The Lucky Talisman

The Lucky Talisman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The other week, right, I went over with a really nice emerald necklace…Do you know what she did? She threw it to my face and said that I need to try harder.”

“I think…I think…they’re spending too much time together…yours and mine.” Baekhyun concluded, struggling to keep the glass straight as he handed it to Kyungsoo.

“They’re so mean…you know…I…we…we love them right? I shower her with the best captures…my old man would have a fit if he would find out… shhh…don’t tell him anything.” Kyungsoo further confided.

“Your secret is safe with me!” Baekhyun reassured his friend, raising his glass. “To the crazy women we adore!”

“I ing swear man…I love her so much, but I never told her…no in so many words anyway!” Kyungsoo confessed, slumping on the scattered pillows on the floor and sipping the glistening brew. The mixture coated their minds, languorously offering promises, phantasms, and a never-ending decadence. The dim light from the multicolored glass lampions threw shades against the tents’ dark covers, playing tricks on the men’s minds, alluding to beautiful mistresses dancing in the smoke rising from the charcoals.

“I think you should…I think you should go over there…and speak your mind…and if she doesn’t get it…well…her loss. I mean you…you are a great guy…you know? You do your bit for the clan, you make enough, you have this great tent…” Baekhyun slurred, pointing his finger around the pavilion, coming back from his elation.

“You know what…this…this is why I trust you with these things. You’re good with the “heart” matters. And you know what else…I’m going there now.” Kyungsoo stood up, regaining some balance and straightening up his leather waistcoat, headed towards the tent opening.

“Wait…I’m coming with you…as your witness…in case things get serious…you know…like a chaperone…and also…if her sister is around, you’ll need some protection.” Baekhyun shouted and grabbing his hat he followed his friend in their nocturnal incursion.

The camp was silent, apart from eerie crickets sound accompanying the dark. Most fires were out, and folks were making their way back into the comforts of their tents and caravans. In the far end of the site, a young couple, shying away from prying eyes, was discovering the first thrills of love, on the other end, the sharp cry of a child rippled across breaking the tranquility.

After unclipping your adorned earrings, you started unraveling your heavy braid. Mindlessly, you dragged the brush over your plaited strands of hair, looking past the image reflected in the mirror. Your green sequined Kurti mosaicked with the candlelit interior of your tent, blurring lines and shifting all in a bokeh of colors.  

Old, buried thoughts reached through the stained glass, disrupting your entire being, grabbing you on a journey you seldom wanted to embark on.

The ground trembled and smoke was seen on the horizon, billowing in great plumes from the ground up high reaching the clouds. Uneasy, you exchanged glances with your sister, an unspoken agreement to urge the clockwork horses, you rode faster. The smoke came from the same direction as your clan had traveled, a half day’s ride ahead of you.

Making haste, you ran without stop, the same instinct driving you both to keep going. As dusk laid, you reached the camp. Smoldering wreckage of twisted metal and flames was all your eyes could tell you, you tried to make sense of the scene before you, but your mind refused to acknowledge what your heart knew.

Your clan was gone.

Numb with denial, you stepped closer, as much as the inferno would let you, your foot slipping on something in the dirt and glancing down to see what caused your stumble, you picked-up the object.

Your mother’s talisman.

Anguish brought you to your knees, silent tears coursing down your face as you held onto the broken necklace and your sister, both of you watching the flickering flames.

Night fell as you held vigil, the fires dying down, leaving ablaze coals and ash. It felt as if a dream had taken you both, a dream where darkened gold scales were rattling in the air, engulfing you in an embrace that , not fear but comfort, and lifted you through the clouds, leaving behind sorrow and desolation. You woke up with your sister by your side, surrounded by luxurious layers of covers and embroidered pillows, under a tall pavilion, draped in burgundy panels, pierced here and there, allowing golden shards of light to bathe the room. If not for the ache in your heart, you would’ve thought you’re home.  

…………………………………..

A shuffle outside your tent pulled you back from the swarm of memories swamping your thoughts. Reaching for the Khanjar dagger strapped on your thigh, you unsheathed it, stilling by the entrance, waiting and slowing down your heartbeats. As soon as the tent cover opened, letting the brisk air of the evening hitting your face, you jumped towards your assailant. Your blade skillfully placed at the intruders’ neck, with their arm twisted at their back and your knee holding them down, forcing them to gasp. Suddenly, your attention was drawn to another noise, and looking up you saw Baekhyun, eyes wide in wonder and body slightly off balance.

“Baekhyun…what are you doing here…who’s this? Kyungsoo? What on fates threads…Why are you…ugh…just get up.” You shouted at both, sheathing your dagger back in its leather holder.

“Get up!” You huffed annoyed at his inability to gather his strength to stand.

 “Why are you two lurking around my tent?” Your eyes were shooting blades, waiting for answers on their behavior.

“Ummm…Baekhyun said…that I should…he…umm…”. Kyungsoo began, looking at his friend, panic starting to spread on his face.

“You got to listen to what he has to say…I’ll…I’ll wait outside…give you two some privacy”, Baekhyun mumbled, eyeing his friend to speak up.

Arms crossed and lips drew in a straight line, you shook your head in disapproval.  

“Speak then!” You dared Kyungsoo, who kept kneading his fingers, like a child caught in a lie.

“Well, I…I came over to make sure you’re ok…Ummm and to ask…you know…to ask if you need anything.”

“I am fine, Kyungsoo. And I do not need anything. I am perfectly capable of procuring myself whatever I need.” You assured, poised with your arms still linked across your chest.

“So, if there isn’t anything else, I would like you to leave now. It’s not proper to have you in my tent, alone, this late.” Your anger transcended your words, as you pointed towards the exit.

“Right. Of course. Sorry I bothered you…I just thought…Baekhyun said…”, Kyungsoo fumbled, rushing towards the tents’ opened flaps.

Then suddenly, without turning he halted.

“Actually…you know what? No. I’m not leaving.” He spoke so softly you barely heard him.

“Wh…what do you mean you’re not leaving?” You stuttered, dumbfounded by his outrageous behavior.

“You…should…no, scratch that. You have to come with me.”

“Have you absolutely lost your mind? We’ve discussed this before. It has been agreed that we’ll get to know each other first, I was given time. That when I’d grown more comfortable around the clan, I was to follow you.” You tried hastily to explain it all in one breath, as if afraid of being interrupted.

“This is ridiculous…we’re drifting apart and becoming more estranged if anything. At this pace, we’ll never be together.” Kyungsoo argued disheartened.

“Well maybe is for the best.” You concluded and instantly regretted saying it out loud.

“You don’t mean that,” Kyungsoo whispered, defeated. “I won’t give up on us. “And without offering any warnings, he grabbed your arms, and in a swift move, he threw you over his shoulder and made his way out, with you too shocked to react.

Baekhyun followed him, just as stunned as you were, carefully tiptoeing around you too, trying to read any clues as to how the events unfolded such, lowering his head and twisting it to reach your face upside-down resting on Kyungsoo’s back.  

“Are you sure that you want to do this Soo? You know that once she’s in your tent …that’ll be it…you won’t be able to change anything.” Baekhyun argued, starting to understand the extent of his friends’ actions.

“Yes! Finally…someone rational. He’s right. If you do this…then you’re stuck with me and believe me boy…I’ll make your life hell.” You unsuccessfully tried to convince him, shuffling over his shoulder, only to feel him stiffening his hold, digging his fingers in the sides of your hips.

“I don’t care…I don’t care if you won’t speak to me EVER…It’ll be quiet. For once.”

As the commotion grew in intensity, one by one, vardos and tents’ lights started to break the darkness and to your despair, lamenting babas also made their appearance, strutting their flowery skirts and disheveling their braided tresses, they began throwing themselves in your way, arms in the air and cursing at Kyungsoo. Now everyone knew. There really was no return point.

Kyungsoo arrived at his tent and placing you carefully on the ground,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter