Three AM

Home
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s note and disclaimer: Inspired by EP 296 when Jong Kook’s mother came on the show and Jong Kook had to cook for him. 100% fiction :)

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________


 

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

 

Cho Hye-Seon reached over her left side to turn off her handy-dandy alarm clock that she brought with her while staying over at her youngest son’s apartment. Rubbing her eyes, she stared at the time, 3:00 am— it was time to get up.

 

Slowly lifting up the covers, she quietly sat up and was careful not to wake her husband. She moved to the bathroom and the faucet to wash her face and brush her teeth before picking up her wooden comb to fix the tiny curls that were sticking out. With steady of putting her strands back into their respective place, she casted a satisfied grin at her reflection on the mirror on how decent she looks. That ought to do it. Now she won’t scare her granddaughter with her tamed hair, in any case she’d wake up.

 

Ever since Jong Kook texted her that he and his lovely wife Ji Hyo were on their way to the hospital because her water broke, she immediately bugged her husband to pack their bags and travel all the way to Seoul so she could accompany his son and daughter-in-law and attend to their needs.

 

“Palli! Get dressed! We need to go to Seoul!” Hye Seon marched in their bedroom, passing by her husband who was busy watching a rerun of World Trade Center on HBO as she headed straight to their closet to get their clothes and travelling bags.

 

“Eh? What for?” Chung Su didn’t sound so interested as his eyes were still locked on the tv screen.

 

“Yah, your son just texted us that they’re on their way to the hospital!” She exclaimed, “We have to meet them there!”

 

Chung su clicked his tongue, “I’m sure Jong Kook’s got it covered. We won’t be needed there.”

 

“Yah!” Hye Seon turned back and glared at him, “If you think that your movie is more important than meeting our first grandchild from Jong Kook then you can stay. I can go to Seoul myself.”

 

“Jinja,” Chung Su muttered under his breath. “Arasso, arasso.”

 

Despite her husband’s protest, her argument won him over. Kim Chung Su may not have admitted it but he too would have greatly regretted it if he missed out on welcoming Jong Kook’s first child. And the moment they arrived at the hospital, Hye Seon’s motherly instincts proved Chung Su wrong (as usual) when they found Jong Kook panicking in the hospital corridor in search of ice chips.

 

“Adeul,” Hye Seon called his attention and quickly approached him. “Are you alright?” she asked upon seeing the crease on her son’s forehead.

 

“Omma? Abuji? How did you get here?” Jong Kook was surprised to find his parents at the hospital and was more flustered that they brought their sleepover bags.

 

“Did you message me? I’m sorry, Omma. I didn’t see…,“ Jong Kook took out his phone from his pocket to check if there were urgent messages.

 

“No we didn’t,” Chung Su replied. “Your mother dragged me here— ooof!”

 

Hye Seon forced a smile after elbowing her husband’s side, “I thought you’d need some company. How is our Ji Hyo holding up?”

 

Jong Kook let out a long sigh, “Not so good. It’s been four hours. She’s 6cm dilated and her contractions are getting stronger”

 

“That might still take some time since it’s her first birth,” Hye Seon empathized as she recalled her pregnancy experience as a first time mother.

 

“Do you need some ice chips?” Chung Su eyed on the empty cup his son was holding.

 

“Oh?“ Jong Kook stared at the empty cup on his left hand. “Right, I was just looking for it—”

 

Suddenly, the door of Ji Hyo’s private room opened and her painful moan was heard. Jong Kook’s head turned towards her room where a nurse had come out and bowed to greet him and his parents.

 

“Is my wife alright?” Jong Kook asked worriedly.

 

“Neh, just another contraction. She’s asking for you.”

 

“Ah. Kamsahamnida,” Jong Kook said as the nurse walked back inside the room to check on Ji Hyo.

 

“I’ll take that,” Chung Su snatched the cup from Jong Kook’s grip before he could excuse himself.

 

“Abuji, gwenchana. You just got here—”

 

“Here,” Hye Seon handed him a tennis ball, “Roll this on her lower back. It will help her with the contractions.”

 

Jong Kook examined at the ball in his hand then faced his mother, “How about you, Omma? Do you want to come with me?”

 

“Ani. I’ll stay with your father for a bit and get Ji Hyo’s ice chips. Jong Myung will be joining us. Just stay with Ji Hyo and we’ll take care of ourselves,” Hye Seon gave him a reassuring smile.

 

“Thank you, Abuji, Omma,” he kissed her cheek and rushed to Ji Hyo’s room.

 

Hye Seon smiled softly as his youngest son hurried off to his wife’s room. As soon as Jong Kook’s out of their sight, she nudged her husband once again, “Well, would you look at that— he doesn’t seem like he’s got it all together, does he?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter