One: Han Se Jong, the dating coach

Ms. Fangirl's Online Secret

---- Se Jong's POV----

Seoul. Morning. Se Jong's Residence.

"Ji Hyo, I'm desperate." I firmly said as I pulled my hair up in a ponytail, ready to type my details on my laptop.

It's already been 3 months since I started looking for an online part time job via OnlineJobSeek.kor. I put a lot of effort into applying for these jobs --  I already read almost all of job application blogs and tips online; I have my ready-made and customizable template letters; I've already optimized my profile to make it look professional, and; I put introductory message and video to advertise my skills and services. However, none of the 99 cover letters and applications I submitted got back to me! I just passed my 100th application via the website in hope that it'll finally be the lucky one.

Ji Hyo, who came over to my place earlier to cheer me up, just finished cooking a homemade kimchi stew for our lunch. She called me to the dinner table so we can finally enjoy the food.

"Giving up isn't an option, Se Jong. Okay?" Ji Hyo reminded me. I nodded as I stuffed my face with rice. She's right, there isn't any room for giving up now.

"It's just that it's not easy. I don't get why no one wants to hire me. I've already done all the tips in the blog. I've already made my profile presentable. My photo looks nice. It's really disheartening." I complained as she pat my back.

"What kinds of job are you applying for?" She asked.

"All of them! Transcription, typing, personal assistant, virtual assistant, research, all of them! No one wants to hire me." I sighed.

"Just take a break first." Ji Hyo encouraged me. "You might tire yourself out."

I really wish I can take a break, Ji Hyo. Buy you know my situation. Plus, many people are looking for part time job online nowadays. The competition is fierce. For them, I'm just one of the applicants they can reject.

"No, I can't. My part time job in the 7/7 convenience store isn't enough to cover my bills and expenses in this economic crisis. Plus, I'm already in my senior year in college. I need to graduate so I can look for a professional job in the industry."

"Remind me, are you doing this for yourself or for In Yeop?" Ji Hyo chided. Just hearing In Yeop's name excites me!

Ahhhh Hwang In Yeop -- South Korea's hottest idol/actor today! I'm his self-declared number one fangirl. I've been there since his earliest days in the industry. I remember the first time I saw him.

 

FLASHBACK

It was around 4-5 years ago, I just moved to Seoul to start college. I decided to roam around and explore my neighborhood since it was my first time staying in Seoul. I have to figure out the location of convenience stores, markets, clinics, police stations, and other neighborhood facilities. I found myself infront of the ONEKSTAR Entertainment building after a few minutes of walking. As I looked around, I saw a tall, devilishly handsome guy walking out of the main door. He is accompanied by a guy in a tuxedo who looked sort of like a manager. Before getting inside a black van, he noticed me staring. I quickly looked away to continue my walk. Strange, I thought. He's so good-looking, he must be a celebrity. Did I just witness my first celebrity sighting? OMG! Seoul is amazing!

I decided to continue my walk further down the street. However, after a few minutes of walking, I was surprised when I felt a metal poke my back.

"Give me your bag or I'll shoot my gun." I heard a man with a coarse voice mutter behind my back. I looked around, but there weren't any people within the vicinity. I gulped.

"Please, have mercy. I just arrived Seoul and I don't have a lot of money with me. If you take my money, I'll just starve." I begged.

"Shut up. Just give me what I'm asking for." The man stubbornly replied. Fearing for my life, I had no choice but to give my bag. As soon as he reached it, he ran for it. As he ran, I shouted for my life, hoping that someone will come to my aid. I started running after him, but I was surprised when I a guy started chasing after him. None of us were able to keep up with the thief, so we ended up stopping and catching our breath.

"I'm sorry I didn't catch him." A guy muttered as he breathe.

"It's fine. Thank you for helping me. I'd like to treat you to a meal to pay you back, but that guy took everything I have." I said. He shook his head.

"No, don't. I'm sure you haven't eaten. I'll just treat you first. I'll help you report the incident to the police station after." He offered.

"I'm sorry, I think I didn't catch your name. What is it?" I asked, making sure to take note of his kindness.

"Hwang In Yeop." He muttered.

END OF FLASHBACK

 

I'll forever remember that day. Even though it was unfortunate, I was lucky enough to meet In Yeop. Actually, I didn't know he just started modeling that time. I found out that he was a model when I saw his billboard few months after the incident. Sadly, we didn't keep in touch. But I decided to support him with all I can because I'm grateful for what he did. Since then, I used to go to his fashion shows to cheer him on. I was active on a lot of online forums and websites of the fandom, and I'd participate in organizing events for our dear In Yeop. Yes, someday I definitely wanna work with him.

"In Yeop is my soul mate." I replied to Ji Hyo. She just smirked as she gulped down her second helping. 

"Ya, I'm serious. I told you about that day. I fell in love with him." I continued, but Ji Hyo ignored me as she checked her phone.

"Wait, Se Jong, check this out. I saw this in FaceWeb." Se Jong gave me her phone, urging me to check out what's on her screen.

An online dating coach? I've never come across a job like this, especially a whooping six-digit monthly salary!                    

An online dating coach? I've never come across a job like this, especially a whooping six-digit monthly salary!

"What do you say, Se Jong?" Ji Hyo asked. I was still thinking about this opportunity. Is this something I can do? No way.

"I'm not a love expert." I gave Ji Hyo back her phone as I sighed. I gobbled down another serving of her stew. Man, Ji Hyo. This stuff you made is delicious.

"Ofcouse, you're not. You haven't had a boyfriend. The closest thing you have to a boyfriend is your friendship with Kyung Soo." She teased.

"Shut up, why are you making fun of our friend! Kyung Soo is our dear friend, he's been there for us since our first year in college." I replied.

"Anyway, just consider it. Even if you haven't had any relationships yet, I'm sure your love for In Yeop plus all the romantic korean dramas you've watched are enough." Ji Hyo said as she fiddled with her phone. What she said sunk in me.

If I do apply for this job, what can I offer? What's my idea of love? Of relationships? How am I going to handle this on my own?

"If you're done, let's clean, alright?"

"Alright." I replied.

--------

 

Seoul. Se Jong's Residence. Evening.

I kept on looking at the job ad poster Ji Hyo sent me this morning. After Ji Hyo left for her errands, I was stuck in my own place filled with my own thoughts. I need a job, I thought. I've already applied to a lot of job listings online, but there's too much competition. I just can't wait around to land the perfect job. This is an opportunity for me.

I kept thinking about the idea of relationships. It's true, I haven't been in a relationship. I guess I was too busy making ends meet -- trying to graduate and all. I've also been busy supporting In Yeop. I guess the love I feel for him isn't the same as the relationship-level as of now, but I won't turn him down if it turns out that way. Tee hee.

Oh, you should know one more thing about me. I'm also an avid drama fan. Over the past few years, I've watched countless of romantic primetime dramas as kind of an escape. I also love how I can experience love and heartbreak through korean dramas without actually experiencing love and heart break. They also taught me a lot of things, like how Crash Landing Onto You showed how commitment and sacrifice is the ultimate love language, or how Start Up showed that the right person is the one who will lift you up and make you a better person. They shaped the way I see a relationship and love -- I want that ideal relationship. I want that prince-charming, soulmate, kdrama-esque kind of love. 

See, I do know a little about love! Is this enough to be an online dating coach? 

My thoughts were disturbed by the sudden ring of my phone. I checked and it was a notification.

"Due next week: Rent, grocery, utility bills." I read out loud. I sighed as I placed my phone back on the table.

I guess this is reality. I can't really afford to talk about love, except for when it's a job. I have bills to pay, and my part time job barely covers it. I have to somehow help my parents support myself since the economic crisis took a toll on my family's finances. Plus, they're getting older. My brother, Han Se Hun, went to New Zealand about three months ago. My parents gave most of their savings for my brother for his pocket money, in hope that he'll be able to find a job and bring money to the household soon, but the last time we heard from him he's still looking for a job. Needless to say, we really need money if we want to keep the things we currently have in our lives.

Facing my laptop, I hovered the cursor over the link and clicked it. It took me to a new site where I have to fill up a form.

I shouldn't second guess. Fake it 'till I make it. If I find it hard, I'll just quit it. Plus, it's just an application, I can be rejected again, you know? I can opt not to accept if I change my mind.

I filled it up with my details as I scroll down. After finishing, I stared at the "submit" button, pondering if I should continue my application. I still have a chance to back out, I thought.

My phone rang again, surprising me. I took my phone to check the notification. It was a text from Kyung Soo.

We're going out tomorrow with Ji Hyo, okay? Let's celebrate my birthday.

I replied with an "Ok" sticker before going back to my laptop screen. I was startled when the screen showed a different page.

Thank you for applying! We'll get in touch with you once we consider your application. You may reach out to us via this email ([email protected]).

My eyes widened in shock as I found myself suddenly standing up, screaming.

"WHAT THE F***!!!"

 

 

---- Ro Woon's POV----

Seoul. Ro Woon's Residence. Evening.

I laid down my sofa as he wait for manager hyungnim to come inside the house. I just had a long day of rehearsal for our next album. Me and my bandmates in SF96 have been working hard in the past few weeks to complete the album, and we're planning to release it next week. As expected, our rehearsal time for comeback stage has doubled.

I heard a door close and I looked over to check if it was hyungnim.

"Kyung hyungnim, I haven't had any luck in the job application I posted in FaceWeb." I complained. He took his glasses off as he approached me and sighed.

"I told you, you're gonna get in trouble once the company finds out you want to date. I'm warning you." He replied. I laid down the sofa and opened the TV, putting my phone close to my chest.

"I told you, hyungnim. I need you to help me out. I even planned it out. I'll use your name since you don't have social media accounts. I'll keep everything online and confidential. I'm not going to divulge any name. I'm not gonna show any photos." I muttered, disheartened by the lack of job applicants. Was the six-digit monthly salary not attractive enough for them?

"I know you, Ro Woon ah. You need to get what you want. It'll be pointless to stop you at this point. It'll just get worse." Kyung replied as he put his suitcase on the center table. He sat down on the couch near me.

"Just promise me, Ro Woon ah," Kyung muttered, trailing off. "Promise me what you're getting into is worth it. That it's what you want and it's for your growth."

"I promise." I replied after hesitating a bit. I don't know why Kyung is getting serious. But I really want this. I've countlessly tried to date in the past few years -- I've had my friends and bandmates as wingmen; I secretly tried online dating (I chose nice photos without showing my face -- I used Kyung's name too), blind dates, and everything else. They either didn't work out, or I got rejected. I can't figure out why they would reject someone like me. Maybe I'm too much, or maybe I'm not the one they're looking for. But one thing is for sure, I'm ready to be in a relationship for whatever reason.

My thoughts were interrupted by a "rring" I heard from my phone. It was a notification. I read.

You got one response from SeJongHan from the form "Online Job Alert.

I bolted up as soon as I read the notification. A glimpse of hope dawned on me.

"Something wrong?" Kyung asked.

With a huge smile, I replied.

"I got an application from one Han Se Jong. I'm gonna have a dating coach!"