02-||ONE||

01-The One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Light mentions of suicide 

 

 

“Knock! Knock!” I yell. My impatient hand rattles the apartment door. “Oi, don't leave me to freeze out here!” The door suddenly opens to reveal a young male with blonde wet hair and a towel hanging around his neck. For a second I think I've got the wrong apartment but once I see my sister stumbling behind him, I know I'm at the right place. 

“Hi,” she sheepishly smiles. I take two calm steps towards her, the male moving so I can enter. In an instant, my arms wrap around her, she yelps at the sudden action. After a moment, I pull away delivering a harsh thwack on the side of her hair. “I can't believe you ran away from home!” I scold as she rubs her head. “I'm sorry, did I hit you too hard?” I touch her head, guilt slowly devouring me. 

“Geez, you're too soft, Yuri--” She takes my hand into hers, leading me to the sofa-- “and I didn't run away, I moved out.” The male closes the front door and follows us. “So…” my words lingering as a question. 

“He's- called Felix and he's just visiting?” She sits across me. I glance around the unfamiliar surroundings. It's a nice place. 

“Hey, have you seen my socks? Felix adds, the smirk clear in his tone from wherever he is. I can see my sister mentally facepalming. “Just visiting?” I add suspicion invading my tone. She exhales. “Anyway mum told me to come check on you. You seem to be doing fine. Now moving on as to what I want.”

Felix enters the room carrying a tray of mugs with his sleeves pushed back. I notice a faint scar on his forearm. Realisation clicks within me. Upon noticing the glint in my eyes, he hurriedly pushes his sleeves back down.  

So he's- “I made some coffee,” he smiles slightly but it seems more like a grimace. My sisters nervous hands taking the cup. “It's fine. You don't need to explain anything to me” I say taking the last mug. “Wow you make good coffee.'' I compliment, my sister becoming wary of my change in demeanour. 

“I need your help,” I simply state. “I need you to find me a dead person.” A wave of shock overcoming her face. “What?” she sputters, placing her mug back down. Felix raises his eyebrows interested, taking a seat besides her. “A dead person? How? why?!” 

“His name is Hyunjin. He thinks he's been dead for about seven months-”

“Woah wait a minute.” she holds up her hand. Why are you talking as if you've actually conversed with him?” 

“Did I not tell you he lives in my house?” I grin sheepishly, Felix chuckling amused. She seems distracted, her eyes focusing on something else. Turning my head, I see nothing, just an empty kitchen. There's a flicker of an emotion in her eyes which disappears before I can address it. She leaves to get her notebook, Felix making an excuse to disappear too but I stop him before he can. 

“I have a question.” I say once she's out of earshot. “You're him, aren't you?”


 

#####

 

My sister enters her bedroom to meet with an apparition she saw in her sitting room behind me. I, on the other hand, am completely oblivious to this and to the fact that the apparition was no other than my ghost who had followed me here. 

“Are you the dead person my sister asked me to look for?” she crosses her arms sitting on her chair. 

“Ouch.” he places a hand over his chest. “So insensitive. Are you sure you're related to Yuri?” Hyunjin mimics her position, feigning his hurt. 

“So you are. Listen, I'm agreeing to help Yuri because she's my sister. Don't get too attached to her because once you ascend, which you will, she's going to be hurt. She may not show it. But Yuri is very sensitive yet she manages to hide her emotions well. Don't be fooled.” 

“I don't want her to worry about me either. I don't want her to hurt because of me. Trust me that's the last thing I want.” Hyunjin glances at the carpet. His eyes holding a deep emotion, voice strong with sincerity. 

“Do you like her?” my sister tilts her head, concern evident in her tone. She runs her tongue over her teeth, dragging her hand through her hair. 

"I-I think I do”

####

 

“I’m home,” my voice rings through the hallway, Hyunjin floating from the sitting room. “Are you happy now? I went to see my sister.” I observe his sullen looking figure and his downcast eyes. “What's wrong?” 

“Hey, is your younger sister coming over later on?” he evades my question, the light switch clicking causing the lightbulb to  flicker on and off. 

“Is something bothering you? You only mess around with the switches when something's wrong.” I approach him, my tone gentle yet cautious. “I'm fine,” he replies monotonously. Deciding not to push the matter further, I nod placing my shoes on the shoe rack. 

We make our way to the sitting room, glancing at the clock, I clap my hands. “Areum should be coming soon. I'll bake something to eat. Wanna help?” Hyunjin turns his head away from the tv screen briefly peeking at me before returning his attention to the screen. “Pleaseeee'' I add. 

After a moment he agrees, rising from the ground. A smile greets my lips, giving out a small cheer I skip into the kitchen. “Okay,” I clasp my hands together. “What shall we make today?”

“You're excited.” he comments. “How about cookies. Chocolate cookies.” Hyunjin pauses, eyebrows furrowed in concentration. “What about brownies?'' I add, tapping my fingers against the counter. “No, don't have all the ingredients for that. Flapjacks?”

We ponder over the topic of what to bake for a few more minutes. Both shouting out a range of options we both disagree on. “You know we’ll never choose like this.” sighing, Hyunjin agrees pacing from the fridge to the sink. 

“Lets play a game to decide. We each choose something to bake and the winner's choice gets picked.” I outline my idea, clicking my fingers. “How about rock, paper scissors? Best out of three?” 

 

####

 

“I want a rematch, that's not fair,” Hyunjin complains, crossing his arms. He stands opposite me, elbow resting on the kitchen counter. “How can you win, three times in a row it's not possible?” After another round, Hyunjin throws his hands in the air, the surrounding environment frosty. “No, no. wait. AH! There was something in my eye. Give me another chance.” he wails throwing excuses around. 

“How does a ghost get something in his eye?” I tease. “But fine. One more chance.” I hold up my index finger.

“Fine,” I give in, he flexes his arms, preparing for a second round.  I draw scissors and he draws rock. Hyunjin gasps acknowledging his point. He throws scissors cutting my paper. His eyes light up beating me 2-0. “One more point.” he mumbles to himself. Hyunjin throws paper and I draw scissors. “HA! My point!” 

Since he's thrown all three, rock paper and scissors. And because he used scissors first, there's a high chance he’ll use it again. If he’ll use scissors, I'll use paper.

“Oh no,” I feign the sadness in my tone. “I lost. You won. Looks like we’ll make cookies instead.” I mentally grin at how excited he seems. His smile, reaching his eyes as he fist pumps the air. “Okay, lets begin. Yuri, get the flour and butter and I’ll get the sugar.'' I laugh as he orders me around as if he owns the kitchen.

Placing the ingredients on the counter I turn to see a plastic jar floating towards me sitting besides the packet of flour. Currently occupied with kneading the dough, a shower of white piles on top of me. Gasping, my eyes widen, dusting the mass of flour off of my clothes. My actions only result in a coughing fit. Fanning the white powder away from me I turn to see Hyunjin laughing hard, slapping his knee.

Grabbing a handful, I fling it in his direction. Inevitably, the powder flutters to the ground causing him to cackle throwing his head back. Placing my hands on my hips, I complain, pouting about how unfair this situation is. Regardless another pile of flour rises heading towards me. Shrieking, I jump looking for something to hide under. Placing the clean pan over my head preparing for the incoming fall. Instead of landing on the pan I open my eyes to see the hovering cloud directly in front of my face. 

“No don't!” I yell, glaring at the Hyunjin whose eyes glint. He outstretches his hand, making a circle with his index finger and thumb. Shaking my head, he evilly nods making a flicking motion with his fingers. Squeezing my eyes shut, the flour decorates the front of my clothes, including my entire face.

Wiping it all away, I blow the particles into his face. Of course it doesn't affect him in the least. But just for the fun of it I clutch another handful. The kitchen, sitting room and hallway all fall victim to our food fight. I end up completely covered in flour and not an inch on Hyunjin. We lie down, ultimately exhausted. A sudden ringing sound of the egg timer tells us that the cookies are ready. 

“Let them cool. My sister should be here anytime now. Mind you, she can be a bit of a handful at times though.” I take off the oven gloves, placing them besides the cookies on the cooling rack. The doorbell rings. “Hellooooo!!” a loud voice hollers echoing through the hallway. 

We pop our heads through the doorframe to find the letter plate open. “Yuri!” my youngest sister calls.

“I'm coming,” chuckling, I make my way to the front door, Hyunjin hiding behind the kitchen door. “Hello you!” I exclaim, tackling my sister in an embrace. 

Once she squeezes away she bombards me with questions. “Do you have a ghost? Where is it? I want to see it! Pleaseeeee” Areum, my baby sister’s eyes glimmer with excitement as she practically jumps from where she stands. 

“Lets calm down first.” I help her take off her coat hanging it on the rack. 

“Oh. Your friend said to give you this. She said to tell you that she's ‘moved back into the neighbourhood and wants you to come visit her’.” Areum hands me a gift bag as I straighten her collar. “Did you not get changed? You're still your school uniform.” she shrugs, peering around my house. 

“Hyunjin,” I call, Areum pulling out her sketchpad. “Hyunjin where did you go?” The addressed wafting through the wall behind my sister. “I'm not an ‘it’.” He grumbles making her turn around.

“WOWWW!” she screams. She holds the headrest of the sofa squealing. “Wow! You are soooo handsome!” Hyunjin shrinks away, taken aback by how loud she

“Thanks?” he shys, hiding behind me. “So your Yuri's baby sister? Areum right?” Hyunjin questions. Areum shuffling closer to get a better look. 

“If I touch you, will my hand go through your body? Are you like over a hundred years old?” 

“How old are you, little girl?” he asks. “You know, you act like a baby.” 

“It's not my fault, Mister. It's all my medicine, it makes me go all loopy.” she whirled her fingers by the side of her head.  “and I'm 15, turning 16 years old. I don't always act like a child. Like I said. It's all the medicine.”

“Why don't you two talk some more. I'll go get the cookies we made earlier.” leaving the two alone, I enter the dirty kitchen mentally groaning of the thought of cleaning it all. 

Areum glances at the cookie sniffing it. She cautiously brings it closer to her lips taking a bite. In an instant, she sputters grabbing a tissue spitting the cookie into it. Hyunjin warily peers at her. Handing her a glass of water, I pat her back. “Are you okay?” 

Taking a cookie for myself, I take a nibble. Grabbing a tissue I mimic her action. “Why is it so sour?! Hyunjin did you get salt instead of sugar?” 

He gasps dramatically, placing his hand over his heart. “I did no such thing--” he pauses-- “...I think? How was I supposed to know? You don't label your jars!” He throws his hands in the air sulkily. 

“There are stickers on the lid. Little circle ones!” I draw the shape in the air. “Red for sugar, blue for salt.” he retaliates as to why I didn't notice the ‘blue sticker’. “You know what, It's fine,” I sigh. Taking the tray of cookies back into the kitchen I place them on the worktop for the time being. 

“You know if I draw you wrong I'll be so mad.” I enter to see Hyunjin posing, as Areum levels her pencil in the air. “You're like a masterpiece. I have to draw you perfectly.” she mumbles, constantly whipping her head up and down. “Stop moving,” she snaps causing Hyunjin to freeze. 

“Yuri, help me,” he wheezes, shifting his eyes in my direction. She shushes him. “I thought your sister was cute but she's a big meanie.” he says. 

“I thought your ghost was really cool but he really isn't,” Areum turns to me. She sticks her tongue out at Hyunin who only mirrors her actions. 

 

“Okay. Let me take a picture of you two.” Areum stands placing her masterpiece carefully on the table. Hyunjin flies over to see it. “Woah!! I really am handsome,” he boasts as  Areum snatches her sketch away. “Picture!” She repeats.

“Stand next to my sister, okay. You two look really cute together so I HAVE to take one for memories,” she points to me. We glance at each other unsure. Shrugging I pat the area of the sofa next to me. Hyunjin grins taking the seat. “Now do a pose.” She pulls out her phone. “Move closer,” Areum fusses, ordering us around. “Done,” 

“I've always wondered if ghosts can appear in pictures.” she says, 

“We can only be seen by those who can see us.” Hyunjin explains. 

“You know, I have a friend who can see ghosts as well. He's called Jeo-” My sister is cut off by her phone. “Oh I need to go. Mum wants me home,” she grabs her school bag from the sofa rushing to fetch her coat. “Call me when you get home,'' I yell as she barges through the front door. 

Snapping a picture of the drawing I send it to my other sister. My phone pings, a message from her thanking me. “Right, now to tidy the kitchen.”

 

####

 

“I'm going out,” I call. After Areum went home yesterday, we- no, I mean, I tidied up, taking up most of the day. And for the remaining hours, Hyunjin and I simply spent our time watching movies. I learnt that he cries a lot in specific areas and it's rather cute. 

Because we obtained a sketch of Hyunjin, the normal people can see my first task was to print out a few copies of him. I'll give some to the police stations and ask the residents if they've ever seen him before. It's not very helpful but it's all I can do right now. I promised to help find out who he is and that's what I'm going to do. 

“Excuse me,” I stop a lady with her daughter in the street. The woman turns her head perplexed, the younger girl on her lollipop. “Have you ever seen this person?'' I show her the drawing of Hyunjin. She shakes her head apologising pulling the child along. 

That was pretty much the conversations I ended

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter