- 4 - Unexpected Firsts

The Transfer

Despite being the last to sleep, Heejin was the first to wake up.

She couldn't help but be relieved as she looked to her left and right and see that both Yves and Gowon were still knocked out.

She honestly had no clue on how she was supposed to explain to her best friends that the girl she despised so quickly was now suddenly her girlfriend after one night. So, by waking up a bit earlier, Heejin hoped she'd come up with something by the time they gathered for breakfast.

She got ready as quietly as she could and tip-toed out of the room.

As she walked to the Great Hall, she was grateful that no one had come up to ask her about her date with Hyunjin. However, to no surprise, she heard the whispers.

"Heejin and Hyunjin..."

After much thought, Heejin realized that their names actually compliment the other quite well when mentioned together (as long as her name is said first though).

By the time she entered the Great Hall, she was not shocked at the lack of students seated inside considering the time. And so, another wave of relief came over her considering the fact that she'd be able to come up with a plan without much distraction.

-----

She couldn't stop her leg from shaking as she watched more and more students entering the Great Hall, none of which being her best friends.

Even though she had a plan for her reveal, it didn't make her any less nervous. 

Trying to make it less nerve-wracking, Heejin made her plan simple. As soon as Yves and Gowon sat down, she was just going to say it bluntly, right away. Probably not the best idea, but she'll find a way to handle their reactions.

At last, she sees the duo walking in and waves them over in an instant.

Okay. This is it, she thinks as the others sit down.

"I'm-"

"Jeon Heejin!"

The Ravenclaw jumps at the tone of Yves' voice.

"You had us worried sick!" Yves wails. "Not only did we not see you return last night, but you weren't even there in the morning and here I thought you hated her! Y-You're too young and naïve, Heej!"

Heejin's eyebrows furrow at the last sentence and looks at Gowon in hopes of an explanation. The blonde leans in and whispers, "You know how she is, being all overprotective of us. She thinks... she thinks you spent the night with Hyunjin..."

Heat rushes to Heejin's cheeks at the insinuation.

"Oh my-NO Yves," she panics as she lowers her voice. "W-We certainly did not do any of that."

Still a bit suspicious, Yves starts to look around the hall.

"Did she do something to you, Heej? Do you need me to-I'll go beat her up right now," she says as she suddenly spots Hyunjin approaching them. Heejin glances behind herself to see the transfer as well and immediately turns back to her friends. She had to confess now before Hyunjin reached them.

"She didn't do anything bad, I swear! I-It's just that we're dat-" Heejin stops as she feels a hand on her shoulder.

Apparently Heejin's words went in one ear and out the other as she sees Yves sit up straighter and narrow her eyes. The tall Ravenclaw was ready to verbally go off on Hyunjin, but came to a halt at the Slytherin's next words.

"Hey baby," Hyunjin says casually before leaning down and placing a peck on Heejin's forehead.

Simultaneously, the Ravenclaw trio as well as anyone else who had witnessed the action felt their jaw drop at the sight.

Once Hyunjin takes a seat beside her, Heejin breaks out of her momentary shock and sees her friends' eyes go back and forth between her and the Slytherin.

"Surprise..." Heejin says cautiously, unsure of what Yves and Gowon were going to say next.

The possibilities were endless in Heejin's mind. 

"I WON!" Gowon yells suddenly as she stands from her seat, grabbing everyone's attention. Then, she points to her girlfriend who was sitting at the Slytherin table, "Olivia! Give me my 20 dollars back!"

Heejin didn't know what to say at that. Although she couldn't believe that her friend had yet again made a bet on her love life.

She made a bet that I would get with Hyunjin?!?

"WHY?" she hears Olivia yell back. 

Gowon looks to both Heejin and Hyunjin, "Should I yell it out or do you guys want to announce it on your own terms?"

Honestly, Heejin wasn't sure. She never had to reveal such a thing in the past. To tell her friends is one thing, but to the whole school? She had no clue on what she wanted to do so she had no choice but to turn to Hyunjin for help.

As soon as she saw the mischievous glint in Hyunjin's eyes and her smug smile, she had a feeling that she was going to regret giving the Slytherin the final say.

She watched in fear as Hyunjin stood up on top of the seating bench.

"Sorry to bother you all!" Hyunjin yells. "I just wanted to let you know that I am extremely lucky!"

Hyunjin glances down to meet Heejin's eyes as she says her next words with a soft smile, "To get to call the very smart and very beautiful Jeon Heejin my girlfriend!"

Then, Hyunjin jumps off the bench and gently grabs Heejin's hand before briefly kissing it.

A chorus of aw's, defeated sighs and angry grumbles quickly followed throughout the Hall and Heejin couldn't stop the blush forming on her cheeks, one that she tried to hide immediately. 

Once Hyunjin sits back down, Yves has a huge smile on her face.

"Well, well, well. Now this was a twist," Yves says happily. "I guess I have no choice, but to give you two my blessing. I've never seen Heejin blush before!"

"I guess there's always a first time for everything, right?" Hyunjin replies with a laugh.

-----

The Slytherin's statement seemed to haunt Heejin throughout the rest of September as she experienced many firsts.

1. When she was on her way to class.

She was on her way to one of her lessons when chills went down her spine as someone approached her left side.

"Where are you heading, baby girl?"

She feels Hyunjin press her lips against her cheeks and then starts walking alongside her.

It's only been a few days into their "relationship," but Heejin has yet to get used to the other girl's nicknames nor affectionate pecks. They always catch her off guard and it takes her a couple of seconds to remember that she can't let her shock be apparent. People would start to get suspicious if Heejin kept acting like Hyunjin's actions were without reason.

"Not that you need to know, but I'm going to DADA."

"DADA? You do remember that I'm a newbie here, right? I have no idea what that means."

"Oh I know," Heejin smirks. "I just like seeing you look confused."

Hyunjin sends her a fake smile, "Well aren't you such a great girlfriend?"

"I'd be the best," Heejin boasted before lowering her voice. "But due to our situation, you won't get to reap those benefits."

"I think I'll survive," Hyunjin says before the pair turn into another long hallway, one that was a bit more crowded. "Speaking of our situation, has it been working?"

As they walk, they were aware of the small glances that the other students were trying to do subtly, but were glaringly obvious. However, that was all the students really did, just look and whisper. Ever since Hyunjin's grand reveal in the Great Hall a few days ago, no one would approach Heejin.

It was just as she wanted. She was still the center of attention, but it was now two-fold whenever Hyunjin's with her and the crazy amount of romantic advances had dissipated greatly.

Granted, she was with Hyunjin at the moment so no one in their right mind would make any attempt. But even when Heejin was with her friends or by herself in the library, she was not met with any advances.

Well, except those from Ryujin.

"For the most part, it has," Heejin answers. "Apparently, Ryujin can't get the hint. You actually might know her, she's in your house."

Speak of the devil, Heejin thinks as she spots Ryujin a bit further down the hall. She nods towards the girl in order for Hyunjin to take notice of the other Slytherin as well. Heejin knew it worked as she sees the taller girl's eyes narrow.

There was a shift in the air and Hyunjin's expression became hard for Heejin to read.

"Has she done anything that makes you uncomfortable?"

The shorter girl was taken aback at the sudden change in Hyunjin's tone, so she just shakes her head in response.

As they near the area in which Ryujin was at, she feels an unfamiliar warmth in her hand.

The Ravenclaw peeks down and sees that her left hand was now intertwined with Hyunjin's right.

This was the first time Heejin held hands with anyone like this. It was so intimate.

As she looks back up, she notices that they were now close enough to which Ryujin could acknowledge the pair if she wanted too. And of course, she did.

"Hey Heejin, you're looking as beautiful as always," Ryujin says flirtatiously before checking Heejin out. Hyunjin coughs causing Ryujin to shift her focus, "Oh... And hi to you too, Kim."

It was then when the sole Ravenclaw felt Hyunjin give her hand a little squeeze, as if trying to comfort her.

"Good morning, Ryujin. My girlfriend really is beautiful isn't she?" Hyunjin says as she looks at Heejin with a soft smile.

Heejin can't even comprehend what was happening because she feels Hyunjin kiss her cheek again, but her lips lingered a second longer than the one given earlier.

Hyunjin pulls away and turns back to the other girl, "But you do know there's more to her than just looks right?"

Wait.

It was as if Heejin was watching a silent battle between the two Slytherins before her. They were staring at each other, but Hyunjin was exuding confidence with a smirk whereas Ryujin just stood with her lips in a fine line.

What in the world is going on right now?!

"We should get going baby," Heejin says in hopes to break the tension. She was too confused at the two Slytherins to realize how calling Hyunjin 'baby' had so easily slipped out from . "I'm going to be late for Defense Against the Dark Arts."

That manages to catch Hyunjin's attention as she looks back towards her with a bright smile.

"DADA?"

Heejin nods with a smile of her own at Hyunjin's realization. The taller girl's facial expression at the moment was actually quite adorable.

Adorable?!

In an instant, Heejin stops her thoughts by looking at Ryujin and speaks casually.

"See ya," then she started to drag Hyunjin with their intertwined hands away from Ryujin as well as all the other prying eyes.

Once they were far enough, Heejin probed for an explanation.

"Care to explain that awkward tension just now?"

"Ryujin flirted with you," Hyunjin says, her tone sounding a bit bitter as she said the girl's name. "I hope she got the hint."

It was then when Heejin understood. It wouldn't make sense if Hyunjin just let people flirt with her 'girlfriend.' How did she not realize this sooner? To think that Hyunjin might have actually been jealous. There was no way. 

Or maybe...? Heejin wonders as she looks down and sees that they are still holding hands when they definitely don't need to be.

2. When she just woke up.

"Gowon, Olivia sent you flowers again!"

"It is too early for you to be yelling Yves," Heejin complains as she covers her head with her pillow.

She hears Gowon get out of bed while squealing, but then she stops abruptly.

"These aren't for me... they're for Heejin!" Gowon says a bit more excitedly.

Heejin sits up immediately, the pillow falling aimlessly to the floor, "Really?"

"Yeah, look at the card!" Gowon places the vase of flowers on Heejin's bedside table, "Your girl is truly something."

Heejin fails to hear the "Your girl" as she was too busy picking up the note. She sees hand-writing that was a bit sloppy, but was still legible.

"From the second iest person in the world. (You're the first by the way ;) ) - Hyun."

"Gosh she's the worst."

"And yet you still have a huge smile on your face," Yves smirks.

Heejin reaches up to touch her face because she didn't even realize that she was smiling. She scolds herself for reacting in such a manner. Who cares if Hyunjin sent her flowers, it's not like the flowers were anything special.

"It's no big deal," Heejin tries to play it off. "I mean, she even sent roses. How basic of her."

"Quit lying," Gowon laughs. "It is a big deal because no one has sent you flowers before and you absolutely adore roses. You don't have to downplay your excitement in front of us, Heej."

Excitement? Pff-I'm not-no... She only sent it for the act, Heejin keeps repeating to herself. Anything to do with Kim Hyunjin is meaningless and annoying. 

I do not like her.

3. When she was in the Quidditch stands.

Heejin was watching the Gryffindor and Slytherin scrimmage.

Of course, she's not entirely there for "cheering-on" (as the taller girl had requested) Hyunjin. She's also there to scout both teams in order to prepare for when she and her Ravenclaw's would face them. It was simply for strategic purposes.

Even so, she kind of had to watch Hyunjin a bit more closely because similarly to her, Hyunjin was the Slytherin's seeker. In a legitimate sense, they were truly rivals. As she watched, she hated that she understood why the Slytherin was a top prospect. Hyunjin flew effortlessly and her eyes never seemed to have lost track of the Golden Snitch whereas Heejin had lost it a few times herself.

Guess I gotta step my game up.

The scrim overall was fun to watch too. It was the classic Gryffindor vs Slytherin, but not in the old, good vs evil way. Still, it was a rivalry nonetheless so their games were always a bit scrapier.

Maybe a bit too scrapy for one player in particular.

Heejin looked down only for a few seconds, to write one of her observations of a Gryffindor player, when a voice yelled out.

"KIM! WATCH OUT!"

By the time Heejin looked up, she saw a flash of green falling from the sky. With her instincts kicking in, she managed to yell out the cushioning charm just in time. 

Before she even realized, Heejin was already making her way down to the pitch as fast as her legs could carry her. Once she was finally on the field, she ran to the huddled players in which she swears she got down there in record speed.

"Move!"

Instantly, the Gryffindor and Slytherin players made way for her.

"You're hurt?" Heejin kneels down next to Hyunjin, who was holding her shoulder. "I thought I said the charm in time!"

"You did hon," Hyunjin starts laughing. "But I think you missed the part where I got slammed by a bludger."

At that, Heejin's face became a bit more serious as she stood up and glared at the Gryffindors.

"Who. Was. It."

There was no response. 

"Who!"

Finally, a female player slowly raised her hand. 

"Jinsoul?! I am gonna-"

Heejin started to charge at the girl, but soon found herself being lifted in the air and slung over a shoulder. 

"Who the hell-Hyunjin!?! Put me-Put me down! Your shoulder!"

"It's my good shoulder," Hyunjin reassures before talking back to Jinsoul and the others. "I'm so sorry about that. She's a feisty one."

Once they were in the locker room, Hyunjin finally placed her down.

"I am not feisty!"

"Heejin, you were literally about to attack the poor girl."

"Why are you on her side?! She hurt you and you could have been severely injured!"

"Sides? I'm not on any sides! It's part of the game-"

"So!? Am I not allowed to be worried for my girlfriend?!" Heejin says with an angry huff and stomps away from the Slytherin.

4. When she was heading to the Great Hall.

By now, a few days had passed since their mini argument and Heejin was surprised, yet grateful that Hyunjin had given her some space. As of late, the other girl has always found ways to invade her thoughts and so she hoped that this short time apart would help put them at ease.

However, word had quickly spread about their small 'lover's quarrel' and so no matter how hard she tried to not think about the other girl during these past few days, the whispers would always bring Hyunjin right back up. Of course, she knew at some point that they'd have to make-up, but Heejin would rather be caught dead than be the one to apologize first.

So, for what feels like the millionth time, she tries to get Hyunjin out of her head as she makes her way to the Great Hall when suddenly she's forced to a halt.

A pair of arms had wrapped around her waist from behind her. She nearly jumped out of the person's arms in fear, but stopped as she heard the person mumble into her shoulder.

"Ahm-shory."

Heejin's body relaxes as she recognizes the muffled voice and vanilla scent, but then she crosses her arms.

Hyunjin.

"What did you say?" the Ravenclaw asks as she faces her head away from the other girl, the anger in her voice just barely noticeable.

"I said I'm sorry," Hyunjin says a bit more clearly as she lifts her head off of the Ravenclaw's shoulder.

She feels Hyunjin loosen her grip around her waist, "Can you turn around and look at me, please?" 

With Heejin being as stubborn as she is, she didn't want to. But, she notes all the eyes on them and realizes that now was the time to make-up with the girl.

"Babyyy," she hears Hyunjin whine and at that she finally turns around while still in the Slytherin's arms.

Heejin nearly regrets doing so because the sight she saw after the fact washes away her remaining anger and almost made her want to melt on the spot.

She was met with Hyunjin giving her sad eyes and an endearing little pout.

Now that's just unfair.

"Look, I'm really sorry for making you upset... and for calling you feisty, but if I'm being honest that's one of the things that I like about you. I'm sure I told you before, but I always find you very attractive when you're mad," the Slytherin teases, trying to lighten the mood.

Heejin's face gets hot and lightly slaps Hyunjin's arm at the comment, causing the taller girl to laugh. Heejin tries to wiggle out of the girl's arms, but that just makes Hyunjin pull her in a bit closer.

''But in all seriousness," Hyunjin's voice softens and meets Heejin's eyes. "You're right. I should and will always be on your side, no matter what. I'm sorry for making you think I'd choose anyone but you when that is definitely not the case. I'll always pick you."

The two stare at each other quietly for a moment, a million thoughts running through their heads.

Finally, Heejin sighs.

"I accept your apology and I'm sorry for yelling at you too," she says sincerely. "You didn't deserve that and I was just really worried. I hate seeing people get hurt."

In another world, their conversation would've ended there, but the people around them reminded Heejin of the role she's in. The relationship she's in. So, she goes on.

"You make me worried because you mean so much to me, Hyun," Heejin lets out a fake groan. "Gosh, I hate how much I like you."

For a split second, something flashes in Hyunjin's eyes, but she manages to compose herself quickly before Heejin could try to decipher it.

"Not really like me?" the Slytherin grins.

Heejin wraps her arms around Hyunjin's neck, "Fine, I hate how much I really like you."

"Good," Hyunjin leans in to plant a kiss on her forehead. "Because I really like you too."

--

"I meant it, you know?" Hyunjin speaks up as the two were seated across from each other, now eating lunch in the Great Hall. "I didn't say it just because people were watching us."

Heejin's breath hitches.

"I really am sorry for making you upset," Hyunjin finishes.

"Oh um-me too... I'm sorry," Heejin replies after a few seconds, realizing that the Slytherin was only referring to the apology for making her angry, not everything else that was said after it.

It makes her wonder what would've happened if Hyunjin meant it all...

and if she did too.

5. When she was in the courtyard.

What was normally just the trio of Ravenclaws hanging out in the courtyard during free period, it had now included two Slytherins.

Ever since Heejin and Hyunjin had started dating, Hyunjin and Olivia became fast friends. Not only were they from the same house, but now they both had girlfriends that were best friends too. Before, Olivia would only join the Ravenclaws a few times, but since Hyunjin was now added to the mix, there was someone who'd help her deal with the crazy trio.

And so, five instead of three people were now sitting on the grass.

"This ," Yves pouts. "It was cool when I had another single person, but now I'm a fifth wheel! Fifth!"

All the other girls couldn't help but laugh.

"You'll find someone one day too," Gowon reassures. "If someone like Heejin can, you can too."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Heejin pouts too as she crosses her arms.

"I'm just teasing," the small Ravenclaw giggles and so do the two Slytherins.

Then, Hyunjin wraps her arm around Heejin and starts rubbing her arm in hopes to console her a bit. Unconsciously, Heejin nearly shrugged the girl's arm off, completely forgetting that she wasn't supposed to. Although she managed to stop her movements from continuing, Hyunjin still felt the slight jerk and proceeded to lean in to whisper in her ear.

"Sorry," Hyunjin apologizes sincerely and removes her arm.

After feeling the absence, Heejin oddly felt bad. She didn't mean to make Hyunjin think she was uncomfortable. Admittedly, she actually kind of liked the warmth it provided considering the fall weather. Since she couldn't outwardly tell Hyunjin that she didn't mind having her arm around her due to the presence of their friends, she hoped her next action would convey the message.

She scoots a bit closer next to Hyunjin and grabs her arm, causing the other girl to get slightly startled. After grabbing her arm, Heejin puts it back around her shoulders but then leans her body in to rest her head on the taller girl, readjusting until they were both comfortable. 

The thought of how well they fit together flickers through her mind and she unconsciously finds herself snuggling closer to the girl. 

After a second of realization, she tells herself it's because she's cold and is simply seeking warmth. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Once in a satisfied position, she looks up towards Hyunjin to see if she was okay with it as well and to her surprise, Hyunjin was already looking at her. As she looked into Slytherin's eyes, it was as if they were trying to ask her something in silence too, but she couldn't figure it out.

"Hey lovebirds, stop staring or get a room," Olivia jokes.

That manages to break the couples' trance and Hyunjin picks up a stick with her free arm and chucks it at Olivia, "Shut up, loser."

"You can't throw, idiot!" Olivia grabs the same stick and throws it back at the girl. 

"You can't either, !"

"head!"

"Airhead!"

"That's the best you could do? HA!"

The two Slytherins keep bickering when Heejin hears Gowon speak to her.

"Can you believe these two idiots are ours?" Gowon says with affection as she looks to her respective girlfriend.

"I really can't," Heejin glances up at Hyunjin who was still arguing with Olivia. Then, she looks back to Gowon with a small smile.

I can't believe it because she isn't mine.

Not that I want her to be.


A/N: Well, well, well... the fake-dating has commenced and I think they're doing well so far. Hyunjin's such a good actor, right? And Heejin too? Wow.

So just to clarify what the listed unexpected firsts were for Heejin:

1. Holding hands with someone intimately (and seeing Hyunjin jealous?).

2. Getting sent flowers.

3. Worrying about/defending Hyunjin despite never thinking she'd ever do such a thing. (It's for the act though, ya know? hehe)

4. Back hug uwu and it was their first make-up after a fight as a couple.

5. Cuddling. (But again, it's for the act ;) and that she's cold)

Phew, this chap was a lot longer than I thought it was going to be. Were there any other firsts that you guys expected/would like to see?... Be appropriate y'all lol

See you in the next one!

- S

(Let's be moots on twitter: rv_twice5)