đen đá không đường

distant dreams

decided this pairing because why not. inspired by amee's song (link) because it's so MF-ING CUTE. anywayz enjoy hehe - (cs)

đen đá không đường
t/n: black iced coffee, no sugar

doyeon glances over at the menu, indecisive of what to order. 

she's never been the type to drink coffee; it's always been too bitter and she doesn't need the caffeine. the orange juice here is pretty good, but she lately, she hates how they've been keeping so much of the pulp in the cup. as the cashier gives her a slightly irritated look, doyeon sighs and almost settles on the new citronade when the door jingles, indicating a new customer has stepped in.

she turns her head unconsciously, a reflex from when she used to work at the paper store down the street. her eyes widen slightly as she makes eye contact with the newcomer, and she quickly swivels her head back to the cashier, almost snapping her neck at how fast she turned it. 

she can feel her cheeks already turning red. her heart was slowly starting to race. how long ago has it been since she last seen him?

"hey," hansol greets from behind her, "i didn't know you liked coming here, too."

doyeon breathes slightly to calm her racing heart before she replies, "i've only just recently started coming here. i didn't know you drank coffee though."

"oh, i don't," hansol laughs, and doyeon thinks she's hearing angels sing. 

the first time she saw hansol was in the vending machine in their school. she was waiting behind him when his drink wouldn't come out of it, and she had to lend him a dollar to get another one. he had the shyest smile that made her heart swoon, and she swore that she could feel hearts growing in her eyes as she thought about him during fourth period.

the time after that was a couple weeks ago, when she was forced to sit in front of him at the library because there were no other open spots. he moved his stuff over for her and kept up some small talk with her whenever she got a little too bored of her history notes. as they were studying, she would steal glances and catch him deep in thought; his brown eyes glazed over in confusion and his fingers brushing through his hair, leaving it slightly disheveled (it only left him looking cuter in her eyes).

the most recent time was exactly five days ago, when she was at the arcade and he was there to help her get the new high score on the new sailor v game. he was there with some of his friends (joshua and wonwoo from her homeroom class) when he noticed her having a little trouble beating the final boss. she argued that she could do it herself but he smoothly took the controls from her hand and helped her navigate the character as she focused solely on pressing the attack buttons. the satisfaction of winning drowned out the sound of her rapid heartbeats when hansol put 'hanyeon' in as the name for the hi-score ("it's only fair," he states as he quickly presses the enter button, not even giving doyeon the chance to change it).

she just doesn't know why hansol keeps popping up in her life. once is a mistake, twice is a coincidence, and three times is a pattern. is this fate, or is the world just small?

"can i have a black milk tea with boba please?" hansol orders at the counter, snapping doyeon out of her thoughts. he gestures for her to order, too.

in a slight daze, doyeon says, "i'll have a black iced coffee, no sugar."

hansol pays for both of their drinks (“take this as repayment from giving me money for the vending machine”, he says casually as he hands his card to the cashier) and as they sit down at a table near the window, hansol comments, "i didn't know you liked coffee like that."

"i actually don’t usually drink coffee, but i thought i'd change it up today," doyeon replies, leaning onto her elbows.

as they talk about common things like school work and the weather, she takes small sips of her coffee through the straw. usually, she'd think that this coffee would be too bitter for her tastes, but surprisingly, there are notes in the coffee she's never tasted before. hints of chocolate and citrus dance on her tongue as she listens to mingyu talk about the copous amounts of school work he has these days.

their conversation ends and he greets her a goodbye. she's left at the table by herself, and she takes another sip of her coffee. 

she grimaces.

the bitterness is back, and it's almost unbearable. she pushes the cup away from her and she leans on her hands as she looks out the window. the sky is slowly turning grey, as if hansol got up and took the sun away with him.

doyeon wonders what could have been different about her coffee. could it have been the ice? does it taste better freshly made?

no, doyeon thinks, it's not

the coffee tasted sweet because hansol was the sugar that took the bitterness away, and now that he's gone, it's back. 

doyeon sighs and gets up from the table. she tosses her half-full cup of coffee into the trash, and she makes her way out of the cafe. as tiny droplets of water fall onto her as she sprints home, she realizes that she should've brought her umbrella.

--

a few days later, she finds a can of black iced coffee on her desk, along with a note that said, "now you owe me a drink :)".

doyeon smiles to herself as she pops open the can and takes a sip. the bitter taste flows onto her tongue, yet she's not bothered by it. she feels her heart soaring, and she's not sure if it's from the caffeine, or if it's correlated with her newly flushed cheeks and unconsciously growing smile. 

after class, doyeon rushes to the vending machine to get another drink, when she feels someone tugging her arm, guiding her to a halt. she turns her body towards the movement and comes face to face with the boy she's been wanting to see all day.

"you seem jittery. did you drink the coffee i left you?" hansol teases her and she feels the pink coming back onto her face.

she responds, "i did drink the coffee, but i'm not jittery. i'm always full of energy."

"right," hansol chuckles, before he proceeds to tilt his head towards the entrance to the roof, "anyways, follow me. i want to give you something."

hansol's hand moves from her forearm to her wrist as he leads her up the staircase and through the door. as doyeon takes her first step onto the roof, sunshine hits her skin and warms her body, blanketing her in a warmth that rivals freshly dried clothes and hot chocolate.

"what did you want to give me?" doyeon asks curiously.

she has always loved gifts.

hansol laughs before he tells her to close her eyes, even going the extra mile to gently push down her eyelids for her. she puts her hand out expectantly, however, nothing gets placed in her palm. 

instead, she feels a pair of plush lips press against her own as an arm snakes around her waist. her hands rest on hansol's chest as his free hand settles itself into the small of her back as he deepens the kiss, bringing her body closer to his. the original cautious and gentle kiss turns into a passionate one, hansol ending it with a quick swipe of his tongue against her lower lip before he pulls his face away from hers. he gives her his signature shy smile and doyeon feels as if she's reached cloud nine as she sinks her fingers into the front of his shirt, grasping onto the material to make sure she'll never let him go. 

as he realizes what he did and apologizes for the sudden (unconsented) kiss, doyeon only has one thought running through her mind: 

sugar tastes so sweet in the form of chwe hansol.