it's all about the flow, and not so much the show, so let your heart lead the way, kiddo

Premium Subscription
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Uploading this to celebrate Wandy’s birthday! After Wendy being a somewhat wingwoman in Just a Little Less than Ideal and Mere Exposure Effect, Seulrene have finally pushed up their sleeves to help her get her girl! This is the justice for Wannie we’ve all been waiting for since Sinful Fortuity (it’ll still be in Seulgi’s POV with a hefty amount of SR). I’m hoping to update HSS: Yeri’s Guide for Myemim’s birthday too! And with this, all of my oneshots are officially one shots with bonus chapters lmaooooooo

 

            Seulgi peered at her friend before turning to Joohyun, who shook her head solemnly. The younger girl sighed and crossed her arms in an ‘X,’ prompting Wendy to pout and drop the dress.

            “I don’t understand. Everyone else has always gotten a song, but you’ve been very particular about getting Yeri a physical gift for her birthday.”

            Wendy scowled. “You get your girlfriend physical gifts.”

            Seulgi gave her a ‘are you kidding me’ look before waggling her finger. “One, she’s my girlfriend. Yeri isn’t dating you. Two, I can’t really write unnie a song for her birthday. Yeri loves songs even more than she likes poems.”

            “Touche,” Wendy said as Joohyun whined in protest. She mumbled something about appreciating everything Seulgi gave her regardless of its form.

            After graduating, Joohyun had gotten a fancy job at a huge tech corporation and had been working on a new software over the past year. She moved in with Seulgi, since they wouldn’t see each other at the club after Joohyun quit her part-time bartending job there, and instead of being moral support at the club, the older girl fanatically promoted BlackVelvet and attended all their concerts despite complaining about her eardrums afterwards.

            The rest of the band had been pushing through school, the now seniors struggling to keep up with normal course loads on top of their theses. At least Wendy and Jennie had a stellar source of reference through Joohyun—Seulgi was wondering how the heck she even managed to think up the idea of composing a ten minutes song using pitches from au naturel wood. She’d spent a good few weekends hiking up random mountains to find decently-sized logs.

            “You still haven’t asked Yeri out?” Wendy’s former mentor questioned. Joohyun leaned on Seulgi’s shoulder, regarding the CS major with a stern look. “You guys have been flirting around each other for over a year now.”

            Wendy threw up her hands. “She’s a baby!”

            “She’s only two years younger than you, you doofus!” Seulgi also threw up her hands in exasperation, accidentally knocking Joohyun off her shoulder. She smiled sheepishly at her pouting girlfriend before leaning Joohyun’s head back to where it was. “You’re a respectful, responsible adult who is capable of being in a healthy relationship and she is also the same way. Heck, you’ve been preaching to me about healthy relationships ever since I had a crush on unnie.”

            Joohyun lifted her head and glanced at Seulgi. “Oh?”

            “Was I not obvious enough?”

            “No, you were, but it’s still nice to hear that you also had a crush on me.”

            “Also?”

            Joohyun merely shrugged. “Was I not obvious enough?”

            “Fine, you win.” Seulgi sighed. She turned her direction back to her friend. “But in case you’re too stupid to see it, Yeri’s been waiting for you to figure out your feelings and confess to her. And honestly, I’d be a bit wary now that Suhyun’s been hanging out with her lately. They’re awfully close these days.”

            Wendy pursed her lips. “But I don’t know where to start.”

            Seulgi smiled at the implied ‘yes, I guess I also like her.’ “Maybe a song? She’s a lyricist and writer: she’d be impressed if you pulled off some pretty rhyme schemes or something.”

            “But I’m not that great at coming up with those things. It took me forever to piece together the thing about seeking differences and interpreting them.” Wendy scratched her head. “It’s a lot easier just looking at strings of codes.”

            From besides Seulgi, Joohyun sat up straight and snapped her fingers. “Wait!”

            “What is it, unnie?” Seulgi was curious, primarily, as to what got her so excited but she couldn’t stop the goofy grin that overtook her face at Joohyun’s bright eyes.

            Joohyun smiled widely at Seulgi. “I can help with lyrics.”

            A lightbulb went off in Seulgi’s head. Of course, she had totally forgotten that they had Irene on their side.

-------

            “No, no, no. You definitely shouldn’t be using the same word in four consecutive lines without a rhyme scheme. It’s gonna sound really awkward.”

            Seulgi watched Wendy panic as Joohyun guided her calmly through the lyric composition process. It wasn’t that Wendy was bad at writing lyrics or anything—she was just really nervous. It endeared Seulgi knowing that Wendy was crushing bad on Yeri yet refused to acknowledge the extent of her feelings. In fact, it was amazing she even realized that they existed in the first place, because she and Yeri flirted by bickering (usually with Wendy being someone greasy along the way). How two such different individuals could fall for each other, Seulgi didn’t know. It was amazing. But at the same time, she was dating a musical anhedonic, so maybe it wasn’t her place to really say anything.

            “Maybe we shouldn’t do this. Maybe you guys read her signals wrong.”

            Seulgi walked over to where her best friend and girlfriend were swinging and gently pushed Joohyun to the side before smacking the back of Wendy’s head. The smaller girl yelped and fell out of her chair, glaring at Seulgi from the floor.

            “Yeah, give me that look all you want, but you ain’t scaring anyone.”

            “You’re an , you know that?” Wendy turned to Joohyun. “Unnie, do you know that when she was making that stupid instrument—”

            “Did you just call Irene stupid, you—”

            “—woke me up at THREE IN THE MORNING—”

            “You’re the one who told me to go after unnie instead of—”

            “—DIDN’T EVEN PAY ME OR BUY ME A MEAL!”

            Joohyun blinked at the auditory overload. “What?”

            “Unnie, don’t listen to her.” It was Seulgi’s turn to glare. “Unlike you though, at least I took initiative and impressed my girl.”

            “Who says she was impressed? Did you ask her?”

            Joohyun meekly raised a hand. “Uh, I was.”

            Seulgi bit down her laugh at Wendy’s sullen face. “Listen, Wendy.” She helped her friend off the floor and sat her back down. “Remember how you told me about how Joohyun unnie was supportive of our band despite her not liking music?” Wendy nodded. “Well, I’ll let you in on a little secret.”

            Wendy tilted her head. “About Yeri?”

            “Yeah.” Seulgi nodded. “You know how most of our lyrics are written to fit melodic songs? Because you’re not really a great rapper?”

            “Mmhmm.”

            “Well, Yeri is actually a rap enthusiast. She prefers writing hip-hop rhymes in English.”

            Both Joohyun and Wendy’s mouths fell open.

-------

            Seulgi knew to a certain extent that coders were committed people, because who else would sit for days in front of a screen and fry their brains out? So she shouldn’t have been surprised at the grand undertaking Joohyun and Wendy took on, but when it came to the point that they were functioning on no sleep and only two meals over the course of three days, it was extremely concerning.

            And all for a birthday rap.

            The music major carefully knocked on her bedroom door (yes, she had been kicked out and slept on the sofa for the past three days) and bit her lip at the lack of response. Only murmurs indicating that they were alive. She took a deep breath.

            Joohyun’s eyes shot open when Seulgi slammed open the door for the seventh time since the project started, but her bloodshot eyes didn’t express a surprise from the aggressive entrance but rather the large basket Seulgi held in her hands. The taller girl stormed over to the two girls hunched over scattered papers on the floor and dropped the basket in between them, accidentally crushing Wendy’s pinky in the process. Her friend yelped.

            “Dude, what’s up with you today? Can’t you see we’re busy?”

            Seulgi pointed an accusing finger at her and narrowed her eyes. “Son Seungwan. Not only have you two had less than one thousand calories in the last seventy or so hours, but you have also stolen my girlfriend from my side for that same amount of time!”

            “Jesus, calm yourself.” Wendy rubbed her temples and glared at her. “It’s not like we were making out or anything. Plus, you kinda owe me one for helping with that machine.”

            “Instrument, not machine,” Seulgi emphasized. “She bailed on a post-thesis defense dinner date with me to help you write those stupid lyrics!” Seulgi turned to Joohyun. “And you don’t even write rap anyway!”

            “Babe…”

            “Don’t babe me, Bae Joohyun.” Seulgi tried to look sternly at her, but Joohyun looked like she’d faint, and Seulgi couldn’t really stay angry at her. She sighed, crouching down to cradle Joohyun’s cheek. “Unnie, you know I hate it when you get obsessed over a project and don’t take care of yourself.”

            Wendy cleared . “Stop forcing me to be a third-wheel. And she’s the one who volunteered, just fyi. Because you suggested rap.”

            “Can’t you just write your own stuff? Yeri would love it anyway.” Seulgi frowned. “I don’t understand why it would take you guys three freaking days to-” she glanced at the papers, eyes scanning briefly over the scribbled words- “finish the first verse and the chorus.”

            “It’s not coming. It’s too cheesy.”

            “Seul, trust us. We’ll finish soon.”

            “Yeah, unnie said we just need—”

            “Hush.” Seulgi forcibly pulled both of them up, worried at how easily they were able to be lifted. “We eat-” she pointed at the basket- “all that, and I will help.”

            “You barely write lyrics yourself.”

            Seulgi smirked. “But I know a few people.”

-------

            “You’re gonna have to stop referring to us as ‘the one who got away’ and ‘the one who took her away,’ Sooyoung.” Seulgi glanced at the tall girl who had an arm hooked around Joohyun’s shoulders. “I don’t even know why unnie lets you get away with it.”

            Sooyoung stuck her tongue out. “It’s because unnie loves me more than you.”

            “Fine, then why don’t you just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter