Chapter 3: How it Started

There’s a Boundary
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A week ago.

High school.

High school, as most say, is the start of a new chapter in every first year’s lives. All the awards, mistakes, and embarrassing moments from middle school will all be left behind to start anew. But there was one thing that Yuri wants to carry over and that is her feelings for her older sister’s best friend, Choi Yena.

Yuri has always admired the older, but her feelings for the older was something new and recent. She didn’t know exactly how it started, but she was sure that it was through the small but impactful things Yena had done for her. It did take her a while to realize that not only did she admire the older but liked her romantically. However, by the time she comprehended her feelings, the older already left for high school, leading the younger to rarely see the older in the past two years.

RING. RING. RING.

Yuri was staring at her ceiling while she was deep in her thoughts on her bed, and the ringing of her phone, unfortunately, disrupted it. She sat up and reached over to her nightstand, where her phone was currently ringing nonstop. Once she grabbed her phone, she lets out a deep sigh and inwardly cursed at the caller that dared to disrupt her thoughts. Realizing who it was, Yuri lets out a deeper sigh followed by a quick eye-roll and pressed the green button that connected her to the caller.

“What do you want?” she asks as she was still annoyed by what had happened.

“WOW!” the caller exclaimed. “It seems like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today,” the caller teased.

“Just get straight to the point Kim Minju,” Yuri deadpanned as she wanted to know why her best friend called her since the latter has a bad habit of calling her when she needs something.

“Well,” Minju started. “Since school is starting next week, I thought that we could go back-to-school shopping today.”

“And who said I’ll go with you?” Yuri scoffed.

“Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn,” Minju whined. “It’s just gonna be an hour and a half long. It’s not gonna take that much time from your day. I mean you just lay around and sleep all day. You might as well go with me and move your lazy !”

“You know, hearing you say that makes me not want to go even more,” Yuri emphasized as she knew that the latter is desperate for her to tag along.

“Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee. Just go with me! I promise I’ll do anything you want some other day, with no complaints or whining,” Minju proposed, which brought a smile on Yuri’s face.

“Hmmm,” she lets out to tease the girl.

“Hmmm what?!?! Just give me an answer!” Minju exclaimed which deepened Yuri's smile as she knew that the latter fell for her plan.

“Hmmm. Okay sure. BUT, you have to buy three outfits that I specifically pick out for you AND treat me to food ON TOP of the thing you promised,” Yuri requested as she wanted to make the most out of the shopping trip and her best friend’s desperation.

“OKAY DEAL!” Minju screeched.

“OUCH! You just made me even deafer!” Yuri complained as she brought her hands up to her ears and rubbed her poor ear.

“Hehehehe… Sorry!” Minju apologized. “Also open your door, I’m outside your house already,” the latter nonchalantly revealed.

“YOU’RE WHAT?!?!?!?!” Yuri yelled in shock.

“Ya! Quite down, are you trying to ruin my ears?!” Minju whined.

“GIRL! So I had no choice from the beginning?!” Yuri fumed, furious by the fact that Minju would drag her out either way.

“Hehehehe. Yup!” Minju chuckles causing Yuri to let out a deep sigh.

“You are something else Kim Minju,” Yuri muttered which unfortunately got caught by the latter over the phone.

“Thanks, I know! Now hurry up and open the door. We don’t have forever!”

“Okay fine. Just wait, I’ll be there in a minute,” Yuri assured, as she lets out another deep and heavy sigh. She hung up on the latter and left her room, as she unfortunately needed to let in her best friend.

‘Goodbye to my beauty rest!’

 

 

“You know what,” Yuri began. “When you said an hour and a half, I should’ve known that you meant five hours!” she complains as she sat down on one of the benches the mall, fortunately, provided for shoppers like her.

“Well, it's not my fault that you believed me!” the girl retorted. “We’ve been friends for years, so you should’ve known my shopping habit by now,” the latter deadpanned as she looked down at the girl with a grimace. “I would’ve asked Wonyoung but she said she’s busy with something,” she muttered as she sat down. 

Upon hearing the familiar name of their other same-aged friend, Yuri’s ears perked up in offense. “Wait.….. WOW! So I wasn’t the first option!?!” she fumed in anger at the sudden information.

“No you were the first option,” Minju calmly countered as she fixed her gaze towards Yuri’s upset figure.

“No! You just said that you asked Wonyoung before you asked me,” Yuri argued.

“No that’s not what I said. I said I WOULD HAVE asked Wonyoung not I DID ASK,” Minju corrected.

“Same thing!” Yuri exclaimed.

“No, it isn’t!” 

“YES, IT IS!”

“NO, IT ISN’T!” 

 “IT IS!”

“NO!”

“YES!”

“You know what! Fine, it is! Let's just stop this cause people are looking at us weirdly,” Minju said as she spotted a few passersby look at them with weird expressions, most likely from their loud bickering.

“Okay!” Yuri responded in joy as she managed to win against her best friend in a pointless argument.

“BUT,” Minju interjected. “I just say that I was gonna drag you out either way if I asked Wonyoung and she agreed.”

“WHAT!” Yuri shouted.

“I said what I said,” Minju shrugged. “ Now get up we still have a lot of places to look at.”

“No," Yuri countered. "I haven’t even sat down for a minute and you're gonna drag me around already!”

“You’ve had more than enough time, so let's go!” Minju exclaimed as she grabbed the various shopping bags from the floor and yanked the latter away from the bench.

“My rest!” Yuri whined as she glanced back at the bench and extended her hands towards it.

“You’ll get rest later when we’re done,” Minju lectured as she dragged the latter further, causing Yuri to whine some more.

“But-” 

“Hey look,” Minju interrupted as she knew that she would never hear the end of it. “It's Yena Unnie!” Minju claimed as she pointed ahead of them.

“REALLY! WHERE?!?!” Yuri looked around in shock and hope.

“Nowhere! AHAHAHA!” Minju cackled.

“MA!” Yuri barked.

“MA what?!” Minju barked back.

“That’s not funny,” Yuri groaned.

“Well, it is to me,” Minju laughed.

“You know for someone who’s supposed to be nice, you sure are mean,” Yuri complained.

“I am nice, just not to you,” Minju explained.

“Hmph. Meanie,” Yuri whined once again which resulted in Minju giggling some more at her best friend’s whining. Deciding to finally let things go, Yuri looked away from Minju and scanned through the endless shops they passed by.

After a few minutes of strolling around, Yuri's eyes widened in interest as two particular outfits on display caught her eyes. Wanting to take a closer look at the outfits, Yuri stopped and yanked Minju with her towards the said store.

“YA! Where are you taking me?” Minju questioned as their stroll was suddenly interrupted by the latter.

“I saw something I like so we’re going there,” Yuri answered as they passed by the display and saw a glimpse of the outfit. “I think it's gonna suit both of us, so let's go in, try it on, and buy it,” she added as they entered the door.

“Why are we gonna buy it right away!?!?” Minju whispered to Yuri’s ears with a smile plastered on her face, as they bowed to the lady that greeted them by the entrance.

“Just trust me!” Yuri loudly whispered back as she dragged them deeper into the store, in search of the outfits. 

“I trust you!” Minju confessed. “But we’ve been best friends for years so I know when I need to be hesitant,” Minju admitted.

“Well now's not the time for that,” Yuri responded as she stopped in her tracks and untangled her arm from Minju’s. She approached a rack and grabbed four different hangers. Curious by what the latter just grabbed, Minju walked over to Yuri but as soon as she saw what the clothes were her eyes widened in shock.

“Y-ya! Wha-what are you holding?” Minju stuttered as she questioned Yuri.

“Its clothes,” Yuri answered, as she handed Minju a black satin long-sleeved button-up crop top with chains that dangled at the side, along with a pair of high-waisted faux leather lace-up shorts. “Try that on and I’ll try these on,” Yuri ordered as she lifted her hanger that contained a leather tank top that had see-through straps and a pair of tight-fitting black leather pants with a chain looking belt.

“But-” Minju tried to complain but was interrupted by the latter.

“But what? You said I can pick out three outfits for you and this is just one of them,” Yuri innocently revealed as she tilted her head and pouted at Minju.

“This isn’t my style or something I would ever wear,” Minju protested.

“It will be now,” Yuri deadpanned as her pout was instantly replac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter