Merry Christmas

Emily

It was a quiet weekend. Eun Ae had gone out with her fiends, Mr Shin had a business meeting and Mrs Shin had gone out shopping. Emily and Hana where sitting in their bed room. By now Hana had learned her lesson, she knew Emily didn't like noise so she was playing quietly in the corner with her dolls.

Feeling thirsty Emily gets up to get herself a glass of water, as she walks past Soohyun's room she hears someone softly singing.

Because of you,
And it’s all because of you,
Never get enough
She’s the sweetest drug, she’s the sweetest drug

Soohyun notices Emily in the doorway. She was stood there with her eyes wide open and her jaw almost touching the floor. She didn't know he could sing. Yet her he was sitting at his piano with the most angelic like voice she had every heard.

"Oh Hi Emily. You might want to close you mouth before flies make babies in there." He smiles at her motioning her to come sit next to him on the piano stool."Come here Oppa will sing for you."


"Ah Emily. Just the girl I wanted to see." Mrs Chang her teacher pulls her aside. Emily had been walking with Bae to meet Hana on the playground. Emily was almost starting to play again. Not like the other children but still she would watch them and occasionally smile when Hana and Bae argued about silly pointless things like best friends often do. "I wont keep her for long Bae, you can run along." 

They both walk into the empty class room and take a seat. "Emily, I've noticed that you have been doing exceptionally well in class. I would like you to take an overall education test so we can determine what level you are working at. I got these work sheets from the elementary division that you can work on for the time being. I will arrange a meeting soon with your guardians. "

Suddenly, Bae comes running through the door panting. "Mrs Chang, Hana fainted." They all run out of the classroom out onto the play ground where sure enough, Emily was passed out, laying on the grass. Mrs Chang put the back of her hand up against Hana's feverish forehead, causing Hana to stir and wake up. She carries her into the class room and phones for Mrs Shin to come collect her.

Once they left Emily could no longer concentrate. When Mrs Chang had first told her about the more advanced work sheets she couldn't wait to do them, but now here they sat with not a squiggle on them, completely untouched. Considering her afternoon of worrying the day moved rather quickly and before she knew it Soohyun had come to pick her up. 

"Do you mind if we droop into the music shop on the way back? Theres something I need to get." Soohyun asks, which Emily then replies with a shake of the head. They walk hand in hand to the music store, when they get there Soohyun heads straight towards the sheet music. Emily was waiting patiently but suddenly something catches her eye. 

***Flashback***

"Daddy Daddy Guess what." Emily runs through the door, with a jumble of paper in her hands, and jumps into her fathers arms. 

"You got abducted by aliens?" 

"No silly. Look." She holds up the papers which appeared to be a test, with a huge red 'A' scrawled roughly on the top. 

"You have tests in Nursery?" He says confused taking the papers out of her hands for a better look.

"Nope. The teacher said she was curious. She wanted to see if I could do it. It's a year 1 test "

"You scored an A in a test meant for kids two years older than you? Keep this up kiddo and you'll be graduating in a couple years."

"Will you sing to me now?"

"Fine." He picks up his guitar and starts to sing.

Hush little baby don't say a work

Papa's gunna buy you a mocking bird.

Although, he was completely tone death, Emily loved to listen to him sing and play the guitar. It wasn't often that she did. Her Father was very self conscious about his singing, so only on special occasions or when Emily done something amazing would he sing for her. 

"I'll teach you how to play the guitar one day Emily." Emily nodded smiling  watching her Fathers fingers move swiftly against the strings.

***End of Flashback***

"Daddy." Emily whispers as her fingers run down the smoothness of the guitar. The guitar was identical to her father's. Soohyun noticed Emily's disappearance, he scanned the room and spotted her touching the guitar with tears in her eyes.

"Emily? Whats wrong?" He scoops her up in his arms and she snuggles into his chest. 

"Daddies guitar." She mumbles snuggling in deeper sandwiching her bear tighter between them. Tied from all the crying she falls asleep in Soohyun's arms as he walks them both home. As soon as he get home he lays her down in her bed , then goes to tell his parents about what just happened.  


It's Christmas eve, everyone was helping to transform the house with Christmas spirit. Emily and Hana hung up the decorations they had made in Kindergarten. They had recently had their last day of Kindergarten. By the end of the new year both of them would be starting the elementary department. Hana should have moved up last year but as she had been a poorly child with many absences they had decided to keep her back. Hana was happy that she would be in the same year as Emily. Before Emily arrived the thought of going to big school scared her, but now she had Emily she couldn't wait. 

Everyone noticed that Emily looked a little glum , but they expected it. This is her first Christmas since her parents passed away.

"Lets open the presents." Mr Shin suggested hoping it would cheer her up. They all went to the dinning room where the presents where all placed on the table. Before following through Emily runs up to her room to collect a pile of coloured envelopes.

"Whats that?" Asks Hana spotting the paper in Emily's hands. Emily passes out one envelope to each member of the family. They all open their present to find a hand drawn card each with it's own personal message. Eun Ae begins to read hers aloud but Emily puts her finger to her lips motioning them not to read it aloud.

"Thank you Emily." Mrs Shin says with tears in her eyes from reading the message. "You can open your present first." She pushes a large parcel towards Emily and she begins to tear off the paper."

"Oh, but I wanted to go first." Complains Hana. Emily suddenly stops Unwrapping her present so that Hana could be first. 

"You are such a pain."Mr Shin sighs. When Hana open he present she finds a cute doll, that she had admired through the window last time she had went shopping with her mother.

"Waa! I love it." She screams jumping up and down with her new doll.

"We're glad." Mr Shin chuckles at his slightly insane daughter. "Now it's Emily's turn." Emily continues unwrapping her passel. When she sees whats inside her heart skips a beat.  Tears build up in her eyes and before she knew it she couldn't stop crying.

"Daddy's guitar." She whispers. "Thank you." She says looking up at the kind hearted people around her.