Chapter 8 - The Council, Pt. II

Black Mamba
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

    Winter was still reeling from Karina’s kiss as they re-entered the council room. Imprints of the tryst they’d just shared lingered on Winter’s lips, thighs, and . Ghosts of a powerful, wonderful pleasure, haunting her with their unrequited nature. How was she supposed to function - let alone speak with the High Council - when thoughts of Karina’s strong, commanding hands kept playing in her head?

Inside the room, Joohyun and Seulgi remained in the same seats they’d taken before. Winter didn’t dare meet their eye, fearful that her flustered nature would show.

“We’ve come to a formal decision based on the information you’ve given us,” Joohyun said, addressing Karina. Winter had barely gotten the opportunity to process the revelation of Joohyun’s Crest. “Seulgi and I think it would be best for you to resume your training under me.”

Karina grinned broadly. “I assumed as much. I look forward to advancing my studies.”

Joohyun’s eyes then flitted over to Winter, who reflexively tensed in response. Still, she made an effort not to grab onto Karina’s hand, or to appear weak in any way. It wasn’t befitting of a Guardian.

“Kim Winter,” Joohyun said, leaning forward, lacing her fingers in front of her face. “You graduated from the Academy yesterday. Barely even a Moonlight Guardian yet, thrown into a situation that is well above your experience. How do you feel about it?”

Winter blinked, caught completely off guard by Joohyun’s question. Eventually, she managed to find her voice.

“I, well,” Winter glanced at Karina, who gave her an encouraging smile. “I’m frankly overwhelmed. There’s so much I don’t know. About the Evil, about the world outside of Pharus, about the Salmu clan... Th-thank you for asking, ma’am.”

“Yes. Becoming a bond-mate, especially when unfamiliar with the experience, can be stressful.”

Joohyun shot a glare at Karina. Winter immediately felt the overwhelming urge to pull Karina close, to protect her from that angry gaze.

Luckily, it didn’t last long, because Seulgi cut in.

“And overwhelming,” the silver-haired woman said with a roguish grin. “Trust me.”

Yet another revelation struck Winter like a Crest blast. Since Joohyun and Seulgi were married, that likely meant they were bond-mates. Meaning Seulgi had a black Crest as well, though Winter saw no trace of it on the woman’s skin. Only her dazzlingly patterned, platinum-hued Crest was visible.

Joohyun scowled, a slight pink tint on her cheeks. Winter looked away in embarrassment. Did that mean Joohyun behaved the same way that Karina did when her Crest demanded it?

“Regardless. There is much for you to learn now that you have been brought into this mess. Much of my discussion with Seulgi centered around you, Winter. Specifically what you should do next. You already have a squadron assigned, correct?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Winter said, head spinning. “I’m of the Twilight Squadron.”

Seulgi leaned forward, a curious expression on her face. “And you’re satisfied with Twilight Squadron?”

Winter nodded fervently. She really couldn’t ask for a better crew. Giselle’s attitude aside, the group’s dynamics were damn-near perfect. On and off the battlefield, they operated cohesively, smoothly, and with little internal conflict. Their duel with Evil the night prior proved that.

“Then we can give you two options,” Joohyun said, lifting a hand, flourishing her index and pointer fingers. “The first is that you remain with Twilight, engage in missions with them, and continue as if you were a normal Moonlight Guardian of your rank. If that were to happen, you’d have your bond-mate mark removed. It’s a relatively simple process, one that I’ve had to do a few times in the past. Painful, but not excruciatingly so. Of course you would also have to swear secrecy regarding my apprentice, the Evil, and everything associated with this whole ordeal.”

The bulk of Joohyun’s explanation was lost to Winter. Everything after the suggestion of having her black Crest removed had essentially become white noise. She knew the mark was likely influencing her thoughts on the matter, but this was her choice, too. The mere notion of severing her connection to the woman beside her - not just in an intimate manner, but in a social one as well - was unthinkable. Winter could never leave Karina alone again. Not after what she’d been through.

Joohyun curled her middle finger downard, leaving just the pointer up. “Or, you can join Karina, and undergo an extended apprenticeship beneath my wife.”

Winter’s mouth was suddenly very dry. Yes, leaving Twilight Squadron would be a heartbreaking move - especially for Giselle - but the opportunity was just so enticing. To train under a High Council member, working against unknown forces that the city didn’t know about? Defeating an ancient threat, protecting people from the very monsters that had destroyed Karina’s own clan? It was almost too good to be true. Those points, coupled with the fact that Karina would be left all alone if Winter didn’t agree, made the decision clear. Not easy by any means, but obvious.

“What would that training entail?” Winter asked, shifting her gaze to Seulgi.

At that, Seulgi smiled, cheeks bunching and eyes crinkling in ways that made her seem far less imposing than her wife. Winter knew better than to mistake Seulgi’s outward appearance for softness, however. The silver-haired woman was said to be just as fierce as Joohyun when the situation demanded it.

“I would be educating you in the best use of your dual Crests,” Seulgi said, her platinum markings

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter