Goodbyes

Behind the Camera
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

It's been a few days since she was asked to quit working at the Jimusho but to Amu, it seemed like it was only yesterday. The scene flashed repeatedly inside her head like a broken recorder, making it hard to focus at any task at hand. In order to shake off these hurtful memories, she decided to prepare a lovely meal for both Chinen and Rio as a way of saying ‘thank you’ for staying by her side.

 

She eyed both lunch boxes she had prepared and gave off a weak smile before dialling Chinen’s number on her mobile. With just a few rings, the boy answered, “Amu-chan?”.

 

“Hi, Chii. I didn’t mean to disturb you. I was just wondering if you’re free. I cooked lunch for Rio-chan and made some for you too. We can meet somewhere, and I can drop it off”, Amu placed her phone in between her left ear and shoulder while giving finishing touches on the boxes.

 

“That sounds great. But I’m actually doing a photoshoot today”, the boy replied. Amu could hear ruffling background noises and assumed the boy’s busy schedule, “Do you think you can drop by? It’s near your apartment so it wouldn’t be too bad to commute. Besides, I want to show you something”.

 

Hearing this, Amu hesitated for a while. Getting near any of other Hey! Say! Jump members might be a bad decision, “Uhm, today’s not really a good day to have tomatoes thrown at me, Chii”.

 

The boy chuckled at this, “Eh? Don’t worry, it’s a solo shoot. I’m the only one here”, he convinced and left a big smile on his face when the girl finally agreed.

 

“Then… I’ll see you in a few minutes”

 

--

 

Amu arrived at the address given to her by Chinen and immediately saw a scene too familiar. She felt nostalgic at the massive cameras and well-designed backgrounds. She smiled to herself, remembering those moments she had with Jump. Her mind then warped and soon was filled with the thoughts of Daiki alongside the fresh wound he had left on her heart. 

 

 

The girl went further into the room and saw Chinen being the centre of attention between three cameras. Random clicks and flashes enveloped the place as the boy pose for the shots. Amu immediately noticed that even other people in the room were star-struck at how Chinen owned the stage.

 

After a few minutes, the director finally waved his hand, indicating that he was contented with the boy's pictures. This is when Chinen’s eyes met Amu’s and immediately, the boy approached her.

 

“You made it”, Chinen’s eyes sparkled and struck a smile at the girl. It was a smile that he does not show in front of any cameras – a smile only for Amu.

 

“I’m glad I came. It’s not everyday I see Chinen Yuri in a tux”, Amu teased and admired the perfectly pressed suit the boy was wearing. She then pulled a lunch box out from her bag and presented it to Chinen, “I just wanted to drop this off. I’m on my way to drop Rio-chan’s at the hospital”.

 

“Thank you. But before I eat, come with me”, the boy instructed and pulled her hand towards one of the cameras. Amu cluelessly watched as the boy whispered something to the photographer before standing next to her.

 

“Wh-What’s this for?”, Amu trembled when she saw Chinen standing so close, with his arms wrapped around her shoulder. Both turned their heads at each other, with eyes stuck like glue. She caught a shutter light from her peripherals after seeing the boy smiling directly at her.

 

“This looks good”, the photographer said and Chinen excitedly jumped towards him to look at the shot. Amu followed him and saw a picture of herself and Chinen, looking at each other. With the camera man’s expertise, the shot looked like it was something taken from a romance movie.

 

“This is why you’re the best, Takashi”, Chinen praised the man and took a hard copy of the shot he printed. He smiled liked a little kid and soon grabbed the dumbfounded Amu out of the studio.

 

--

 

“Won’t we get in trouble for that?”, Amu panicked while feeling her hands still stuck on Chinen’s.

 

“Don’t worry, Takashi’s a good friend”, the boy mused, “We were given an assignment for our next interview to bring something important to us. Now, I have one”, he waved the photo at Amu before placing it inside his blazer’s pocket near his chest. Amu gulped as these words were enough to make her face burn up, making her turn away just to hide her embarrassment.

 

--

 

 

 

Ryosuke took another glance at the crumpled paper on his hand, “You better watch your back. Next time, we will be throwing so much more than eggs”, he read before releasing an exasperated sigh. It’s only been a few days after the scandal broke out and since then, he’s been receiving hate messages and threats almost every day.

 

With the hope to drown his sorrows, he dragged himself towards the dance rehearsal room to practice until he could feel his legs fall off. He wanted to numb the overbearing thoughts of Rio inside his head while draining every drop of energy in his body. 

 

One song played after another and his body moved like it has a mind of its own. He felt sweat running down his back and was unaware of the toil he’s putting on his body. “Dude, can’t you take a break?”, he heard the sound of his best friend’s voice and soon, the music stopped.

 

“Our manager dismissed us for the day. You should go home and rest”, Daiki said in concern, “When was the last time you had a proper meal?”.

 

“Why does it matter?”, Ryosuke replied lifelessly before placing a towel over his neck. As he walked closer to him, Daiki immediately noticed his pale complexion. His lips were chapped, and it was obvious that he was sleep deprived.

 

“I know things are tough right now, but that doesn’t mean forgetting how to take care of your health”, he heard his friend’s paternal lecture.

 

“Look who’s talking. You aren’t eating well yourself”

 

Daiki paused at what he said. He may not notice it but like Ryosuke, he’s also been neglecting his own health. These past few days had been hellish for the boy, and not one-minute had Amu left his mind.

 

“I need to do this to at least get Rio out of my head”, Ryosuke stood up and immediately felt lightheaded. He did not allow Daiki to see this and went ahead to press the ‘play’ button on his music player. However, his fingers did not even meet the screen as he felt his head spin, making him stumble on the floor.

 

Seeing his friend in the brink of falling, Daiki immediately ran to his rescue before calling someone for help.

 

--

 

Meanwhile…

 

Rio felt a chill on her spine after seeing a yellow note stuck in between the gaps of her locker. She quickly pulled it out and found the words “Die, B*tch”, written in bold letters. She looked around the room and gulped at this. This looks very similar to the hate messages Yamada was receiving. Has anyone found out that she’s the girl Ryosuke was with in the papers?

 

Rio’s thoughts were shaken from the sound of her phone vibrating against her coat pocket. She quickly reached for her mobile and did not hesitate to answer when she saw Amu’s name as the caller ID, “Hi, Rio-chan”, the girl greeted.

 

“Hey! What are you up to today?”

 

“I’m actually with Chii. I cooked some lunch for both of you. I’m on my way to drop yours off. Do you think you can excuse yourself from your patients for a few minutes?”

 

With this, Rio’s smile grew from ear to ear. Amu’s cooking might be the best news she’d heard for a while, “Mou, Amu-chan you shouldn’t spoil me. I wouldn’t bear it when you leave”, the girl cried. It’s been a few days since Amu broke the news of her leaving for New York to both Rio and Chinen. The older one spent many an-hours to persuade the girl to stay but finally accepted her decision after knowing that staying in Japan only reminds her of Daiki.

 

“I need to keep feeding you until I go. Don’t worry, I’ll leave some recipes so you can still taste my cooking”

 

“You think I could cook like you? Have you not seen me in the kitchen?”

 

“You’re right. Maybe I should teach you not to burn the apartment first before any cooking lessons”, Amu bantered. She didn't have to see Rio to know that she is already pouting at what she said.

 

Rio was about to counter her teasing when she heard her blee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter