note

PARADOX (KRYBER)
krystal didn't come to school that monday. maybe she cut classes again. maybe she's avoiding you again.
 
you're not sure.
 
you just hope she's not with kai.
 
but of course, she'll be with kai. duh.
 
---
 
you were about to get some books for your next class when a piece of paper fell out of your locker.
 
it's not an ordinary paper, there was a message printed on it:
 
'building c. 3rd floor. chem lab. 6pm. make sure you're alone.'
 
you flipped the paper hoping to see the name of the sender, but there was none.
 
this could be a prank so you looked around to check if someone suspicious is nearby. there was none.
 
you went back to the note and stared at it, crumpling it after and throwing it in the nearest trash bin.
 
your last class would end five-thirty in the afternoon. there's no way you will fall into this trap of this mystery sender.
 
never.
 
---
 
it was silent in building c. your watch says it's seven minutes past six o'clock. most of the classes in this building end around four in the afternoon. you kind of understand why the sender had chosen this place and time.
 
you know going here is a bad idea but you are also aware you won't be able to get a peaceful sleep tonight if you won't find out who sent that note.
 
if this is some kind of sick joke then you'll surely beat the out of that person.
 
no one was in the hallway when you reached the third floor. you are slowly taking your steps towards the chem lab, not wanting to make the slightest hint of your presence.
 
you held the doorknob and took a deep breath before opening it.
 
this better be good...
 
you were expecting a person or a group of people waiting inside but there was none. the room is empty.
 
you went in further to check for any sign that would give you a clue you weren't fooled. still, you found nothing.
 
you scratched your head furiously, disappointed at yourself for even believing that little weird note.
 
but as you turn around to the exit the room, you jump in surprise to see someone standing behind the door with their arms folded across their chest.
 
"you're late."
 
you stared in awe at the sight of the person you least expect to see.
 
"krystal...?"
 
"what took you so long? i told you to come here at six, right?" she asked, irritated. "how long were you planning to make me wait?"
 
you blinked at her, still too shocked to say anything.
 
"are you sure no one's following you?" she asked.
 
you nodded. it's already past six. most of the students have gone home already.
 
"good." krystal closed the door and locked it.
 
you're still confused with what's happening. "were you the one who put the note in my locker?"
 
"yes."
 
it's surprising. you never thought she would make an effort to do something like that towards you.
 
"why?" you asked.
 
krystal put both hands inside her sweatshirt pocket and walked past you. "i wanted to talk to you about something."
 
you should be concerned about the real reason for this rendezvous but you can't stop yourself from gawking as you watch her made her way to sit on one table in front.
 
gosh. you surely missed her.
 
"i left that note because i don't want anyone to see us talk," she added.
 
you felt disappointed with that. "oh. right."
 
"it's not that i don't want them to see us," she said, maybe sensing you got offended. "kai's gonna get mad if he finds out."
 
you grunted. "ugh. what is your boyfriend's thing with me?"
 
her response was a deep and long sigh.
 
"does he know what happened during taeyeon's party?" you asked. she shook her head. "how about the school party before that?"
 
"not that one too. can't tell him that. he'll surely kill you."
 
you scoffed. "well, he can kill me if i can't get his kicked first."
 
she glares at you. "that's not funny, amber."
 
okay, that's something you didn't expect to hear from her. it hurts to know she cares for him this much. maybe she really loves him.
 
"right. i'm sorry."
 
"i'm just... worried..." she said, sighing again.
 
"i know," you said right away, not wanting her to continue what she's about to say.
 
you get it now. this talk is all about asking you not to beat up her boyfriend. if she wants an assurance, that's what you'll give her.
 
"look, as long as he won't touch me then i'll keep being calm, okay?" you said.
 
"and if he keeps on annoying you?" she asked, surprising you a bit she's aware how her boyfriend's being an to you.
 
"then maybe we just need to settle our argument once and for all," you answered, remembering kai telling you the same thing.
 
"then what about your scholarship? if you get into a fight with any students here you'll surely lose your scholarship, right?"
 
well, you kind of forgotten about that part.
 
"i don't want you losing that opportunity because of him," she said, looking down at the figure of her hands inside her sweatshirt pocket. "i wanted to talk to you because i want to warn you. kai seems to want to tease you until you lose your patience and beat him for it."
 
that makes little sense to you.
 
"what's with your boyfriend?" you asked, irritated. "is that how bad he wants me to be expelled? i don't remember doing anything against him. except..." you look away. "except for kissing you... twice..."
 
she looks away too and sighs once again. "he's jealous of you... like overly jealous of you."
 
you squinted your eyes. "jealous of me? i thought he doesn't know?"
 
"well, he doesn't know about what happened to us. but he..." she trails off, hesitating. "he thinks you like me..."
 
you blinked. "oh."
 
"i keep telling him it's impossible but he won't believe me," she said, pouting a bit. "why would someone like you want to be with someone like me, right?"
 
you eyed the floor, blushing this time.
 
why not?
 
"he says one of his friends saw us talking at hamster café," she continued. "it pissed him off. he told me the next time he saw us talking he won't hesitate to start a brawl with you."
 
you ran a palm over your face. "tsk. i'm sorry. that was my fault."
 
krystal went down from the table and walked over to you. "it's not your fault. and please don't get mad at him. it's pointless. he has nothing to lose. i don't want you messing up your studies just because of him."
 
you looked straight into her eyes, wanting to ask why the hell she is still with that jerk. but then you realised that the answer is obvious: she loves him that much and you don't want to hear her say that to your face.
 
"could you promise me you'd stay out of his way, out of trouble?" she asked.
 
it's clear to you now that whatever happens, she'll stick with him and this little friendship of yours will stay hidden for good.
 
and worse, it'll vanish soon.
 
you finally gave her a nod in response.
 
"thank you," she said, looking relieved. she fished her phone from her pocket to check it before putting it back. "so, umm, i saw you and suzy last saturday at the park."
 
you remember the scene right away, how she looked so happy with him. "yeah, we went out for a movie."
 
"so... i guess you two are finally... like together?"
 
"no."
 
"oh. but i saw her--"
 
"suzy has always been like that to me," you interrupted, not wanting her to get the wrong idea about you and suzy. "but we're not dating."
 
krystal furrowed her eyebrows. "then why the hell are you letting her kiss you like that?"
 
you were surprised by the sudden rise in her voice. "i-i'm sorry?"
 
"i saw her kiss you. she also kissed you that morning i was in your apartment. don't you think it's not right to let her keep doing that while you keep on saying that you're not together?"
 
you don't know what to say. you stood there speechless, watching krystal rant her thoughts out.
 
"if you don't like her then stop giving her false signals. set limitation on how sweet you two could be," she continued, looking upset. "unless you like her?"
 
you immediately shook your head. "no. i think she's nice but i don't like her in that way. i get your point. i should not make it hard for her."
 
"good."
 
you nod, not sure what to say next. krystal seemed mad at you for something you've done.
 
but if she's mad, then how come those pringles keep coming?
 
that made you remember something.
 
"hey. can i ask you something...?" you said and she gestures for you to continue. "well, the thing is i saw something at tiffany's last sunday."
 
you think you got krystal interested as she's eagerly looking at you now, waiting for your next words.
 
"umm... a box... pringles box..." you said.
 
her face softened. "oh."
 
"tiffany told me--"
 
"yes. those came from me," she shyly admitted, reaching for one of her earrings.
 
you instantly felt embarrassed at the situation too.
 
"i couldn't think of any other ways to thank you for saving me that night at the school party," she further admitted. "i'm sorry for lying about that."
 
you are internally screaming now, feeling glad that it was her all along.
 
"it's fine," you said, trying your best not to smile. "i mean, i should be the one thanking you, right? those pringles are a piece of heaven."
 
she smiles. "i'm glad to hear that. i was afraid you won't like those cans if you found out they came from me."
 
"why won't i?"
 
"remember i told you before how i always thought you hated me?" asked krystal. "that's the only way i had thought of to repay your kindness. and i've no plans of admitting it because i didn't expect we'd be friends."
 
hearing that made you feel happy. so, you're still friends. that's good to know.
 
"you don't need to bother yourself over those," you said. "you're not obligated to keep sending them. but thank you."
 
"i know. but i still want to. is that okay?" she asked.
 
"yeah... i guess? i mean, i'd love to get free pringles now and then." you chuckled. "may i ask why?"
 
her's phone rang out of the blue. she answered it quickly and said okay before putting it back in her pocket.
 
she turned to you. "my mom's downstairs. i need to go now."
 
you hope your face didn't show how sad you are. this is the best part of your day and it's ending now.
 
"okay. you take care, krystal."
 
"i'll see you around," she said, tapping your arm. she walked out of the room after.
 
you let out a loud sigh after the door shut, wondering when you will be able to talk to her again.
 
the door opened again, surprising you.
 
krystal stuck her head in. "by the way, i still keep on sending those because i..." she hesitated. "i guess i missed you..."
 
your stared at her, slack-jawed.
 
"i really should go now," she said, pulling back.
 
"krystal..."
 
she was halfway closing the door when she stopped. "yes?"
 
"i missed you too."
 
she had the same shock expression for a second before she broke into a full smile. "i'll see you around, okay?"
 
you gave her a nod.
 
she finally closed the door with a sweet smile still drawn on her face.