Chapter 1

Travel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PART I

Chicago, Illinois, USA (1929)

 

Some people say that the 1920s were marked by the undeniable state of euphoria lived after World War I, some believe it was unforgettable because it was the beginning of the women's fight for their rights, or even by the undeniable crisis that hit the United States at the end of the decade. It was a troubled historical period with a lot of ups and downs. Times of pride for some people and events that should not have existed for others.

 

Wheein, on the other hand, considers the decade remarkable because it was when she met her for the very first time. 

 

It happened when she was working. Well, kind of... Wheein’s sitting on an old stool as she rests her back on the counter with a glass of whiskey in her hand, inside one of the many underground bars enabled by Al Capone during the Prohibition Era. She’s a part of his network but she also has an autonomy that other people did not have. Wheein’s one of the best beverage negotiators in the Chicago area and has earned this title in the last couple of years. She made a point of personally accompanying each delivery so she could keep contact with her most important customers, but some of them could be extremely consuming. In that late afternoon, for example, she’s waiting for the bar's employees to unload the liquor barrels off of her truck while she takes a better look at the place.

 

The panel behind the bar is full of beverages on display, making it clear that they don’t care what an inspection, or even the police could do to them - they would just pay them to look the other way. In front of the bar there is a large hall full of tables and wooden chairs that seem like they need to be changed, but it’s all surprisingly clean for such an old place. There is also a stage up in the front which is practically glowing and filled with a brand new piano. Wheein also noticed that in the upper right corner there is a booth that for sure has a privileged view of the stage. She knows, due to the other times she had been there, that the stairs next to the bar gives access to this booth, but she had never been there before.

 

“Could they go any slower?” Wheein says ironically while she takes the glass to , drinking away the remaining liquid left in it out of frustration. “I'm really not looking forward to being seen by your customers when they start to arrive.”

 

“Sorry, we’re short-staffed today.” One of the barmans replies. “It will take a while, Miss Jung. We have orders to open and taste each barrel to make sure it is not diluted.” He says as he fills her glass again.

 

"Great, it's not like I have anything better to do." She rolls her eyes at him.

 

"Please make yourself comfortable." Joseph emerges from the back of the bar in one of his identical but perfect suits. He’s the pub’s owner. "My boy Dean here will take care of you," Joseph taps the boy’s left shoulder twice. Dean looks scared and barely seems 18, let alone 21 to be working at a bar. "I don't wanna see her glass empty, kid." He directs the last sentence directly to his employee.

 

"Joseph, hi, long time no see." She greets him with a quick hug. "Are you doubting the quality of my products or are you doing it just for the pleasure of getting your employees drunk?" She knows that the need to test the products is normal, especially nowadays, but she felt like teasing him since she’s already stuck there.

 

"I apologize for the inconvenience. We received a bad shipment a few weeks ago that almost made us shut down for a whole week. Better be safe than sorry.”

 

"This is what you get for buying with the competition." She shrugged.

 

“I hate to admit it but you're right.” Joseph sits beside her while Dean organizes the drinks on the panel inside the bar, pretending he’s not there. “I know this is not how you planned to spend your evening but you might end up enjoying it. The show will start soon.”

 

“I have no intention of staying for the show. You have half an hour.” Wheein replies politely when she sees the firsts customers walking through the door. She’s not really comfortable with how close Joseph is.

 

Wheein and Joseph have been on a date once, only one time a few months ago. He kissed her and she let him even though she knew it wasn't right for her. After that event, Wheein politely rejected him and they didn't talk about it ever since, just kept the professional and friendly relationship that they had before. Apparently, this relationship has actually been shaken considering Joseph has tried to change suppliers. But the fact that he couldn’t find someone better gave Wheein some kind of satisfaction.

 

"Right. But what do you want while you wait? Beer, wine, rum? It's all on the house today." Joseph offers. 

 

"Whiskey is fine." Wheein says. "And take some beer to my partners, they are in the back with the rest of your people." Her driver and her security, as they were known, are waiting by the truck, supervising the unloading.  

 

"Do you think it's safe to give alcohol to your driver?" Dean says after filling her glass one more time and leaving the bottle on the counter. "I mean, it’s a really big vehicle…"

 

"Are you paid to ask questions or to serve drinks, boy?" Joseph glances at his employee. "Go serve her friends, as she said." Dean leaves before he can get another scold.

 

"It's not like it’s going to kill us." Wheein thinks aloud with a smirk on her face. Joseph’s confused face tells her that she had actually spoken out loud and she rushes to correct it. "Our profession is very dangerous, we have been through worse."

 

"I'm sure you have. But look, we’re trying a couple of new singers today. They have been a hit in the city for the past few weeks, so as the great music lover I know you are, I’m sure you’re going to enjoy it.” Joseph says, trying to make his point.

 

"Yeah?" She replies indifferently.

 

“I promise you won't regret it! The opening singer has the voice of an angel and is one of the most talented women I have ever brought to this stage, hands down. After her, the main attraction sings, plays the piano and- ” he keeps rambling until Wheein interrupts him. 

 

"Thank you, but I'm not interested." She’s firm. Wheein doesn't want to be rude, but after the long day she’s had all she wants to do is finish this delivery and go home as fast as she can. “If I were you, I would check if your employees are doing the job right. In twenty-five minutes we will be leaving with that truck, whether it is empty or not.”

 

"Okay, fine, I'm going to leave you alone." By now the customers are coming in faster and getting settled on the tables closer to the stage. Joseph, as the good host he is, stands up to go welcome them. “But if you need anything, just tell me. Your pleasure is my priority. ” He winks at her and leaves towards the clients. Wheein winces once he turns away. 

 

"I really have to do everything." Wheein tells herself and stands up with the bottle of whiskey on one hand, deciding to inspect the unloading herself. She passes by Dean on her way there, he was walking - almost running - back to the bar, looking slightly more frightened.

 

"I already told you to stop messing with these boys, one of these days you will actually traumatize one of them." Wheein hears Yongsun's voice as she approaches them.

 

"What can I do if they’re all scared little s?" Moonbyul replies with a casual tone.

 

"What did you do this time?" Wheein asks as she sits next to them at the table.

 

"Nothi-." Yongsun hits her arm roughly before she can finish, interrupting her. “Ouch!”

 

"She almost scared that kid to death because he brought us beer, she acted like it was death penalty worthy crime."

 

“As it is!” Moonbyul protests. “Out of this variety of beverages the guy brings us beer? He gotta be kidding.”

 

"I told him to bring beer because I knew Byul would be mad." Wheein says with a proud smile on her face.

 

"." Moonbyul responds by punching her slightly.

 

"At least I brought this." Wheein puts the bottle of whiskey on the table and Yongsun tries to reach for it, but Wheein pushes it towards Byul. "You’re driving."

 

"So what? Do you think I'm going to kill us?” She raises her eyebrows.

 

"No, but if you hit the truck I will find a way to kill you."

 

"Whatever." Yongsun complains as she watches Moonbyul take a big sip straight from the bottle. "Ugh, how long is this gonna to take?" 

 

"If you're in such a hurry why don’t you help them?" Moonbyul teases.

 

“This is not my job. I'm just the driver here, you're the security. Bodyguard, I dare to say. You should be the muscles. Byul, come on, go help them.”

 

Moonbyul’s almost drinking away but she stops to answer. “Bodyguard is a very strong word. I am only responsible for realize the things that you don’t and take your asses out of the stupid situations you put yourselves in. I’m the brain, Wheein is the negotiator, you should be the muscles.”

 

"Hey, you guys better not get started or I'm going to be the muscle of the group just so I can kick both of your asses." Byul and Yong can be totally children sometimes, especially when they’re together. They continue their friendly banter while Wheein chooses to ignore them. 

 

A few minutes later Wheein is able to listen to the refined saxophone notes filling the place even from the distance. The show has started and she recognizes a slower version of Crazy Blues taking place on the stage. Despite being a great fan of good music that sound alone was not enough to draw her attention. But surprisingly, the strong and yet sweet voice that followed shortly awoke her interest.

 

“I can't sleep at night

I can't eat a bite

'Cause the man I love

He don't treat me right”

 

Wheein stands up carefully and follows the music towards the hall without saying a word, leaving two very confused women behind.

 

When she arrives at the bar area she sets her eyes on one of the most wonderful women she has ever seen in her very long life. Wearing a long red dress with her beautiful black hair falling over one of her shoulders as she slightly sways to her own voice. Joseph was right this time, she thought to herself, I’ve never seen someone like her on this stage. Or maybe anywhere.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter