tomorrow morning

of alcohols and late night drinks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everything seems to be in place tonight, fooling everyone into thinking that the world is pure and perfect, the unmistakable truth hiding behind the curtain of facade as the darkness and pain happen in the back, away from everyone's eyes to see.

Alertness and an open mind are things people need to have nowadays.

Now if the evening would be put into a word, the word would be simple. It's a simple Friday night, the time nearing past 11, the city about to die down and slumber, the lights coming off one at a tome as everything and everyone begins to settle down.

Just like last night.

And the night before that.

It's a record of repeats.

It’s all the same thing for people, a never-ending cycle of waking up, eating, going to work, going home, eating and sleeping. No one gets out of this cycle, no matter what you do.

And one of these people, is Yeji.

"Oh what a cruel world we live in."

Sitting at the counter in the middle of her kitchen, back facing her sink as she sips her pomegranate juice, Yeji waits for her phone to ring.

Just like last night.

A bitter smile grows on her face.

"Just exactly the same like yesterday night." The words leave her as she raises the glass and takes a sip.

Any minute now.

As the big hand clock struck twelve, Yeji's phone rings.

She lets it ring two times before she answers.

Just like last night.

"Hello?" She closes her eyes when she hears how ready her voice was, how it was so obvious that she'd been waiting for the call to happen, for her phone to ring. She scolds herself.

She hated how it seemed like it was usual.

It shouldn't be.

Because if it was, then it means that she's getting used to it.

She can't. She can't get used to it.

Because that would change everything in front of her and she can't have that.

"Yeji?" The same voice she hears when it turns 12 every night echoes in her ears and it never ceases to bring her peace. "It's Ryujin."

Because the call means that she's there.

And it brings her relief to at least know that she's alright.

"Oh, hi." Yeji breathes through her nose, the feeling of dejavu flowing through her veins again. She rubs her thumb on the glass she's still holding with her other hand, feelings starting to rumble in the pit of her stomach, just like every night that passed her for 3 years. "She's in there again, isn't she?"

"Yeah, she's here." The confirmation never stops giving Yeji the relief she always tries to find when the clock struck 8 and Chaeryeong hasn't come home yet.

But nonetheless, she sighs, with reasons that is far from the relief that she had gotten after Ryujin confirmed that her girlfriend was with her.

Yeji...noticed her tone.

Yeji wanted to tell her to change her tone, that she shouldn't sound like that at all, like...like she's only doing this - telling Yeji about Chaeryeong - like it's something she had realized that she would always do, but she can't. She can't order someone around like that, it wouldn't be....her.

But again, Yeji doesn't actually know who she is anymore these past few years.

She's lost in a lot of ways.

Besides, Yeji...isn't that close with the bar owner.

Ryujin and Yeji, they're friends, but not that close.

Chaeryeong had always been the bridge between their sides. If it weren't for Chaeryeong, Yeji would have never met Ryujin.

Another thing to be thankful for.

"Okay, I'll be there in a few minutes." Yeji stands up and brings the empty cup to the sink. She leans her back on the sink and stares at the wall opposite from her. "Sorry for the bother, Ryu."

She hears the barista release a throaty chuckle from the line. She hears the swish of air and she assumes that the barista's putting her phone to her other hand. "It's nothing, Yeji. She's my best friend." Ryujin stares at her already drunk best friend, a small smile growing on her face. “I’ll do anything for her."

Yeji nods at this and is about to move from her place when she suddenly stops.

"But."

Stiffness enters the area and Yeji keeps the phone pressed against her ear, her eyes staring right at her and her girlfriend's picture framed and hung on the wall, the blinking circular clock above it.

"As your friend too," Ryujin prolonged her words as if she did, it would ingrain itself in Yeji's mind. She knows a bit about what's happening between her best friend and her best friend's girlfriend, and she thinks that the older of the two, doesn't deserve to go through whatever it is that Chaeryeong's been putting her through. "I think it would be best if you leave her."

Everything, is so easy to say.

Yeji feels appreciated that someone as kind as Ryujin cares enough about her.

But as much as Ryujin's holding a truth in her hand, this isn't something that she could recklessly go.

Chaeryeong, is something she can't easily let go.

"Bye Ryu." Yeji ends the call and keeps the phone in her hand, and for a while, Yeji just stares at her dead phone.

She wonders if that would be the future of her relationship soon.

The bar was getting less crowded if the people pouring out of the door was to go by,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter