Confusion

Healing Wish

JANUARY 31, 2021 ♡ SUNDAY

 

"Joohyun, sweetheart, I think you might be running late for your meeting!" 

Joohyun glances up to her Eevee wall clock to see that she was, in fact, running late. Being a Pokémon Champion was more than just the fans and fame. The most important job of all as Champion was to make sure their region and its people were safe. 

"Shoot, guess I took a little too long on my makeup today," Joohyun clicks her tongue, rushing to put her makeup away before jogging to her closet to get dressed.

"Honey can you please make sure you dress warm? It's snowing outside," Joohyun's aunt opens the door to her room suddenly, only to see her niece slipping into a white trench coat that stopped at her knees.

"Auntie don't worry," Joohyun smiles, "the snow never gets too wild in Wyndon." She finishes getting dressed after slipping on some thick leggings and knee-high heeled boots to match her coat. 

"Will you be out the whole day today?" Her aunt asks, watching Joohyun slip on a white, faux fur scarf over her neck.

Joohyun turns to her aunt, a small smile on her face. She knew that her aunt got lonely sometimes, especially after her retirement from being Ballonlea's Gym Leader years ago. She did run Wyndon City's café afterwards though, so that was on her plate ever since.

"Unfortunately," Joohyun sighs, gathering her bag, "but you'll be busy training your new hires today at the café, right? Don't worry about me, and I'll try to stop by if I finish my errands before you close."

Her aunt smiles and nods, letting her niece go off to tend to her errands for the day. 

"Have a good day Mimikyu, make sure to watch over Auntie and guard the house while we're gone, okay? Love you so much," Joohyun kisses the top of her Mimikyu's head, giggling at his tail waving back at her while she left the room.

 


 

Joohyun quietly walks into the Wyndon Battle Tower, the sliding doors behind her softly closing behind her. Normally she would walk to the tower, but today she rode on top of her Kantonian Rapidash to the tower instead since she was running late. There were a few trainers in the lobby, most of which had already shot their glances in her direction. Joohyun became a master of being oblivious to stares at this point, so the walk towards the big elevator doors was a breeze.

"Welcome back, Champion!" The tower employee guarding the elevator greets Joohyun cheerfully, turning to her, "the rest of the Champions are already settled in the conference room, they're expecting you."

The Champion only nods, stepping into the elevator after the doors had opened. After the elevator had reached the 50th floor, Joohyun stepped out of the elevator and proceeded to walk to the only room on the floor, which was the conference room.

"About time! Since when were you ever late to a meeting?" 

Joohyun rolls her eyes as she enters the room and hears a typical comment from a close friend of hers.

"Nice to see you too, Hoseok," Joohyun smiles, looking at the Pokémon world's Champions sitting at the long table in front of her. 

On the last day of every month, all eight Champions of the Pokémon world meet to keep one another in check of their regions and any struggles their people or region are going through. It's been tradition since the creation of Pokémon Leagues amongst multiple regions, and the meeting location cycles through each region every month.

"Why is it so cold here, I barely have any winter clothes and you know that, Joohyun!" Wendy was complaining, as per usual.

"Wendy, I video chatted you at the beginning of the month and reminded you that we're doing meeting in Galar this month," Joohyun chuckles, taking the empty seat next to Seulgi.

"I forgot ..." Wendy mumbles back, sinking in her seat briefly before adjusting herself.

The group settled down before proceeding with their meeting, which went surprisingly smoothly, much to Joohyun's pleasure. After their meeting was officially over, they filled each other in on their lives and what they were up to. 

"So I know Baekhyun has something really important to say, what is it? Is the current Kalos Champion going to finally it up and come to monthly meetings?" 

All eyes and attention shifted to Byun Baekhyun, Kalos's former Champion, after hearing Jimin's words.

"Actually, yeah," Baekhyun chuckles. Wendy begins whispering to Seokjin, and the rest are in disbelief at what they were hearing.

For the past four years, Baekhyun had been attending the meeting in the current Kalos Champion's place, which was Kim Taehyung. Baekhyun had relayed to the other Champions that the new Champion was arrogant and stubborn, and refused to attend the meetings because they were "too boring." The other Champions had told Baekhyun that he didn't have to show up to the meetings since he was no longer Champion, but Baekhyun didn't want to knowingly let go of an important resource that his region could potentially need. The other Champions have never met the new Kalos Champion, and after hearing what Baekhyun said, they certainly didn't -- but little did they all know, however, that Joohyun was already well aware of him. 

"Taehyung was actually dethroned as of recent. An eighteen year-old managed to beat him at a recent Championship match, therefore, you will for sure have a new Champion taking my place for meetings," Baekhyun explains, analyzing his fellow Champions' reactions. 

"Wait, so ... does that mean this is your last meeting with us, Baekhyun?" Seulgi pouts after receiving a nod from Baekhyun.

"You really couldn't give us a heads up? We need to go out and have a going-away event or something," Seokjin sighs, crossing his arms over his chest.

"It's not a big deal," Baekhyun chuckles, waving his hands, "I'll still come by your respective regions and pay you a visit from time to time. It was such a pleasure handling business with you guys." 

The room was quiet for a bit, everyone each taking in the sudden news differently. The only thing Joohyun was thinking about was how relieved she felt knowing that she was not going to be seeing Taehyung after all. After their falling out, she concluded that the next time she saw him, she would pretend that she had no idea who he was. If she couldn't undo meeting him in this lifetime, she would act like she hadn't met him at all. 

The group hears a knock coming from the entrance, looking at each other in confusion.

"I've personally invited the new Champion to meet and be acquainted with you all so that the transition will be slightly easier on you all," Baekhyun says, standing up and walking towards the double doors, "it's my last gift to you guys before my departure."

The Champions stay silent as they watch their friend open the doors, revealing two men, rather than one. The first man Joohyun notices seemed to be the new Champion, who held his hands together in front of himself politely. He had light brown hair and looked to be shy. This was a drastic contrast to the other man standing next to him, who Joohyun recognizes. Taehyung no longer had black hair, but had dyed it blonde. However, that is the only thing different about him. He still had that smug look on his face, not caring about what anyone thought about him. Joohyun immediately tenses up, but remains quiet. Seulgi instantly turns her head to Joohyun, widening her eyes, but Joohyun chose to ignore her. 

"Taehyung?" Baekhyun couldn't hide his surprise seeing the trainer that had beaten him and taken over the Championship title of Kalos four years ago, "What are you doing here?"

"I've felt bad that I've neglected my duties during the time that I was Champion, so I decided to accompany Vernon here, Kalos's new Champion, to meet the rest of the regions' Champions," Taehyung explains to Baekhyun, but later realizes that the other Champions are also in the room, hearing his explanation. 

"Well," Baekhyun clears his throat and coughs, looking at the Champions and then at Taehyung, "you two stopped by just in time, we finished our meeting and were waiting for Vernon. If you don't mind, you can step inside."

 


 

"Phew, all of you look so tense -- I thought the meeting was over?" Taehyung chuckles, only receiving cold stares and silence from the Champions.

"They were expecting to see Vernon, Taehyung, not the Champion that turned away monthly meetings for four years," Baekhyun narrows his eyes towards Taehyung, hoping that he would just shut up.

Taehyung took the hint, smiling stupidly back at the Champions who were clearly not amused to see him.

"Let me first congratulate you, Vernon, for becoming Kalos's new Champion," Baekhyun smiles at the younger looking boy, receiving a nod back from him, "I'm sure Taehyung has informed you of your duties as Champion."

"Yes of course," Vernon responds back, "meeting the other Champions was the last thing on our to-do list. I'm honored to be working with you all."

The Champions all smile back at him, proud that the next Kalos Champion they were to work with wasn't going to be as difficult as Taehyung.

"Well, let me try to make this quick because we all have quite a busy schedule today," Baekhyun gestures Vernon to turn to the Champions. He holds out a hand towards Jimin, then looks back at Vernon, "this is Kanto's Champion, Park Jimin. He became Champion at your age and specializes in rock and ground type Pokémon." 

Baekhyun goes through each Champion and finally reaches Joohyun, who smiles at Vernon when his eyes meet hers. Before Baekhyun even gets the chance to start Joohyun's introduction, Taehyung interrupts.

"That's Bae Joohyun," Taehyung looks down at Vernon, and then back at Joohyun, "she beat my father, the former Galar Champion, and then took his place as Champion at the age of twenty. She specializes in fairy type Pokémon, but is also known to have typically cute or elegant Pokémon." 

"I thought you haven't met any of us," Yoongi's eyebrow lifts, "but you seem to personally know Joohyun."

"I do," Taehyung nods, then looks back at Joohyun, "it's nice to see you after so many years, Joohyun."

Now all the attention was on Joohyun. The Champions were already put off enough that they never got the chance to meet the ignorant Champion that Baekhyun had to fill in for, but now they were just hearing from that same person that he personally knows one of them? 

"I'm quite embarrassed, I will say," Joohyun lets out a chuckle, "that you know so much about me, and yet, I can't recall ever meeting you."

Now everyone was confused. The Champions were looking back and forth from Joohyun and Taehyung, and then looked at Baekhyun to see if he had any idea what was going on. 

"I think you've mistaken Joohyun for someone else, Taehyung --" Baekhyun begins to try and dissipate the situation, but Taehyung interrupts him yet again.

"I know it's been years since we last saw each other, but it would be impossible for you to forget. We were best friends, Joohyun, and after I --" Taehyung begins rambling, and Joohyun suddenly stands up from her seat.

"I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but you are truly mistaken. I've never met a Kim Taehyung in my life. It was a pleasure meeting you, but since the introductions are now over, Seulgi and I will be on our way," Joohyun picks up her bag and begins to leave the room, Seulgi rushing to keep up with her.

Taehyung watches in disbelief as Joohyun walks past him and out the doors without ever looking at him, away from sight. 

"What was that all about, Taehyung? Can't stop yourself from getting into trouble anywhere you go?" Baekhyun sighs, scolding Taehyung. 

"I ..." Taehyung sighs, still staring at the now closed doors, "did something happen? Why doesn't she remember me?"