PHOSPHENE

Eventually Going On Actually

They allowed him brief strolls outside of his ward; he had never felt happier getting fresh air than he did when he first stepped out into a breezy morning for a walk. Well, he was wheeled out, but why mope?

He was out of his comfort zone seeing the VIP charade, so he tried to get them understand he'd rather be on his own for a while; that was far more familiar to him than any catering they provided.

The Kim visits weren't as prolonged or uncomfortable as the first one, but he still felt their pressing matters. They wanted to gather info that he himself wasn't in the possesion of. He was scared of coming clean when all he faced was loving and caring people, while he played a role. And for no one's benefit, if you thought about it.

On one hand, he was fooling himself that maybe he wasn't as cruel. But on the other he knew he was even more than that.

He needed to tell them the truth. What good would keeping silent do?

"Are you ready to go back, mr.Kim?"

Just as he was about to answer the nurse, he spotted a silouhette in his peripheral vision. He couldn't decide if it was the best course, but it'd definitely aggravate things the longer he put off speaking the truth.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to stay for a bit longer."

"Not much, though. You're scheduled for having the bandages redressed and a control X-ray. I'll send someone over in a while, ok?" she informed him. "Any pain now?" she inquired before leaving him be.

"Bearable." he smiled, thanking her.

Not a second later, he was accompanied by Kim Sunggyu and his ever stoic presence. He brought him some paper wrapped nice smelling pastry, but he was far from keeping anything down; a concern the doctors have expressed during his latest check-up. How the hell could he tell them guilt ate up at him?

"Mother is a surprisingly good cook. She thought maybe some homemade food would be better than..." Anyone could feel the awkwardness of those words coming from that man.

"Give her my thanks, but I'm not that hungry. They fed me before I got out here." he picked at the golden treat.

"It's for late hours. If you spent time with Mingyu, maybe you developed the same unhealthy sweet tooth."

"Not really." he mumbled with shame.

"Than you can consider it comfort food. I hear it helps." Kim tried again.

It sounded nice. If only it worked.

"Fresh air is good. I'll ask if you can do it more often."

"Mr.Kim." he cut him short. "What would it take to be left alone?" Woohyun huffed, handing him the paper bag. "You all seek answers I don't have. If anything, I'm learning more about Mingyu from you than you do from me. To be honest, I don't seem to have known him at all." He was beyond annoyed and intrigued, for that matter.

"We're sharing the same belief." Kim admitted in a retrospect voice, not once making eye contact with him.

"Listen to me. I am not the person to go to for...."

He had to stop due to a searing pain shooting up his chest. He didn't overdo it and he barely put up with a mild pain. How the hell could he face an entire family in this state?

"Are you alright? Should I bring..."

"No, stop it!" Woohyun shouted. "I don't want any attention. I hate being in the spotlight, I hate to have to deal with a bunch of goodwill strangers. I want nothing to do with this whole thing. I wasn't even supposed to be on that train."

He shouldn't have let all of that out of his system, but damn it felt good.

"As much as I'd love to question on that, I think you should really go back. Your breathing is not very good." Kim assessed with keen observation.

" you!" Woohyun all but lashed out. "You don't fool me. First time we met you were ready to have my  head and now I'm supposed to believe this goody two-shoes act of yours? What the hell do you want from me, huh?! Is this what you came back for?" he struggled to get the ring off his finger, all the while wheezing his effort. "Here, take the cursed thing and be gone with it."

By the time he managed to rip it off his finger and throw it at him, Woohyun was a shaking mess. He couldn't reason what triggered his reaction, but he sure as hell felt that he needed to distance himself.

If only he wasn't that physically impaired.

Kim took care of things in his own wretched rich way, calling and firmly ordering the medical personnel to do their damn job, not once breaking a sweat. 

Acting calm and collected had never been more irritating to see for Woohyun. And he had his share of being looked down on. He didn't need this specific person to play it so damn  classy in front of him.

So, he tried ditching the man, carelessly maneuvering his wheelchair, better said failing to even get one turn done.

It was a sight, alright. For the briefest moment Kim actually seemed concerned, only to rethink his foolish reaction and smugly advising Woohyun to cut the bluff off and wait for the cavalry to show him  back inside.

"Whatever did Mingyu consider fine in your communication skill is above my understanding." Woohyun huffed, colliding upfront with the man's leg. "You are as smooth of a handler as a gorilla in a fine china store." he continued grunting, mostly due to his inability to use force to get himself out of the other's way.

"Can't say I don't find it just as aberrant; you don't exactly meet his type." Kim retaliated with a contempt look.

If Woohyun didn't know any better he would've thought that was a bitter retort.

He stopped his insulting spree because, bottom line was he really didn't know any better. In fact, he knew zero about Mingyu's twin brother. What if the dude made use of his undeniable high up contacts and actually threw him in jail for talking to him like that? Not to mention what he could do if he found out the truth!

Woohyun felt himself gulping hard before he convinced himself to stop being so brave and mind his place. Even if he didn't cause Mingyu and Minseok's deaths, nothing would help him if he stayed silent any longer than fashionably late.

Much to his growing wonder, Woohyun was soon handled with outmost care and attention, their constant whispered Kim Sungangry giving away that foul character's nature.

By the time he was functional again, he discovered someone had placed his....well, the ring near his bed, again. He felt relief and angst with the same intensity. Stupid him, couldn't let go of the fantasy of a recent friendship, even a close resemblance of a family; he just couldn't give up the only item that brought them together. At the same time, he would be out of the equation, free to live away from judging twins and much too warm-hearted stranger mothers and their not-quite assintants.

"Master Kim returned it with his apologies." Jeon greeted him from the corner of the ward as soon as Woohyun ackowledged his presence.

"And pigs might fly." Woohyun snorted with irritation. "If it were really true, he'd be here in person, taking responsability like he does with everything else. So, there's actually no point covering for him. We'd already agreed on disagreeing; might as well save your breath." he grumbled, trying to find a better sitting position.

"You need any help with that?" Jeon offered politely.

"Wow, patronizing must run in the family." he said, making a displeased face. Or so he hoped; his wounds didn't exactly flatter his complexion at that moment.

"I mean no disrespect. You really look like you could use a bit of help." Jeon let him know without really being condescending.

"At what cost?" Woohyun stared him down. "I swear, Mingyu didn't hint any other malicious person beside his brother. So if I'm to go about how he handled things, I can only expect worse to come my way."

"I don't understand, I'm afraid."Jeon looked contrite.

"Sure. You have no idea how he came here to rile me up enough to make me rat on his brother and his relationship! Yeah, you go ahead and cover for him. Not that he'd need any of that. He's doing wonderful on his own. Something that you already know, right?"

"For some peculiar reason, you keep referring to Mingyu's affinity as if you weren't part of it."

"And what if I were?!" Woohyun finally broke down. "Neither of you bothered to find out what he did or what he'd been up to until he ing died! Did it even occured to you it would've been way better to just get in touch from time to time, instead of moping over his absence? No one really likes to be alone, you know? And what if he pushed off apologising for his choice; did that make him that bad of a person that you'd automatically renegade him? And now that he's dead you're all here trying to what? Hear from a stranger what his last days looked like? Grow a ing life!" he screamed with wheezing lungs.

He was dizzy by the time he realised he must've vent out from the wrong fuss. But it couldn't have been that terrible, since it got Jeon out of the ward.

His frail offensive only started from being cornered with a striking truth and he acted on instinct; something brand new for once. But what else could he have said when practically being dared( read that accused) to admit a misdeed?

He hadn't been directly involved with Mingyu. He never knew the man's story. How the hell would he plea his case with all those missing facts?

Once again, hoards of medical staff worked their wonders at the loud allarming devices he was still hooked up to, rendering his agitated body to a compliant mess. Drugs were both wonderful and scary at that point, but they did the trick.

The last thing he expected after being meticulously cautioned on his altering tenous state was the definite advice of home bedrest or future longterm damage. He shouldn't go on with that daredevil act if he wanted to get out of that in one functioning piece.

All swell and beautiful sounding. Just one glitch. Where the hell was he to find that home to rest?! 

"We've already briefed your family not to be too lenient. This is serious, Mr.Kim; you will not like the outcome if you keep pressuring your body." Dr.Byun warned before instructing the rest of his team to accomodate his instructions.

"Fam...what family?" Woohyun slurred to an attending nurse.

"The in-laws, of course." she smiled. "You didn't think they'll deny your place after losing their son. Mrs.Kim is already so deeply fond of you and would surely make any accommodations meet your rightful place."

Those people must've been crazier than himself. What was she going on about? He was far from related to them. 

And yet, there he was in one fine next morning.

Awake, allert, aided.

Accommodated .

Right in the heart of the Kim mansion.

Never one for fairytales, Woohyun wanted to shout the unfairness of his life. One time he got to live big and it was to play a dead man. 

"Of course, that's not such impossible a task. As soon as they find out the truth I'm as good as dead, anyways." he wailed, taking in his surroundings. His very lush surroundings.

"I trust you'll cope with your new venue."

The voice sounded rather familiar, but the inflection was alien when matched to the person addressing him.

"Mingyu....you gotta help me out." he hurried to seek the help of his friend with a drowning man's despair. "They think I'm Minseok....wait." he stopped reaching for the man. In the haze of the moment he mistook him for his brother. "I'm sorry. For a second, you looked..." he backed off with fright.

Only, he didn't expect the reaction to baffle him.

"Like my identical twin?" came the sad retort. "Crazy. It took Min dying for people comparing me to him." the other weighed.

The lightbulb almost blinded Woohyun's mind. And he rather wasn't that perceptive, but the harm was already done and the wheels in his head just kept turning on their own.

"You wish you would've fled instead of him." Woohyun concluded, making the other startle. "It was you who they've disregarded. Mingyu had always been into the limelight." he spoke in review. "You were the one they failed to see all along."

The look on the Kim heir was nothing short of a poker face for most, Woohyun could bet anything on that.

But the dispiriting stare escaping for just a brief moment was a strong telltale in itself and he was sure the man berated himself for letting it slip.

"My brother left home because he wanted to prove he wasn't my shadow." he tried fighting back, barely keeping from stomping his foot. Again, Woohyun was a bit amused by the vibe the other was sending. Imagining the actual stomping was even more hilarious when it was Kim Sunggyu related.

"He shouldn't have. All his miscues highlighted him enough to hide you in the dark." Woohyun summed up. "I think he finally understood that with his new status and was ashamed to have hurt you. He was coming back because of you." he concluded.

Minseok's influence was so vivid, it was like he helped him see things hidden from the outside world. And Woohyun knew how much meeting and loving Minseok really changed Mingyu; even if he'd heard it from his fiancee.

He didn't pity his twin brother; he didn't seem the type to accept it. But he felt somehow proud of reading him so clearly. Kim Sunggyu mastered the art of camouflage better than he himself was aware of. And he probably realised he shouldn't hold Mingyu responsable for that anymore.

One thing Woohyun did regret was that the brothers failed to tell each other those things.

If only Mingyu didn't die.

Come to think of it, what gave anyone that idea? From what he had gathered, his body was never found. What if he had survived the crash?...What if...

"So, who's the real Minseok?" 

The gravity of the accusation behind the question left him speechless. The other didn't ask in wonder, but pure count.

Did he just fall into a trap?