on your wedding day

on your wedding day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sipping her coffee, Seulgi watches her coworkers from the break room window. The office is quiet today, at least quieter than usual. It’s a small firm, just her and some others, but her job in the design department satisfies her creative needs. 
 
“Hey Seul!” someone calls. It’s Wendy, the girl from Marketing who joined the company at the same time as her. They’ve become close over time, being the same age and having common interests.
 
“Hey Wendy, want a cup?” she offers. She knows the girl would much prefer some bubble tea, but it’s worth asking. 
 
“No thanks, actually I’ve got some news!” Wendy admits. She grins from ear to ear, which Seulgi doesn’t miss. 
 
“Irene and I are getting married this spring and I want you to be there!” she announces excitedly, handing Seulgi an enveloped invitation. She can’t say she’s not surprised since they haven’t been dating for long, but nonetheless she’s happy for them. No wonder Wendy’s chirpier today.
 
Engulfing the shorter girl in a hug, Seulgi congratulates, “Hey congratulations! I’m so happy for you two, it’ll be lovely in spring.” They gush over the thought and for a split second she wishes she has a partner to experience this with herself.
 
“Right! It’ll be outdoor so of course there’ll be flowers everywhere…” Wendy raves passionately as Seulgi opens the invitation. 
 
“Wow…” Just like everything in Wendy’s life, the invitation is beautiful and intricately designed. Inside the silver envelope is a white and purple card, adorned with lilac flowers and silver accents. Seulgi’s praise earns a shy smile from the friend, who excuses herself to get a glass of water.
 
Having studied the design for long enough, she finally gets to the text. “Kindly join us for the wedding of Son Seungwan and Bae Joohyun”, it reads. 
 
Bae Joohyun? She’s surprised to see that name, she hasn’t heard in a while. 
 
It’s the name of her first love. 
 
Although there are no more lingering feelings, hearing the name still stings and brings back memories she’d pushed away. But she isn’t the only ‘Bae Joohyun’ in this world. Maybe Wendy’s one is a different ‘Bae Joohyun’, she wonders, unsure why she’s even trying to convince herself.
 
“Joohyun?” she voices, hoping for any explanation. 
 
“Mm, her birth name is Bae Joohyun, but she goes by Irene. Like how I go by Wendy,” the girl explains, not that it clarifies much. Why the sudden name change? 
 
“Oh you’ve never met her, right? I’ll show you a picture.” Wendy pulls out her phone and shows Seulgi the lock screen; a selfie of two girls. The one on the left is clearly Wendy and the one on the right is, surprisingly, clearly her Joohyun.
 
After all those years, this is how Joohyun has been living her life it seems. And now Seulgi is encountering her once again in the most coincidental of ways.

 

 

Ignoring the cramp in her legs, Seulgi rushes up the stairs and through the corridor. It’s her first time being sent to detention and she’s somehow got lost, at risk of another detention. Finally arriving at the right room, she slams the door open and apologises profusely through rushed breaths.
 
“Calm down, you’re okay! Take a seat” dismisses the unfamiliar teacher. Looking up, she’s surprised to see that detention is busy today with almost every seat filled.
 
Except one, next to the infamous student who’s been making buzz lately; Bae Joohyun. 
 
The girl isn’t a stranger to Seulgi, she’s heard all the gossip. Word going around is that Joohyun is one year above her and has just transferred from Daegu. Having an introverted personality and ulzzang visuals, she’s already popular with everyone wanting to befriend or date her. Truthfully, Seulgi doubted the claims about her looks, but seeing her up close she realises they’re actually under-stated. 
 
Steadily stepping towards the two-person desk and avoiding the other’s intense gaze, Seulgi plants herself in the seat opposite Joohyun. Undeniably, she’s as intimidating as they say she is.
 
“Hi! I’m Kang Seulgi,” she exclaims, extending her hand and startling the girl who was concentrating on her work with her earphones in.
 
Looking up, Joohyun is pleasantly surprised to see Seulgi’s bright smile. It’s the first time someone has introduced themselves so humbly since she first arrived, she didn’t think Seoul would be so unwelcoming. But maybe it’d be worth giving the girl a chance.
 
“Bae Joohyun,” she replies, lightly shaking Seulgi’s hand. Her satoori accent is still strong despite attempts to suppress it, making her feel even more alien. Seulgi’s grin widens and Joohyun feels her own smile grow, before shying away and turning back to her work. 

Having got the message, Seulgi faces forward and stars at her desk, unsure of what to do for the next hour. Studying isn't really her forte, she’s always preferred art over subjects like maths. With the first 5 minutes of detention already feeling like an eternity, she pulls out her sketchbook to pass the time, ignoring the piles of homework due. It’s still productive….in a way.
 
The girl next to her is completely opposite. For the whole hour she works through mounds of tasks, everything from maths equations to english essays. Frankly, it surprises Seulgi. People fail to mention her diligence, only raving about her looks. 

But there is one task Joohyun toils with; her art homework. The first section is easy; research a famous artist (a quick Google search is sufficient). But the next part isn’t as simple; recreate one of their artworks in your own style. Admittedly, Joohyun isn’t very artistic. She doesn’t have a single DNA strand of creativity in her body so she struggles, drawing and erasing until the paper thins. 
 
Sensing her growing frustrations, Seulgi glances at Joohyun and notices she’s having troubles. Considering she’s bored and somewhat capable, Seulgi decides to offer a helping hand. “Here,” she says, grabbing the sketchbook and drawing a rough outline. 

Caught off guard, Joohyun’s about to snatch it back, embarrassed of her failures, but Seulgi is doing a surprisingly good job. Joohyun spots the girl’s own sketchbook and her talents become obvious. In this sense, the two complement each other.
 
“Just shade here, accentuate these lines and add some colour. It’ll be nice,” she directs with a cheery smile, handing the book back. Joohyun can’t help but notice that she’s always smiling, especially at things that don’t warrant a smile. 

The rough sketch impresses her, it’s detailed yet minimal. Seulgi’s added her own style while keeping the aesthetics of the original artwork. “Thanks….You’re very good, you know,” Joohyun admits shyly, earning a humble blush from the girl. 
 
“Alright, you’re all dismissed now,” the teacher announces before swiftly leaving. Seulgi hadn’t realised the hour would pass so quickly, she must’ve been too preoccupied to notice. 
 
Heading home, they find themselves going in the same direction with Seulgi a few steps behind Joohyun. “Why are you following me?” she asks, turning abruptly and bumping into the younger girl.
 
“Oh I’m not….I’m just heading to the bus stop,” she explains, easing Joohyun who apologises for the hostility, relieved to see it's just Seulgi.
 
They continue walking, with Seulgi still a few steps behind Joohyun until she quickens her pace and once again extends her hand, offering a banana milk, “for you….” Although Joohyun doesn’t usually accept such gifts, Seulgi is an exception. She’s making that excuse a lot today.
 
Walking side by side together to the bus stop, Seulgi initiates some small talk. “Why were you in detention today?” she asks, curious as to how the intelligent student found herself in the dreary room. “I was sent for eating in class,” Seulgi laughs casually, “I mean I always do, but the substitute today didn’t approve.”
 
Although Joohyun hadn’t asked, she’s humoured by the story. “I came to class late a few too many times,” she confesses. “This school’s bigger than my one in Daegu, it’s easy to get lost.” Seulgi can’t refute it considering she got lost herself on the way to detention. 
 
“Whenever you’re free I could give you a tour and show you how to get to your classes!” Seulgi suggests. Joohyun hadn’t expected it, but at this point she really should’ve. “Thanks, I’d like that,” she accepts. Seulgi grins again and she starts to become attached. The way the girl’s eyes close together and mouth widens charms her.
 
Strolling and sipping on banana milk, they chat about random stuff like Joohyun’s memories of Daegu and how Seulgi got into art. Truthfully, Seulgi does most of the talking, but if it’s what makes Joohyun comfortable then she’s happy.
 
Finally arriving at the bus stop, Joohyun’s bus is already there so she rushes a goodbye and runs to catch it. Simultaneously, Seulgi races to the seat window, “Where do you usually eat lunch?!” 
 
Joohyun is taken aback, but answers anyway as the bus starts moving. “On the bleachers! Why?!”
 
Standing on the other side of the window, Seulgi grins again. “I’ll see you tomorrow then! And don’t worry, I’ll bring the banana milk!”
 
The bus drives off and eventually Seulgi is no longer in sight. Going over the day’s events, Joohyun smiles to herself. Perhaps she just made her first friend in Seoul.

 

 

*Ring* *Ring*

Seulgi begrudgingly wakes up and reaches for her phone, surprised to see Yeri calling. No wonder feels like earlier than she expects her alarm to go off.

“Hello?” she murmurs, still half asleep.

“Hey, you up?” the friend asks. Seulgi isn’t sure why she’s calling, but it’s probably about the wedding later today. 

A close friend, Seulgi met Yeri as roommates during university. Coincidentally, she’s also friends with Joohyun as the two were in the same sorority. Hence, the girl was there to witness the key moments of their relationship, from the ups and downs to the end. 

“I am now. What’s up?” she replies, getting straight to the point. Truthfully she isn’t in the best mood today, but why would she be? She’s about to attend the wedding of her first love.

“Nothing….I was just wondering if you want me or Sooyoung to pick you up? I’m a bridesmaid so I have to come early, but she’s leaving a little later,” Yeri offers. As excited as she is, she’s still a little disappointed that things didn’t work out between the pair. She always hoped to be a bridesmaid or MC for Seulgi and Joohyun’s wedding, but life didn’t play out as everyone expected.

Seulgi pauses and considers it for a second. She doesn’t have a car so it’d be convenient, but they’d most likely have that talk and baby her. “No, it’s okay! I’ll uber, need to via somewhere anyways,” she lies. At this point she just wants to end the call and go back to sleep, any excuse will do.

“Alright….if you say so,” Yeri accepts hesitantly, “but if you need me I’m here for you, okay?” There it is. Yeri’s overly concerned, she’s really doing fine. 

It’s been years since they ended things, weeks since she received the invitation. Maybe she thought a lot about Joohyun during those years and weeks, but she’s fine.

Maybe it’ll be hard to see her walk down the aisle, say ‘I do’ and have the newlyweds’ first dance with someone else, but she’s fine.

She’ll be fine.

 

 

The seconds tick by agonisingly slow as Seulgi’s nerves intensify and she gets that horrible feeling in her stomach. After class, she plans to confess and ask Joohyun out. Despite becoming close friends, Seulgi has come to develop deeper feelings and see Joohyun as more than just a friend. 

And she isn’t sure if she’s being delirious or not, but maybe (just maybe) the older girl feels the same way. 

Seulgi’s undoubtedly noticed the special way Joohyun calls her name and stares at her lips. Neither have been brave enough to address it and Seulgi has been feeling even more anxious that someone else will captivate her.

Hearing the bell, Seulgi races out the door to their spot on the bleachers, ignoring the teacher dismissing them and students who stare. Being in different grades and participating in different extracurricular activities, they don’t spend much time together, making up for it with lunch on the bleachers and library dates after school (but of course Seulgi doesn’t study much or stay awake for the matter). 

Preciously, she squeezes the cassette tape in her hand. Over time, Seulgi’s realised that they are opposites in every aspect, disagreeing on most things like how she likes the cold when Joohyun likes the heat. But if there’s one thing they have in common it’s their music taste, always sending each other recommendations and sharing earphones on the bus.

And so Seulgi’s curated a special playlist with songs that say; “I like you, do you like me too?” 

At the bleachers, Joohyun is already waiting, but she isn’t alone. A boy approaches her, clearly interested, and although she doesn’t know him, Seulgi already hates the way he looks at her and dares meet her at their place. 

Watching from afar, she’s delighted to see him walk away, disappointed by Joohyun’s rejection. She’s used to this, always thrilled to see the girl turn them all down, but now that it’s her turn she starts to get nervous.

Finally noticing Seulgi, Joohyun runs over to her. “Hey! Sorry I didn’t see you there.”

“It’s okay, I just got here. Who was that?” she asks, curious about the boy. Although she isn’t even sure what she’d do with the answer.

“Oh he’s just Suho from my class. He asked me out,” Joohyun explains casually, used to the incessant advances. “He sent me a Spotify playlist with the song titles forming the sentence, ‘I Really Like You. Be My Girl?’ Why’d he think that’d work?,” she laughs.

Playlist….? Seulgi grimaces, cursing the boy for stealing her idea. Or maybe she should curse herself for choosing a generic one. Either way her plan is foiled. “Oh? Is that so….” she hesitantly laughs, slowly hiding the tape behind her.

“Mm I didn’t expect it, it’s a bit cringey don’t you think?” Joohyun continues to joke, sprinkling more salt into Seulgi’s wound.

“Haha! Yeah! So cringey!” she laughs forcefully, trying her best to mask the truth. But Joohyun spots her insincerity and notices that she’s hiding something.

“Hm? What’s that behind your back?” she reaches, surprising Seulgi who goes into panic mode and tries to avoid Joohyun’s hands.

“Nothing! Nothing at all!” Seulgi defends, desperately wanting to throw the tape across the field and herself along with it. But Joohyun’s too quick and stealthily snatches the cassette.

In a cute case designed by Seulgi, the cover reads ‘I like you, do you like me too?’ Joohyun smiles to herself, finally realising why Seulgi’s so nervous. The other side lists some songs, which she recognises as their favourites and ones with a common theme of confession. It’s childish, but cute and Joohyun loves it. It’s just like Seulgi.

“Surpriseee…” Seulgi says awkwardly, avoiding Joohyun’s eyes. The girl looks up and chuckles, not because she’s funny but because she’s so innocent. “What’s the meaning of this?” she teases, acting serious. 

Seulgi timidly musters up all the courage in her heart and tells her the truth. “I um….I really like you, Joohyun.” Although she’s heard this more times then she can count, none of those times have her heart beat this fast, her hands shake this much.

“I like being friends, but I want something more….I want to go out with you,” she continues. “I planned to give you that tape and ask cause I thought you’d like it but um...guess not,” she laughs embarrassed. 

Although the girl is her closest friend, Joohyun has also secretly felt something deeper. Whilst always smiling and caring, Seulgi smiles at her differently and cares for her more than others. She didn’t want to read too far into it, but as the girl stands across from her and confesses, perhaps her feelings are requited.

“I didn’t like it because it didn’t come from you,” she confesses herself. The younger girl isn’t sure exactly what she means and Joohyun can see the confusion

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter