the end.

children of the moon and the stars

Once long ago, there stood two kingdoms. One was blessed by the heavenly moon; the other was guided by the starry river in the heavens. Despite the close proximity of the two kingdoms, never once had a war been waged with each other.

That is, until there was a minor feud over their borderlands.

A farmer of the moon kingdom was busy harvesting his lemons when a fruit rolled to the side of the other kingdom. Distressed, the farmer chased the runaway lemon until he accidentally bumped into a revered knight. Instead of helping the gentle farmer, the knight proceeded to ridicule him for needlessly crossing their side of the land.

This created a ruckus between the two peaceful kingdoms.

The laypeople of both kingdoms, who were in friendly terms, exchanged vile, wicked words.

“You people of Mahafsin should learn to respect our knights!”

“We will only do so if your tin can clad heyvânât learn to respect us!”

It became a restless period filled with derision and pettiness. Never was a day that someone will not speak ill of the other, occasionally escalating into throwing anything to the other.

The rulers, worried for the safety of their own constituents, finally decided to step in the absurd fight. They both agreed to build a wall over the area where their lands meet. Not only that, both rulers stipulated that no subject of either kingdom may enter their territory without any official business. Anybody who trespasses shall be incarcerated in the other’s prison for a lifetime.

The innocent citizens of both kingdoms deflated at this unfair treaty. Families that lived in each other’s lands will now be split into two, never to see each other to their liking.

For many years since the Wall Mauer was built, there was a relative peace between Mahafsin, the kingdom of the moon, and the Vinterbrauta, the kingdom of the starry river.


Many generations later, the negative peace still persists between Mahafsin and Vinterbrauta. The subjects of each kingdom learned to maintain a safe distance from each other, never exchanging any pleasantries should they encounter each other on a road. Despite this rather cold treatment, it was certainly much better than to relive the mistakes of their ancestors.

On a fairly warm and sunny day, princess Noor of Mahafsin decided that it was a good day to admire the beautiful flower garden by the Wall Mauer.

Since the divide, the people of Mahafsin decorated their side of the wall with beautiful blooming flowers of different colors and varieties.

It was a sight for every Mahafsin dweller.

Each spring, as the cherry blossom petals fall from their trees, the flowers underneath bloomed effervescently. Each flower blooming brought joy and hope for everybody.

It was a summer day when Princess Noor visited the flower garden so the garden wasn’t as crowded as usual. Unlike everybody else, Princess Noor loved summer. It was the season where lavender, her favorite flower, blossoms beautifully. She had made sure that there was a patch where her lavenders have room to grow.

“The lavenders are looking perfect this year as well,” Noor murmured to herself, crouching to admire the flowers up close.

All of a sudden, Noor heard a scuffling sound near her. Noor knew that she was the only one in the flower garden at the time so she immediately backed away from the source of the sound.

Her heart beat fast, her breathing became labored as a person, clad in armor, emerged from the bushes. When the person rose and stood up, Noor immediately recognized them.

“Sooyoung?”

Sooyoung froze in her tracks.

“… P-Princess Noor…?”

“J-Just now… where you…?” Noor asked, drifting off.

Sooyoung immediately prostrated to the royal princess. “Please forgive my insolence!”

Noor noticed the small hole in the Mauer where Sooyoung came from. “Ha Sooyoung, rise.”

Despite the command, Sooyoung did not move. “I beg of you, Your Highness. I merely talked to my friend at the border. I am not conspiring with the ene—”

“Knight Ha Sooyoung of the Imperial Guard, I command you to rise,” Noor repeated, her voice as cold as an icicle.

The knight slowly rose, eyes not able to meet the royal princess’s.

“Princess Noor, allow me to explain. I really just talked to my—”

Noor raised her palm, stopping Sooyoung from talking. “No need to continue, Knight Ha.”

Noor walked closer to the small hole in the wall. She wondered for how long has the hole had been there, and why was it that she only noticed it now.

Sooyoung gulped in fear. She knew of the repercussions of being seen crossing the border – even more so, she was seen by a member of the royal family.

“Knight Ha.”

“Y-Yes, Your Highness?” Sooyoung croaked.

“I am willing to overlook all of this.”

This stunned the knight. A princess, willing to let go of a crime committed by a member of the Imperial Guard?

“Princess?”

Noor turned around and grinned. “I am not going to tell no one of this.”

Sooyoung heaved a sigh of relief. “Thank you, Your Highness. How can I ever repay you?”

Noor took another peek at the hole in the wall. She noticed a cloaked person just beyond the divide.

“Quite simple, Knight Ha,” Noor continued, stooping behind the bushes.

“Your Highness?!”

 “Keep mum of what I am about to do. Guard and protect me, as you have sworn in front of the king and queen of Mahafsin.”

“I… I understand, Princess.”

“I won’t be gone for too long. Rest assured I will not stay too long for your comfort.” Noor shot Sooyoung her most brilliant smile. “Be at ease, knight, and learn to trust your liege, hm?”

Sooyoung saluted to her. “Yes, Your Highness.”

Noor took a deep breath and carefully crawled in the small hole. In the corner of her eye, she still saw that cloak figure not too far ahead.

Being “sheltered” all throughout her life, so to speak, she never got a glimpse of what was further ahead of the Wall Mauer. Now that the opportunity presented itself to her, Noor knew she had to take it or she would never have it again.

As she crawled out of it, the hooded figure turned around and noticed her coming. Noor got up and dusted her white and gold garb, flashed her a smile in hopes that this person isn’t hostile as the knight in that old tale.

“Hey, there. Don’t be scared, I am of no harm to your person, stranger,” Noor cooed. “I am Noor, princess of Mahafsin. Nice to meet you…?” Noor held out her hand, waiting for the other to shake it.

The person slowly unfurled her black hood, revealing a fair-skinned, jet-black haired beauty with eyes like honey.

“I-I am… P-Penelope… of…” the stranger replied, her words taken by the wind.

“Come again?”

“Penelope, princess of Vinterbrauta,” she meekly repeated, shaking Noor’s hand.

“For someone whose choice of colors are too dark, you have a rather bright name,” Noor commented.

Penelope’s cheeks turned a shade of red. “F-For someone w-who is too bright, your name is enigmatic.”

Noor laughed. “I get that all the time. My name is rather unique, even in other lands.”

“Princess Noor, I must apologize for interrupting but someone is coming,” Sooyoung said, her voice muffled by the plants in the garden.

“Oh my, our first meeting is cut short. I am afraid I must leave our encounter at this,” Noor sighed, shaking her head.

Penelope directed her gaze somewhere else. “Alas, it is what it is, Princess Noor.”

Noor chuckled. “Ah, but I think I can arrange for a more… proper meeting for the two of us.”

The statement made Penelope’s brows to rise. “Oh? Well, I am hoping that will happen.”

“I’m sure it will, Princess Penelope. For now, I must bid goodbye.”

end.