We're a family

Becoming family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi all, so all my older joyri and kids seulrene fics so far have been fun and cute, but I wanted to challenge myself to do something a bit more serious with this theme. This is where married couple joyri want to adopt a child but maybe they didn’t expect to come to care for two little girls who could both use a home, so expect some sad parts.



 

Having been together ever since their HS years, throughout college, and married now for the last four years. Park Sooyoung and her wife Kim Yerim are finally ready to take the next big steps in completing their family, both with stability in their careers, and a house they just bought. The women knew it was time.

 

“Yerimie,” Sooyoung whispers to her wife, running her fingers through blonde locks as the shorter woman slept in her arms. She almost didn’t want to wake Yerim up, since she slept so peacefully, but this was important. The shorter woman stirred in her arms a bit and that’s when Sooyoung leaned down for the kiss. The kiss on her lips is what does it and wakes Yerim up completely.

 

“Soo?” She yawns when they break away. “What’s up?”

 

“I know we’ve been talking about it, adopting a child.”

 

They have been seriously discussing it more. The two of them have both wanted to one day adopt a child, and now it seems more like a good time to do so, since both are stable in their careers, and have a home where the child can grow up comfortably. 

 

“Yes, I know, Soo. I’d really like to adopt, and we are ready now too.”

 

“Yeah, we’re definitely ready now. I can call and make an appointment for us, where we can at least meet the owners of the orphanage, go through the process?”

 

Park Sooyoung couldn’t imagine doing this with anyone else. Kim Yerim is the absolute love of her life, and as long as they are together, there is nothing the two of them can’t do. The topic of kids had always been on the table for them, no matter how they had to go about doing so. The main reason they wanted to go about adopting was because there are many kids orphaned out there, many who could use a loving home, and at least they could lessen that fact by adopting a child who could really use a family, as much as they wanted to raise a child together. The blonde woman nods and touches the side of her wife’s face. That sounded like a plan, they could at least go through the initial process, sometimes adoptions took time, and there was also no guarantee either. Though, with how the two of them are both working women with college backgrounds, careers, and a home, they would make good prospects.

 

“Okay, let me know when you’ve made the call. Maybe we can find a day to go when we both are off work?”

 

“Okay, honey.” Sooyoung gives her a soft kiss to her lips. One of her coworkers had mentioned to her a very good orphanage, one that has a wonderful woman running it named Son Seungwan, one of those rich philanthropist types who personally sees to the well being of the children there and since Sooyoung heard good things about it. She knew that was the place she would check out first, by placing a call and seeing if she and Yerim could go one day to have a first meeting at least. 


 

Now, when Son Seungwan received a call that there was a couple interested in adopting one of the children at the orphanage. She remembered feeling excited as there is no greater wish for her than to be able to place as many kids into loving and stable homes as possible. She does her best to make sure all the children who stay here are as happy, and looked after as possible, though she recognizes that doesn’t fully replace the feeling of a family. Most of the kids have either been orphaned by tragedy, giving up as babies, and some have been here for years. It is Seungwan’s hope that this woman, Park Sooyoung and her wife will find the child they wish to adopt here. She cares for all the children who stay here, but in particular she is very fond of two children Bae Joohyun and Kang Seulgi, both who have been here since they were smaller kids, and now nearing their ninth birthdays, respectively.

 

Two kids who are inseparable, spending all their time together, and being each other’s sense of comfort. Seungwan hopes one of them, if not both of them, could find their new family.

 

“We’ll be having a potential adopting family coming in on Thursday, so you know what to do.” Seungwan instructs her staff, little did the adult know but little Joohyun was listening from where she sat. It’s been awhile since people came to visit the orphanage and even then Joohyun can only recall one or two kids at most being adopted. She has to go find Seulgi and let her know, because they are best friends and tell each other everything. Seulgi who was here at the orphanage for an even longer time than her, but made her feel like she wasn’t alone practically from the first time they met. Joohyun wants to be adopted very much, but her biggest wish is that they can both be adopted together, because she doesn’t want to imagine a life without Seulgi. 

 

“Seul?” Joohyun calls out when she reaches the bedroom in the orphanage the two of them share. Ms. Son noticed how close the two kids were, so it was a no brainer to make them roommates. Seulgi’s bed on the left side of the room, a little more all over the place, with toys, art supplies, comics, for example compared to Joohyun’s side with her books stacked neatly, toys placed neatly, and clothes folded perfectly or as close to perfectly as a soon to be nine-year-old could. 

 

“Seul?” Joohyun notices the way Seulgi is curled up in her covers, to the point where you can’t see her, but can make out the small ball curled up under the orange blankets. She isn’t surprised that Seulgi is asleep, and though she hates to wake her best friend up, she has to tell her what she overheard. Seulgi would tell her first, had she been the one to overhear, and that’s why Joohyun walks over carefully to Seulgi’s bed and gently shakes her.

 

“Hey, Seul, sorry to wake you. But can we talk?”
 

Several moments later, the covers are pulled back, and Joohyun smiles when she sees the cute and sleepy face of her best friend, who always reminded her of a cute kitten or a teddy bear in some ways. Seulgi’s monolid eyes focus onto Joohyun and it doesn’t take long for her to smile.

 

“Hyun…” She yawns. “What’s going on?”

 

Joohyun then proceeds to tell Seulgi what she heard, about the potential people wanting to adopt, and Seulgi looks more alert as she talks.

 

“It’s been a really long time since people came to maybe adopt someone, Hyunnie.”

 

“I know.” She sits down closer to Seulgi. “I hope we can both be adopted, wouldn’t that be nice? Being adopted together.”

 

“Yes…” it’s always been Seulgi’s hope that if she were to one day be adopted, it would be together with her very best friend. Seulgi will often remember how she first met Joohyun, the adorable bunny-looking girl with her big brown eyes and dark locks that appeared to be so scared and shy at first. Not that Seulgi blamed her, it was scary to wake up one day with no family and sent to an orphanage to live, but luckily Ms. Son was the kindest woman, who made sure they all felt as close to a family as they could, with everyone always getting gifts on their birthdays, Christmas, and special things they liked from time to time. 

 

Seulgi knew how lucky she and Joohyun both are to be in a place like this, that doesn’t mean she isn’t hoping for them to maybe even be adopted together, it would be nice.

 

“It would be nice, Hyun,” the monolid child nods with eyes forming crescent shapes. Joohyun even hugs her suddenly, something that used to once take Seulgi by surprise, not used to the hugs. But grew used to them because of Joohyun alone.

 

“Don’t worry, we’ll be adopted, Seul! I just know it.”

 

“Because of her energy, Seulgi laughed and nodded, Joohyun made her believe in anything and everything.

 

“Yea, Hyunnie, I’m sure we will.”


 

In the afternoon they were all set to visit the orphanage, Yerim had to rearrange her schedule so that she could meet her wife there, it didn’t matter because nothing was more important than them taking the first steps to becoming parents. The blonde parked her car and took a look at the orphanage that was giving off a homey feel, with its bright colors, and yard space. When Yerim had a chance to look up the details about Son Seungwan and her orphanage, there was no doubt in her mind that she and Sooyoung were making the right call to adopt here. The woman had nothing but the best comments about her, saying how much she genuinely cared about all the kids in her orphanage. A house she had built with her own money at that, most of it all comes from her own money, which was commendable.

 

“Hi, baby.” Sooyoung walks over to her, having not too long ago got here herself from work. Yerim always thinks her wife looks amazing in her work clothes, so professional, and sophisticated in her ironed dark dress shirt and gray slacks. 

 

“Hey, you’re wearing that perfume I like.” Yerim notices when they hug.

 

“Yea, I thought it would be a good luck charm. This is just one of the things we’ve always talked about, and now we’re on our way to adopting.”

 

Yerim nods and pushes some of her taller wife’s dark locks from the side of her face. “I know, I hope it goes well. Alright, are you ready, we should go meet Ms. Son now.”

 

The pair walked up the orphanage hand in hand, and noticed how cozy and inviting the place was. A tray of cookies, muffins, and other various desserts in the hall for anyone to take, brightly colored walls, pleasant staff greeting them. It’s certainly the best looking orphanage either of them ever saw. 

 

“Hi, welcome.” The blonde-haired woman greets them with a smile. “My name is Son Seungwan, and it’s so nice to meet you both, please sit. I would love to give you a brief overview of everything here, and if you have questions I’ll be able to answer them.”

 

“Hello, Ms. Son, it’s nice to meet you too.” Sooyoung begins.

 

“Thank you for agreeing to meet with us so soon, we appreciate you taking the time.” Yerim speaks next.

 

“I should be thanking you two, I am always happy to meet with any potential adopters. It is my hope to be able to place one of my children here with you, I’ve read your application and everything really looks good. But we can go over that in more detail in a bit.”

 

The overview is pretty much a lot of what can be found online, but with Seungwan speaking to them, they can hear how passionate she is about this work, making sure she can get as many children she can to be adopted, and they know there’s no way they won’t eventually leave here with a child of their own. Seungwan asks them to speak a little about themselves, though she has their application papers in front of her, it always helps to hear from the potential family, in their own words.

 

“Well, I’m a financial advisor at the company I’ve worked at for the last five years.” Sooyoung speaks. “My wife and I have always spoken about being able to adopt one day.”
 

“And I’m a data specialist at my company. Soo and I would be able to provide not only financially for a child, but emotionally and mentally too. We have been together for a long time, and now we just want to take the steps necessary to start our family.”

 

Seungwan nods with a warm smile. “Adoption processes don’t happen overnight, and then some cases do vary, however. I don't doubt you and your wife will be able to adopt successfully, if you have time I could give you a tour and maybe even you could meet some of the children here, at least for a small visit. I’d have you come back again, of course. But an initial meeting is more than fine.”

 

Sooyoung turns to Yerim, as she reaches for her hand, and Yerim nods.

 

“Yes, we’d like a tour, and to meet with the children.”

 

The fact that she and Joohyun had a lot of room to run around and explore, whether it was outside when the weather was good, at the nearby playground on the property, or the various rooms in the house (she and Joohyun had been here so long) that there are no places they haven’t discovered together, having been everywhere they could both inside the house and outside. This time the two kids were hanging out together in one of the larger rooms where all the kids gather for various activities, whether it’s games, art assignments, or playing instruments.

 

“I saw them.” Joohyun admits as she moves her purple bunny on the board game they had set up between them.

 

“The people coming to adopt?”

 

“Hm,” Joohyun nods, remembering how she had looked out of the window to see the two women, both very pretty, and dressed like they had important jobs of some kind. “They looked like actresses or singers.”
 

“Wow…” Seulgi sounds as if she is in awe, because for as long as Seulgi has been here, which has been a long time. She hasn’t ever seen anyone who looked like they could be a famous person. “Do you think we could meet them today, Hyun?”

 

“I hope so, Seul.”

 

Joohyun in particular couldn’t sleep much the night before. Ever since, Ms. Son told them they would have guests all Joohyun could think about was the possibility of maybe getting adopted, but she wanted to get adopted with Seulgi. She remembers how Seulgi, noticing how she couldn’t sleep comforted her with a hug, and they sat up for hours talking and playing a card game together, anything to help Joohyun fall asleep. Joohyun is always grateful to Seulgi, who became her first real friend when she came to the orphanage. Seulgi, who was always kind, sweet, and made everything fun for her.

 

“Don’t worry, Hyun. It does get easier the longer you live here.” She can still recall Seulgi’s words to her once. Joohyun had really admired Seulgi, who had been here longer than her, and still remained positive and cheerful no matter what. She wanted to be just like Seulgi in that respect, and over time she sort of adopted some of her best friend’s positivity and optimism. 

 

“Come on, Seul.” Joohyun smiles and reaches for her hand. “Let’s go see what’s going on.”

 

“Yea,” Seulgi smiles back, taking a hold of Joohyun’s offered hand. “Let’s go see.”


 


 

Now, Sooyoung and Yerim couldn’t help but to compliment Seungwan on all of her hard work as they took the tour, and even met most of the children.

 

“I opened this place, to be able to do whatever I could, whether it’s making sure the children here who have more traumatic pasts get all the necessary treatment and help they need, or just making them like they did have a family here, whatever I was able to do in my power, so it means a lot to me to continue this work.”

 

“All the children here are so well-behaved too.” Yerim noticed.

 

Out of the corner of her eye, Seungwan could see two little girls who weren’t there with the others when Seungwan was showing Sooyoung and Yerim around. It’s cute to see little Seulgi and Joohyun peeking out from behind the bookshelf like no one can see them.

 

“Yes, all the children here are well-behaved. I do believe that you haven’t met everyone though.”

 

“Hm?” The couple wonder together, while two small children gasp. Were they not doing a good enough job at spying?

 

“Yes, you’ve not met Seulgi and Joohyun. Two of my sweetest kids, Seul, Hyun. won’t you please come out and talk to the Parks, they would like to meet you too.”
 

Sooyoung and Yerim turn around then to see two small children, probably around eight or nine. But they are possibly two of the cutest kids either women had ever seen. The child on the right is monolid with cute cheeks and resembles a baby kitten, while the child on the left has big brown eyes, almost doll-like in her face, as she holds on tightly to the monolid child’s hand. They are the cutest most adorable pair, and the couple decide to be gentle. The two look rather scared or nervous.

 

“Hi, kids. My name is Sooyoung and this is my wife Yerim. We’re so glad we get to meet you today.”
 

“Hi, Ms. Sooyoung, Ms. Yerim.” Seulgi is the first to bravely speak up. “I’m Seulgi and it’s nice to meet you.”

 

“H-Hi,” Joohyun whispers softly, almost so softly that it could be missed. “I’m Joohyun and it’s nice to meet you.”

 

“Hello, Seulgi, Joohyun.” Yerim speaks kindly. “My wife and I are glad we get to meet you both, we wouldn’t have wanted to miss meeting either of you.”

 

Seungwan observes that first interaction, a bit awkward as expected, but it didn’t take her long to see how this could potentially be a good match. She would absolutely love for both Seulgi and Joohyun to be adopted, preferably together, though she can understand why that might not be possible too. It was something the orphanage owner would have to discuss with the couple at a later date. 

 

They stay long enough to talk a little to the kids, but make plans to come back for a second visit. Seulgi and Joohyun wave politely to them as Seungwan shows them to the exit.

 

“Bye, Ms. Sooyoung, Ms. Yerim.” They speak together.

 

“Bye, kids. We’ll see you again soon.”

 

The moment they are outside with Seungwan. The couple can’t help but to express how adorable they find them.

 

“How cute were they, huh Soo.” Yerim speaks.

 

“Adorable, yes. Ms. Son, we’d like to be able to meet them again, the next time? Is that alright?”

 

“Of course, I’ll arrange some time for you all to meet and if you want we could discuss adoption processes. I had a feeling you two would find your child here, and I am never wrong with my instincts. Let’s be in touch soon, alright?”

 

The couple thank her and leave the orphanage with plans to return as soon as possible to spend more time with both kids. Seulgi and Joohyun can see the couple, Sooyoung walks Yerim to her car and gives the softest kiss to her cheek, causing both children to giggle at the sight.

 

“You were right, Hyun. They really do look like actresses or famous people.”

 

“They do, and they look cute together, like they’ve been married a long time.” Joohyun lays down on the soft carpet with Seulgi joining her. 

 

“Do you...wanna get married one day, Seul?” Joohyun asks her and laughs at how red Seulgi’s face gets. 

 

“Oh, um….I don’t know, maybe…”

 

“Would you wanna marry me one day?”

 

Seulgi’s face explodes red even redder than it was, and she resembles a tomato. “Uh….marry the cutest girl ever, yea, of course, I would.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter