polaris

polaris
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And just like the stars, I’ll fall for you now.”

Jimin was everything Minjeong adored, like the stars she gazes at every night, no matter how far it may seem, she still hopes she could reach for the older even just once in this lifetime. But when that summer night came, during a party over one of their blockmate’s house where they played the typical spin the bottle, the galaxy that Minjeong adored became a void that shatters everything in her.

“Do you like Minjeong?” one of their friends asked to the already intoxicated woman beside the blonde. The question made Minjeong feel jittery, never in her life has she thought of Jimin liking her back, so when she heard the dark haired woman respond with a “No” she shouldn’t be surprised. But why does it sting that it didn’t even take one second for the latter to think before responding, as if the question was nothing?

The room fell silent, as if it wasn’t the answer they were expecting, especially Aeri, Minjeong’s close friend aside from Jimin. On the corner of Minjeong’s eye, she could see the older biting her lip, worry written on her face.

“What was that question?” Minjeong breaks the awkward silence with a small laugh, which everyone followed suit, and the bottle spins again. Like nothing happened, like a heart didn’t shatter into pieces.

“Hey.” she hears a voice beside her, breaking her train of thoughts. “Thinking about Jimin again?” the woman adds. It has been exactly a month since that night, when Minjeong stopped adoring the stars as it brings nothing but a haunting memory, a month since she last saw Jimin too.

The younger just laughs it off, lightly hitting Aeri’s side with her elbow. “Shut up.” she playfully rolls her eyes, which the older responds with a soft smile.

“Our blockmate is holding a party again, you coming?” Aeri shoots the question, looking over the blonde and studying her expressions as the words slip out . She didn’t fail to notice the deep breath the blonde took before faking a smile. “Sure.”

And here they are, back to the familiar scene where Minjeong avoids to be at, especially a certain someone that she has no plans on talking to tonight.

The party was already on full swing when they arrived, there were a couple of tipsy people around, and the dance floor is filled with sweaty bodies dancing to the loud music. If Minjeong was being honest, parties are not really her scene, she don’t even drink. But if she were to choose between this or locking herself up in their dorm overthinking, she would definitely choose this.

“Aeri! You came!” Yeri, their blockmate and host of the party approaches just as they were getting their desired drinks, alcohol for Aeri and a juice for Minjeong. “Oh, hi Minjeong!” the blonde responds with a smile, before she noticed Yeri shooting her a knowing look. “Looking for Jimin?” she teases, and Minjeong just rolls her eyes before laughing at the older’s antics, “Nope.” She replies before taking a sip from the red plastic cup in hand.

“What a shame because she’s looking for you.” Yeri spills, making Minjeong choke on her drink. The surprised look on the latter’s face was enough for both Yeri and Aeri to burst into laughter. Minjeong whips her head behind her and there, at the far corner of the room, standing under the dim lights is a black haired woman staring at her with a piercing gaze. Minjeong knew she should look away and avoid her, but she was too captivated with the brown orbs staring at her that she could feel herself getting lost within those galaxies again. And she know damn well she shouldn’t, because she will never be Jimin’s universe.

She feels a tap on her shoulder, forcing her to break the staring contest with Jimin. “Hey, you alright?” Aeri asks and the younger just nods her head. “She’s coming our way.”

Before Minjeong could even react, she hears a voice she know too well calling her from behind. “Minjeong.”

“Yes?”

”Can we talk?”

 

“I haven’t seen you around after last month’s party.” Jimin finally speaks. It’s been 5 minutes since she asked the younger for a talk and dragged her to the balcony, for privacy. There was a short silence before the blonde responds. “Ah yeah, I was busy with schoolworks. Why?” Minjeong lied, yeah she was busy, but not with school works. She was busy avoiding Jimin. Whenever she’s inside the campus, she would try her best to not walk past the latter. She would go out 5 minutes later than her usual schedule because she knows Jimin would pass by the hallway that time.

“Oh. I thought you were avoiding me.” Jimin mutters, looking over the blonde beside her and she could see the slight shock in her face. “I knew it.” she gave a hollow laugh. Of course she knew Minjeong was avoiding her, she saw how the younger turned her heels in an instant when they’d meet in the hallways. At first she thought the latter just forgot something but it happened too many times that she just took the hint and started taking another route on her way to classes.

“Why?” she asks, trying to get something out of the younger who’s been silent for a few minutes now. “Do you hate me-”

“What? No!” the blonde finally speaks.

“Then why are you avoiding me?”

“It’s nothing.”

“It’s not nothing, Minjeong.”

“Is this the only thing you wanted to talk about?” Minjeong spats out in irritation. She really don’t want to have this conversation right now. Not when she knows how this will end, and she’s not looking forward to that.

The tension is rising, the air became suffocating for the both of them, like any minute, the bomb Minjeong tried her best to defuse will suddenly erupt, and she fears that this night won’t end well for her.

“Yes, because I hate this!” Jimin finally explodes, startling the blonde with the sudden outburst. “I hate that you’re avoiding me without telling me why.”

Minjeong can’t blame Jimin for feeling this way but can you blame her either? Why would she confess a one sided love for the older? Why would s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter