Chapter 1

Give Me Love

Chapter 1


“She’s awake!”

“Kwangsoo, get your up now!”

“Aigoo, you don’t want to piss off the Archangel again now, do you?”

Upon the mention of the Archangel, Kwangsoo forces himself to open his eyes to see Jaesuk and Sechan peering down at him, one laughing and one unimpressed. Fumbling upward from the piece of cloud on which he was blissfully sleeping, his long limbs take a while to sort themselves as for the painfully uncoordinated six-foot-two angel as he stands upright. 

“What? She woke up?” 

Suddenly fully awake, he shoves Jaesuk and Sechan out of the way to run full-speed towards the gates, only to almost crash into Somin, who narrowly dodges his body at the last minute. 

“What’s up with him?” asks Somin, sauntering towards a laughing Sechan and a chuckling Jaesuk.

 

“Jennie’s awake.”

_________________________________________

 

Jennie knows she’s not dreaming, which confuses her even more. 

Where the am I?

Everything around her is white - the walls are white, the lights are white, the sofa she is sitting on is white, and the glass floors her feet are perched on only reflect the bright white that emanates from below. Feeling herself starting to panic a little, she instinctively taps everywhere on her body in an attempt to find her iPhone, only to realize that she has somehow changed into a white outfit she doesn’t remember. Why am I wearing a matching white top and pleated skirt? Now I definitely did not put myself in something this matchy-matchy...

Before she can process another thought, a man runs into the room and stops in front of her, panting incredibly loudly as he tries to catch his breath. With his hands on his knees as he looks at Jennie and heaves a big sigh of relief, he extends to his full height as he finally introduces himself. 

“Hello,” he pants but manages to give her a genuine smile, “my name is Lee Kwangsoo. I am the angel in charge of supervising you during your stay here and making sure that you are all comfy and caught up. Let’s head up to the Archangel’s office together, shall we?”

Jennie glares up at the man smiling at her and stands up to reach out to his large outreached palm, which she gingerly shakes. 

“Where on Earth am I?” 

“Aishh, how did I forget the most important part?” Kwangsoo motions for her to sit back down on the couch as he takes a seat beside her. He takes a breath, before telling her more softly, “You’re not on Earth, Jennie-ah, you’re in heaven.”

Jennie’s big eyes stare right back at Kwangsoo’s friendly ones.

“Well, actually not heaven just yet,” he makes a face, “but close enough. Come on,” he grabs her hand, “the Archangel is waiting for us and we’re already late!” 

__________________

“Kim Jennie,” swiveling his chair around, the Archangel looks up from the folder he’s holding at her in greeting, “I see Kwangsoo has already explained to you where you are and why you’re here?”

Jennie stares back in disbelief. “Where on Earth am I?”

The Archangel shoots a reprimanding look at Kwangsoo, who, standing behind Jennie, groans and looks down at his feet.

“Jennie-ssi, you’re here because we can't decide whether you deserve to be let into heaven, or if you should be sent down to purgatory to right the wrongdoings from your lifetime. I see you were very famous, a popular idol -- oh wow, Blackpink. You lived a life of luck and privilege, haven't you?" He arches an eyebrow.

"Here's the thing. Your life stopped too early--and actually" he pauses, "a bit too early for our liking."

The Archangel clasps his hands, "We think that you could have redeemed yourself if things had not played out this way. You deserve a second chance. An opportunity for redemption.”

“I need redemption? Me?” Jennie shakes her head, “I’ve been a good person my whole life? I don’t think I’ve ever done anything wrong.”

“Well, let’s see.” he his finger as he flips through the pages in her file, "It says here that you’re guilty of excessive vanity, overindulgent materialism, stubborn pride, and … let’s just say an overall unwillingness to appreciate what actually matters.”

Still in shock, Jennie stares back blankly at the figure behind the gold-trimmed desk.

“What am I doing here then?” she gives up and asks.

“Well actually, if Kwangsoo had done his job right, he would have explained that you’re in the guardian angel wing of our headquarters. You’re becoming a guardian angel, Jennie.”

Kwangsoo steps forward and taps her shoulder, “Come on Jennie, let’s go now.” He bows at the Archangel before opening the door for her, “I’ll tell you more outside.”



 

“And Kwangsoo,” the Archangel swivels his chair around, “that’s three strikes. You’re on cleanup duty."