It’s in your nature

When Blood Meets Silver

Jinsol took a mouthful of her takeaway noodles, munching on them with a frown. “You saved a slayer, she killed the vampire, attacked you, but then... didn’t report you?”

“Yes. Well, I attacked the vampire, my target. And I happened to save her in the process.”

She swallowed her food before letting out a chuckle, almost chocking in the process. “Sure. And that vampire mentioned a mission?”

“Yes. And he was the one transforming Yeojin. There has to be a connection.”

“Like his mission was to transform her? But why her? She’s just a tiny high school girl.”

“Who knows.” Hyunjin took a gulp of the red liquid on her bottle. “But I want to find out. I have a feeling there’s much more behind that.”

“How? What leads do you have?”

“Aren’t you a detective? Help me.”

“How?”

Hyunjin sighed, finishing off her meal by swallowing the rest of her blood. “Fine, I’ll do it myself.”

“I never said I’m not going to help you, but we have nothing to work with.”

As Hyunjin breathed in through her nose, she recognized what she smelled. “Yeojin’s arriving. Did you send her the location?”

“Yes. Prepared to be a senpai?”

“Senpai your . I’m only doing this because you made me. You know I don’t want to get all soft with anyone at all.”

“Don’t blame me. You know you wouldn’t live with yourself if you didn’t help-”

“Wait.” Hyunjin raised her hand.

Her eyes opened wider as she took one longer, deeper breath. She was mistaken, she could only be mistaken.

But what if she was not?

Hyunjin stormed out the front door, where Yeojin was just a couple steps away from knocking. She halted when she saw Hyunjin, and just behind her, stood a hooded figure, with her blade raised in the air.

A hand grabbed on Yeojin’s arm, as Hyunjin took a step forward and pushed her behind her back. She launched forward, reaching for the attacker’s right wrist to stop her, and with her elbow, she hit under her chin, making her stumble back, and her hood fall back, revealing the face Hyunjin knew she would see – Heejin.

“What are you doing?” Hyunjin grabbed on her shirt, bringing her closer, staring into her eyes with her now glowing yellow ones.

“Let me go, vampire.”

“I’m afraid I can’t do that.”

Hyunjin spun and threw Heejin’s body inside her house like she was a ragged doll. She stumbled and rolled, until her back hit the side of the staircase at the furthest wall with a thud and a yelp. Yeojin gasped, tugging on Hyunjin’s sweater.

“What the hell?” Jinsol shouted from the inside, her chair scratching the floor.

Hyunjin went back inside with Yeojin. “Stay with Jinsol, and don’t be scared.”

Yeojin nodded and ran to Jinsol, who rested an arm around her shoulders, and threw a deep frown at Hyunjin. She ignored her, though, and approached Heejin, still on the floor, with her back against the staircase.

“What in the world were you trying to do? Were you seriously trying to kill her? Look at her, she’s a kid!” Hyunjin towered over her, pointing at Yeojin.

“Hyunjin-”

“I’m tired.” Hyunjin interrupted Jinsol. “I’m tired of our efforts in trying to live a normal life going down the drain because these slayers think we’re all the same.”

“Who cares if she’s a kid if she’s blood from people, and probably killing them? She was drinking blood at school! Where do you think she got it-”

“From me! Pig’s blood! I gave her the blood, or else, yeah, she would be blood from people.”

“Wha-what do you mean pig’s blood, you need human blood in order to survive, don’t give me that bull!” Heejin spat, trying to sound fierce, but Hyunjin could see how her eyebrows trembled.

Hyunjin grabbed on Heejin’s collar and pulled her up, until she was at her eye level. “You’re wrong. So damn wrong. Do you think she turned into a vampire because she wanted to? No one wants to become like this. She was turned yesterday, and you know who did it? The vampire I was supposed to kill, but you decided it was yours to kill. He said something weird when I was about to kill him, like it didn’t matter if he died, his mission was complete. Something is going on, and you’re definitely worrying about the wrong thing.”

Heejin widened her eyes, and Hyunjin realized she shouldn’t have said that last part. She cursed internally, and in that second where she lost focus, Heejin gritted her teeth and grabbed Hyunjin's wrists. With surprising strength, she set herself free. Heejin fixed her clothes and tried to walk past her, bumping against her shoulder on purpose. “Whatever. I did what I had to do. Consider yourself lucky I won’t kill you both tonight.”

“Not so fast.” Jinsol approached, her arm extended as to block Heejin, and Hyunjin took a step back to do the same. “I could literally arrest you right know, so you better do as we say.”

Hyunjin glanced at her, giving her a smirk.

“And who the hell are you?” Heejin asked, taking a step closer to her. “Another vampire?”

“Lay a finger on her and I swear to the moon I’ll gouge your eyeballs out.” Hyunjin stepped between them, glaring at Heejin with her yellow eyes and showing off her full-grown fangs.

Jinsol rested a hand on Hyunjin’s shoulder, and she relaxed. She took off her badge from inside her leather jacket and shoved it in front of Heejin. “I’m detective Jung Jinsol. I’m no vampire, but I know everything there is to know about them, as I also know how your kind hunt them without mercy. So, I’ll kindly ask you to cooperate with us if you don’t want to end up in jail for attempted murder.”

A shiver ran down Hyunjin’s neck. Jinsol was always such a kind, laid-back person, but when she needed to, she could be such a badass.

Heejin’s eyes went huge. She gave up and took a step back. “What do you want from me?”

“There’s actually a couple things I’m very curious about, and Hyunjin here must be even more.”

“Why didn’t you report me to your slayer friends yesterday?”

“Why didn’t you attack me?”

“Don’t answer a question with a question-” Jinsol said, but Hyunjin raised a hand in front of her.

“My target was that vampire. Why would I attack you?”

Heejin frowned and scoffed. “Why? Because you’re a vampire. You hunt humans, we hunt you.”

“Oh, do I, now? And you, Miss entitled vampire slayer, know better than me if I hunt humans or not?”

“It’s in your nature. I simply act against the monstrous things you all do. And I won’t let myself be fooled by that.”

Hyunjin flared her nostrils, and approaching Heejin even more, she shoved her index finger on Heejin’s chest. “And it’s in your nature to be a ing jerk and a murderer, let me tell you.”

A sob sounded in the silence that followed. The three of them turned to the source, to see Yeojin crying with her head in the table, resting between her arms.

“Oh, no, Yeojinie.” Jinsol ran to her, comforting the crying girl, mumbling comforting words close to her ears and rubbing her back and hair.

“You just tried to kill that girl." Hyunjin faced Heejin again. "A high schooler, an innocent girl that did absolutely nothing wrong. Don’t you feel ashamed? Or are you that heartless?”

Heejin didn’t answer, and instead, kept her eyes on Yeojin. On how she broke down, with reason, frustrated with everything that had already happened around her. Within a day, her entire life had changed drastically. Hyunjin couldn’t even look at it anymore, and trusted Jinsol to calm her down.

A meow came from just below her. Hyunjin looked down, at Diana, her beautiful grey Norwegian Forest, and Selene quickly joined her. Diana approached Heejin and rubbed her head on her ankle, while Selene hissed at her.

“Seriously, Diana?” Hyunjin rested her hands on her waist. “You came all the way down here to mingle with the enemy? And you, haven’t you been hissing a lot lately, Selene?”

Diana was a smart cat that didn’t trust people that easily. For her to approach Heejin...

“Cats?” Heejin asked.

“Hm, yes? Do all of you slayers have your head so far up your own you’ve never seen a cat before?” She squatted and scratched their chins. “Go upstairs, you two.” Hyunjin patted their bodies, pushing them towards the stairs.

“Why would you have cats?”

“Because I love cats?”

“I... I don’t understand.” Heejin shook her head. “And you don’t hurt them?”

Hyunjin gasped. “I know you think I’m a monster, but may the moon rid me of every being that vile. Cats are the purest souls in all of this world.”

“I've never heard of a vampire having cats for pets.”

“What kind of pets was I supposed to have? Bats hanging from a thread so I could sleep with them upside down?”

Yeojin chuckled, and Hyunjin looked back. The girl cleaned her eyes with a small smile, and Hyunjin couldn’t help but smile at her.

“You still haven’t answered my first question,” Hyunjin said, bringing Heejin to look at her. “Why didn’t you report me yesterday? You knew I was there. Why did you say there wasn’t anyone else when your friend asked you?”

Silence engulfed the room for a short while.

“That would mean we couldn’t leave until we found you, and we would also have to report you to the headquarters. I didn’t think that sounded right.”

Hyunjin frowned. “Why?”

“I have unfinished business with you.”

“Oh?” Hyunjin raised an eyebrow.

“Why did you attack the vampire and not me? I have to know. I thought that maybe I had mistaken you for a vampire, and that you were, I don’t know, a loner slayer, or something.”

“Well, you got your answer already, but I’ll answer more clearly now. Yes, I am a vampire, and yeah, I am a loner. But I hunt other vampires. The ones I know, with solid proof, that are dangerous for the human kind. Is this enough of an answer?”

Heejin didn’t answer.

“Wait...” Hyunjin irked an eyebrow. “Does that mean you were looking for me? Why did Yeojin get involved, then?"

“This was about Yeojin. I had no idea it would lead me to you in the process.”

“So, it was a coincidence? How did Yeojin even get reported so fast? She’s barely a day old.”

“Yes, it was a coincidence. I had no idea you... lived here. And I don’t know how they found her so fast. I’m just a slayer, I follow orders.”

“So, you just... kill. And there’s like, a team that looks for the vampires.”

“Basically,” Heejin said, gasping the next second. “Wait, I-I shouldn’t be talking about that. And I need to go.”

She tried, once again, to walk past Hyunjin, but she was faster and stronger to keep her in place.

“Where do you think you’re going, and what do you think you’re gonna tell your friends?" Hyunjin said between her teeth.

“I'll say what I need to say. Thanks for that info about the vampire on a mission, by the way.”

Hyunjin clenched her jaw. “You stay out of that. I will take care of it, whatever it is.”

“No, you stay out of it. It’s my job and the organization’s job to hunt vampires. I will report it, and we’ll look into it. "

“Listen here, you--”

“You two listen, brats.” Jinsol’s voice was so deep and empowering, both girls shot their head in its direction. She rested a hand in each of the girls’ shoulders. “If you report it to the organization, they’ll ask you where you got that information. What will you tell them? That a vampire birdie whispered it to you? Tell me, Heejin, what would happen if they were to find out that you were here, with two vampires, and did nothing?”

Heejin gulped, avoiding her eyes.

“Don't bother answering,” Jinsol went on. “Since the both of you know about this mission thing, and your goals are the same-”

“I’m not the same as this murderer!” Hyunjin said.

“You also kill vampires, you’re a murderer as well!” Heejin fought back. “I saw it with my own eyes!”

“I kill dangerous and harmful vampires!”

Jinsol dug her fingers into their clothes, regaining authority. “You both hunt dangerous and harmful vampires. So, you both should work on this.”

“What?! You out of your mind, I would never work with a slayer.”

“You’re crazy, I would never work with a vampire.”

“Fine,” Jinsol said, and with a fast movement, had both of Heejin’s hands behind her back. “You’re under arrest for attempted murder on a high school girl-”

“What, wait!” Heejin pleaded. “You don’t even have proof of what I did. Are you seriously going to blackmail me into working on this? Into lying and disrespecting orders from my organization and risk everything?”

“I’m not so much blackmailing you into cooperating, as I’m blackmailing you into not reporting anything about Hyunjin or Yeojin.” Jinsol smirked. “Also, Hyunjin, was the CCTV system on?”

“It always is.”

“That’s a lie. Vampires can hear and smell things much further away than humans, she wouldn’t need cameras if she knew someone’s approaching!”

Hyunjin laughed. She fetched her phone from her pocket, and after a few clicks, turned the phone to Heejin. Her chin dropped as she looked at the live footage from Hyunjin’s security camera just above the front door, showing the dirty path that connected her house to the main road, with tall trees surrounding the area.

Heejin grunted, struggling against Jinsol’s grip. “Alright, release me. But why should I ever trust a vampire? What tells me that she isn’t going to attack me when she pleases?”

“I saved you, you dumb fu-”

“First of all, enough with the insults,” Jinsol said. “I’m only alive today because Hyunjin saved my life a few years ago. And you probably are as well.”

Heejin scoffed. “As if that weak vampire would kill me.”

“He wasn’t weak, you weren’t paying attention and I had to intervene so he wouldn’t jump on you!”

“What did I just say?” Jinsol smacked Hyunjin’s head.

“Hey, I didn’t insult her!”

Jinsol took a deep breath. “And why should we trust you?”

“You’re blackmailing me,” Heejin stated dryly.

“I have absolutely no guarantee that you’re not a fanatic who will throw herself in jail for her organization and still choose to report them both, then have a bunch of slayers jump on them, so not even Hyunjin would be able to fight back.”

“You’re underestimating me.”

Another smack in the head, and a protest from Hyunjin. Heejin remained silent for a bit, as if she was searching for an excuse.

She met Hyunjin’s eyes. Hyunjin should had avoided it, but for some reason, she let Heejin hold her gaze. Hyunjin took the moment to properly look at Heejin’s features. At the eyes that maybe looked at her slightly different now, and her straight nose, and perfect lips, sharp cupid’s bow, and it was a fact that Heejin was a pretty girl.

Too bad she was a slayer and would always hate Hyunjin for something that she never asked for, or had control over.

“I have absolutely no interest in being thrown in jail,” Heejin finally answered.

“Is that enough of an answer to you, Hyunjin?” Jinsol asked.

“I never said I would work with her. I don’t want to.”

“This is not a question of wanting or not. Do you want to find out what’s going on? What’s behind the mission that vampire mentioned? Then you are going to work together. It’s the best for both of you. Heejin doesn’t mention anything to the organization and doesn’t put you at risk, and you have help. It’s a win-win situation.”

“We are not compatible. How do you expect us to work together?” Hyunjin said.

“Exactly! We don’t want to work together, why are you forcing us to?”

Jinsol sighed. “If we let you go, even if you guarantee that you wouldn’t report them, now you know something that I know a slayer wouldn’t be able to leave alone. Hyunjin is going to look into this, no matter what. So, if both of you happened to work on the same thing, but on your own, you’ll probably only do more harm than good. You would be competing against each other for no reason, when the goal is exactly the same. So, I’m forcing you both to work on this, so you don’t get in the way of each other. And if we all work on this, we have access to information from the headquarters that can be of great help, and you both have much more strength together. Both use silver weapons, and you, Heejin, have a vampire, with the same abilities as your enemies, fighting with you. Isn’t it great?” She finished with a big grin.

“So you expect me to leak information to a vampire?” Heejin dropped her chin.

“I trust that if your goal is really to stop rogue vampires from causing chaos, you’d be able to do that for the greater good.” Jinsol shrugged. “Besides, do you really have a choice now?”

Working, partnering, with a slayer?

Hyunjin swore she would stay a loner. There was no need for her to be with someone else. And it didn’t matter if that someone else was a slayer, she didn’t want to put anyone in danger. This was something she should do herself. By herself, only.

But what if... What if Heejin was different? She still hadn’t gotten a clear enough answer on why she chose not to report her. And apparently she was looking for her to ask her peacefully with no intentions of attacking. But then, she was about to kill a girl!

No... a vampire. Hyunjin shouldn’t forget about the person she once had been.

“Fine,” Hyunjin said. “Diana trusted her, so I’ll make an effort.”

“Diana? Your cat?” Heejin asked.

“Yes.”

“You’re gonna trust me because your cat liked me?”

“I didn’t say I would trust you, I said I would make an effort. I trust my cats more than anyone in this world.”

Jinsol cleared , crossing her arms across her chest.

“My cats and Jinsol.”

“Am I not a person?” Jinsol pointed at herself.

“No.”

Heejin laughed, but Hyunjin couldn’t tell if it was forced or not.

“But you need to promise you won’t lay a finger on Yeojin, and I don’t care about what will happen to you when you go back to your headquarters with your hands empty.” Hyunjin paused. “Wait, no. You’ll tell them that Yeojin is just an ordinary girl after all. I don’t want someone else after her.”

Heejin rolled her eyes. “Fine.”

“Great!” Jinsol clapped her hands. “Now hug!”

Hyunjin glared at her, and turned her back at them, walking towards Yeojin, who still sat, eyes fixed at them. “You can leave now, Heejin.”

“Wait, aren’t you going to, like, set up a meeting? You have to actually work on this, not just say you will.” Jinsol scolded.

“Yeah, whatever, show up tomorrow by this time if you want.” Hyunjin waved her hand, not minding to look back.

Jinsol sighed. “I’ll take you outside.”

Hyunjin sat down on the chair beside Yeojin, and let their steps fade until they were outside.

“I’m sorry about all of this. Are you okay?”

Yeojin dropped her head, fidgeting with her hands on her lap. “Was she really trying to... kill me?”

“Yeah. But she won’t do it anymore, or anyone else.”

“But why?” Yeojin rose her head, her eyes gleaming with small tears in the corner. “What did I do?”

Hyunjin smiled at her, laying a hand on her head. “Nothing. But there’s a lot to know now that you’re a vampire, and I’m here to help you. But first, how was your day? Are you hungry?”

The tears ran free from Yeojin’s eyes as she launched herself to Hyunjin, her arms around Hyunjin's broad shoulders and her face in the crook of her neck. Hyunjin became stone, hearing the girl’s sobs and incoherent mumbles.

The front door opened and closed again, and a couple steps later, Jinsol came into frame. Hyunjin looked at her, her eyes asking for help. Jinsol gave her a small smile, and motioned with her arms like she was hugging someone. Hyunjin rolled her eyes, and reluctantly, circled her buffed arms around Yeojin’s small and fragile body.

“It’s going to be fine,” Hyunjin whispered, telling herself that as well.

---

A/N: HEEJIN IS BACK! And she gets along with Hyunjin soooooo well doesn't she ^-^ I wonder how that will work out... kekeke