Chapter 1 : Postal Mail

Enamor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

[Dream’s orphanage, 2004]

“Mina sweetie come here.” said Jaime, one of the caregivers in the orphanage, while extending her hand to the young girl.

“Unnie..” 

The 7 year old Mina hugs her penguin plushie and steps back to hide behind her best friend. 

Jeongyeon stands still and firm, she holds the younger’s hand and ready herself to protect the girl.

Jaime giggles because of the familiar adorable scene. 

She witnessed how Mina and Jeongyeon came to the orphanage at the same time, and in almost the same circumstances when they were still infants. The two basically grew up together having this strong bond that no one knows when it started.

She is one of the pioneer workers in the orphanage which was assigned to the group of kids where Mina and Jeongyeon belong so she is aware that they are each other’s best friend and she understands how these kids’ friendship works. 

Jeongyeon is the only one that Mina trusts. No one, not even Jaime, can make Mina calm whenever she’s not in the mood but Jeongyeon.

“It’s okay, Jeongyeon. There’s nothing to worry about,” the caregiver smiles and peeks behind Jeongyeon. She knew that Mina would come willingly once Jeongyeon told her.

“Mina has visitors.” Jaime said and caressed Jeongyeon’s hair.

The two girls look at each other with their furrowed eyebrows. Their hearts, especially Mina’s heart, are racing because having visitors could mean two things. It’s either they are about to get adopted or--

“Your grandfather found you and they are here to pick you up. Congratulations, Mina. You’re going home.” Jaime added.

----

[Present time]

“This is so big!” Dahyun exclaimed while looking up at the 24-storey building. It’s her 25th time to say that phrase but who cares? THE.BUILDING.IS.SO.TALL.AND.BIG!

She gulps and glances at her sister who is looking at the entrance of the said building while wearing a big hopeful smile on her lips.

It’s not everyday that Dahyun see Jeongyeon smile that way, or smile genuinely in general. She often smiles just to give people around her an assurance that she’s okay and doing well.

So when Jeongyeon told her that she thought she found her childhood friend from the orphanage while smiling from ear to ear, she did not hesitate to volunteer to give her company. She did not flinch or argue even Jeongyeon told her that they will visit her friend as soon as today.

But Jeongyeon failed to mention that her friend is working in this big building. It makes her feel intimidated and unsure about what’s about to happen.

Dahyun looks at the people entering and exiting the building. She felt that they do not belong in this kind of environment so she tapped Jeongyeon’s shoulder.

“Are you sure that we are at the right place?” Dahyun asked anxiously while glancing on her sides from time to time. 

If you were going to ask Dahyun, hiding behind the tree and peeking is kinda suspicious--

“This is the best place to wait for her. I can see the entrance from here. You’re so smart Kim Dahyun!” 

Jeongyeon pinched her cheeks before turning her attention back to the building’s entrance.

Okay, yeah. It’s her ‘bright’ idea at first, but she’s so afraid that they ended up in trouble later on.

The building’s guards keep on looking in their direction and they are in their old and faded clothes. So Dahyun has an idea on what’s playing on the guards minds at the moment. She doesn't want to cause a scene if ever that the guards decided that they are suspicious enough to be near the building.

“Yes. I’m 100% sure that Mina is inside of that building.” 

Jeongyeon doesn't even glance at her when Dahyun gasps upo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter