Confide

Healing Wish

JANUARY 31, 2021 ♡ SUNDAY

 

"Okay Joohyun, what in the world was that?"

Seulgi and Joohyun were quiet the entire ride back to her studio loft, as Seulgi didn't want to ask Joohyun anything personal out in the open where anyone could listen in on their conversation. As Joohyun silently places her bag on the coffee table after entering her loft, she makes her way to the kitchen.

"So are we gonna talk about it or ...?" Seulgi lets her sentence trail off, waiting for her best friend to reply.

"I need coffee first," Joohyun replies back from the kitchen while Seulgi made herself comfortable in the living room.

"Hey! Is that my favorite little guy?" Seulgi's tone of voice shifts after seeing a familiar looking Mimikyu shuffle into the living room.

The small Pokémon jumps happily, running over to Seulgi so that she can hold him. Seulgi does just that, picking him up and petting his head.

"He behaves on his own by himself while you and your aunt are away from home?" Seulgi asks after seeing Joohyun come into the room and place a mug on the coffee table in front of them before sitting next to her.

"Yeah, he's a great guard Pokémon," Joohyun smiles over at Mimikyu, "mostly because Mimikyu are highly underestimated. I've only had one incident of a crazy fan trying to break into my loft, but this little guy stopped him all on his own."

Seulgi smiles stiffly, not wanting to even know what happened.

"Are you okay?" Seulgi asks, changing the subject. She looks up at Joohyun from Mimikyu only to see her shake her head.

"I just can't beleive he had the audacity to even ..." Joohyun clenches her jaw and continues to shake her head.

"Joohyun, I might be crossing the line when I say this, but maybe you're being a little too cold? You guys were just kids, and he seems so excited to see you," Seulgi peeks over at Joohyun to see an expected glare.

"You're right, you are crossing the line," Joohyun mumbles, "you have no idea how miserable I was because of him."

Seulgi was one of the very few that knew of Joohyun's past with Taehyung. She and Taehyung grew up in Hammerlocke, where they attended the Pokémon Academy there together with their respective starter Pokémon as soon as they were old enough. The two were best of friends, never being seen without the other and were practically inseparable. As they grew into their teenage years, Joohyun started to realize herself growing feelings for Taehyung, however she buried them because she cherished their friendship too much to ruin it. That was the main reason, but another thing that didn't help was that he was really confident and flirtatious with other girls at the academy. Why would he choose her when there were other girls he was clearly happy to flirt with? Somewhere down the line, she pushed herself to confess to him since holding in a secret this big was too overwhelming for her. It worked out against her favor, however, when Taehyung seemed angry with her after her confession, and then proceeded to tell the whole academy about what had happened. He exaggerated his side of the story to embarrass her, therefore humiliating her upon their classmates. She was casted out from her friends who she thought were her real friends, and she was alone for the rest of her time at the academy. When Taehyung had suddenly transferred out without a trace, Joohyun begged her aunt to withdraw her from the academy so that she could start her Pokémon journey anew in Hoenn, where she could get a fresh start somewhere no one knew her.

"But you met me and made so many new friends because of him, Joohyun," Seulgi fully turns to Joohyun, "I know you went through a lot because of him, but ... it worked out for the best, right? What would you do without me?" 

Joohyun laughs, putting down her mug onto the table.

"I guess it did," she smiles back at Seulgi, who embraces her briefly.

"So it looks like you're really intending to make him think you have no memory of him at all?" Seulgi asks curiously, tilting her head.

"That's the plan," Joohyun sighs, leaning against the armrest of the couch, "but I need you to help keep it afloat."

"What are you talking about?" Seulgi raises a brow in curiosity, not liking where this was going.

"You, Yeri, and my aunt are the only ones who know about this and I'd like to keep it that way. Please don't tell the rest of the Champions. I know they care about me greatly and would do anything for me, but I can't risk Taehyung knowing the truth. They also need to believe that I've never met Taehyung either."

Seulgi scoffs at Joohyun's reasoning, shaking her head in disbelief.

"You want me to lie to our friends?" Seulgi rolls her eyes after seeing Joohyun nod without a word, "Please, Joohyun. If you just tell Taehyung how you felt and communicate, that would be better, you could even cut him off afterwards. No one's saying that you have to fix things with him."

"He doesn't deserve anything from me. Not even my own words," Joohyun was standing her ground, much to Seulgi's displeasure.

"Okay, well ... whatever your plan is, just keep me in the know so I can be there for you," Seulgi is unsure that from here on out, things will be okay, but not if she could help it.

"Alright enough of this topic of conversation, can we get to shopping now? I probably have only about two hours before my training session with Yeri at the stadium. She'd be happy to see you," Joohyun stands up, smiling down at Seulgi.

"Great, am I going to have to hear Yeri whine about how she can never beat you and complain about Jungkook being mean to her?" Seulgi snickers along with Joohyun, following her out of her loft.

 


 

"Yes sir, if you could please sign here, here, and ... here, we should be done with all the paperwork for today and you can head home."

After the Champions' meeting was over, Taehyung had sent Vernon back to his hotel in Circhester while he stayed behind at the battle tower to handle some new circumstances that had abruptly became his responsibility. In Taehyung's last year within Kalos, he had received news from his mother that his father had recently become ill, however his father insisted it wasn't a big deal. This news never left Taehyung's mind as soon as he became aware of it, and it ate at him everyday. It affected him so much to the fact that he had put off training and wasn't mentally present during battles, which was ultimately the reason why the Champion title ended up being stripped away from him after Vernon had managed to beat him in a battle for the title. By then though, his father's illness had worsened, and Taehyung had then begun to be more open towards accountability. He was fully cooperative with the transition of the Champion title, much to the entire region's surprise, and he quietly shipped all of his belongings from Kalos to a studio loft in Wyndon he purchased once he was no longer Champion. After Joohyun had beaten his father in a battle for the title of Galar Champion, his father took over running the battle tower. It's proved to be a difficult feat after he fell ill, however, so Taehyung had been in talks with the battle tower council for months now about him taking his father's place at the tower. All of the official paperwork had been taken care of as of today, and after the council holds an official ceremony announcing the big news this weekend, Taehyung would officially be Wyndon Battle Tower's new Tower Leader. 

"Does there really need to be a big ceremony? Can't we just transition the position quietly?" Taehyung sighs while looking through the stack of papers in front of him, signing his name wherever he saw a space that needed it. 

"It's tradition, sir," the battle tower employee across from him replies, "the Galar Champion and Gym Leaders should know who you are. You all are prominent leaders of the Galar region, so you should become well acquainted with them."

Taehyung just sighs. The Galar Champion ... how could she not remember him? They were practically best friends, that kind of relationship just isn't something forgettable. After his father had pulled him out of school and sent him to Kalos on his own after hearing news from the academy that Taehyung was receiving low marks on his exams and battles, Taehyung had to learn to grow up real quick. When times were tough, he would think of Joohyun and what she would say to him if she were there with him. It made him miss her everyday, and he soon came to realize that taking out his anger on her back at the academy was foolish. Confessions from girls back at his time at the academy was common, so receiving one from his very own best friend made him question if she was only his friend in hopes of winning his heart, something he didn't care to give to others at the time. 

"Sir, are you alright?" The employee's voice snaps Taehyung back into reality, watching him form a small smile before pushing the paperwork to him.

"I'm fine, it's just a lot of paperwork -- kinda overwhelming," Taehyungs laughs and rubs the back of his neck, standing up to leave, "is that all?"

"Yes sir," the employee stands up as well, "congratulations again, the tower looks forward to having you as our new leader."

"Thank you, I'm glad to be back home."

 


 

Seulgi heard Yeri whine for probably the umpteenth time that day, causing her to laugh. She was currently sitting on a bench far behind Joohyun, watching her battle with Yeri.

"That's a wrap, Yeri, our Pokémon are tired," Joohyun calls out, retrieving her Ninetales back into its Pokéball. 

"Aw really, Unnie? I've been waiting all day for this and it's over just like that?" Yeri pouts, having no choice but to end their training for the day. 

After Yeri jogged over to Joohyun to listen to her criticism, Seulgi stood up from the bench. 

"You're getting the hang of a strategy, which is good," Joohyun starts as the three of them walk back into the building, away from the stadium field, "but maybe try and experiment with different Pokémon? I know you and your team have stuck together for a while, but testing out different Pokémon with different strategies could help you rise in the ranks and could even help you get some badges."

"Oh ... I'd feel bad if I use any other Pokémon," Yeri replies unsurely, rubbing the side of her arm.

"I understand," Seulgi chimes in, "but sometimes if you keep losing battles, it might help to try out different strategies. Regardless, your Pokémon will always love and care for you as long as you do the same."

"You two always know the right thing to say," Yeri smiles, feeling more reassured.

"You hungry, kiddo? We can stop by the café and have my aunt fix you up some good ol' curry," Joohyun throws a hang oer Yeri's shoulder, bringing her close as the three of them exited the stadium and out onto the street.

"Boy am I ever!" Yeri exclaims excitedly, "It'll also be the perfect place for me to tell you guys something I found out recently ... and you're not gonna like it."

Joohyun and Seulgi share a brief glance before they proceed to make their way towards the direction of the café. After arriving there, they all wave to Joohyun's aunt, who was behind the counter placing pastries into a display box. They take a seat at a booth in the corner of the establishment so that they have some privacy. After they put in their orders, Seulgi gets right to prying information out of Yeri.

"What is it you wanted to tell us? I've been anxious since we left the stadium," Seulgi asks, her tone slightly hushed.

"You know how Kim Wondeuk grew ill and the battle tower council was desperately looking for someone to replace him?" Yeri looks at her friends with a serious wave washing over her face, "They found a replacement -- and you'll never guess who it is."

At that moment, their coffees and smoothie arrives at their table, causing the girls to sit up. They thank the waitress briefly before Yeri continues with what she had to say.

"His son," Yeri blurts out while reaching over for her smoothie, "Kim Taehyung."

"You're not serious," Seulgi widens her eyes and turns to look at Joohyun.

Joohyun leans her back against the booth, crossing her arms over her chest. She lets out a sigh before commenting.

"It makes sense now," Joohyun looks up at Yeri, "he came to our Champion meeting today, but not because he wanted to accompany the new Kalos Champion, but because he's moving back here and had to talk to the battle tower council about him taking over his father's position."

"He's ... moving back here? For sure?" Seulgi was in shock. Taehyung seemed like just a story, but now it was becoming a reality.

"Yeah," Yeri nods, "he finalized the paperwork today after your meeting ended. I have a friend that's a trainer at the battle tower, and everyone there already knows. It won't be long before the word spreads, and by then there'll be a ceremony to conduct the transfer of the position ... which means you'll be there, Joohyun."

"And you'll have to work with him eventually," Seulgi chimes in.

"No one said I ever had to get along with him, and just because I'm going to be working with him doesn't mean I'll be happy about it," Joohyun barks, annoyed with her current circumstances.

"What are you going to do, Joohyun?" Yeri sighs, worrying about her mentor.

"I'll just tell him I lost my memory after an intense training session with Hatterene. Psychic Pokémon's abilities can be hardcore, that can work, right?" Joohyun is amused at her friends' drastically different reactions.

"Lying is not the way out of this, Joohyun," Seulgi sighs and rests her face in her hands.

"Honestly I think he deserves it, but it seems like a lot of effort just to make him convinced you have no idea who he is," Yeri makes a point, "is he even worth the effort?"

"Maybe he'll finally leave me alone if I really did forget about him," Joohyun mumbles, looking down at her coffee.

Seulgi and Yeri look at each and sigh. There was no talking Joohyun out of this one. 

"If he comes to us asking about it, what do we say?" Yeri asks, giving in to Joohyun's intentions.

"Just say I eventually regained my memory back, but I didn't regain any memory about him since I haven't seen him for eight years. Maybe then he'd feel guilty about never coming back to Galar to apologize or even visit me," Joohyun responds, looking at Yeri and then Seulgi. 

Seulgi seems apprehensive about lying, but it was to follow what Joohyun wanted. She was her best friend for a reason. 

"We'll be there at the ceremony if you want us to," Seulgi says, "in the crowd, of course. You'll have to be on the field with the Gym Leaders, but we'll be there for moral support? We can go get dinner afterwards too."

"Or maybe Taehyung will sweep her off her feet and we won't have to," Yeri giggles, receiving a sharp glare from Joohyun.

"Don't count on it," Joohyun rolls her eyes before taking a sip from her cup of coffee, "he'll never get another chance with me."