Her one request

Faithfully yours, your highness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: happiest bday to one of the kindest, sweetest, most amazing ppl there is. One of my most ultimate biases. The one and only Kang Seulgi herself. This will probably be the very last bday fic I do, as they get more and more difficult to write and not be boring after a while, so if I find myself able to write and find inspiration maybe I will. But officially this will be the last bday one I will do, and it’s fitting I do this for Seulgi as I started for her, so happiest bday Seulgi, may she have the best birthday surrounded by all who love her, as she is so very loved. 


 



 

The grand hall was lively as lords and ladies alike were in full conversations with one another, that is until one very special lady walked in and all was silent. The princess sighed to herself as she knew they stopped talking the moment she walked in. Of course they did, out of respect no doubt.

 

“Your highness,” one of them bowed dramatically, it was no wonder they didn’t fall down to the ground. “It’s lovely to see you.”

 

“Likewise.”

 

“You’re looking lovely as always, your highness.”
 

“Thank you.”

 

Compliment after compliment is sent her way, and she must stand there politely smiling. All she wants to do is be anywhere else, and fortunately she sees her opportunity to go when she spots the Knight-commander (who also happens to be her own personal bodyguard) making the rounds patrolling the halls.

 

“Irene!” She waved excitedly, albeit not very lady-like of her. Though, who cares about lady-like when the person she is most excited about is within sight.

 

Knight Commander Bae Irene turns abruptly, unsheathing her sword by force of habit. The woman nervously sighs, realizing it was just her princess calling to her. A smile adorns her face and she waits for the younger woman to catch up to her. Princess Seulgi is a lovely woman, truly. Gorgeous tanned skin, bright and warm monolid eyes, that look like liquid honey, and this kind of feline-like appearance that if Irene were being honest has haunted a dream or two. Of course, she would never be so bold to approach her princess in a manner she shouldn’t.

 

“Your highness.” Irene bows ever so slightly. “What can I do for you?”

 

Seulgi frowns, though she understands why Irene would address her as such in public. The brunette takes a hold of the raven’s dress coat, further surprises the knight. Again, not something they should do in public. But who cares, Seulgi is the princess here and who is going to really question the princess. 

 

No one, naturally.

 

“Are you busy, Irene? Would you like to join me in the library?”

 

Technically, Irene is busy. She is to patrol the halls this afternoon. Not the most glamorous of work. However, orders are orders. And a loyal knight such as Irene would not ever shirk her responsibilities. Not even for a lovely, gorgeous, and sweet princess who is looking at her with such a hopeful look in her eyes. In all honesty, it is very hard for Irene to say no to her princess. Being a few years older aside, it is hard to say no to Seulgi.

 

“Your highness, as much as I would enjoy…”

 

“Then join me.” Seulgi smiles, that gorgeous smile of hers, eyes forming crescent shapes. A smile that has the knight’s heart pounding wildly in her chest. Irene can’t even say anything further, because Seulgi is carefully taking a hold of her hand. Irene curses her pale cheeks in this moment. Simply as the knight knows her face must be scarlet at this point. If her princess notices. Seulgi does not mention it, and it brings the knight much relief. Truthfully, Irene would rather spend time with Seulgi anyway, and the same is very much true for the young princess. To be honest, Seulgi wasn’t sure if she could convince the Knight-Commander to come with her. Though a part of the princess knew that she could get Irene to do anything she wished.

 

Whether it was going horseback riding at dawn because it was one way they could spend time together. Or going into town for her on the days her father did not allow her to go out. Mostly to buy trinkets of various nature, and because the King was a loving father. He was also on the overprotective side, and that made it difficult for the princess to go out when she wished. Leaving one devoted Knight to run said errands. That’s not to say Seulgi wouldn’t do things for Irene too, oftentimes without asking.

 

Like getting the older woman’s favorite treats and fruits that could only be found in the neighboring kingdom. Seulgi was, after all, sweet in that way. Doing things without being asked, and Irene is sure that quality is one of the things that drew her to the Princess.

 

“She hasn’t let go of my hand.” Irene noticed. Her shirt collar suddenly tighter around her neck. Was she getting nervous? Not her, brave and fearless Knight-Commander who left her family farm at the age of fourteen to train amongst other renowned heroes. The youngest person elevated to the position of Knight-Commander in decades, not Bae Irene.

 

“Irene, your palms…” Seulgi frowns in concern. “You’re sweating, are you unwell?”

 

Hell, she was nervous. All Irene could do was assure Seulgi several times that she wasn’t nervous, and that the dress uniform was hot, which honestly wasn’t even a lie. Sometimes the uniform with all its layers seemed extra warm, great for when you’re outside, not so much patrolling the halls in the day time. Seulgi gives another concerned look, but doesn’t say anything further. Not until they reach the library, the royal family’s personal library. Most people will not even step foot in here unless with permission. 

 

“Sit, let me bring you some water.”

 

“Oh, but that’s not necessary, your highness.”

 

Seulgi smiles. “We’re alone, you can call me Seulgi.”

 

“Oh, I….” Irene momentarily loses her train of thought. That is true whenever they are alone. The princess will insist on being called by her name. Irene must admit she does enjoy the moments where they are simply two people, spending time together. Where she is just Irene and the princess is simply Seulgi.

 

“I’m sorry, Seulgi.”

 

The monolid woman smiles. “There that’s better, right? Feels good to get rid of the titles for a bit, yes. I’ll be back.”

 

Irene enjoys the library. She can fortunately come here without permission should she want, and while the Knight likes to think that’s all because she is the commander, and the King does indeed trust her. Irene knows it probably has more to do with the fact that Seulgi had asked. Seulgi knows she likes the quiet and being able to read by the fireplace uninterrupted. The younger woman is always thoughtful.

 

Speaking of which…

 

Seulgi returns in no time with a pitcher of water and fresh slices of lemon on the side. There is always a servant around at a moment's notice for anything the royal family requests. 

 

“Thank you for coming with me. I feel as if I haven’t spent proper time with you in a while.” Seulgi admits and pours them both a glass of water. The princess sits down across from the Knight, taking a moment to admire the woman in front of her. Irene herself is a gorgeous woman with dark locks, big brown eyes, and these full pink lips. Had Seulgi not seen the woman in combat. She would have easily mistaken her for a princess or royalty herself. 

 

“The princess-knight.” Is even a nickname that the court has thrown around for Irene, on account of her beauty. Seulgi knows the Knight doesn’t necessarily appreciate that nickname though, and though she will not deny what’s right in front of her. Seulgi thinks Irene is easily the most beautiful woman she has ever seen, and Seulgi has been in the company of other princess’ and ladies of no nobility. None have done what Bae Irene has done to her heart, and the young princess suspects none could. Seulgi doesn’t care about Irene for her looks, not like many do.

 

Princess Seulgi cares about the woman who is a fierce protector of those she cares about, and who stands up for what she believes. The same woman who looks fearless in battle but can jump at the sight of a sudden noise. The very same woman that Seulgi is hoping will say yes to one more thing.

 

“I know what you mean.” Irene nods, while taking a sip of water. By the time Irene is done for the day, with her usual duties, not including any outside assignments the King may have for her. There’s not been time to meet with Seulgi, unless they schedule to do so. 

 

“There’s simply never enough time in the day, right?” The dark-haired woman asks with this sort of soft smile on her face. Seulgi smiles back and agrees with an equally warm smile on her own. Seulgi reaches over for one of Irene’s gloved hands, and when she successfully does hold onto the Knight’s hand. The princess smiles in amusement at how slightly red the older woman’s ears are.

 

“Are you...shy, Knight-Commander.”

 

“I-I….I am not!” Irene says it way too fast for it to be believed. Seulgi covers her hand and chuckles. It sounds like music to Irene’s ears, and the older woman knows she’s staring. She just hopes Seulgi hasn’t noticed how hard she is staring.

 

“Very well, if you say so.”

 

“I can’t believe I gave up my luxurious hall patrolling time for this.” The Knight sighs and Seulgi knows she is only kidding.

 

“Don’t worry, brave Knight the halls will be waiting for you to stroll down them any moment. I wanted to ask you a question, it’s important.”

 

The monolid woman does look nervous. Irene hopes it’s not anything serious. Because there is nothing she wouldn’t do for her princess. All Seulgi had to do was ask.

 

“Take your time.”

 

Irene speaks in such a gentle way, it calms Seulgi’s nerves. Besides, why should she be nervous anyway. This woman is sworn to protect and guard her. There is nothing to be nervous about. 

 

“My birthday is soon.” Seulgi begins. 

 

Irene knows. She isn’t one to forget special days. She would certainly not forget the birthday of the Princess. Not only that, but the birthday of the person she cares very deeply for. 

 

“I know, your father has been making preparations. I heard the stablemaster talking about the horses and if they would be ready in time for a parade in your honor, or maybe they were going to bring in unicorns?” Irene looks so thoughtful. Like she’s actually trying to remember if there’s going to be unicorns.

 

“He wouldn’t, not an entire parade.” The princess sighs and places her hands over her face. Seulgi knows her father is the type to treat her birthday like some grand affair, but would he go as far as to have a parade in her honor. Seulgi sure hoped not, otherwise she will have to ‘conveniently’ not be princess for at least her birthday. 

 

“I’m only teasing, Seulgi.”

 

There is much relief to Seulgi when she hears that Irene is only teasing her, thank goodness. She is glad to see the raven being comfortable enough to joke with her. This is the Irene she wants to see when they are alone, when they are simply two people enjoying each other’s company, and not a princess and Knight sworn to protect her. That’s why Seulgi cherishes the small moments like this, and so she has a question for Irene.

 

“And to think a short while ago, you couldn’t even call me Seulgi. Now you’re teasing me, this is progress, yes?”

 

Irene nods with a smile. She supposes once she gets over the fact that this girl is her Princess. Seulgi is very much a fun, sweet, and normal girl, for the most part. The heir to the throne, living in a huge castle thing aside.

 

“I’d say so, your highness.”

 

Seulgi groans a bit, though it is clear Irene is kidding again. “Very funny, Knight-Commander.” Seulgi places some emphasis onto the title and they share a laugh over that. Seulgi clears . She better ask her question before she becomes more distracted and takes up too much of Irene’s time. As much as Seulgi would like to, she can’t exactly keep the woman away from her duties all day. Especially as it’s more than likely that patrolling the halls wasn’t the only thing Irene had to do. 

 

“I wanted to say my birthday is coming soon, and I would enjoy it if you could join me to celebrate, even if it’s only for an hour, or however much time you can spare.”

 

“I just want to see you.”

 

Are the unspoken words. Though they don’t even need to be spoken, Irene understands. The raven is kind of staring at her, wide-eyed and at a loss for words like she kind of doesn’t know what to say.

 

“Irene?”

 

“Join you...for your birthday?” And now those nerves from earlier are back in full force. That wouldn’t be allowed, would it? Now it’s one thing to just stand guard and look important with the rest of the knights and royal guard. That’s an entirely different thing to sit down to fancy cakes, food, and tea at the princess's request. Irene honestly didn’t know what to say, and she didn’t have to say anything as Irene’s silver pocket watch made some infernal sound, like it was halfway-dead, which it probably was. How perfectly convenient, or rather it was convenient when one of the main librarians walked over to tell Irene that one of the junior members of the order was outside waiting for her. That sure was Irene’s cue to go since she did have other duties today.

 

“I’m sorry, Princess. I have to go, bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter