Truth that brings pain

Behind the Mask
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Momo’s POV:

I paced back and forth outside the door where I knew Nayeon was, debating whether or not to enter. I bit my lip and went to ring the bell. I waited for about a minute before the door creaked open revealing a puffy eyed Nayeon. I surged forward to stop her from slamming the door and managed to insert my foot in between before she could completely shut it. I ignored the pain that shot up from my foot being jammed as she pulled back the door and stared at me wide eyed.

"Why would you hurt yourself? Are you that dumb?" she yelled as she ran back inside the room while I rotated my throbbing foot. I'd be sore for  a day perhaps, but ultimately I'd be fine. I limped towards her door and leaned against the frame as she tossed an ice pack towards me. I bit my lip and placed it over my leg as I balanced myself on my good leg.

"Nay-"

"I don't want to hear it. I don't want anything to do with you. You're horrible. We're done. I'm done. I don't want to be your pawn." she snapped and I cursed my stars.

"You're not a pawn" I said when she finally stopped to catch her breath

"Oh? Really? I'm supposed to believe you just like that?" she scoffed.

"I mean- "

"See? You yourself said it! Momo, if Mina had shown me a video or some audio clip I'd doubt it, but you said it! You said it in a live call!"

"I didn't finish my explanation then!" I exploded

"What more do you have to say huh?"

"Nayeon, let me finish please!"

"I don't want to see you! You're worse than my ex! She left me without an explanation, but you- You outright admitted that I'm just one of your pawns. A plaything. I should have known that something like this was surreal. Everything we had went too fast and everything just seemed to click between us and I thought-.. It doesn't matter what I thought because we're over Momo. We're done. I don't want to see you, so please get out" she sobbed

"You didn't let me explain, Nayeon when I said pawn I didn't mean it that way.. I-. Look, my dad"

"Your dad! You blame your dad for everything don't you? For your misery, your lack of friends and everything? Ever consider the fact that you might be the problem too? I fell for your act. Yes, I did. I thought I loved you Momo. But, hearing that you used me as a plaything puts things into perspective and I can't and won't let myself be degraded like that."

"My dad is the reason you're parents are dead! My dad is the reason you lost your family! And you think I'm lying about him?" I asked, voice breaking.

"Wh-what?" she said as she staggered back to her bed as she fell onto it.  I closed my eyes and sighed. I hadn't meant to say that! Now it would only worsen things. Ugh.

"Nothing" I said trying to cover it up

"Just say it."

"Say it! Momo, just say it to my face!" she yelled through her tears.

"My dad he- He fought with your dad, and got real mad. So he sent an assassin to kill your family as revenge." I explained as calmly as I could without shaking as I remembered that day. The way the car flipped over me and as I saw the people in the car screaming and bleeding. That moment was the moment that got me to open my eyes and see what my father was doing. That day I'd killed innocent people.

"It was you wasn't it?" she asked after a long pause

"What?"

"You.. You were the assassin. You were the one supposed to kill me. You were the one who killed my family right?"

"I swear to god I-"

" A part of me knew it, you know? I don't know how but I just knew you had something to do with it. " she said, her eyes dull as she stared into my soul. What had I done? Why had I even come? I'd only made matters worse.

"Can you leave? Please? I don't want to see you. I cannot believe that I stayed in the same house as my family's killer. That I lived with someone like you. A monster. A sick and broken soul who probably thinks that others are just like her. That others don't feel pain and hurt when she breaks their hearts."

I left th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter