Part 14

The Cowboy [Series]

You spent several hours with Mr Jung, discussing more than you ever thought you would with the man. You were overwhelmed by the experience, especially when he picked up your redevelopment proposal once more.

“I don’t often like to admit I’m wrong, but I have been entirely about you, haven’t I, Y/N?”

“Just a bit,” you answered with a smile, and the older man chuckled. “But I appreciate you giving me a second chance.”

“Do you really have the ability to pull this off?” he questioned sincerely, rustling the stack of papers. You nodded confidently. “Then when will you start?”

“You’re going to support the remodelling of Blayne?”

“Everyone needs help around here and we’ve been going along with this mentality of keeping it within the community for too long. With Jaehyun joining the rodeo circuit too, I’m going to need several men to step into his place on the ranch.”

“Wait,” you breathed, eyes rounding. “You’re going to let him go?”

“It’s what his heart desires. So long as he comes back a champion too.”

You laughed. “I’m sure he’ll give it his best attempt.”

“Just as I’m certain you’ll help us for all the right intentions, Y/N. I welcome you back into our community and my family.”

“Re-really?”

Mr Jung nodded. “For Jaehyun to take after you last week, it’s obvious you mean a whole lot to that boy of mine.”

“He means an awful lot to me too,” you announced, and he let out a grunt as he checked his watch, looking a little uncomfortable after realising how much time he’d spent with you. Smiling brightly, you stood up. “Thank you for your time today and for listening to me without judgment this time. I’ll be in touch when we’re ready to present our proposal to the town.”

“Y/N,” Mr Jung called as you went to the door. He retrieved a set of keys from his pocket and tossed them in your direction when you looked back at him. “I believe you’ll be more settled and productive in the old homestead.”

Grinning, you nodded gratefully. “Thank you!”

“I’m sure you’re going out to find Jaehyun now. Tell him he can take the afternoon off if he’s finished with the heifers.”

“You’re being rather generous today.”

“Do you want me to go back to the grouchy old man you knew me as?” he taunted, and you laughed.

“No sir. I’m glad we now have more understanding of one another.”

“Jeffrey.”

“Pardon?” you said, blinking rapidly. Realising you knew that to be his first name, you smiled and nodded softly. “Have a nice day, Jeffrey.”

“My wife will want you and your friend over for dinner tonight, so do make sure you’re back here in time. I can’t guarantee her custard pie will last long if you’re late.”

“Duly noted!”

Stepping outside, you were on such a high that when you saw Jaehyun in the yard saddling up Blaze, you had to control yourself from running up to him and startling the animal.

But you didn’t hesitate to wrap your arms around Jaehyun from behind and rest against him. He chuckled awkwardly. “Did it go that well, huh?”

“Your Dad has given me so many blessings today. I don’t think I’ll ever come down from cloud nine.”

You discussed the conversation you had with Jaehyun’s Dad in detail, and Jaehyun smiled weakly when you mentioned the fire. “It wasn’t meant to happen. I didn’t intentionally set everything on fire.”

“I assumed as much.”

“I was frustrated, angry even, that no one seemed to be on my side. My mother, as much as she tried to stand her ground, couldn’t change that stubborn mindset my Dad had then. I did break into the theatre that night, but it was just to get away from the house, to avoid all tension. I was watching my favourite movie at the time when the reel got caught in the machine. I don’t think I put it on properly. That’s where the fire started.”

“Have you ever told your parents this?”

Jaehyun shook his head.

“Why not?! You aren’t an arsonist at all.”

“I did want to destroy this place. For years I thought it was my subconscious that started the fire. Sounds stupid, I know. But I had even carried matches with me. The universe just answered my desperate plea, I guess.”

“You need to tell them,” you urged, taking his hand. “You’ve been carrying around so much guilt over this. Being honest might relieve the pressure on your shoulders.”

“Don’t you find it strange?” Jaehyun started, smiling wistfully. “I was this arrogant cowboy when you met me, and now you’re seeing just a vulnerable little boy.”

“No, I’m not. I’m seeing all the sides to the man I love,” you corrected, and Jaehyun leaned over to brush his lips over your forehead.

“I’m starting to wonder what I did in a past life to be blessed with you.”

“Come on now, we’re equals.” Standing up from the log you had taken a seat on earlier, you brushed the dirt from your pants and pointed at Blaze snoozing in the sun. “Do you plan on taking him out anywhere? I’ll come out with you.”

“Roger’s had a field injury that’s made him a little lame.”

You nodded softly, going over to pat Blaze. “I’ve seen in movies where the cowboy sweeps the city slicker up, and they ride double across the fields together.”

“Have you now?” Jaehyun mused, coming over to remove the saddle from Blaze’s back and helped you onto the animal. Once seated, you held out a hand for him to take. “Thought you weren’t a city slicker anymore, Miss Adaptable?”

“Well, there’s still more to learn about riding horses,” you said, grinning when Jaehyun nestled in behind you.

He reached around you for the reins, and with a nudge into Blaze’s sides and a whistle to signal him to move, you headed out down the lane towards the fields at a brisk jog. Leaning back into Jaehyun’s sturdy frame, you closed your eyes.

You trusted Blayne. The people. The nature that surrounded you. Jaehyun. Everything here eased your mind and soul. You couldn’t describe how it felt to return here, but the small blip of turmoil your life had faced recently was worth it all to be back.

Back in Jaehyun’s arms.

“Your father gave me back the keys to the homestead.”

“I guess I’ll have to go turn on the power again.”

You laughed. “I think I can handle that much, Jaehyun.”

“Oh, so you don’t need me anymore?” he asked, his chest deflating behind you.

Angling your head so you could see him, you pecked his jawline gently. “I don’t need you, no.”

“That’s a real shame. This cowboy still had so much to show you.”

“It’s a good thing I want you then,” you answered, and Jaehyun chuckled, pulling Blaze to a halt and leaning in to kiss you passionately.

When you pulled away for some air, you smirked. “It’s supposed to be the gallop across the field first and then the mind-blowing embrace, Jaehyun.”

“Is it? Can’t say I’ve had any need to watch these movies you speak of.”

“I don’t think I will either. It feels as if I’m living in one of my own.”


Your ride out on the ranch was cut short when a rainstorm came out of nowhere once again, reminding you both of the first time you bare your souls to one another. Riding to the homestead, you barely got Blaze into a stall before Jaehyun was tugging his shirt over his head, pulling you back towards the house. You laughed when he picked you up and carried you over to the veranda, this time having the set of keys to get into your home properly.

Yet you took the same steps as you had that first time, heading into the shower, only to squeal with surprised laughter when you both remembered the power was off, and the shower would remain cold.

Laughing together, you managed to find other ways to warm one another up, finally resting in each other’s loving embrace in your bed.

“I’m glad to be home.”

“Home,” Jaehyun echoed, kissing the side of your head. “I like that.”

“Will this become our home one day?” you wondered.

“Do you want to live with me here?”

“And raise children,” you announced, Jaehyun sitting up with your statement. You laughed awkwardly. “Not any time soon. You’ve got the rodeo circuit to train for, and I’ve got a town to redevelop.”

“Having children with me sounds awfully like you want to marry me, Y/N.”

You smiled giddily. “It does, doesn’t it?”

“You and your honesty,” he breathed, kissing you on the crown again. “I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it.”

“Nor will I with how good of a lover you are.”

Jaehyun smirked. “I’ve apparently been granted a lifetime worth of trying to challenge that, it seems.”

“A lifetime. That sounds perfect to me.”

“It does.”

“Remember when you told me I wouldn’t last a month here?”

He groaned. “You always bring that up.”

“I honestly didn’t think I would either.”

“Really?”

“I was ready to pack it in after you, and I fought that night. But something in me told me to prove you wrong about me.”

“Well, consider yourself successful there,” he replied, and you glanced up at him.

“I’m glad it was you.”

“Me?”

“The person who gave me a push to figure out what I wanted in life was you. Without even realising the impact you had at the time over me.”

“I guess my stubborn ways are good for something.”

“I thought I was the stubborn one. And you arrogant.”

“No need to be so specific,” he answered with a playful shove. “I’m glad you stuck around Y/N. I wouldn’t have got to experience what I do now without you.”

“Ending up in bed with me whenever it rains?” you taunted, and Jaehyun rolled his eyes.

“I didn’t know someone could walk into your life and make it feel brand new. You made me want to try new things. Granted, I don’t ever want to try city life again.”

You laughed heartily. “No? But a cowboy in the suburbs would be cute, don’t you think?”

“I need the land around me and the fresh country air,” he mentioned, running his hands along your sides. “But what I need more is you.”

“I can’t commit to coming on the circuit with you. I have a job to complete here when you’re away next year doing that. Construction estimations are two years once we get the ball rolling, and in five years, we’ll have the capacity to farm to the best of our ability and bring in tourist revenue from the small resort your father wants to erect.”

“Wait. That old man of mine wants the resort?!”

You grinned. “He’s good at surprising us all, isn’t he? I think it’s because Pierce tried to bring it up with him again. Apparently, he told him that I was already building one.”

“I can’t believe it.”

Cupping Jaehyun’s face in your palm, you smiled. “So, I can’t really abandon what I’ll be working on here. And as proud of you as I am, I don’t know if I could handle the sheer anxiety of watching you ride that quick ever again.”

Kissing you, Jaehyun then nodded. “I’ll come back to you in one piece.”

“You better.”

“Even if I don’t, I’m sure you’ll still love me.”

“Hey! I’m not going to entertain any injuries, you hear me?!”

“You’ll cope, Miss Adaptable.”

“Mr Cowboy!”

“Yes, Y/N?” he asked, and you softened your expression.

“I love you, Jaehyun.”

“I love you too.”

“As much as I’d love to lay here with you all day, do you think Avery will have the instinct to bring Natty over to your family home soon?”

“Avery? Why?”

“I kind of forgot to tell you, and them, that we’re invited for dinner. Your Dad insisted that we don’t be late tonight.”

Checking the time on his wrist, Jaehyun cursed. “Whilst they might back it on time, we’re going to be late.”

“What excuse do we give them?”

Jaehyun threw you some of his spare clothes he left in the house to dress in since your previous ones were still damp and strewn over the place. “One look in our direction and there will be nothing to tell them otherwise of what we’ve been up to.”

“Well, I’m part of the family now. Maybe they’ll go easy on us.”

“There will be no custard pie for us as punishment, just you wait.”

Walking over to Jaehyun, you slung your arms around his torso with a cheeky smile. “That’s okay. I’ve had my fill of dessert already today.”

“You’ll be the death of me, Miss Adaptable.”

“That I can handle, over any rodeo accidents, Mr Cowboy.”