Welcome to Gurim

Village Clinic
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taking an old bus with 2 luggages wasn't easy. Luckily at this time the bus wasn't crowded, and he got a seat right at the back, so he got space for his luggages. 

Dr Cho Kyuhyun was heading to Gurim, a tiny hanok village located just outside the Wolchulsan National Park, south of the Korean peninsula. Though it is a small village, it is rather historic, as it is known for its ancient pottery and its replicas of antique works.

He still remembered how his mother reacted when he told her that he would be away for a while to serve as a doctor at a faraway village. She was surprised and had discouraged him, but he told her that he just want to give it a try, and he would come back if village life did not suit him. 

He had seen the advertisement in their Seoul hospital staff e-newsletter, and told himself "Why not?" and applied for it. And here he was!

The house that he has decided to rent was quite descent but with beautiful hanok style, from the pictures at least, and he had requested the owner to get him a bicycle. He had wired over the money for 2 months deposit, and for the payment of the bicycle as well.

After alighting from the bus, he managed to find his way to his rented house, after asking a few villages. They were friendly and one old ahjushi even walked with him until the small junction near to his rented house. He found the key in a box next to the door which was locked by a lock with 3-digit number, which the owner has informed him.

"Hmm, not bad, it is better than what I expect!" Kyuhyun said as he opened the door and stepped in. The house has 2 bedrooms, 1 living room adjoining the dining area, small kitchen, and a service yard. There was a washing machine but no dryer. "Aishhh, means I have to hang my own laundry" Kyuhyun said to himself. But what did he expect? It was already good enough to have electricity and a washing machine.

Kyuhyun unpacked and boil water, after washing the kettle. He ate the packed food that he bought when the earlier express bus that he took, made a rest-stop along the highway.

He would start work tomorrow, so today, he intended to cycle around the village to familiarise himself and to check out where the clinic was.  He sent a message to his mother to tell her that he had safely reached Gurim, but the network was unstable so the message was stuck. He shrugged and sigh, maybe along the way the message will get sent. 

Kyuhyun took out the bicycle from the small garage at the back. He checked the light, brakes and tyres, and once he was satisfied, he locked the front door and set off.

There were 3 more hanok houses next to his, and as he cycled more, he saw a school, a provision shop with a small eating place, bus stops, a church, a temple and rice fields. It's a beautiful hanok village and the villagers seemed to be very friendly. Though they didn't know him, they still waved at him. He smile, gave a bowed gesture, and waved back. 

His phone vibrated "Ohhh means the network here is much better..." Kyuhyun held the bicycle with one hand and tried to fish his handphone with his other hand, to check whether his message has been sent. His phone was stuck so he turned his head to see what was wrong with his back pocket. 

Suddenly he lost control of his bicycle and it went to the left side of the road and hit a pedestrian!! 

"Heyyyy watch where you are going!!" a lady practically shouted at him. She had fallen down due to collision, and she was holding her leg. 

"Oh my God!! I'm so sorry miss!!  I was taking out my phone when I lost control of my bicycle. Are you hurt? Let me see your leg..." Kyuhyun quickly put his bicycle on it's stand-pedal, and bend down to check her leg. 

The lady moved her leg away "It's okay, I can wash it and put medicine myself" 

"Don't worry, I'm a doctor. Let me see your injury" Kyuhyun informed her. 

"You are a doctor?" she asked with surprised. 

Kyuhyun nodded "I'm sorry for my manners. I'm Doctor Cho Kyuhyun, from Seoul Hospital, I'm starting....." 

Ryeowook closed "You are Dr Cho??!!" 

Kyuhyun nodded and gave her a confused expression because she seemed surprised. 

"I'm sorry Dr Cho. I'm Kim Ryeowook, the nurse at the clinic. I got to know that you will be coming tomorrow..." 

"Yes, I will start working at the clinic tomorrow and I just arrived today. Ohhh so you are Miss Kim! Annyeong! I'm really sorry that I hit you" and he turned his attention to her leg again. It was bleeding fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter