HongKI

Emily

 

They walked to the main building where the dinning room was. Food had already been dished up so Emily and HongKi took a seat next to each other on the only empty seats next to Mrs lee.

I see you two have meet.” Mrs Lee smiled placing some fish on both of their bowls of rice. “I'm sorry that you have to shave a room with HongKi, but the rules state there is not to be more than two per room, nor multi gendered room for students over eighteen.”

It's Okay Mrs Lee. I understand.”

En con close on yo aw sto ok eeth mee.” Hongki had stuffed as much rice in his mouth as he possibly could making it very hard to understand what he was saying 'In conclusion you are stuck with me.'

Just as they had finished their food a bell rang to signal they had to go to their lessons. Mrs Lee walked with HongKi and Emily to their class. Once they got there HongKi rushed in to claim his seat whilst Emily stood up front with Mrs Lee and her new teacher. Mrs Lee waited for the students to settle down before she spoke.

Good afternoon children.”

Good afternoon Mrs Lee, Good afternoon Mr Heong!” The whole class rose to say before sitting back down.

This is Shin Emily. She will be starting your class today. She is the youngest member of the University department so I expect you all to care for her. Does anyone have any questions for her?”

Do you speak Korean?” An older girl asked in perfect English. Causing Emily to laugh a bit at the silly question, If she didn't speak Korean then she wouldn't be at that school.

Ney, I've lived in Korea since I was five.”

Ah okay. How old are you now?” The same girl asked again this time in Korean.

I'm eleven Korean age, but nationally I was ten February.”

Why did you move to Korea?” This time it was a boy who looked about sixteen who asked.

I was adopted?” Her answer made everyone one in the room have a change of expression. The people wanting to ask questions put their hands down leaving everyone in an awkward silence.

We'll Emily I'm Mr Heong. Welcome to my class. You can sit with HongKi” Mr Heong said after a couple minuets to brake the tension. Emily bowed politely to him then went to take her place next to him. Relieved that the tension had been lifted Mrs Lee found it safe to escape the room.

Emily found a piece of paper on her desk with a list of subject on it. HongKi noticed she was confused so he bent over to explain.

It's a subject list. You pick what degrees you wish to do. You have to do two if you're a first year like us. Then each year until you are Twenty you have to pick one more.”

But there is so many.” She pouts at the list struggling to find any she didn't want to learn.

It's easy. For example, you're fluent in English so Obviously you can cross that one off.” He passed her a pink pencil, with a bunny eraser on the end, from out of his pencil case. She took it of him and crossed off 'English'. “See easy just got about sixty three more to go.”

Emily held the sheet in front of her she sighed and got to work, crossing off subjects that she wasn't quite so interested in. They had study hour after lunch so Emily was aloud to spend that time to concentrate on the list. When it was over Emily had picked her subjects.

What subjects did you pick Emily?” Mr Heong lent over the desk and looked at her sheet.

Management studies and Mathematics.”

Are you sure?”

Not at all, but I have until I'm twenty right? It's only for the next couple of years.” He nodded in agreement. He writes something on a card and hands it to her.

You'll need to go to the library to collect the books you'll need. HongKi you may be excused to her.”

HongKi led her out of the Department and down a path which had vines and flower winding their way up and over the path. The path led to yet another garden, just as beautiful as the others Emily had seen.

Come on it's this way.” He grabbed her hand and they turned down a little ally way. When they came out they stood in front of a beautiful, massive library.

This school is very big considering there are only one hundred twenty students.”

Thats because the entrance exam is very difficult, you have to score at least three grades higher. Regarding the size... well I have no idea why.” They go in side and walk up to the librarian who was sitting at her desk.

Oh hello, HonKi My dear.” She was an elderly woman with white hair and a big smile. “Is this our new student?”

Hello. I'm Emily.” She bowed at the lady who just giggled.

Oh no no Sweety. No Formalities here. We're all friends, aren't we HongKi?”

Yeps.”

So what can I do for the two of you?”

Mr Heong sent her to get her books.” HongKi took the card of Emily and handed it to the Liberian.

Ah Management and Mathematics. Good pick.” She gets up and walks to the isles of books. She came back with a couple she placed on the desk but then turned around to go back again. After doing this a few times the desk had three large piles of books. “Looks like you're going to have to make a few trips. You seem to have picked subjects that requires lots of books.” She giggled putting a smaller pile of books on their out stretched arms. 


 

 

That night Emily lay in her bed cuddling soohyun Oppa bear unable to sleep. She had enjoyed her day. The feeling of having to work to find the answers was something she had not really experienced before.

Emily are you asleep?” HongKi whispered looking at her still body.

No.” She whispered back.

Can't you sleep?”

No.”

Do you miss home?”

Yes.”

It'll get better. I've always lived here so I never got homesick, but lot's of other people here have. They say it gets better.”

I know it will. It's not my first time.”

Where you really adopted?”

Yes.”

Can you tell me about it?”

Emily didn't reply, HongKi assumed she had fallen asleep but after a couple of minuets she decided to tell him.

On my fifth birthday my parents and I got into a car accident. I went into a coma for two months.”

A coma? OMO! What was it like?”

Like all I could do was lay there with no control of my body, listening to people talk about my parents death without thinking I could hear them.” She sniffed and tears started to form in her eyes. Emily felt the mattress sink slightly as HongKi crawled into her bed to give her a cuddle. “I was put in an orphanage. I suppose I was quite stubborn. I wouldn't talk to anyone for about a year. The Shins came to the orphanage and next thing I knew I was on an airplane coming to Korea and I had a noisy noona who didn't understand personal space.” She giggled a bit from the memory despite her tears. “An older noona who couldn't keep a secret and couldn't tell a lie to save he life. And ...and a Oppa who looked after me and would do anything to make me happy.”