It Had to Be You

Look for Tomorrow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She heard his breathing. Hot breath into . His tongue skimmed past her teeth lingering over her lips. And then he did it again. Namjoo felt like she was melting. Her belly warm.

Some feelings she never knew of before.

She gasped when he pecked her cheek and kissed her neck. It tickled, but it felt good. Her heart rammed faster, then her eyes shot open.

“Jongin. Jongin. Wait.” Squeezing his shoulders, she ushered him back.

His chest pounced. He was breathing fast and hard. Face as badly flushed as hers.

Crossing an arm over her chest she massaged her shoulder. Namjoo wasn’t sure whether to feel guilty or wronged. He probably didn’t even mean to go all the way.

“I…I don’t think I’m ready yet.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…” He reddened.

Having no idea how to proceed, Namjoo squeaked, “Can we just lay down? I’m tired.”

Jongin blinked surprised at the suggestion. She didn’t wait leaving him still on the floor of her apartment. Climbing into bed Namjoo drew the blanket up to her neck. So comfortable she sighed. Her eyes shut just momentarily, opening when she felt the blanket being adjusted on her. It was Jongin.

Patting the bedside, she boldly asked, “Want to lay down?”

“I can sleep on the floor.” Jongin offered.

“Cockroaches might come out.” Namjoo watched his eyes hover over the wooden flooring fact checking her lie. For effect, she added, “I’m not scared of you.”

“Maybe you should.” Yet he eyed the empty spot. Giving in to the comfort of the bed over the hard floor, he crept up to lay beside her but didn’t get under the blanket. The mere presence of him made her nerves tingly, but she didn’t despise it.

Shifting onto her side she faced him. Breaking the ice with, “When was your first time?”

His lips cracked open befuddled by such a private question. “What kind of question is that right now? Seriously.”

“Well, I’m asking, so you should tell me.” Namjoo encouraged. “So?”

Rubbing his hand over his face, he mumbled, “I don’t think this is the kind of thing you’d want to know.”

“So, you’ve never lost it?”

“Hey!” He shot immediately turning to her. Namjoo giggled amused. Sighing, he asked, “Honestly?”

“Yea, honestly.” She shrugged.

“Law school. My first girlfriend. We were celebrating for completing our first semester. I had too much to drink.” Glancing at her from the corner of his eye, he said, “You saw her.”

“Me? I’ve never seen you with a lady.” Namjoo frowned.

“Outside the courthouse. Think about it.”

“Oh!” Her eyes widened. Then loudly, “Really?!” Chuckling, she hit his shoulder, “Why, you really got around.”

“She got married to Hangyeol.”

“What a small world.” Namjoo commented.

“They’re getting a divorce though.” Jongin informed. “And they have a kid.”

Namjoo’s mouth went more oval the juicier information he dropped.

“Then,” she joked, “do you have a secret kid somewhere?”

She laughed when he scowled. Reaching over he flicked her forehead. Covering her face, she complained.

Cooling down Jongin wondered rather solemnly, “Why don’t you paint anymore?”

“I don’t know.” Namjoo replied. “I can’t feel anything when I sit there.”

“But you painted me.”

Scoffing, she told, “That was random.”

“Really?”

The quiet laid itself in the gap between them before she admitted, “No.” Trying not to look at him as she confessed, “I told you, I saw you in the paper one day, and it felt like you being there was a sign. You won, so I thought I had to meet you no matter what.”

“Then I’m glad.”

“What do you mean?” She looked at him questionably.

“I had doubts about whether I wanted to continue my job, so I’m glad I didn’t make the wrong choice. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have cared about me, right?”

“I wouldn’t have looked twice.”

She laughed. He laughed.

Namjoo dozed off sometime between their chatter, but when she awoke it was somewhere in the AM. Jongin was gone, so she sat up dazed. Not sure whether she’d dreamt about him being there. Groggy, she got up with a sigh.

The raw pain from her swollen ankle and the cuts on her feet woke her up fast. Groaning she stumbled from the room. Sun wasn’t up yet. Darkness still radiated through the windows in her apartment, moonlight peeking inside as she stepped out. Blankly heading into the bathroom, she washed up feeling better when she completed her morning ritual.   

Now, time to recapture yesterday’s happenings, see who had called or not. But she didn’t remember where she’d put her phone. Realizing a tad late, she didn’t have with her. If she’d left it at home, it was home. Or perhaps at the hotel dressing room, which meant it was at home.

Cursing, Namjoo subconsciously glanced toward the ripped couch sighting some oddly shaped shadow by it. The film roll spun in fast forward bringing back Jongin in her apartment. Her head swiveled in the other direction to find him in her kitchen watching her. Standing tall and handsome against the counter drinking out of her pink mug.

“Morning.” He called out.

Her heart raced and she forgot all thoughts pertaining home troubles.

Slowly trudging toward him, she said, “There’s a chair, you know.”

“Bad coffee.” He commented following her to the table. “Do you want a cup?”

“After you finish that.”

“Why not? We can share.” Her eyes drifted up to him as he set the mug down. “We even kissed.”

Namjoo tried not to let her face heat. “You mean…we’re together?”

Jongin breathed a laugh she interpreted as making fun of her. Sitting down he asked, “You want me to spell it out for you?”

Covering her ears, Namjoo shook her head. “Don’t! It makes me cringe!”

He cracked up humored. Glowering, Namjoo snatched the mug drinking from the opposite side his mouth had touched.

“I just realized; you don’t have food.” Jongin told.

“I haven’t exactly been living here.” Namjoo flatly reminded.

“We should go out later.” Jongin suggested.

“We can just eat out.” Namjoo combated.

“We’ll go out to grocery shop.” He stated adamantly.

Recalling his duffel bag, Namjoo asked, “Exactly how long are you staying?”

“Until I know he won’t come here looking for you.”

“Munho?” Namjoo’s brows raised. Brushing him off, she emphasized, “He won’t hurt me. You’re the one who should watch out for him.”

“I just want to know you’re safe.”

◘⸞⸟⸞⸟⸞◘

Coast was clear when they left the building. Daylight was in full power. Several customers were visiting the tailor shop today, but none of them familiar faces. Getting into his car Jongin drove to the mart with a list tucked in his pocket.

On the way he hummed to a tune on the radio, a hand restlessly tapping his thigh. A peek and he noticed Namjoo peering out the window, her hands on her lap. Not in close

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter