One

July on Film

I

───── ❝ 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭 𝐚𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧 ❞ ─────

May 2019

"𝐈'𝐌 in love with you," said Wendy. Every second passing by without Irene answering is suffocating. There were countless times where the blonde imagined all the what-ifs after she said those words, but the brunette's silence is the most frightening. She can't help but think, "Did she hear me properly?", "Is this a silent no?", "Should I repeat it?", "God, she doesn't feel the same. I'm so stupid." and other palpable things in her head.

"Wannie, I—" she saw how sorry Irene's face is.

"I understand." Wendy interrupted, giving a sly smile. She didn't wait for any reason from the other end and ran away instead.

She wished she could do the same with her emotions.

After that, Wendy avoided Irene with all of her might.

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

PRESENT

"I want you to take a photo of our guest model and present your output once everyone is finished." Ms. Kim announced, clapping her hands to gather the members.

Today is Wendy's club activity. They do these kinds of things once a week, every Monday or Friday for 3 hours minimum. Wendy isn't really interested in photography, but she promised herself to get a hobby she can enjoy.

This is what Joy recommended. Their club is divided into 2, 18 members per meeting. The reason for this is, their room will be packed if they all attended at once. "Irene, you may now come in." Ms. Kim instructed.

Everyone was in awe when the brunette went inside, walking with poise, oozing with confidence. On the other hand, Wendy's mouth is agape. Her heart begins to beat rapidly, fluttering at the sight in front of her. Her Canon EOS 5DS R almost fell when she realized it is the Irene she knows. It seems like Irene didn't see her yet, which is relieving to the blonde's side. She is trying her best to hide from the latter even though they will be on a one-on-one later.

Wendy got the 18th turn after Ms. Kim did a draw lots. Being the last person to be with her made her nauseous. She keeps on thinking about what she should say or if she should just pretend she doesn't know her. Her fingers fidget as she does sample shots around the room, adjusting the camera's settings to her liking.

"I'm bored." Joy muttered, lying on the ground and using her arms as a pillow. "What number are you?" Wendy asked, clicking the shutter to capture her friend.

"16th."

"I'm 18th." the blonde said, earning a giggle from Joy.

"Okay, I'm a little sorry for you. You'll be the last one to go home." the raven-haired teased. Wendy just realized what she meant and she's not looking forward to it.

After an hour, Joy went out of the studio, she looks pleased in Wendy's point of view.

"Everything went well?" She asked her friend.

"Yup, she actually poses well. I'm speechless, she did all the job." Joy informed. "I'm still scared to approach her though," she added.

"What do you mean?"

"Her looks can kill someone." Joy joked, making Wendy chuckle. It's true, that was what she thought when she first met the brunette.

"Going home already?" the blonde asked, seeing her friend packing up her equipment.

"Yes, mom's coming home."

"That's great. Tell my regards to her." Wendy smiled. Joy's mom is always away due to her work so Wendy felt happy they can see each other again after 3 months.

"Update me, aight?"

 

 

Going inside the studio, Wendy feels like it's an eternity. The room was dark, the only source of light is from the studio lighting facing Irene. Wendy took advantage of this, wearing her hoodie to hide her face. Irene can't clearly see the photographer because of the light.

"Can you cry?" Wendy asked, Irene, seem to be caught off guard by the request.

"Like weeping?" she tried confirming.

"I just need a few tears, not weep weep." Wendy explained. "Face your body to your right, don't sit straight, just your usual comfortable composure." Irene shifted on her seat, following the instructions given by the woman.

"Turn your head in front of me." Wendy was dazed when Irene's russet eyes darted on her. Her hands begin to shake, the brunette saw this. "Are you okay?" Irene asked, standing from her seat, ready to check the photographer but her answer made her go back to her pose.

"I'm okay, please don't move." Wendy put her camera on the tripod. She rearranged the position of the lighting, checking her viewfinder from time to time to check if the atmosphere suits the mood she wants to make.

"Do you want me to help?" Irene asked once more, seeing how the woman having a hard time moving the equipment.

"No, I can manage." Wendy flatly replied, changing the settings of her camera after her lightings are placed properly. Checking her viewfinder, Wendy will not deny the brunette became prettier the last time she saw her. There wasn't any goodbye between them so her heart still beats too loud every time she studied the latter's face.

"Tell me if you feel like crying already." Wendy requested, opening her phone to check how many minutes they still have. "It will be appreciated if you can do it in a minute, like in a minute minute now." Wendy huffed.

"Imagine the most important person in your life leaving you, not saying anything. How would you feel?" after she talked, the blonde saw tears falling on her cheeks. As much as it pains her to see Irene crying in front of her, Wendy clicked the shutter.

1,

2,

3,

Wendy's alarm blared, pulling herself from the camera. "That was good. Thank you. You can go now."

At the back of Wendy's head, she can't help but think if Irene has someone she cares about, seeing the emotions she showed earlier. She was jealous, whoever that person is. After 5 minutes passed to give time for Irene to leave, she went back to the preparation room. There, she saw the shocked reaction of Irene looking at her.

"I— Ah— W-Wendy?" Irene can't find the words to say. After all this time, she was the one taking her photo.

"Irene," Wendy muttered, trying her best to keep a straight face.

"I didn't know you were the one—"

"Because I don't think it's necessary for you to know." It wasn't supposed to be toned like that, but Wendy feels agitated knowing Irene knows she is here. Wendy walked pass the brunette, gathering her equipment so she could go home.

"Can we talk?" Irene took the chance to ask.

"About?"

"What happened before?" This triggered Wendy.

"Irene, are you killing me?"

There was a pause.

"Oh, you're still here." Jisoo opened the door. She walked beside Wendy, clinging to the blonde's arms and kissing her cheek. "I thought you already went off since Joy isn't here anymore," she spoke. Jisoo looked at the other girl in the room, "You are?"

"Hi, I'm Irene." the brunette introduced herself, offering her hand to Jisoo. "I modeled for their club."

"Oh," she stared at Wendy for a second, smiling, "You're the last one, eh?" she told Wendy, indicating about the studio session. "I'm Jisoo," Jisoo leaned to Irene, whispering on her ear even though the blonde can hear everything, "I've been seducing this woman," she pointed at Wendy, "but she won't like me back, so I'm doing my best to get her," she confessed. There was a chuckle from Jisoo when she saw Irene being surprised.

"Are you done teasing her? Can we go?" Wendy in. The scene was uncomfortable to her, besides, all she wants to do is escape from the brunette in front of her. Seeing Irene brings back too many memories she wants to forget. All it does is bring pain to Wendy.

"Yes, we're having a date, right?" Jisoo dragged Wendy to go outside, stopping in the middle to look back, "Bye Irene, it was nice meeting you!"

━━━━━━━✿━━━━━━━

Irene walked around the campus, breathing some air after the confrontation with Wendy. Her mind kept on thinking why the blonde didn't introduce herself before their shoot. Not that it would change anything, but Irene could've done more. She would never see Wendy being interested in photography, but then again, almost 2 years have passed. She cursed Taeyeon for inviting her.

"I'm kind of sad, it feels like I don't know anything about her anymore," Irene muttered to herself.

"What's bothering you that you're talking with yourself?" a familiar voice said, touching her shoulders after.

"Holy , Jennie. Stop greeting me like that." she glared at her friend. Jennie only sticks her tongue out as a reply.

"Care for a coffee?" Jennie asked. "You seem down," she spoke, seeing the brunette gloomy.

"Your treat?"

"If that makes you feel better."

Irene and Jennie decided to drink at Express 999, their usual pub which serves the best coffee in town too. "The usual?" Jennie asks while Irene only nods her head.

Irene took a seat, seeing people pass by outside. She suddenly feels melancholic, her head running too many thoughts she wants to let out. Heaving a sigh, she rests her forehead on her arms, closing her eyes to rest for a second.

 

July 2017

When I first saw Wendy, the words on my head were, 'she looks so free'. If she were an angel, it would look cool if the color of her wings would be blonde, like her hair. It shines so bright that she caught people's attention, especially when she smiles. It doesn't seem like she knows what she's getting though, considering her humble attitude.

"You're Irene, right?" was the first sentence she said to me. Turns out our homeroom teacher wants me to take her on a tour. She came from Canada, she told me her family migrated thereafter her 5th grade. Now that she's a junior, she wants to finish her high school and degree here in Korea. Wendy told me she doesn't hate Canada, it's just she misses the culture she grew up here. She had tons of friends overseas, but Korea kept on pulling her back.

"I'm a blabbermouth, am I?" Wendy turned her gaze on me, giving a cheeky smile as she continued to walk.

"I don't mind," I told her truthfully.

"Are you an introvert?" It was a sudden question, but I simply said, "I guess so."

"Do you mind having a friend like me?" then Wendy stopped her tracks in front of me. Her arms are wide open.

"No, but what are you doing?" my face probably looks confused, because Wendy walked her way to me then she encircled her arms for a hug.

"Oh,"

"A celebration hug for our new friendship," she announced, pulling her head out and looking into my eyes, her smile still plastered on her lips.

 

 

She was too bright to my liking.

But I don't mind it either.