Day 1

Behind the Camera
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

“I will give you 3 months to sort everything out. If not, you’re coming home!”

 

Those were the last few words her father left before hearing an abrupt ‘thud’ which signalled the end of the phone call. Amu sighed for the nth time today, having dealt with multiple criticisms from her work place. The buzzing sound of the busy Tokyo traffic was suddenly drowned out and all she heard was a flat line. She only started a month ago as a junior writer coming from the States, but culture shock really is a thing. 

 

She felt her body collapse on the nearest concrete, not minding the dirt of the pavement staining her jeans. 

 

Only a few weeks back, she decided to move to Japan to explore international career options to pursue her career in journalism. Luck may be a good way to put it as within a few weeks of applying, she was given a chance to move out from her father's house back in New York and live with her best friend, Rio. However, she already received harsh comments from senior members in her firm after only a few days of starting. “I don’t want to go back to the States”, she sulked, feeling an enormous amount of pressure coming from both her boss and her dad.
 

Amu is used to her father’s firm paternal lectures and was brought up always saying ‘yes’ to whatever he tells her to. She therefore considers this opportunity as the last chance to pursue her own dream and is dedicated to not let this go. 


--

 

Amu's frustrations were overbearing and before she could even fight it, tears were already falling on her plump cheeks. 

 

Tears continued to fall like a leaking faucet, but Amu didn’t mind it at all. She didn’t mind her tears moistening her scarf and allowed them to drop until she noticed someone kneeling down to her level to see if she was okay. 

 

“You know, it’s not good to cry alone”, his voice was soft and sounded like a big hug. 

 

Amu looked up and saw a boy around her age smiling brightly competing against the glistening neon lights of Tokyo. The guy looked familiar but just could not pin point where she had seen him. She shook this thought off when the man offered his handkerchief and prompted to wipe her own tears. 

 

However, the boy was taken by surprised when Amu balled even louder. For some reason, being comforted like this made the poor girl pour out all her frustrations. It’s the first time she cried in public but the boy’s appearance somehow made her feel like she can cry all she wants today. 

 

“Ehh? Please d-don’t cry anymore! Everyone’s looking. They might think I was the one who made you cry”, the boy panicked after seeing passersby’ judging looks and whispers. 

 

“I’m sorry. I can’t help it”, Amu sniffed and cried like a little kid. 

 

“I bet you look much cuter without those tears”, he replied and took the initiative to wipe the tears for her. He patted her head and smiled more brightly. Amu looked up and somehow felt warmth diffuse all over her body - like she does not even need her jacket. 

 

After making sure she’s okay, the boy shot one last smile and decided to walk away. 

 

“Wait, your handkerchief”, Amu called out.

 

“It’s yours. Just don’t let those tears fall again”, he replied and disappeared along the crowd. 

 

Amu held the dampen handkerchief on her hand and saw a name embroidered on it, “Chinen Yuri”, she whispered before a smile formed on her face. 

 

 

Amu took a few seconds to contemplate her thoughts but were disturbed by a vibration coming from her left pocket. She pulled her mobile and saw her best friend’s name on its screen, “it’s Rio-chan”, she confirmed before pressing the ‘answer’ button. While the video loads, she wiped remnants of tears from her face to hide the fact that she was crying. 

 

“Amu-chan, I’m officially done!”, Amu saw her friend’s exhausted expression fixed on her mobile screen, “This placement is making me question all my life decisions. Do I really want to be a doctor?”, she complained, making Amu chuckle on her friend’s usual rants.
 

Rio came almost the same time as Amu but not as a journalist. She came from the United Kingdom as a medical student. Starting her degree in London, she transferred to Tokyo for the completion of her final year. Like Amu, life's reality is pestering her to grow up. She's been studying for almost 5 years now and all she ever wanted is a break from her harsh reality before succumbing to the upcoming busy hospital life after graduation.

 

“Wait! Why are your eyes red? Were you crying?”, the girl almost immediately noticed Amu’s puffy eyes. Amu denied it at first but the girl insisted on making her spill, “Don’t you lie to me, missy! Did your dad give you a hard time again?”. 

 

“Nevermind that. What time will you be home? I’m making katsu curry tonight for dinner”, Amu asked, noting the white uniform her friend is still wearing. 

 

“That’s why I’m calling. I’ll be late tonight so don’t wait up. I’m so exhausted!”, Rio pouted before taking another sip from her 4th cup of coffee of the day, “but don’t try to change the subject! What did your dad say?”. 

 

Amu sighed in defeat. She knows she could not hide anything from this girl, “He lectured me again. He told me to go back if I don’t do well in this job within the next 3 months”.

 

“You’re not allowed to leave me, missy! If anyone bullies you at work again, I’ll march there and give them shots”, she joked and showed different sizes of needles in her clinic. 

 

“I don’t think that’s even legal, Rio-chan”, she chuckled and continued to rant, “I want to be released from my father’s shadow. I haven’t even done anything crazy in my life!”

 

Amu and Rio grunted at the same time, “Both of us really need a break! You didn’t forget our date tomorrow, right?”

 

“Oh, of course. The show is tomorrow? Itadaki High Jump... was it?”, she confirmed, unsure what the show was about.

 

“Yeah, I finally got 2 tickets to see Hey! Say! Jump and be one of the audience to see the show”, she excitedly said. Amu is aware on how addicted Rio is to this particular idol group. She doesn’t really know them yet. She’s only been in Japan for a few weeks and taking time to get familiar with a 9-member group is not really on her priority list right now, “You’re a journalist so this might even make you more acquainted with the Japanese entertainment industry. Plus, you'll get to unwind from your stressful work”. 

 

“Okay, I guess it’s nice to do something before I officially go crazy”

 

“Agreed! My boss gave me a few weeks off before I officially sign my contract in my hospital as a junior doctor so I beg you... please do something with me!”, she playfully begged, making the younger girl giggle at her silliness. 

 

“Hai hai, I’ll just see you tonight. I’ll leave your dinner inside the microwave so just heat it up”

 

“You’re the best!”, she waved one last time before ending the call. 

 

——

 

*Next Day*

 

Amu and Rio squeezed into the the tight door leading inside the studio. Both of them noticed how underdressed they were after seeing fawns of fan girls wearing frilly clothes, almost begging to catch attention. They noticed a number of hands holding colourful banners being waved alongside random cheers here and there.

 

Both girls tried their best to move around, not anticipating aggressive girls trying to get in. Rio thought that the hospital was busy... No. This place IS busy. At least in the hospital, sick people are quiet. They were still in the reception area but Amu and Rio already found themselves being overwhelmed by the deafening squeals of teenage girls waiting for the staff members to let the audience in. 

 

Wanting to free herself from this torture, Rio looked around and found something interesting. She nudged Amu to get her attention before wiggling her eyebrows, “Ne, Amu-chan...”, she paused, but Amu already knew that she is going to say something they’ll regret, “you know when you said for once in you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter