Hold on Me

DRABBLES & ONE-SHOTS

It's been more than a year since Sung Kyu and Woo Hyun broke up. After graduating from university, they went their separate ways. Somewhat difficult since they lived in the same small apartment that they both paid for with their part-time jobs. In fact, that's how they met.

     That spring afternoon, the two of them found an announcement on the university news board. They both took it at the same time and, at first, wanted to fight for it. It was just what the two of them were looking for: a modest place close to campus and at a price they could afford. However, neither of them wanted to let go of it and, after discussing it calmly for almost an hour, they decided to share the rent.
     For a few months they lived quietly and in peace, until one night, when Woo Hyun went out with a couple of friends and came back drunk, things completely changed.
     When he got to the apartment, he went to the wrong room and entered Sung Kyu's. He settled into bed and, between dreams, whispered that he liked his roommate very much, but that he did not know how to tell him, and worse still, he did not know if he liked boys too.
     Ironically, Sung Kyu heard every word because he woke up just as Woo Hyun was muttering his name, although, the next morning, the young man didn't say anything about what happened. Nam apologized for interrupting his sleep, but didn't remember what he said. And the weeks went by as if that night had never happened, however, Kim could no longer see his roommate in the same way.

     It was on winter break that Sung Kyu invited Woo Hyun over to his mother's house because she insisted that she wanted to meet him. Kim would not stop talking about him when he spoke to the woman on the phone and his entire family was eager to see him in person. Even Grandma had gone to the trouble of knitting one of her now traditional scarf and glove sets. Woo Hyun sincerely thanked them when he enjoyed the delicious dinner, and after that, it was inevitable for Sung Kyu not to confess to him what he had been through long ago and what he said to him when he was drunk. But Woo Hyun didn't reply, maybe because he was too embarrassing.
     It wasn't until the end of the holidays that Woo Hyun plucked up his courage and asked Sung Kyu to be his boyfriend. No alcohol involved, or another strange thing that could misinterpret how I felt about him for months. Thus, both began a beautiful relationship full of trust and happiness, because the two complemented each other too well; the two of them were sure they were meant for each other.

     Time was transformed into moments that became unforgettable. Even after they both decided to part ways. Something inevitable, but, both came to think that that love was just a fleeting dream of youth. Something that could not last long, because life was not just smiles and quiet afternoons wrapped in hugs and romantic kisses. They both believed that something else existed; something else that made them reconsider the crazy 'fight' of butterflies in their stomachs when they were together, or the wild fluttering of their hearts every time they touched. They both believed that by dating other people, they would find true love.
     However, the truth is that since the split, Woo Hyun hasn't dated anyone else, and Sung Kyu, despite showing interest in some people, can't get rid of the love he still has for Woo Hyun.

 


 

     "And, what did you want to talk to me about?" Woo Hyun asks before a huge smile appears on his thick lips.
     Sung Kyu and he met at his favorite coffee shop that Saturday morning for breakfast. Something that they have been doing very often, even after ending their courtship. It was impossible for both of them not to remain friends after the wonderful time they spent together.
     Sung Kyu takes the cup of tea in front of him and brings it to his mouth for a sip. "I think Min Ho will propose me," he snaps, leaving his companion stunned.
     For a moment, Woo Hyun's breath hitches, but he forces himself to act normal at his words, even though that confession is breaking something inside of him.
     "What do you mean?" He asks, looking ignorant. The truth is that he knows what Sung Kyu is talking about, but he does not want to accept it.
     "Marriage, of course," he answers, with an expression that only makes Woo Hyun imagine that Sung Kyu has taken by the neck to strangle him.
     "What makes you think that? Isn't it too early for them to formalize the relationship?" He questions, not wanting his anxiety to surface, although the situation has him on the verge of hysteria.

     After all that time, Woo Hyun couldn't get over his love for Sung Kyu, and it pains him to hear what the boy is saying to him now. Everything indicates that he has already forgotten that he ever told him that he loved him.
     "We've been dating for six months. He has taken me to meet his parents, and I plan to take him to my mother's house the following weekend. He's a good boy and... I like him.” Woo Hyun clenches his jaw, but with the last sentence, he also feels a glimmer of hope, because in the months they have been together, Sung Kyu has never said he loves Min Ho. "I noticed him nervous a few days ago, and he was quick to put something away in his desk drawer when I caught him in his office. I'm sure it was a ring for me. I've mentioned to him many times that I like traditional things and, giving an engagement ring to your partner, it's one of them,” he explains, while the pink color covers his cheeks.
     Woo Hyun looks at him and wishes the moment wasn't real. He still can't assimilate that Sung Kyu no longer feels anything for him. More than a year ago they hugged each other with the only desire never to let go; over a year ago, Woo Hyun believed that they would spend the rest of their lives together. But, an ordinary afternoon, Sung Kyu arrived in a low spirits, and then he mentioned the separation.
     Woo Hyun couldn't claim anything when it seemed like that was something his boyfriend had thought about for a long time. And he really did hurt that Sung Kyu decided the future of both, however, he also fervently believed that, if they were meant to be together, it didn't matter if they separated; sooner or later, Sung Kyu would return to him and they would be together forever. But, now that desire is disappearing with each passing minute.
     "I guess if he proposes it to you, you'll say yes," Woo Hyun mentions, swallowing the bitter lump in his throat. Sung Kyu looks at him and the sparkle in his eyes seems to dim.
     "Should? Do you think I should marry him?" He points out, seriousness plastered on his face.
     Something indecipherable suddenly disfigures his pretty face. Woo Hyun knows his gestures very well. If asked, he would say that Sung Kyu expects something from him, but doesn't know what it is. Perhaps a sincere congratulations on his future engagement; maybe words of encouragement for him to be happy with Min Ho; or maybe the words that will keep him from saying goodbye forever, because, Woo Hyun knows that if Sung Kyu gets married, nothing will be the same between the two of them.
     "Why are you asking me? You are the one who must be sure that you want to share his life with him. Remember that marriage is forever."
     Sung Kyu listens to him, and then takes the fork from his plate to finish his dessert. Strawberry cake is his favorite. He puts the silverware back on the table and sighs, placing his dark eyes on Woo Hyun's.
     "It's for that reason that I am not sure," he says finally, with some doubt and a tinge of pain in his voice. "I think I made a very big mistake a year ago, and now I feel like it is too late to remedy it."
     Woo Hyun's eyes widen a bit wider and his heart races. "What do you mean?" He asks, filling himself with hope.
     "To tell the truth, I... I'm still in love with you," Sung Kyu confesses with his eyes downcast, but Woo Hyun can see his lips tremble and his cheeks turn red. "After all this time, I haven't been able to get you out of my head, but, I felt like I had no right to tell you because I was the one who decided to finish. Even now, I feel like I'm selfish because I'm trying to force you to listen to me. The truth is, I don't want to hurt Min Ho; he's a great boy, but, I can't stay with him if it's you I love."

     A smile suddenly materializes on Woo Hyun's lips. A smile capable of erasing all insecurities and giving him what he has been craving with fervor. Because since he fell in love with Sung Kyu, he knew that her love was true, and now he can rest easy knowing that it will be until the end of his days.
      "For a second, I thought I would have to kidnap you on your wedding day," Nam says before sliding her hand across the table to take the other young man's.
      Sung Kyu looks at him, and doesn't hesitate to squeeze his hand when his fingers intertwine. A beautiful smile appears on his lips and the beautiful shine in his little eyes bloom again.