❁- 1 - ❁

Wildflower.

“Okay, okay, I’m coming, make sure my names on the list, be there in a few-” she sighed, stressed, as she shoved her arms through a sweater and slipped on her shoes before running out of the door. The cold quickly hit her face, and she squinted as she continued running down the street to the nearest hospital after hearing about her friend, Chaeyoung, who ended up there. When she suddenly got the call, she knew something was up, so she rushed out to make sure her friend was okay. Normally she’d be cold and rational, always planning out her next move precisely, but in this moment, she thought of nothing, just one thought and one thing comes first- Chaeyoung, her childhood best friend. The one who stuck with her through everything. 

She finally reached the hospital, and burst through the doors to the desk where the lady stared at her, startled and asked “C-can I help you?”   

The lady took a few seconds to recognize the girl, and she showed a sympathetic smile, "Ah, Ms. Kim. Ms. Son is in room 203; take a right up the stairs."

Dahyun offered her a tight lipped smile and a quick nod, before excusing herself to speed walk towards the stair case. By the time she makes it up the stairs, she's already out of breath, panting hard and fast, but she still trudges on. She takes a sharp right, shoes squeaking and white walls whizzing past her vision. Doctors didn't bat an eye.

As she's running down the halls, she looks down at her phone following the directions Mina messaged her. As she looks up, though, it's already too late, and she feels herself bump into someone- hard. Dahyun rubs her temple in pain, and then she hears a loud crash. Dahyun’s first reaction is to scream at the person, so that’s what she does. “Watch where you’re going! Get out of my way before I-” Dahyun suddenly shuts her mouth as she hears a soft sob, and Dahyun finally looks up and sees a girl, with tears in her eyes, staring down at a broken, beautiful vase. Scattered on the floor are 5 flowers in a lonely group, drowning in the spilled water and broken shards on the stainless white floor. 

She instantly throws her cold attitude in the trash and as she looks back up at the girl, Dahyun’s harsh gaze softens and she quickly looked away and ran to a nearby nurse, asking for a cup and some water. 

When she gets back, though, the girl is already gone, the puddle of water still on the floor but the flowers gone. Dahyun frowns a little, but then is reminded why she’s here, and then rushes to floor 203, where she finds Chaeyoung hooked up to a machine, watching a tv show.  

“Hey,” Chaeyoung weakly mumbles, tired eyes resting on the tv.  

“Hey, how are you doing, Chae?” Dahyun asks worriedly, and she goes to sit in a chair next to the bed, eyes never leaving Chaeyoung’s weak body. 

“I wonder, Dubu, I’m doing great! I love the smell of cleaner and the beautiful sights of blinding white walls, just beautiful isn't it?” Chaeyoung sarcastically said, eyes then resting on Dahyun, slightly smiling. 

Dahyun smiled back a lopsided grin, glad Chaeyoung still could joke around despite her condition. “I know, Chaeyoung, no need to be an .” 

Chaeyoung fully smiled then, but her smile dropped slightly as she said, “But for real, I’m doing okay. I’m just slightly dopey from the medication, but the doctors said I should be able to go in a few days, once they make sure I’m stable. It’s not a serious thing, don’t worry tofu, I’m okay,” then her smile returned. 

“Good, good, I’ll stay here with you until you’re discharged, alright?” Dahyun sighed and leaned back in the chair. “Just to make sure you don’t get into trouble and end up flirting with the nurses like before,” Chaeyoung nervously chuckled at this. 

“If you’ll be okay, but if you get too tired then I want you to go home, alright,” Chaeyoung said, “and I don’t want you messing up my chances with the cute nurse, knowing you...” she mumbled at the end. 

Dahyun pinched her cheeks, “What was that? Sorry, did you say something Chaeng? Want me to tell Mina about this?” 

Chaeyoung got red and slightly tilted her head to avoid Dahyun's hands, “No no no, no really it's okay, you can stay! I’m sorry!” She said desperately. “We aren’t even dating! You have nothing against me!” She whisper yelled, agitated.   

“Yet, you mean. Anyway, I’m going to get something to eat in the cafeteria. Do you want water or something?” 

Yeah, sure, water sounds nice, and some gummy snacks if they have some!” Chaeyoung replied happily. 

Dahyun nodded and went out, walking downstairs towards the cafeteria with a small smile on her face, glad that Chaeyoung is okay, and her anxiety slowly dissipating as she thinks about what they’ll do when she’s discharged to celebrate.  

 

Meanwhile, Sana was rushing down the hall, flowers gently in hand, trying to find somewhere to put the dying flowers. Sana then sighed in relief when she saw the cafeteria. She quickly rushes to where the cups are, filling it with a small amount of water. It’ll do for now, she thinks.  

But before she can fully turn around, she feels a hand on her shoulder. She gets startled and lightly gasps before turning around, coming face to face with the girl she bumped into earlier.  

“Hey, sorry, I just wanted to- um- apologize for, you know, earlier...” The girl said, rubbing her neck with one hand while holding gummy snacks in the other, looking down at her feet. “I hope your, uh, flowers are okay.” 

Sana pulls a small smile without teeth, and says “It’s okay, don’t worry, I got them some water, they’ll be okay. What’s your name?” 

“Dahyun. Kim Dahyun,” she replies sheepishly, almost hesitating.  

“Sana, Minatozaki Sana. Well, Dahyun-ssi, I have to go, I’ll see you later, yeah?”