leap

One of the Boys
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Trust your heart if the seas
catch fire, live by love
though the stars
walk backward.”
—E.E. s

                         

THERE is something about the comfort of the known that when one is faced with staying in the known or going in the unknown—a great leap of faith is needed. Those who stay may be happy and content. Those who take that leap could face challenges, but the reward could be that much more rewarding than had they stayed. Risk is never a bad thing. We risk our lives in the sake of others—because the outcome could always be greater than regretting never having tried.

 

 

 

“There are a lot more people this year trying out. Look at Sehun's stressed face.”

I was currently tying up my shoelaces. Once Hyungsik found out I was going to try out for the girls’ basketball team he took me out and bought me basketball shoes. He was too excited for me, and I was glad to spend a day with him alone. Of course, he asked me if I liked anyone, and I did not know how to reply. I didn’t know the difference between just liking someone as a friend and liking them as more than a friend. He could only sigh in relief mentioning how he had yet had to worry about his one and only sister's heart being broken.

I smiled. Sehun did look stressed and greeted me the moment I walked into the gym. I could hear the squeaks on the court as those around me were warming up. Girl’s try outs wouldn’t be until later, but I was there to support not only Jungkook—but Jaehyun and Zelo as well.

“Isn’t it bad to play in new shoes without breaking them in? You’re going to get blisters.” Doyoung was watching me from his spot on the bleachers. Taeyong was beside him looking ahead.

“They’re broken in.”

Taeyong turned at my words. “How? Didn’t Hyungsik buy them two days ago? I didn’t see you wearing them.”

A playful smirk made it on my lips but before I could answer I heard a yell of my name as the gym doors opened. It was Jimin who had the ’94-line friends behind him.

“Park Joy you better make the team, or my hard work and blisters will not be worth it.” He was limping—only slightly.

“Ahhh, Jimin was bullied once again into doing you a favor I see? Who was it? Hyungsik? Chanyeol? Jinyoung?” Doyoung was listing off the names of my brothers.

I shook my head and Taeyong gasped, covering his mouth. “No way! Jisung?”

“Technically both Jinyoung and Jimin took turns in breaking in my shoes. Jisung said they deserved it for always pranking me. I love him.”

“You’re corrupting my little angel, Joy.”

I rolled my eyes at Taeyong as Doyoung tried to hold in his laughter. I hadn’t told Jisung to do it. I was surprised as well and the only reason Jinyoung and Jimin listened was because he threatened to tell Hyungsik about the one time they went to a party—which they did not allow me to go—and both came back drunk. Jisung was more and more mischievous than we anticipated him to be. The quiet ones. I swear someone said something about always looking out for the quiet ones.

Taeyong was my friend for a long time. We usually always ended up paired up in class projects. It resulted in him coming over to my house on most days. He practically watched Jisung grow up right in front of him. I sometimes think Taeyong is a better older brother than our own brothers—and I’m sure he likes Jisung more than he likes me. I’m just a means for him to meet him. Taeyong was like his unofficial guardian, and I liked him for that.

“Are you still going to take him to Seoul for that dance competition?” I casually asked Taeyong once I situated myself between my two friends.

“Yeah. It’s tomorrow and I’m taking Chenle as well. I think Kai will be the one driving. We’re meeting Taemin up there.” Taeyong watched Jaehyun make a basket and clapped—throwing thumbs up like a proud mom watching her son play.

“I know. He never stops talking about his idol, Taemin.”

“Why isn’t Jimin going?” Doyoung asked and I turned to watch Jimin run out into the hall, flagging someone down.

“Well, he has his own competition to prepare. Don’t you Taeyong?” I kept watching to see when Jimin would come back in.

“Yep. J-Hope, Seulgi, and Jimin are staying behind to perfect the routine. Also, we didn’t have an extra car and a spot was taken by Jennie anyway.”

Both Doyoung and I nodded. My eyes wandered to the approaching figures that were Namjoon and Wendy. J-Hope, Seulgi, Jaebum, and Jinyoung stayed put as Krystal surprisingly joined them. I guess it was a dance club meeting with Jinyoung thrown in the mix.

“Hey Joy.”

I turned my head to smile at Namjoon who sat behind me. Wendy sat next to him and lowered her gaze to look forward at all the boys trying out. Doyoung nudged my side as Taeyong once again clapped when Jaehyun made a shot; for Zelo as well. Doyoung had this theory that Kim Namjoon—vice president of the student council—had feelings for me. I didn’t see what he meant. I never did and I would always call out his bluff. But without a doubt if Doyoung was around and Namjoon approached, he would tease me.

“Sehun looks like he’s constipated. I'm sure the only person he has hope in is Jungkook. He keeps looking at him like a hawk. Oh, speak of the devil.” Wendy was mumbling behind all of us.

Jungkook was running towards us. I was fixing my hair when he stopped in front of me. It took a pause for me to remember he had asked me to watch his things. I blindly searched for it—hitting Namjoon's foot instead. I bowed a sorry and handed Jungkook his bag. He took out a towel, drying his sweat. I chorus of cheers was heard. No fangirls were allowed but many had gathered to watch from the windows. I scrunched my nose at him. His long hair was wet from his sweat and I honestly did not understand how he could tolerate it. I didn’t tolerate mine—that was why it was always up.

“Can you even, see?” I asked him.

“Duh, Joy. Can’t you see this sweat band? It protects my eyes from my sweat and allows my glorious hair from being sweaty and remain—well glorious.”

I rolled my eyes while Wendy made a gagging sound. Snorts were heard from beside me—Doyoung and Taeyong were laughing at his expense.

“Be happy the director accepted the petition of keeping your hair long. There were over five hundred signatures. If not, I would be buzzing it off right now.” Namjoon pointed two fingers at Jungkook, lowering his gaze.

“You wouldn’t cut my hair Joonie, you also agree that it’s a national treasure.”

“Calling it a national treasure is a little excessive, don’t you think?”

A whistle was blown—making all of us face forward and Jungkook to twirl on his heel. “Jeon get over here. We’re starting the tryouts.”

We all wished him luck and I gestured to both Jaehyun and Zelo as well.

“Bet Zelo makes it cuz of his height.” Doyoung whispered into my ear.

I hummed. Suddenly feeling all the nerves inside of me. I stood up, making up an excuse to go get some fresh air and would be back in a bit. Jimin still had not come back in. On my way out Jinyoung spotted me and ran after me as I reached the gym doors. I didn’t want to talk but he knew me better than I knew myself. He smiled—took my arm and dragged me to the vending machine and bought my favorite drink before we sat at the bottom of the stairs.

“You’re nervous.”

I nodded. “I’ve never tried out for anything in my life. What if I don’t make the team?”

“Then you don’t make the team.” I cocked my head to the side at his words. “We tend to fear failure too much in this life. It’s like we forget that we learn from failure and from those failures come our greatest success. I mean look at you. You’re prime example of four failures before a success from mom and dad.”

A beat passed as I watched Jinyoung's smile slowly turn into a laughter that I joined him in. He would prank me from time to time, but my deepest conversations were always

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter