SILVER LINING

Eventually Going On Actually

Everything felt hazy, muffled. And before long it started aching, pain intensifying with each second he got even more alert.

He jinxed it. He ing dared to defy whatever fates played the human thread of life. 

Woohyun knew enough of pain to realize he was very much alive, as much as how painful his air intake felt.

He also knew loneliness and how loud silence could get around him in times when he needed a helping hand.

The fog around his brain was slowly dispersing, leaving dim flashes of recent disater play in slow motion. Screams of fear and pain and dread, physical torment blending with heart aches of things left unfinished. 

Dark, chill, cold. Gasping, wheezing, sigh. Each blink was changing his scenery from recent memories to reality.

And he became aware of the most disturbing fact in all this throbbing circus he'd become. A metallic glint was tightly squeeszing his ring finger.

The ripple crushing his bandaged torso was nothing compared to the agony of recalling how it came to be there and most of all what was missing. He couldn't stop the flow of tears; he may not have been worthy of them, but Minseok deserved every drop of it. He had seen him get speared by a piece of metal, probably dying at that very second, while he could only grip his bloody fingertips. He could only hope it didn't hurt. 

Oh, god. What ed up way of thinking was that?! He shouldn't even had to have that happen to him. He was .....

And then he remembered Mingyu! He hadn't been in the booth with them, but somehow he envisioned  him holding onto Minseok while gurgling some bloody nonsense towards him, until he stopped breathing. Was that just his brain playing tricks? It had felt so real back there. The crying must've alerted some specialized care, but all he wanted was to be granted at least mourning his new friends...family; if he was allowed to still call them that.

He almost had his wish when his eyes focused on the figure bordering his vision. 

Words would fail any attempt of asking forgiveness, but he welcomed the doom as the most fitting punishment.

He wasn't scared, he was downright terrified of the person looking down at him. But he deserved to receive the worst conduct for his foolish audacity.

"Mingyu.....'sry. I'...msososssry." he wailed incessantly, his body shaking under the shock of finding himself in the presence of someone recently thought dead.

"Mr.Kim, I'm gonna ask you to listen to ..."

He was too far gone in his frenzy to pay attention to what they asked of him, partly because he actually thought they were speaking to Mingyu. But the drugs cancelled his alertness enough to stop him imagining confusion etching Mingyu's features.

The second time he came to, it was to a far more secluded place, bright enough to depict the sun going down outside the room he was in. And a dormant embodiment of an elderly person keeping watch over him.

When sensing his stirring, the woman flinched, quickly recomposing herself to a flawless distinction.

"Oh, no...try not to move too much. I know you feel the need, but doctors still haven't been able to give a final diagnosis until you regained consciousness." she cooed, gently patting his hand, even holding onto it for a bit longer. Her eyes were glassy, but Woohyun had no idea what she was doing shedding them beside his bed.

"Can....have water?"  he tried asking, but his throat was scorched.

"I think we can manage at least that, before they come in." she smiled with trembling lips. He didn't know if she was weary because of age or worry, but he cared more she was there helping him drink through a straw.

"Thank you."

She didn't get to answer, soon enough doctors invading the ward and politely escorting presumably Mrs.Kim out while they performed the required examinations.

At his lack of response they considered amnesia due to his sustained injuries and were definitely optimistic that he'd regain his memories soon enough. He was so tired of trying to explain they got him mixed up with someone else, all the commotion bringing back that nice lady and oh, god! Mingyu.

He had to start facing his fate and stop playing hurt. Mingyu lost more than he could ever. He didn't know the connection between the two, but he was more aware of the fact that they did share the same name, so....not so hard guessing.

"I think it's enough for today, Dr. Byun. The poor soul has just come to, he couldn't even speak before. And ....he should be left to deal with his loss later. Now he has to gain his strength back, right honey?" she smiled at him, soon after grimacing." I'm sorry, I didn't get your name."she weeped in an embroidered handkerchief as the medical staff made their exit.

Definitely high class.

He was surpassed in his attempt to answer her, by Mingyu, who took it upon himself to enlighten the lady.

"Kim Minseok, mother. It's not that fancy a name that you'd forget." 

His voice bore such strain and almost animosity that it chilled Woohyun's being to the point he barely understood what it had been said.

"Oh, Gyu. Stop scaring him. He's already hurt as it is." the lady sniffed, taking a seat again next to Woohyun's bed.

"I'm....sorry. Madam." Woohyun tried to bow his head and form the right words. He sure hoped he didn't offend her, but it was only right to be as polite and supportive since he knew now he faced Minseok's mother in law. She would have loved him, he realized with bitterness. And he would've forgotten all his worries when he'd had met her.

The tears resurfaced as quick as the thought sunk in. And he hurried hiccupping his apologies to Mingyu as well. He would never stop apologizing, no matter how much physical pain he'd inflict on himself.

"I am so very sorry, Mingyu. Oh, god....I didn't even think ....Please forgive me. I never meant to...."

He met cold eyes and a frown that stared him down in shame and agony.

"Oh, sweetheart. We are sorry, too. But it was an accident. You had nothing to do with it, stop punishing yourself. Rest so you can mourn him properly. My dear, Mingyu." the lady cried alongside him. "Oh, a mother shouldn't have to send off her child before her, but..."

"Why weren't you with him?" Mingyu finally deemed fit to talk to him, even if it was judging." A mother should at least have a friggin' body to send off, instead of mourning a memory; a thing she's been doing for almost 8 years, anyways I might add." His hatred was so pure, it baffled Woohyun. Until he finally understood that that was not Mingyu, the sweet caring man that he met on the train. And the hurt and pain he was facing was not one of a widower, but...

He wished he'd be swallowed whole, but it was already too late.

He had to give them answers and he wasn't sure the timing would be best.

"Mother, we should go. There won't be any answers today; not so sure we'd ever get them." he looked at Woohyun. "Fancy surviving a crash and the only thing lost is just bits of memory." he his heels.

"Kim Sunggyu. I did not raise a vigilante punk. Have some consideration." The tone of authority was cutting edge and Woohyun feared both of them at that instant.

"I will consider one thing only. Mother." he added poker-faced. "In case you've forgotten, you raised two punks. Just because the wayward son died, doesn't mean I can't speak my mind." he stared Woohyun down. "Until you have a place to point us where we could retrieve his body from, I have nothing else to say to you. I won't be in tonight." he then addressed his mother.

"Minseok is his husband. You can at least offer him sympathy for his loss." the lady stopped his exit.

"That trait was Mingyu's turf." he only said, after a short break. Seeing his trembling hand, it didn't take Woohyun much to understand he was definitely affected by the loss of his brother. No wonder he'd hate the only survivor; presumably the person who stole his brother from them in the first place. 

But what would he feel when he found out Woohyun was even worse. He couldn't do that to them. He had to tell them.

And he most definitely wanted to know what happened to Minseok and Mingyu. Now he knew he didn't just dream it, they had died holding each other, but why the confusion about his identity. Apart from the ring on his finger, which most likely stood evidence of him being Mingyu's fiancee, there was nothing to indicate his alter ego. And they'd been in the same booth.

He had to get to the bottom of things fast.

"Forgive him." the lady whispered. "He never really got over Mingyu leaving in the first place. And now, they'll never meet again." she started crying. "I couldn't be more thankful that you managed to convince my son coming back, but Gyu...I think he was ready to forgive his brother, but this has ruined his hope."

"They're twins." Woohyun could only state obvious facts, he was still shocked.

"Mingyu didn't tell you?" she frowned.

"He, uhm....mentioned I'd feel surprised."

"With good reason, no?" she chuckled bitterly, touching the ring absent mindedly." I am so glad you're wearing it. I gave it to him on the sole condition he took his time chosing the perfect fit. It's meant to be kept safe and in return it'll keep you safe, too."

And that it did, unfortunately. His finger burned under the branding of the foreign band. He figured once the swelling went down, he'd be able to return it to the family. What was left of its rightful owners.

His injuries were taking turns making themselves the main lead in the show-tell charade of Woohyun's current condition. As much as he wished he'd flee and leave everything behind, he also felt a moral obligation to honor the memory of two people who out of the goodness of their hearts helped him without questioning his dubious state.

He chanced looking at the elder woman, taking in her stoic presence. It seemed she was keeping from crying, but the pain left cracks in her wrinkled face. He'd soon bring her even more torment, but, just like her son, she only tried to accomodate this stranger whom she falsely believed her son-in-law. She was so loving and it only stabbed Woohyun's heart even more.

At this point, he'd rather face the upset brother. He knew how to deal with raw power, namely him getting crushed. But it was something so familiar to him, that wouldn't make that much of a difference. Anything was better than playing with a woman who lost her son.

"I'm afraid we came a bit too strong over your current condition." she suddenly cleared . "I have absolutely no idea what Gyu told you about his  former family and here we are, trying to impose on your time. I'm deeply apologetic for not thinking things through."

"You lost a son." Woohyun spoke. "And I am certain I spent far less time with him than you, his family since forever."he pointed up. "He was anxious to be back, yes. But he was confident his choice would not offend his upbringing, no matter how foolish he ended up acting in his recent company."

"Thank you." she hiccupped. "I might not get another chance to hug him, but ...."

"He died loved. And he was loved till his last breath. That I can promise you. It was too fast to hurt." he tried to ammend at least a part of her agony. "That's all I can give you about him, I'm sorry."

"It's what any mother wants to know."

"I meant to ask....if I'm not too demanding."

"Yes, of course. What is it, dear?" she recomposed herself, standing a bit closer.

"We, uhm...we were traveling on a swiss ride. "

"Oh. You're wondering how come you're already in Korea, is that so?"

He nodded, under the shock of her detailed answer. It seemed he was gonna be as surprised as the Kims.

"Well, we did have to pull some tight strings, but I'm not ashamed to force the Kim name into good use for once. I guess you connected the dots by now, maybe Mingyu mentioned something?" 

"....how many can afford a first class trip on a Swiss Express?" he mumbled. "He might've left out a few details, but I wasn't that interested in knowing, either." he told her.

"As soon as the italian team of doctors gave us the clearing, we brought you back here. The accident occured just minutes after you've reached the Italian Alps area." she noted. "It was nothing short of a hassle to have you stabilized enough for such a long journey, but you were headed here anyways, right?"

Hell if he had any idea. When he boarded the train, he didn't even know it was an express cab, much less how far it headed.

For him, any distance he put between himself and his shady hookup would suffice. He'd been at his last drop of acceptance, when the er asked him to do time in his place. Not only did he tamper with racing cars engines to make some spare money, but he had the audacity to make it look Woohyun's fault, since he was never anything than a piece of trash, as he put it just before he tried to knock some sense into his skull with nothing other than a 4 way wheel brace. 

He could do with a bit of rough handling, some other sort of mild abuse, but forced to jail for a crime he didn't commit?

Woohyun might have been gullible to think he could be ackonowledged by someone for his mechanical skills, but he wouldn't give up his last chance of keeping away from such an ; even if he let him drag them all the way across to Switzerland, for a gold mine such as a swiss rally event. He had worked his off since the language barrier extended even to the basic communication and all his efforts would've gone to waste just because that creep that he considered his boyfriend wanted to make a little extra by tampering his honest hard work. Not to mention endangering the ones getting behind the wheel of the car Woohyun supposedly fixed.

He wouldn't be responsable for anyone's death.

And look how great that worked out! 

When he looked up, he found no one beside him. All his walk down memory lane must've sent that lady a 'Do Not Disturb' signal. He had to admit, it wasn't such a bad thing. They had been a bit too much on him, indeed.

Sleep didn't sound like a bad idea. He would have enough time panicking when he'd be more alert.