling her. This must be a dream. She couldn’t do anything but stare up at the woman who was standing in front of her while holding the handle of a stroller which hid a baby from her eyes. The woman smiled down at her.

 

 

“Hi.” She says again. “May I sit with you?”

 

 

Byulyi stupidly nodded her head and motioned at the seat in front of her.

 

 

The woman placed the baby bag on the other chair beside her then flashed Byulyi another smile. “How are you?”

 

 

Byulyi thought about what to reply to the question while chewing the rice cake in . When she swallowed but still couldn’t decide on what to say, the lady came out again with Coke in her hand. She silently thanked the lady for coming out at the right time, and made a mental note to give her a huge tip for today.

 

 

“Oh,” her eyes brightened when she sees the familiar woman in front of Byulyi. “It’s been a while since you came here, and oh!” she eyes the stroller. “You have a little one! How old?”

 

 

“Two months.” The woman answered, giving Byulyi a guilty look.

 

 

Byulyi’s jaw tightened. Two months?

 

 

“Oh, better savor the time they’re still simply sleeping. Once they reached toddlerhood, oh boy.” The lady shook her head. “I’m guessing you’d want the same as hers?” she pointed at Byulyi’s food.

 

 

“Yes, thank you.”

 

 

When the lady left, Byulyi decided there was no point in keeping her feelings bottled up just because they were in somewhere public. It had been bottled up for a year, then she had the audacity to appear in front of her with her 2-month-old baby, and smile at Byulyi as if nothing was wrong.

 

 

“I don’t know what kind of sick game you’re playing, Yongsun.” Byulyi says through gritted teeth. “But just know that I’ll only be eating with you because I don’t want to humiliate a woman with a child in public.” She harshly stabs the fish cakes in her pan.

 

 

Yongsun reached out her hand to hold Byulyi’s but the latter flinches away before contact could be made. Yongsun sighed and retracted her hand.

 

 

“I could explain.” Yongsun looks up to her with desperate eyes. “Just hear me out.”

 

 

They were interrupted once again when the lady brought another pan to their table. Once the lady left, Yongsun eats multiple pieces of rice cakes and fish cakes as if she was starved for the whole week. She noisily munches on the food in while smiling apologetically at Byulyi.

 

 

“Sorry. I didn’t have the chance to eat lunch because I had to get Hyejin ready for today as well. And I had to rush because I know that you'll only be here for half an hour.” She apologizes then pauses. "I mean, if you still stuck with the same routine that you did before." Then, she reaches out inside the bag probably grabbing a baby bottle when the baby suddenly woke up crying.

 

 

Byulyi’s heart softened at the revelation. She couldn’t possibly remain mad when she realizes that Yongsun had dark undereyes probably from the lack of sleep motherhood came with, and that the woman’s cheeks, which were previously plump and full, were now almost hollow.

 

 

Byulyi sighed and reaches out for the stroller, sliding it towards her while Yongsun watches cautiously. When Byulyi notes that Yongsun still wasn’t eating, she motions at the pan.

 

 

“I’ll take care of her. Eat up.” She says. “Give me the baby bag.”

 

 

Yongsun did, however reluctant she seemed to be. After glaring at the woman and telling her to eat up, Byulyi tasks herself in feeding the baby in the stroller. She wasn’t new to taking care of babies, having taken care of a few nieces and nephews throughout the years made her more than able to do so.

 

 

Once Yongsun was finished, she offered to take the baby from Byulyi to let her eat. But at this point, her food had gone cold and she had asked for it to be heated up once more.

 

 

There was only silence between the two women, and Byulyi doesn’t know if it was comfortable or not. It should be comfortable though considering that Yongsun had been her bestfriend for more than a decade. But she doesn’t know if that applies to bestfriends who suddenly estranges the other half of the friendship for a year and comes back with a baby in tow. While deciding, she lets herself take a trip down to memory lane.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter