Chapter 9

To The Beautiful You - My Version

Several weeks had passed since the Annual Fun Fair at Genie High. Both Genie High and Serin Girls’ High were having their semester break. Lets see what our characters were up to…

Tae Joon’s POV (Genie High)

“Han Na! Why did sneak into my school again? What if you get caught?” I felt like a tape recorder playing this line for the nth time. Perhaps I should consider getting the real thing, taped down this speech, and played it whenever Han Na trespassed.

“Oppa! Do you have to raise your voice every time you see me? It hurts,” Han Na whined.

I mentally reminded myself to calm down. Seol Han Na was the daughter of my father’s close friend. When we were kids, we played together a lot. We were so close that I once thought she was my real sister because she kept calling me “Oppa”. Later I learned from my mum that I was her only son. Besides, it was impossible to have a younger sister that was only five months your junior. Nevertheless, nothing had changed. I still saw her as one.

“Okayyyyy…” I gently replied. “How can I help you?”

“I got 2 tickets to the Lotte World from my uncle. Since we are having our semester break, why not go together?”

“No thanks. I am tired from all the training,” I rejected her, using the same excuse. This portion should be recorded too.

“Oppa! Do you know how happy a girl can get when a guy brings her to a theme park? Can’t you just do it for me, just this once?”

A light bulb brightened in my mind when I heard that.

“Since you aren’t going, these tickets are of no use,” Han Na was about to throw the tickets into the trash can but I stopped her quickly.

“Er… Han Na. I just remembered. My cousin from Canada is here in Korea with his girlfriend. He keeps pestering me for ideas about where to have fun. Why don’t you sell the tickets to me, so that I can give it to them? It’s a waste to feed them to the trash can.”

“Hahaha. No problem, but you can have the tickets for free. I didn’t pay for them anyway,” Han Na was too eager to please me. I felt kinda bad taking advantage of the situation.

“That’s very kind of you. Thanks.”

Jae Hee’s POV (Genie High Dorm)

This was my first semester break in Korea, and I finally had time to fulfil an overdue promise. According to my foster parents, Angels’ Orphanage, where I used to live, was situated at Goyangsi Dukyangu Goyangdong 421-1. She might no longer live there, but that was a good starting point to begin my search.

Ever since I arrived here from the states, there were plenty of adjustments and administrative work to handle. I did not even have the chance to learn much about Korea. During school time, Eun Gyeol always brought me around in his motorbike, hence there was no need for me to know anything. He had been a great friend, and I appreciated that. Now that he was not around, I suddenly felt a little lost.

Unfortunately, I could not find anything about Angels’ Orphanage on the internet, not even a website, so I used the address as the search term and approximately mapped out how to get there via public transport. Armed with whatever information I could gather, I set out on my first solo journey in Korea. Wish me luck that I did not end up as another record in the Missing Persons Bureau.

Han Na’s POV

Although I had gotten used to being rejected by Oppa, it still hurt. Tae Joon Oppa was the first guy I knew and we played together a lot when we were younger. He took great care of me like an older brother. That was why I called him oppa even though it was unnecessary because we were born in the same year.

As I grew older, my feelings for him blossomed into something more. Being a forthright person, I confessed to oppa the moment I realised my feelings for him, and that was during my first year in high school. Oppa thought I was too rash and felt that perhaps I should socialise more before I committed myself to someone. It sounded like an advice with good intention. At least that was what I thought until oppa gave up on the offer to train under Holten or Colten or whatever. On one hand, I was happy that he decided not to leave for Canada. However, it still because he did not stay for me, but for that Krystal . Thanks to my rich dad who donated generously to Serin Girls’ High on a regular basis, I had great influence over the entire school population. Hence I managed to rally every student to ostracise her, except for the other called Sulli.

“Buzzzz…” my mobile phone vibrated, interrupting my thoughts. Dennis Kang, Tae Joon’s cousin whatsApp to everyone. He sent a photo to everyone in the group of him sun tanning with his girlfriend on a beach in Pattaya.

Wait a minute, didn’t oppa said his cousin was in Korea?

Krystal’s POV (Serin Girls’ High)

“Class dismissed. Enjoy your semester break but do not forget the things you have learned,” the English teacher said.

Finally, the English remedial class was over. You must be wondering why an American like myself needed extra help in English lessons. It wasn’t me who needed help, but the teacher needed my help. Okay, not only me but also a few of the other students who got a distinction in English. She wanted us to peer tutored the weaker students.

I did not mind helping out the weaker students, but the student assigned to me was not being cooperative. She deliberately made me repeat the explanation several times by pretending to be hard on hearing. Then again any student that was put under me would be giving me a hard time, due to Seol Han Na’s influence. Couldn’t she see that it wasn’t my fault that Tae Joon did not like her? Her clingy and possessive nature would have turned any guy off. Sometimes I did not blame Tae Joon for rejecting her. But why me? There were many better girls around.

Speak of the devil, there he was waving at me outside my school gate. I quickened my pace but he caught up quickly. An athletic stalker was a dangerous combination indeed.

“Krystal. It’s been a while. How’s school?”

“It’s fine,” I replied monotonously.

“Finally ing Sulli isn’t here to…”

“How dare you insult my best friend! I’m glad she’s always around to block your co…” I covered my mouth just in time to stop myself from spewing something vulgar.

“Hahaha. You look cute when you do that. Opp!” Tae Joon imitated the way I covered my mouth, whereby I used both hands and held them in a cross sign.

“Whatever. If there’s nothing else, I need to go,” I wanted to walk away but he held my wrist.

“I got 2 tickets to Lotte World from a friend, and I immediately thought of you,” Tae Joon whipped out the tickets and placed one in my hand.

(Author’s POV: Little did they realised that Han Na was watching from behind a tree. Fuming with jealousy, she turned to walk away as she might explode any moment if she watched on. Someone needs to put Krystal back in her place, she thought.)

“Sorry I am meeting someone, and I am running late,” I lied. “You can have the ticket back.”

Instead of taking back the ticket from my hand, he grabbed my wrist so tightly that I winced in pain. “Who are you meeting?”

“Me!” Jae Hee said.