02.

Love in Midnight Aster
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

t w o

 

Kira casted a worried glance at Sujeong. The man merely nodded his head at the doors, cursing under his breath that they didn’t want to face his wrath. Wrath? She thought to herself, her lips turning dry. Exactly who was this man and why did people fear him?

 

Sujeong hissed at her, successfully snapping her out of her thoughts. Kira jumped a little in her spot before she took a notepad, although she wasn’t entirely sure what she was supposed to be doing. She paused in front of the door, taking deep breaths to calm her mind. It didn’t work.

 

Silently wishing to disappear, Kira nibbled on her lip as she opened the door. The sight of his office made her jaw drop. The office was grander than anything she’d ever seen. The hall her desk was at couldn’t compare to the size of this Baekhyun’s office. His desk, silver and sleek with a huge MAC monitor on top, sat on top of a black marbled dais with a set of ten steps leading up to it.

 

The walls were all a stunning shade of silver, and was that a diamond chandelier hanging from the ceiling? It shimmered in its movements, casting small bits of glitter through the room. Behind where Baekhyun sat – should she call him Sir Baekhyun? – was a floor to ceiling length glass windows. His office was so luxurious with the gold and silver ornaments that Seoul behind him looked more like a background painting than a city that he lived in.

 

Baekhyun didn’t even look up from his papers as she arrived. Kira consciously dragged her skirt down. She couldn’t help but feel her pencil skirt was a bit tighter for her comfort, and her feet felt squished to the black sharp-toed stilettos. Shakily, she approached him; footsteps muted and intentionally light in fear that the click-clacking of her shoes would annoy him.

 

He pushed the sleeves of his coat up to his forearms, revealing blue and green veins that struck in contrast to his pale and flawless skin. “I have a meeting with the Board in two days. I need you to cancel that for me. An investor from Shanghai has arrived for a surprise visit. Make sure we greet them with the finest gifts. I’m going to need their fundings for the east wing project,” he announced faster than the speed of the light.

 

Kira fumbled to write down everything, the messy scribbles nearly incomprehensible. Baekhyun reached across to his table. He opened what seemed like a white calendar, his brows tightly drawn together as he squinted. Kira didn’t want to, she really didn’t, but it was damn near impossible not to stare at him.

 

Just hours ago, she was on a stargazing trip with the weirdo that was Byun Baekhyun – the one who always wore a blue sweatshirt and white pyjamas to class; the one who spoke like he was from a different time and whose mind baffled her. The Baekhyun sitting right in front of her now was unrecognizable. The hair and features remained the same...but the frown set deep on his face and his forehead was always wrinkled in thought.

 

She didn’t know who this Baekhyun was.

 

“And tonight...we’ve been invited to a charity fair. I’ve told you about this long ago. I’ll drive you later to Mina so we can have matching outfits. And for my appointment with Zhein Industries, reschedule it. My mom is coming home and she’ll expect me to join her for tea,” he flipped the calendar closed, arms crossed against his chest. Kira flushed when she saw that even through the loose clothing, her ‘boss’ had firm muscles that bulged underneath.

 

As if he noticed that Kira was distracted, Baekhyun raised a brow, face expressionless. Through that cold, hard exterior along with the monotonous voice, Kira shivered. “Did you get all that?”

 

She winced at her notepad. Other than words like cancel meeting and matching outfits, she didn’t really get anything. Kira scratched her bottom lip, “I uhm...I don’t understand anything...Sir.”

 

God, she wanted to jump off the windows right that instant. She could not believe for the life of her that she was calling Baekhyun sir. But she didn’t see any reason not to call him that either, especially when he seemed taunting and intimidating despite being too relaxed in his seat.

 

Although she couldn’t really tell, since his face was blank.

 

“Should I repeat everything I’ve said then?” Baekhyun enunciated slowly. In a predator-like manner, he leaned forwards, a glint in his eye she couldn’t quite read. His palms clasped together in front of him, the gesture so simple yet enough to make Kira swallow audibly. “I’m a busy man, Kira. I’d appreciate it if you could get it together.”

 

“I’m not feeling well,” she suddenly blurted, “I feel like I’m going to be sick.”

 

Baekhyun fell silent. Kira shut her eyes tight, awaiting his so called ‘wrath.’ She was sure of it already – she’d get fired. Firstly, she didn’t know what the hell she was supposed to considering she was in a much older body of herself in a world she didn’t even know existed. Secondly, why the hell was Baekhyun so intimidating?

 

The shame slapped hard on her face. Add the confusion and the fact her legs were turning wobbly, perhaps it would be best if Kira got fired. Being unemployed was a way better option than being here stuck with him out of all people.

 

Baekhyun surprised her when he leaned back in his seat, a small knot in his lips. He almost looked as if...he was worried. “Did you eat something? Do you have an upset stomach?”

 

Kira blinked back in astonishment, “No, it’s more like...I feel detached to my body. I don’t feel like myself at all and I honestly don’t understand a single thing you said.”

 

She expected he’d be frustrated at the fact his words disappeared into thin air. Instead, Baekhyun nodded, typing away something in his computer. “Go home,” he said without looking at her, “Make sure to bring in Kitty to replace you. I need you to recover so we can go tonight.”

 

“Go tonight? Where?”

 

His jaw ticked. “As I’ve said, you’re my date to the gala.”

 

“Date?”

 

“Hmm. Unless you can find me another heiress or socialite that doesn’t expect me to sleep with them afterwards, then you’re relieved of your duty,” Kira’s eyes widened. Baekhyun must’ve sensed her thoughts because he momentarily looked up from his screen, “Don’t worry about being good company. We’re only there for business,” he shut his computer off, turning to her with a hard look on his face. “Speaking of, have you memorized the table I gave you? Mr. Oh has invited a lot of politicians and international businessmen. I’ll need your assistance in conversing with them.”

 

“Table,” she drawled out while circling one of her fingers. “Of like...like contents...”

 

“You must be really feeling unwell if you don’t remember anything,” Baekhyun frowned. His hands hovered on top of his phone, “Should I call the resident doctor for you?”

 

Call the Gods for me! I don’t belong here! Kira waved a hand in dismissal, trying to act as if she was unbothered by everything when deep down, she was so close to hyperventilating. “No, no, I’m fine. I think I just need some rest.”

 

“Very well, then,” he shrugged one shoulder before proceeding to sign his paper works. Kira took that as a go signal to go home, which she was more than thankful for, when she realized that she didn’t know where she lived. The mere thought of leaving this building with the possibility that she was no longer in Seoul freaked her out. Already, she could feel beads of sweat form in her hairline. “Is there any particular reason why you’re still here, Miss Kira?”

 

“Sir,” she croaked out, completely dry while her hands were wet and clammy. “I’m really not feeling well. I don’t think I can go home alone in this state.”

 

Baekhyun paused, his pen still in his hands. “Are you asking me to chaperone you?”

 

“No, no!” she waved her hands in front of her before she retracted them. God, she felt so stupid and humiliated. “I just meant...maybe I could have someone else take me home? That way I can ensure I won’t pass out in the middle of nowhere. Or something. I’m only concerned for my safety, that’s all,” she lied through gritted teeth, “I wouldn’t want to die for a stupid little accident.”

 

“You are a very careful woman, Miss Kira. Why would you think you’d ever be in harm’s way?”

 

“It was just a thought.”

 

“Well, if my assistant is this concerned for her safety, then I shall take the liberty of easing her worries,” Baekhyun sighed. Kira watched with open as Baekhyun swiped a set of car keys in another silver basket, swinging the keys in his fingers.

 

Was he really going to take her home? How did he even know where she lived?

 

Baekhyun was at the door when he snapped his fingers to call Kira’s attention. She snapped out of her daze, head tilted to the side in confusion. Baekhyun pinched the bridge of his nose, two of his fingers beckoning her in an irritated fashion. “Hurry along. We don’t have much time.”

 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

 

Maybe it was an accident. Perhaps she’d her head too hard and now she was hallucinating. That seemed a good enough reason, because she could no longer try and process anything. The car ride is filled with awkward silence – Baekhyun didn’t want to turn on the radio – and none of them spoke.

 

Kira fiddled with her seatbelt as she tried to avoid the way his pretty fingers drummed against the steering wheel. This Baekhyun really was different. He drove a limited edition black Lamborghini Asterion, a car she never thought she’d witness Baekhyun drive.

 

It suited him, though. The leather interior along with the addicting scent of freshly bought cars intoxicated her, and soon enough, they reached Kira’s apartment without her noticing. She blinked from her spot. Her apartment was a decent one. It was a small flat that looked more like a portable home, definitely not the type she dreamed of living in, but not that she was disappointed either.

 

In this universe, Kira had a stable job and even a decent home. The only thing left for her to discover was how to get back home exactly, since none of this made sense. She wanted to ask Baekhyun if he knew anything about this, but gritted her teeth instead.

 

The Baekhyun who took her stargazing was not the same man who sat beside her, smelling of an expensive perfume and hadn’t smiled ever since she met him.

 

“The gala begins at 10. I’ll pick you up an hour before so we can choose your dress.”

 

Right, Kira thought bitterly. Apparently she was his date to a seemingly pompous event she had no idea about, which meant she had to study or else she’d up. Massively. She turned to Baekhyun with open to ask, but closed them again when he stretched his neck. He craned his neck side to side, the tip of his tongue pressing on his outer lip.

 

Kira turned away with heat creeping up her ears. She cleared to stabilize her voice. Nothing felt scarier than laughing at the same person because of how otherworldly they seemed, only to see that same person in a different light hours later. In fact, this Baekhyun was so different Kira couldn’t even raise her head. “Won’t we be late for the gala then?”

 

“Arriving fashionably late never goes out of style, Miss Kira,” Kira nodded mutely at his words. Her head was too heavy with too many things. She was only snapped out of her trance when his arm brushed against her s, and she leaned back in the seat with a stifled gasp. Baekhyun was smooth as he unclasped her seatbelt, even going as far as reaching over her to open her door. “I think you should leave now, Miss Kira. I believe I’ve done enough for you.”

 

“Y-yes, Sir!” She scurried out the car, bowing to him before she ran to her home. She slammed the door shut and peeked behind her curtains, legs crouched until they ached. Baekhyun’s car was still parked there for a solid minute. Just when Kira thought of calling the cops because of his odd behaviour, Baekhyun drove away.

 

Kira released a breath she didn’t know she’d been holding, her hand pressed on top of her heart. Baekhyun’s presence was so unnerving; she didn’t know whether to run away from him or to smack him because of his effect on her.

 

“Calm down, calm down,” she soothed herself, “This is just a dream, that’s all.”

 

But like any other dream, one had to wake up from it. Badly. Kira fumbled for her phone in her purse, speeding through the contacts only to realize Yui’s number wasn’t there. Her heartbeat pulsed. How come Baekhyun was in this world but Yui wasn’t?

 

Never mind that, she had Yui’s number memorized by heart. Kira had to retype her number several times due to her trembling fingers. Once she’d punched it in, the steady beeping fell through, and Kira caressed her head. “Come on, pick up, pick up!” She was a mess on the floor. Now that Baekhyun was gone, the panic was beginning to settle in.

 

She was older in a different world, with a job she didn’t even know how to work around with. Her best friend wasn’t in her contacts, and Kira couldn’t remember anything. Her heart ached as she thought of her dorm room back in her world. It wasn’t as big and offered peace and privacy like her current apartment did, but that was her home. That was where she belonged.

 

The line went through. “Hello?”

 

Kira’s face fell. It was the voice of a man she couldn’t recognize. “Uhm, hello,” she began shakily, crossing her fingers in the hopes maybe Yui’s colleague had taken the call for her. “Is Kurosawa Yui available?”

 

“I’m sorry, I think you got the wrong number.”

 

“No!” Kira stood up immediately, pacing as the man tried to reason with her. “No, I can’t have the wrong number. This is my best friend’s number! She’s in college, 19 years old and taking—”

 

“I don’t know anyone with that name, Miss. Japanese women aren’t really in my contacts. You have the wrong number.”

 

“So she’s not here?” she whispered, mostly to herself. The guy mistook her panic for something else, because his voice grew worried and he even offered to call the cops for her. Kira shook her head as she ignored the way her heart cracked into pieces. Without a proper farewell, she ended the call and threw the phone across the room. It landed on a picture frame on top of a table, sending it shattering on the ground.

 

Kira breathed heavily. She ran her hands through her hair as she looked around her home – a home she wasn’t even familiar with. She didn’t belong here. She wasn’t near her thirties yet and she hadn’t even finished her degree yet, so why was she here?

 

Baekhyun was so familiar, the only person she thought she knew, but even he felt so far away despite being in close proximity a while ago.

 

None of it made sense to Kira. All she knew was that she was in her own body, living a life she had no idea about, in a world she never even thought possible. The hardest part was that no one understood what she felt. Everyone lived their life the same way she assumed they did – but her? Who was she? What was she supposed to be? Where was she?

 

Kira’s sobs turned into helpless hiccups. From the amount of tears she cried, she helped herself up from the ground to get a glass of water. Being miserable wouldn’t get her the answers she needed. She walked to the kitchen as she wiped her tears, stopping only when she saw the shattered frame.

 

Inside was a photograph of her in Singapore, posing in front of the infamous lion head statue. She smiled with a peace sign held up, neck kept warm through a layer of a red scarf. Kira couldn’t have been any older than 25 here, yet she looked so happy – happier than the person she thought she was.

 

Kira’s eyes travelled to other photos in table, the rest of them hung on the wall. It mostly consisted of Kira graduating, proudly holding up her degree. She looked tired. Bags lined under her eyes and she barely smiled as she showed off her medal, but the pride and triumph was there in her eyes. She squinted at the name. Chise Akira, College of Business Administration. Awardee of Student Excellence.

 

The next photo beside it made Kira’s eyes gloss. In the photo, Baekhyun was holding an award, a small smile drawn on his thin lips. His hair was black here and he looked a lot carefree compared to the one she met today, but the dominant and superior aura remained. Beside him stood Kira in a red dress, looking every bit the poster secretary any CEO dreamt of. Together, they presented the award, their smiles forced and toned down, yet Kira could recognize that shine of happiness in her eyes.

 

She stood there staring at the pictures for who knew how long. Other than Baekhyun sharing awards with her in different stages, she didn’t really see anyone else. Yui wasn’t there, and her parents weren’t there.

 

A stack of paperwork and a huge notebook lay on her table, next to three differently coloured highlighters. Kira slowly made her way to it. Curiously, she sifted through the profiles of several businessmen along with their achievements. So this is what Baekhyun meant when he said he needed her to study them.

 

Next to it was a smaller notebook with very neat handwriting. Kira must’ve taken extra notes and reminders about the people she was supposed to learn about. She stepped away in bewilderment as she looked around, only to see that her house felt more like a home office than anything.

 

Kira didn’t have any paintings or colourful furniture. She had exactly five plates, five sets of utensils, five glasses, and her cupboard was empty. The only thing in her refrigerator was iced coffee, bottled water, and a lone green apple.

 

She was organized – far from the Kira she knew herself to be. When she went to her room, she was more surprised to see that her bed was made and the sheets were ironed flat. Her desk was clean and her files along with the filebooks she kept for work were listed alphabetically, several sticky notes placed on random corners of the house.

 

Buy coffee for Sir BBH. Sir BBH’s car got towed, remember to pick up xx. Dry clean his clothes 8am Saturday. Gala at 10pm – study the file book! 20200518 minutes meeting, have Ellie revise and passed to Kim ASAP.

 

When Kira opened her closet, the wave of disappointment that washed over was incomparable. It was only a closet, it shouldn’t have been a big deal, but seeing the same ten pairs of white blouses and black pencil skirts all hung neatly felt disappointing. Who was this Kira? Where was her spunk? Clearly, she was a lot smarter and organized, had more experience and even travelled parts of the world to gain recognition for her hard work next to an equally successful man – but why did she feel sad for herself?

 

Her world was devoid of colour. It didn’t even look like she took care of her physical health enough. Kira poked the ribs that were threatening to show through her blouse, shaking her wrist when her watch nearly fell off. She remembered how she had nothing but water in her fridge. The ratio between her work stuff and her personal stuff had a huge gap in them.

 

It almost felt as if…Kira lived to work.

 

The Kira that she was now lived a terribly scheduled life to the point it felt dull. She harboured no excitement when she flipped through her notes, blinking back tears when a memory resurfaced.

 

It was two in the morning – maybe three. What did it matter? Sir Byun stayed up late in work today because he forgot to do something. He’d been forgetting a lot of things lately. She worried for him, but the man never liked to be coddled because he insisted he could handle everything himself.

 

She knew better.

 

Kira was his assistant after all. They didn’t work well together for two years only for her to miss her boss’ small cues of exhaustion. He tried his best to hide it, but she always saw through his façade. He’d been skipping sleep, surviving only on caffeine and champagne, before he worked himself to death. That night, he waved her off and insisted she went home. He stayed behind because he forgot to write down that he was supposed to pass the latest sales report to the director.

 

Technically, it was Kira’s fault for not writing it down his schedule, but she thought he’d done it a long time ago. She’d never forget the way her usual stone-faced boss looked that night. He looked empty, broken, exhausted – his usual flawless skin now devoid of colour.

 

That was the first time Kira didn’t follow his orders. She refused to go home. Instead, she crushed some sleeping pills in his tea and waited for him to pass out. It took less than five minutes before her boss snored in his desk, his face now peaceful and almost grateful. She knew she could get fired from what she did, but her heart broke every time she saw him like that.

 

She took off her coat jacket and draped it around his shoulders. One of the pillows on his sofa was retrieved and placed under his cheek for comfort. Gently, she brushed his hair, smiling at how soft they seemed in her touch.

 

Baekhyun had done well – he always did. It made sense he became successful at such a young age, but she wished he knew how to slow down as well. She knew he was too stubborn to do so, though, so she walked away with the unfinished sales report in her arms.

 

Kira plopped down in her desk as she typed everything out. The sales management team had done a great job at organizing the graphics, but the director liked a certain format that was difficult to follow. Difficult, thankfully, not impossible.

 

She knew she’d have a massive migraine by the time she finished this, but after sneaking a glance at Sir Baekhyun’s blissful slumbering form, it was worth it.

 

Kira went back to her senses with a small gasp. Suddenly, her heart was filled with something heavy. The memories of this Kira were slowly coming back, and Kira wasn’t sure what to think about it. This Kira was not just a secretary – she was someone who held a deep respect and fondness for her boss. Not in a romantic way, but in the manner that she looked up to him so much and cared for him like a friend.

 

But the fact their relationship was still of a superior to its subordinate remained the same, and that was the reason Baekhyun spoke to her so formally with that same authority he used on everyone else. The Kira that she lived through right now had the same behaviour and mannerisms. Both of them were stiff, work-oriented, and Kira slammed the file book shut with something stirring deep within her.

 

Her frown was hard on her lips the whole time she looked around. Yes, this Kira was her in a different universe, but why was she like this? Why did her life feel so...empty and lonely?

 

Kira scrolled through her past texts, expecting to see a group chat with friends or even wacky selfies in the gallery. There was nothing. Only screenshots of documents and blurred images of what seemed like buildings under construction were in there. The contact ‘Sir Byun’ was on top of everything else, and their conversation was just this morning right before she’d waken up from her ‘nap.’

 

[Sir Byun, 09:12 AM] Kira?

[Chise Akira, 09:12 AM] Yes, Sir?

[Sir Byun, 09:14 AM] Bring me my usual coffee. I’m running late with something. Prepare my daily sched already.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter