Fin.

Someone to Lean On (And a Shoulder to Cry On)
Please log in to read the full chapter

It's a typical Saturday evening. Jeno is finishing an assignment that was due yesterday, his papers spread out all over the living room floor. The apartment is quiet, it's just Jeno home right now since Jaemin has been out all day. Jeno had tried to ask him where he was going but the omega just became flustered and rushed out of the door. It was strange, but Jeno respects his roommate's privacy enough not to push him. Jaemin isn't one to keep many secrets, but he values his privacy and space and Jeno is happy to give it to him. Jeno thinks that's why they work so well together.

 

Jeno and Jaemin have been best friends since they were in the 6th grade. Jeno still remembers how Jaemin approached him during lunch. Jeno had always been a shy child and he had a hard time making friends. Jaemin had spotted him sitting by himself in the cafeteria and insisted that it was unacceptable. Jeno was practically dragged by the younger boy and Jaemin introduced him to two other boys. And that's how Jeno met his other best friends, Donghyuck and Renjun.

 

While Jeno loved hanging out the other two, he and Jaemin have always had a special bond. Before either of them had their first heat or rut, Jeno knew that he was in love with Jaemin. It's hard not to. Jaemin is everything good in Jeno's life. He is weird, too weird for some people, but Jeno loves that just as much as he loves Jaemin's enchanting smile or his caring personality. Jeno is absolutely whipped, according to Donghyuck, but Jeno is perfectly okay with that. Jaemin owns his heart, and he doesn't care if everyone knows it.

 

It seems the only one that doesn't know it, however, is the omega he is in love with. Sure, Jaemin is the closest to Jeno. They're roommates. They even adopted cats together.

 

But Jaemin seems oblivious to Jeno's feelings.

 

And that's okay, too. Jeno doesn't want to force his feelings on Jaemin in any way, so he ignores the alpha instincts inside of him that are practically screaming at Jeno to just go ahead and claim Jaemin. They both have been with other people, Jeno just to fruitlessly try to get over Jaemin. His relationships never lasted long and eventually he just decided to stick with one-night stands and rut partners. Even then, Jeno just feels wrong. The only person he wants is Jaemin.

 

Jaemin isn't a relationship person either. He never had a boyfriend for more than a few months, and Jeno feels guilty that he takes some consolation from that. Jeno is a generally shy person that doesn't like to complain, but he doesn't know what he would do if he had to deal with seeing Jaemin in love with someone else. That would be pure torture.

 

Jeno sighs to himself. Jaemin never fails to take up space in his brain. Even when Jeno should be focused on finishing his calculus homework, he is thinking of the absent omega.

 

And as if God heard him trying to think of something else, Jaemin walks through the door that second.

 

He looks tired, which isn't that surprising. Jaemin has been feeling sick for the past few days. The younger male had told him that it wasn't anything to worry about, but Jeno is not Jeno if he does not worry about Jaemin.

 

"Hey, welcome home Nana."

 

Jaemin apparently didn't notice him sitting on the couch because he looks startled by Jeno calling out to him.

 

"Jeno... I didn't think you'd be here. Mark said there was a party tonight..." Jaemin is speaking distantly, obviously lost in his own head.

 

Jeno didn't think him missing a party was out of the ordinary. Both he and Jaemin preferred to stay in most of the time.

 

"I have a lot of work to make up because of my rut..." Jeno stops. Wait a second. "Hey, Nana? Aren't you overdue for a heat?"

 

Jeno is a good roommate (and an attentive alpha). He keeps track of Jaemin's heat schedule, just as Jaemin keeps track of his less frequent ruts. Jaemin has a heat once every two months and so far, he has never experienced a late cycle. But his latest heat should have already hit days ago. Jaemin isn't even experiencing any preheat symptoms. Maybe this is the reason that Jaemin has been feeling so sick recently.

 

Jeno mentally admonishes himself. He usually notices these things, but he had just recently just had a rut that threw him off some.

 

"Jaemin? Have you been sick because of your heat? Have you gone to a doctor? Never mind, we can go right now. I can even call up Doyoung and have him do a checkup on you if you want me t-"

 

Jaemin interrupts, "Jeno! Will you please back the off?!"

 

The omega regrets his outburst as soon as he closes his mouth, he throws his hands over his mouth with wide eyes. Jaemin has never been someone that yells, his frustration usually comes in the form of locking himself in his room for hours and ignoring his phone, or even stress baking at 3 o'clock in the morning, but Jeno cannot even remember the last time Jaemin has yelled at him.

 

Not knowing what to say, Jeno blinks. He decides to keep his mouth shut, he doesn't want to accidentally say something to annoy Jaemin even more.

 

"Oh my God! Jeno, I did not mean that!" Jaemin stumbles out.

 

Ok. so, there is definitely something wrong with Jaemin.

 

Jeno closes his textbook that has been ignored for the past hour. Jaemin is more important anyway. When he pushes his other books and papers off the couch, he pats the cleared spot for Jaemin to take.

 

"Come sit, Nana. Let's talk."

 

Jaemin stares at him for a few moments, most likely contemplating whether he should sit down or hightail it out the door and avoid any confrontation.

 

But Jaemin knows that Jeno is not going to let this go until they talk about it. It's too important. So Jaemin resigns to his fate and removes his shoes that are still on and takes the offered seat next to his best friend.

 

Jeno takes the omega's hand into his own, he's always loved the way their hands are roughly the same size for the optimal hand-holding experience. Jaemin doesn't protest, he takes as much comfort from skinship as Jeno does.

 

"So, is there something you want to talk about, Jaemin?" Jeno plays with Jaemin's slim fingers to distract himself from staring at Jaemin. The younger male doesn't like to be stared at, especially when he is opening up.

 

Jaemin takes his time and Jeno lets him. It is better to let Jaemin speak up on his own, nothing good can come from backing him in a corner.

 

The two of them sit together for some time. Jeno keeps playing with their hands and Jaemin just stares. He is thinking hard, he always chews on his lip when he is in deep thought. That's why his lips are always so chapped.

 

Eventually, Jaemin speaks up, but it is not in any way what Jeno was expecting to hear.

 

"Jeno, I need you to help me get an abortion."

 

-------------

 

Omega's rights had been essentially nonexistent until 50 years ago. Omegas were mostly property. They had no right to ownership of anything. Alphas got away with abusing Omegas, no one would even blink an eye if they saw a bruised-up Omega. Omegas did not even have the right to claim their children.

 

It to be a symbol of wealth to possess many omegas. Alphas would have their omegas collared, some went even as far as putting leashes on the omegas for an outing. It was absolutely barbaric, and omegas lived through torture everyday.

 

Over the last 50 years, things have changed a lot. Omegas have been liberated in a way. Laws have been passed outlawing domestic abuse, omega brothels, and omegas are considered to be their own persons and can live without an alpha. More and more omegas were reporting assault and . It is common for omegas to go to college and get a good job.

 

But as much as things have improved, there is still a lot to cover in order for omegas to have equal rights.

 

A big issue now is abortion rights. For years, omegas have been fighting for the right to control their bodies. They want the right to decide if they want a child or not. This is a huge political issue. For years, omegas were only seen as baby makers. To some people, letting an omega kill their baby is basically taking away their omegahood. There has been progress, but it still isn't the results that are wanted.

 

Jaemin is an active member of the omega's union on campus, and he has had a few run-ins with the law regarding his involvement in protests over the years. Despite the massive objections to this particular law, there has not been a change to it for over 20 years.

 

Omegas can receive an abortion; if they have the father of the baby present and get their approval.

 

-------------

 

Jaemin knows Jeno will do anything for him. Jeno has proven to him repeatedly that he will always be there for Jaemin. And Jaemin is so thankful to him. Jeno is the perfect Alpha in every way, any omega would be lucky to have him even if Jaemin can't have him.

 

Knowing just how serious Jeno is about taking care of him, Jaemin tries not to take advantage of it too often. Jeno should not throw himself to serve an omega that he isn't mated to.

 

But... this is a different situation. Jaemin actually needs Jeno. Jaemin can't have a baby. The only thing worse than having an abortion, in the general public's eye, is having a baby without an alpha present. Jaemin can't bring a baby into the world to endure the ridicule they will witness towards their mother and themselves. It was too much. Jaemin did not want to do that to his child.

 

Having an abortion is not what Jaemin wants, but he doesn't have any other choice.

 

And to have an abortion, Jaemin needs Jeno.

 

Jeno, who is staring at him like he grew horns out of his .

 

Jaemin hesitates. Is this too much for even Jeno? Jaemin should have known that no one could be that selfless. Not even Lee Jeno.

 

After Jeno gawks at him for another minute, Jaemin gives in and breaks the silence first.

 

"Jeno? Are you okay?"

 

Jeno blinks at him.

 

Jaemin blinks back.

 

This is not how he thought Jeno would react. He hoped that Jeno would be understanding and happy to help, he even anticipated Jeno getting angry and refusing to help him. He did not expect him to just stare.

 

"Jeno? Can you please say something?" Jaemin could not take this silence.

 

Finally, Jeno comes back to his body. "But.... we never had ."

 

Jaemin doesn't know whether he should laugh or cry. "No Jeno, we have not had ."

 

"So, how are you pregnant?" The red-haired alpha says dumbly.

 

"The baby is not yours Jeno!" Jaemin did not want to go into the details of his life, but Jeno is just making things difficult. "The father is someone else."

 

Jeno nods along like he is getting it, but he is still looking confused, "So why don't you ask him to take you? I'm sure he doesn't want the baby as much as you."

 

"Because I don't even know who he is!" Jaemin is close to tears. He is so embarrassed. He tries to avoid talking about the alphas he hooks up with. Jaemin doesn't want Jeno to think he is an omega that just hops from bed to bed. Having Jeno know that Jaemin slept with someone he doesn't remember is humiliating.

 

Jeno's face hardens, "Nana, did this alpha f-"

 

Jaemin stops him before he can finish. "No Jeno, it was consensual. we were both just really drunk. It was that party weeks ago that Yangyang dragged me to."

 

"And he just left you alone?! I'm going to kill him.” Jeno makes a mental note to choke the Taiwanese beta the next time they see each other.

 

"Look, this is not what I want to talk about. I really need you to help me." Jaemin knows how fiercely protective Jeno can be sometimes, and he would rather not have to stop Jeno from going to kill one of their best friends because of a drunken night.

 

Jeno huffs. "Fine. What do you need me to do, Nana?"

 

The way Jeno is always so ready to help him at a moment's notice makes Jaemin's heart hurt. Jeno is so perfect, Jaemin does not deserve to have someone like Jeno as his best friend.

 

"I have to get an abortion," Jaemin explains. He has to get an abortion, but he doesn't want to. "But I need an alpha to be there with me."

 

"You need the baby's father, or your guardian. I'm not either of those."

 

"Which is true, but there is no way to know if you are the baby's father or not. Our scents are completely blended by now, and people mistake us as mates all the time. It wouldn't be hard to pass as a couple."

 

"I don't know Jaemin," Jeno says in an all too familiar tone, the tone where Jeno is not convinced on Jaemin's plan but he is already on board because he has a hard time saying no to his loved ones. "Why do I feel like this is illegal in some way?"

 

"Well, it shouldn't be! I should be able to get an abortion on my own, but I can't Jeno!" Jaemin tries not to get worked up, but this is just frustrating. "If I could, I'd do this myself. But I can't. I need you Jeno. Please."

 

"Nana. I-"

 

Jaemin is pretty sure he has tears in his eyes now. "Please Jeno. You're the only Alpha I trust enough to do this with me."

 

And just like that, Jeno cracks. Jaemin can see the exact moment when Jeno resigns, Jaemin would feel bad about the obvious emotional manipulation, but this time it is for a good cause.

 

"Come here, Nana." Jaemin feels his best friend pull into his arms. Jeno is always so warm, his embrace is comforting. Jaemin lets his tears fall freely, trusting Jeno to keep him safe.

 

"Shhh, it's okay. Nana, I'm here. We'll make this right, I promise."

 

And Jeno always makes it so easy for Jaemin to believe him. 

 

---------

 

Jaemin is pregnant. And he needs Jeno's help.

 

Jeno isn't going to lie. It hurt him to hear that the love of his life is pregnant with someone else's pup. Jeno has wanted to call Jaemin his mate ever since he learned what mating was. But no matter what his feelings are for the younger male, Jaemin did not want him. And him being pregnant only solidified that sentiment for Jeno.

 

Somehow, this still doesn't turn Jeno away from Jaemin. If anything, it made Jeno start thinking. What if that was his baby that Jaemin is carrying? What if they raised a baby together?

 

What if they raised this baby together?

 

It's a dangerous thought, but Jeno can't help but imagine. Him and Jaemin bonded for life.... a small child in their arms. A warm and loving family.

 

But that's not what Jaemin wants. Jaemin doesn't want to have a baby, at least not right now. Understandably, Jaemin knows how hard it would be to raise a baby while the both of them are still in college. Not to mention they aren't the richest people; their parents still pay a good portion of their expenses. Jeno can go on and on with reasons why raising a baby would not be smart at this point in their lives.

 

...but he can also go on and on about how a baby would be such a blessing in their lives as well.

 

And here he is, talking like the little fetus inside of Jaemin is theirs and not Jaemin's. Jaemin doesn't even have romantic feelings for Jeno, why is he imagining that a baby will magically bring them together like he's always dreamed of? Of course, Jaemin is only asking this of Jeno because he doesn't have anyone else to go to. Jaemin has no choice but to ask for his help. And after Jaemin gets rid of his little problem, he will go back to his heat partners and act like none of this even happened.

 

Jeno shouldn't get attached to the baby or Jaemin. Because as soon as the procedure is done, both of them will be gone.

 

Jeno studies the omega in his arms, taking in all those features that he is already so familiar with. He had cried himself to sleep. His cheeks are streaky from the tears and his nose is red and runny, but he is no less beautiful. Jeno doesn't know how Jaemin manages to look so ethereal after crying for 15 minutes. Maybe Jeno is just a bit biased, but Na Jaemin can never look anything other than flawless in his eyes.

 

He's digging himself deeper and deeper into the endless hole that is his love for Jaemin. Everyday his love for his best friend grows more and more. Jeno tried the whole using someone else to get over Jaemin a few years ago. And while Sunwoo was a sweet boy and they are still friends, Jeno could not help thinking about Jaemin every time he held hands with Sunwoo or imagining that it was Jaemin writhing in ecstasy underneath him. Sunwoo knew about Jaemin, and he was kind enough to not take it hard when Jeno ended things between them, Sunwoo just patted him on the back and wished Jeno good luck. Jeno felt bad for using Sunwoo like that and he hasn't been in a serious relationship since.

 

And that was freshmen year of university. Now, in his junior year, Jeno still hasn't been able to confess his love to Jaemin. It is embarrassing. Jeno is the type of person to face his problems head on, he does not usually cower to save face.

 

But Jaemin just makes things so different. They're close, a little too close to be appropriate between an alpha and omega, to some people. Jaemin is so engrained into Jeno's life and vice versa. Jeno is afraid by confessing his feelings, Jaemin will want nothing to do with him anymore. And that hurts. Jeno would rather have Jaemin in his life as his best friend than not at all.

 

Jeno is fine with being anything that Jaemin needs. Whether that be a best friend, roommate, or even the fake father of his baby.

 

Whatever Jaemin needs, Jeno will provide to the best of his ability.

 

------------

When Jaemin awakes, it's well into the night and he is in his room, Jeno must've carried him here after his Jaemin's little tear fest.

 

Jeno is kind like that.

 

Jaemin finds himself wishing once again that it was Jeno's pup he was carrying inside of him. Jeno would be an amazing father, just like he is a wonderful alpha. Having Jeno father his child would be a dream come true. Even if Jeno didn’t want Jaemin as a mate, he would never deny his child. Jeno isn't like that; he takes responsibility for his actions.

 

Maybe that's why Jaemin fell in love with him, Jeno is loyal to a fault. He is always looking out for Jaemin, has been since they were kids. Jaemin never paid too much mind to it before high school, that was just how Jeno was. If you are in Jeno's circle, he will do anything for you. Jaemin knew, he knows, that Jeno does things especially for him that their other friends aren't privy to, but Jaemin accepted it as Jeno and him being the closest to each other.

 

But when they went off to university together, and they started living together... Jaemin could not help but to wonder if there was more to his and Jeno's relationship. He started to ponder his closeness to Jeno, how much they depend on each other.

 

And he realized that he actually is in love with his best friend.

 

This revelation wasn’t anything life changing, it was just an eye opener. His failed relationships and his lack of commitment to one partner made sense. He was holding everyone to the standard that Jeno had set; a bar that only the alpha himself could reach. Jaemin subconsciously was looking for Jeno in other people and he only disappointed himself when none of his partners lived up to his expectations.

 

Jaemin wanted Jeno two years ago and he still wants him now.

 

He's given up on trying to find someone else, Jeno is it for him. Sure, he still has the few nights of passion and the alpha he trusts with his heats, but that is as far as they go. Jaemin doesn't know how long he will be stuck in this love limbo, but he cannot see himself loving anyone who is not Jeno.

 

But Jeno has never expressed having any romantic feelings for him. Jeno isn't very vocal about his love in the first place, and he usually shows his love through gestures. And that's the problem; how can Jaemin tell his feelings when Jeno is loving to all their friends? Just the other day, Jeno gave Renjun his coat because the smaller boy forgot his. Or when he gave Chenle his lunch so they younger could eat before taking an exam. Jeno is generous and kind to everyone, so how can Jaemin tell that how he treats him is different?

 

"You're an idiot, Na Jaemin." Renjun’s rolls his eyes, "Anyone with half a brain can tell that his is smitten with you. I don't know how you don't see it."

 

What if Renjun was right, what if Jaemin is putting himself through all this torture for nothing? Maybe Jeno does love him the same way Jaemin loves him. What if Jaemin has been wasting all this time that he could have been with Jeno?

 

Except, you're pregnant. No alpha wants to be with an omega who is already knocked up by another alpha.

 

Jeno does a lot for Jaemin without question, but even that is too much for Jeno. Maybe if Jaemin wasn't pregnant then this would be different. Maybe after he gets the abortion...

 

Just the thought of killing the little life inside of him makes him sick. Jaemin is pro-choice, he believes that a pregnant person has the right to do what they want with their body, including abortion. But Jaemin, he never wanted that. Ever since he was young, he was always excited to have a child of his own. His mom said that he used to walk around with his baby dolls all the time and when Jisung was born, Jaemin loved him like his own son. Jaemin loves children.

 

Aborting his own baby does not feel right. No matter the circumstances of their conception, Jaemin already has so much love for his pup, it will hurt so much to get rid of them. But it will hurt more to see his pup struggling through life. The world is a cruel place and Jaemin doesn't want to give his pup a harder time. So, it's either have an abortion and live his life with regret or have the child and struggle for the rest of their lives. Selfish or selfless.

 

Jaemin doesn't want to make that decision.

 

-----------

 

Jaemin sets the appointment for Thursday afternoon. Jeno only has one class in the morning, so it's a time that works for both of them. Jeno tried to talk to Jaemin more about it, but Jaemin has been avoiding him for the past few days. The omega has taken to moving between Renjun and Donghyuck's apartment instead of coming home. When Jeno asked Renjun what was going on, the older omega just told him to give Jaemin some space (Jeno didn't even bother asking Donghyuck, knowing he would likely insult Jeno for being dense and then ignore him for days).

 

So Jeno lets Jaemin hide away, and he tries (and fails) to pay attention in his classes. It's just hard to focus on his physics professor when he is worried about Jaemin. He is on his laptop, supposed to be taking notes but instead he is mindlessly tapping on the keypad.

 

Mark, who is seated on his right, finally gets to his breaking point after hearing the annoying clicking sound for almost 10 minutes straight.

 

"Jeno, just put your laptop away. I'll send you my notes later." Mark says in an exasperated voice. He isn't one to get angry easily and it takes a pro to get him worked (Donghyuck knows all about that), but Jeno doesn't want to annoy him further, so he puts away his computer and tries to fidget more quietly in his seat.

 

When class is over, Jeno gathers the rest of his books and puts them in his bag, then waits for Mark to do the same. It is late afternoon now and the two of them decide to grab some lunch together. Jeno usually likes to stop by the building Jaemin is in, but he has been excused from classes this week and is probably at Donghyuck's apartment catching up on missed sleep.

 

Mark asks him when they are seated in the university cafeteria, "So, what's going on with you Jeno? You've been out of it all day, all week if we're being real here."

 

Mark is a frank person, he doesn't cut corners and beat around the bush, especially when it comes to his friends' well-being. Being the oldest in their group of friends, Mark had taken it upon himself to take care of all of them. The Canadian alpha became acquainted with them when he and Donghyuck became involved and he instantly clicked within their group, it's like he has been with them since the beginning. Jeno thinks that after Jaemin, he and Mark get along the most. Mark is an all-around great person, he's funny, considerate, and generous. While Jeno isn't used to being cared for, he likes when Mark cares for him as a sort of older brother.

 

It's no wonder how Mark could tell Jeno has not been his usual self, Jeno feels like he has been floating in a bubble all day. "Sorry, I am just working myself up over nothing."

 

"About Jaemin?"

 

The younger alpha looks up in surprise, "You know about Jaemin?" Jeno was under the impression that Renjun and Donghyuck were the only one that knew about Jaemin's pregnancy. Donghyuck is a lot of things, but one thing you can count on is that he will keep your secret, so Jeno doesn't think he would tell anyone, not even his alpha.

 

"I know that he was sleeping at Renjun and Donghyuck's apartment last night. Donghyuck told me that they were doing 'hot omega ' and to get out." Mark says in his best imitation of Donghyuck. "But Nana did look a little upset. I didn't have time to assess them before Donghyuck threw a cushion at my face. Is there something going on with you two?"

 

As much as Jeno wants to talk to Mark about the situation, he respects Jaemin's privacy. If Jaemin didn't tell Mark, it's probably because he doesn't want his business spread to other people. So, he just says vaguely, "Jaemin is going through something right now. I'm not sure why he is avoiding me, but it might have to do with that."

 

"Is he okay?" Mark asks, concern showing on his face.

 

"He will be. I'm helping him with the problem."

 

Mark hums in acknowledgement but Jeno can tell by the face he is making that he is holding back from saying something. Probably something that Jeno isn't going to want to hear.

 

"What? What is it that you want to say?" Jeno knows that Mark is probably not wanting to start anything while they are surrounded by a hundred people, but Jeno wants to hear what he has to say.

 

Mark bites on his lip, carefully choosing his words. "Nothing, Jeno. I just- how long do you plan on doing this?"

 

"What exactly are you referring to?"

 

Mark gives him a pointed look, "You know what I'm talking about. How long are you going to pine over Jaemin instead of telling him how you feel? Jeno, no one can be satisfied with being stuck in the friend zone all their life. You either need to tell Jaemin how you feel or move one without him. This isn't healthy for you."

 

Jeno bristles, "It's not as easy as you think, Mark."

 

"That's because you are making it hard Jeno! Jaemin wants you just as much as you want him. The fact that you can't see that is mind boggling."

 

"And what if he doesn't?! I could destroy our whole relationship!" That's Jeno's worst nightmare. He can't lose Jaemin just because he couldn't keep his feelings to himself. It may hurt knowing that Jaemin's love only goes as deep as friendship, but nothing would hurt as much as not having Jaemin at all. Jeno will be more than happy to stay in the friend zone if means being able to stay by the omega's side.

 

"Jeno. You can't live your life by what-ifs. What if Jaemin loves you too? What if you two could be mated? What if you live a long life with him? There's so many scenarios that can happen, but good or bad, you will not know unless you do it."

 

Jeno knows Mark is right. Deep down, Jeno feels that what he and Jaemin have could easily turn romantic. Jaemin is a touchy person, but Jeno undoubtedly gets most of the affection (besides Jisung because little brothers don't count). He is aware of the fact that he is the only alpha that can come into close contact of Jaemin while the younger is in preheat. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that he is one of Jaemin's favorite people, in fact he is sure Jaemin has stated so numerous times. But despite all these things that signal that he has a special place in Jaemin's heart, he isn't sure he wants to risk that position by asking what exactly it means. He is special to Jaemin, and that's all that Jeno needs to know. Even if he wants more than that.

 

Mark stands up a few moments later, grabbing his empty bowl and water bottle. He offers Jeno a small smile, "I have to get to class, but I really want you to think about what I said, Jeno."

 

And Jeno does. He really does.

 

-------

Thursday comes quicker than Jaemin is ready for. He has been dreading this day for the past week. Even after having time to come to terms with the abortion, Jaemin is not prepared. He doesn't think that he'll ever be prepared.

 

But he has to do this. If not for himself, then for his pup. So, he puts his brave face on and faces the day with his head held high.

 

He had spent the night at Donghyuck and Renjun's again. Jaemin loves living with Jeno, but there is a certain feeling of comfort being with other omegas gives him. Omegas are known to empathetic, caring, and more sensitive, and that is biology. Omegas are also more sensitive to smells and can even smell the change of emotions in others that betas and even alphas could not detect. It is not uncommon for omegas to live together; it is actually recommended to most that leave their family homes for the first time. Jaemin would have lived with the other two omegas if he could have. Donghyuck and Renjun however, being the smarty pants they are, got into a more prestigious college on scholarship, leaving Jaemin and Jeno to go to another college. Donghyuck and Renjun of course decided to room together and Jaemin took the next best option and he and Jeno moved in together. He remembers how much of a scandal that had caused between their families at first. Jaemin felt so sorry about the amount of shovel talks Jeno got.

 

Living with Jeno is great, but one thing the alpha can't do well is make nests. Jeno, bless his heart, tries his best, but even he has to be bad at some things. When he arrived at his best friends' apartment, he and the other omegas had spent an hour building a nest for just the three of them. Jaemin spent his days curled up in the warm blankets and snuggling up to his friends, just like they used to do when they were younger. Jaemin has known Donghyuck since they were literal babies and Renjun since kindergarten. The slightly older omegas are a comforting presence for Jaemin; they always know how to make him feel better. Renjun is the best at giving advice and Donghyuck will always try his best to put a smile on Jaemin's face. His friends are a lot sweeter than most people give them credit for. They went out of their way to make Jaemin feel better. Renjun brought home $50 worth of junk food and Donghyuck rented all their favorite romcoms. It was nice, Jaemin was more relaxed than he had been in weeks.

 

On Wednesday, Jaemin was sad to see Renjun go but the Chinese boy had to head to leave for a much-needed trip home, but he made sure to leave Jaemin with words of encouragement and a tight hug. Donghyuck made sure to take up the empty room that Renjun left, and he doubled his cuddling.

 

Jaemin really loves his friends.

 

When Jaemin wakes up on Thursday morning, he is greeted by breakfast and a 'get well soon' bouquet of roses. Donghyuck smiles brightly at him as he enters the kitchen area and shoves the roses into Jaemin's arms.

 

"I love you, Nana. I just want you to remember that I will always be here for you."

 

Jaemin places the flowers down on the countertop gently and hugs his best friend close, "I know, Duckie. I love you too."

 

Donghyuck noses at the taller boy's scent glands. “My offer still stands. I can always ditch Mark and we can raise your baby together."

 

The younger omega chuckles, more of a choked sob, into Donghyuck's hair, "I wouldn't ask that of you. You love Mark."

 

"Yeah, but I love you more. Bros before hoes and all that."

 

Jaemin laughs, "I'm telling Mark that you called him a hoe."

 

"Go ahead, he is too whipped to be mad at me."

 

"I love you, Hyuck. I am really thankful for you. And everyone else too. " Jaemin smiles and squeezes the shorter male one last time.

 

"Hey, that's what friends are for. Now come on, let's eat."

 

Donghyuck was thoughtful enough to take into account the nature of Jaemin's appointment and stuck with light foods, just some toast and fruit. Jaemin eats as much as he can stomach, which isn't much but if he ate anymore, he would be throwing up soon. He has been lucky enough not to experience much morning sickness, but he still got nauseous and with how nervous he is, it would not take much for him to throw up.

 

After they eat breakfast, they cuddle in their nest for an hour. Donghyuck has a class that he is skipping, but according to him "Some things are more important than learning the history of the piano." Jaemin isn't complaining, he will accept any opportunity to cuddle.

 

When it is a quarter to 1, Jaemin starts to get ready to leave. His appointment is set for 2 in the afternoon, but he has to arrive there at least 30 minutes in advance. Doyoung was kind enough to allow his younger brother to borrow his car for the appointment so Jeno could drive them. He had texted Jeno earlier to come pick him from Donghyuck's place and Jeno said he would be here soon.

 

Jaemin tried to insist that Jeno didn't have to go through the trouble of borrowing his brother's car, but Jeno refused to make Jaemin take the bus for an hour-long trip. Even though he was hesitant, Jaemin is thankful for Jeno doing that for him. He still feels bad that he has been avoiding Jeno for the past few days. Jaemin didn't want to make Jeno feel like he did anything wrong, it was quite the contrary, he just wasn't sure he wouldn't do something stupid in front of Jeno, like pour his heart out in a hormonal outburst. It was safer for Jaemin to just stay with his other friends until after the appointment.

 

After lying on the same spot in the nest, with Donghyuck curled up next to him sleep, Jaemin musters up the energy to get up so he can shower. It takes a minute to detangle himself from Donghyuck’s long limbs, but when he does, he heads to the bathroom, grabbing his weekend bag from its place in Renjun's room. He packed some of Jeno's clothes with him, just to make sure he smells as much as Jeno's omega as he can. Hopefully they won't be asked to prove their relationship by showing legal documents or a mating bite, but that is unlikely. Jisung once told him on one of their visits that it is impossible to distinguish Jeno's alpha scent from Jaemin's. Years of being close friends and living in close proximity has caused for their scents to blend completely, which is usually only the case with mates. Jaemin can't deny the smugness he felt when he learned this.

 

The shower is semi-successful in getting Jaemin to relax. The hot water soothed his muscles, but most of the tension formed in his brain. Not wanting to waste more water than needed, Jaemin turns the shower off and exits the tub, and he immediately freezes. Jaemin did not pay attention to the full-length mirror that was hanging on the door when he first entered the bathroom, but now it has full attention. Standing where he is, Jaemin gets a full view of his body, his midsection in particular. It's still flat, Jaemin is only two months along so it is not surprising, but he can't stop himself from getting emotional.

 

His belly is never going to get bigger.

 

He will never be able to feel his pup move inside of him. He won't be able to read to his baby while rubbing his stretched skin. He won't get to experience the feel

Please log in to read the full chapter